The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

And finally it is officially here! UAD page is updated:

Universal Audio | Home

Kool!
D.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
So what have all the naysayers and whiners to say now?

How many pages of madness were there?

I was a naysayer. But dont toot ur horn- it's been 6 years since uad-2 rumours began. hard not be.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
www.uad-2.com

New website
That site doesnt exist..
Old 29th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
#

# (UAD-2 RTAS) Pro Tools LE and HD are not officially supported with the UAD-2 in v5.0.0 due to crash and/or performance issues. If you elect to use the UAD-2 under Pro Tools, select a Hardware Buffer Size setting of no less than 1024 and use as few RTAS Processors as possible (set in Playback Engine settings in Pro Tools).
Aww, what kind of crap is this? Looks like a no go for me then, at least until they get this worked out...
Old 29th August 2008
I need one!!!!! Fast!!!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

just ordered one quad
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

CorkyTart & all-

Link looks gone now. Everything is now on the main site (Universal Audio | Home). Looks like new info too.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
So the existing "give us the license and we'll maintain the plugins" is great...at least that's how I think it works with UA...but having J. Random programmer dude from the other side of the planet writing UAD code on their own is a recipe for chaos.
Yes, you're correct on all counts. Sorry for previously misunderstanding your position.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
JRR Shop will be receiving and shipping UAD-2's today.
...is mine on the road allready?
Old 29th August 2008

"for a limied time [UAD 1] customers can crossgrade their plugins free of charge"

I wonder what that means, does this mean I have to buy a new card immediately? I don't even have a desktop at the moment, but I kept my card to keep the licences..

[edit:] found it, but it doesn't say when this takes effect

Quote:
Existing UAD-1/1e/Xpander Plug-In Authorization Licenses (Excluding the Mix Essentials Plug-Ins which are included with all UAD-2 products) can be transferred to your new UAD-2 product for a nominal transfer/porting fee of $25/per Plug-In with a maximum of 10 Plug-Ins($250). So if you are transferring more than 10 Plug-Ins, there is no charge for plug-ins 11 and above.
narco
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Aww, what kind of crap is this? Looks like a no go for me then, at least until they get this worked out...
They are not supporting RTAS until a later date.

The Quote Below was from an email I received from Front End Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front End Audio
In order to improve the user experience of Powered Plug-Ins for RTAS users, we decided that we needed more development and testing time. Getting RTAS support is a top priority, and rest assured official RTAS support will be available in a future free software update. We apologize to all RTAS users for the inconvenience. *NOTE: RTAS is still supported for UAD-1
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

The version 5 software is online for downloading as well now

D.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cube View Post
Although it's not confirmed yet, I am sure there will be an Xpander version of the UAD2 and it most certainly will be via ExpressCard BUS.
I can't seem to find the UAD2 Xpander on the website. Discontinued?

- c
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

LOL serves em right, all them dfegadpro tools snobs
Old 29th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Wow, that letter got quoted quick! We are taking orders for UAD-2 right now.

Here is the FAQ in full below:

UAD-2 FAQ
Questions about the UAD-2 and the new features
1. Q: Where can I find out more about UAD-2?
• A: Make sure to check out all the online UAD-2 product information available at
o Universal Audio | UAD-2
o Universal Audio | Home
2. Q: When and where can I get one?
• A: UAD-2 is available now! Visit the dealer locator on our website to find a dealer near you.
3. Q: How much more powerful is the UAD-2 over the UAD-1?
• A: UAD-2 comes in 3 basic configurations
o Solo (1 DSP chip, approximately 2.5X the power of UAD-1)
o Duo (2 DSP chips, approximately 5X the power of UAD-1)
o Quad (4 DSP chips, approximately 10X the power of UAD-1)
4. Q: Which UAD-1 plug-ins are available for the UAD-2?
• A: The majority have already been ported as of Version 5.0 software. The plug-ins that remain to be ported are
noted in the list below.
o Roland RE-201
o Precision Maximizer
o Precision De-Esser
o Precision Buss Compressor
o Precision Enhancer kHz
o SPL Transient Designer
o VCA VU
o NOTE: Nigel has been discontinued for UAD-2 (see below for more details)
5. Q: When will the remaining plug-ins be ported to the UAD-2?
• A: The remaining Powered Plug-Ins are currently being ported chronologically to the UAD-2, and will be released in
subsequent software updates.
6. Q: Is my PC/Mac hardware compatible with UAD-2?
• A: Most PCIe PC and Mac hardware is compatible. See the UAD compatibility page for latest details, and tech notes.
7. Q: Has UAD-2 solved the multi-core spiking issues with Logic 8 and the Mac 8-core?
• A: Yes, because of the new architecture of the UAD-2 this is not a issue.
8. Q: Is my DAW compatible with UAD-2?
• A: Most popular VST and AU DAW’s and Wave Editors are compatible. See the UAD compatibility page for latest
details and tech notes.
9. Q: Why isn't RTAS supported in v5.0 and when will it be available?
• A: In order to improve the user experience of Powered Plug-Ins for RTAS users, we decided that we needed more
development and testing time. Getting RTAS support is a top priority, and rest assured official RTAS support will be
available in a future free software update. We apologize to all RTAS users for the inconvenience.
• NOTE: RTAS is still supported for UAD-1
10. Q: Will UAD-1 products continue to be available?
• A: Yes, the UAD-1 Project Pak, UAD-1 Flexi Pak, UAD-1e Express Pak will continue to be available. At the new lower
prices they are a great value for people new to UAD and for users that require a PCI solution.
11. Q: Will you continue to develop and release plug-ins for UAD-1?
• A: Yes, we will continue to develop and release plug-ins for UAD-1 until further notice.
12. Q: Will there be a UAD-2 solution for laptop?
• A: Yes, we are working on a new Xpander laptop solution and we hope to have more information later this year.
13. Q: How does the new Registration/Authorization system work?
• A: The process of registering cards to your my.uaudio account and getting authorization files has been streamlined
in v5.0. Just go to the “Plug-Ins” pane in the new UAD Control Panel and click the “Authorize Plug-Ins…” button.
The my.uaudio.com online store opens in the default web browser. If you don’t already have an account you are
directed to create one. Follow the instructions on screen to download your Authorization File, then Drag and Drop
the auth file onto any UAