The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Version 5.0 works for UAD-1, I just downloaded and installed it on my system.

The RTAS issue also ONLY applies to a UAD-2 card. Version 5.0 works fine in RTAS with UAD-1.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

My question is if you own a couple of PCI cards and you buy and transfer your licenses a the UAD2 new card, can you use the old cards with licenses in a 2nd computer for example as long as you don't update to the new software?

Edit: After I thought about it of course you can as long as your under the 4 card limit.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Q: Additionally registered UAD-1 owners will be rewarded with bonus UAD$ vouchers for buying any UAD-2 before the end of 2008.

Anyone know how many UAD$ are offered for UAD-1 to UAD-2 owners?
You find the different promos here:
Universal Audio | Current Promotion

So it looks like 100 to 250 UAD$ depending on which card you buy.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Just throwing it out there, and I have a feeling I know what the answer will be, but...

Will the UAD-2 Xpander support Windows XP at all?
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
Give us 11 minutes, it's not even 9 am yet our time.
for sure, Eric. I'm just kidding
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cube View Post
That site doesnt exist..
Oh yes it does!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
My question is if you own a couple of PCI cards and you buy and transfer your licenses a the UAD2 new card, can you use the old cards with licenses in a 2nd computer for example as long as you don't update to the new software?

Edit: After I thought about it of course you can as long as your under the 4 card limit.
from the UAD2 faq:

If I transfer my UAD-1 plugs to UAD-2, can I use UAD-1 on one system and UAD-2 on another?

No, as this is a violation of the software end user license agreement. Your UAD-1 licenses can be transferred to the UAD-2 and can still be used on the UAD-1 as long as they are installed in the same system.
Old 29th August 2008
IMS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
PCI doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the UAD-2. Even if there were a product - even an ultra expensive expansion - that bridges the gap, you wouldn't want to use it because of PCI's inherent shortcomings.
I didn't realize that. I thought the difference between the PCI-X slots in my G5 and the PCIe were basically form factor. Aren't there chassis for multiple cards out there right now that plug into a PCI-X slot and give you a bunch of PCIe slots?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm happy with everything I've read so far. They didn't let the existing client base hanging one bit. You get to keep your UAD-1 cards, the new version of the software even allows you to pick and choose which plugins will run on the UAD-1 and UAD-2 (some of the existing plugs are not yet available for the UAD-2).

The only thing that I'm sure most people will have a problem with is the crossgrade fees, but if you have a ton of plugins, the most you pay to crossgrade the plugs is $250 (and to me, that's not a bad deal at all). Free if you decide to buy one of the UAD-2 cards b4 the end of the year and crossgrade your plugins though.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

...oh yeah, and for those who have been for years, crying that they should go native with their plugins, I suppose it's safe to say it ain't gonna happen!

A quad gives you 2.5 the processing power of a 4 UAD-1 card setup, and you can use 4 UAD-2 quads and 4 UAD-1s in one system, that's an insane amount of power.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post

The only thing that I'm sure most people will have a problem with is the crossgrade fees, but if you have a ton of plugins, the most you pay to crossgrade the plugs is $250 (and to me, that's not a bad deal at all). Free if you decide to buy one of the UAD-2 cards b4 the end of the year and crossgrade your plugins though.
Actually you don't have to pay any crossgrade fee if you buy the Uad-2 before the end of 2008.

//Jamzone
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict
can you please advise me ifwe can use vst2rtas still for the rtas problem workaround
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

So the new drivers aren't needed for people sticking w/ UAD-1 for now?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I didn't think I had to buy anything new for a while. Siiiiigh. I wonder what UAD-1's will be going for now used. I have a couple to sell.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear
With all the people arguing and complaining "Where is UAD2" for the last 3 years, I imagine these people will be purchasing the card within the next week.

Can't wait for the new products!

I guess I'll keep my 2 UAD1, and add a DUO. I've got almost all the plugs, I only really need a 33609 (which I'll actually be able to use now). Nice though.... No compatibility issues.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

From the UA website - note: the following issue are unfortunate.

• (UAD-2 RTAS) Pro Tools LE and HD are not officially supported with the UAD-2 in v5.0.0 due to crash and/or performance issues. If you elect to use the UAD-2 under Pro Tools, select a Hardware Buffer Size setting of no less than 1024 and use as few RTAS Processors as possible (set in Playback Engine settings in Pro Tools).
  • (UAD-2) UAD DelayComp and UAD TrackAdv plug-ins are not yet available for the UAD-2. These will be included in a future release.

anyone else reading the fine print here and found concerns?

Hobson
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

G5

Any idea if the G5 problem will still be there? mine is one of the bad chip one... since i moved to G5 (from a G4) i can't run half the plugins i use to...
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear
As long as the UAD1 card still works and you can select which plugs run off of it, I don't have any concerns. I think the bases are covered, anything else just requires a bit of patience.
Old 29th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS View Post
I didn't realize that. I thought the difference between the PCI-X slots in my G5 and the PCIe were basically form factor. Aren't there chassis for multiple cards out there right now that plug into a PCI-X slot and give you a bunch of PCIe slots?

I'd like to know as well...even if the UAD-2 performance suffers as a result. Bottom line is I can't afford to upgrade my G5 right now, but i can't afford to NOT get at least a UAD-2 solo by Jan, cause otherwise i'll have to pay 250$ to upgrade my plugs...ontop of a new computer.

I could just buy the solo or duo now, and just leave it on the shelf till i get a new mac pro, but how would I register it at UA.com? don't think it's possible. I'd need to get my two UAD-1s and a UAD-2 in the same machine i think. Is this right?

Question: If you own a desktop with 3 UAD-1 cards, and you own a UAD-expander can they share plugin auths?
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

bah...
scratch that.. the UAD2 is pcie only..
I'm definitely gonna have to upgrade to an intel soon...
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post

I could just buy the solo or duo now, and just leave it on the shelf till i get a new mac pro, but how would I register it at UA.com? don't think it's possible. I'd need to get my two UAD-1s and a UAD-2 in the same machine i think. Is this right?
In this case I think youll be fine - you can register the card ID without having it installed. I did this once with a UAD1 card - should work.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I guess lots of us G5 owners will now have to get an intel mac...

No way around it really.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

5.00 totaly rocks ! ! !

on my 4 UAD-1's . . . . .
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Isn't the principle the same that if your cards (UAD1 or 2) are in the same group they share the same licenses no matter on how many computers they physically run?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

UAD-2 Grossly Overpriced

Considering how far they were behind, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the UAD2 Quad is almost 1500.00 even if it is 10 times the old UAD Card. They were 20 times behind the current card. The UAD Quad should have come in at 599.00 and it should have been the only option.

I would not touch UAD ever again after this, it’s crazy. Most of you are going nuts over it, I just don’t get it.

If they ran it natively, we could get a 50 times the performance for free on our computers like we do with other Native options.

My perspective would be different if they did not have their head in their butt on this by grossly overcharging for and update to a grossly outdated piece of gear.

I am dumbfounded.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Come on, man.

- c
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
...oh yeah, and for those who have been for years, crying that they should go native with their plugins, I suppose it's safe to say it ain't gonna happen!
Sadly, I wanted to run zero latency or low latency by running them natively. Looks like not going to happen though.

That said I wonder how many instances of plugins the LiveTrack mode can pull out, and how low the latency is.
Old 29th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
In this case I think youll be fine - you can register the card ID without having it installed. I did this once with a UAD1 card - should work.

Nice thanks. haha it will be hard to buy and then leave that UAD-2 on the shelf till i get a new mac though...ouch.

At least I know I have 5-8 years before the UAD-3 comes out!
Old 29th August 2008
IMS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I guess lots of us G5 owners will now have to get an intel mac...

No way around it really.
Not a viable option for me--I would have to then either buy an expansion chassis to put my HD2 system in or crossgrade with Digidesign. No idea how much the crossgrade would be but I imagine a lot. Add that to the cost of a new Mac plus the UAD-2 and it's probably pushing $10k. Plus all the hassle of switching machines (when my old one works just fine, no less). No way.

I have to believe there are a fair number of PTHD users in the same boat.
Old 29th August 2008
I see no performance increase in 5.0 on my 3 UAD-1 PCI cards with Reaper. I guess the multi-core aware drivers and load balancing only apply to UAD-2
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search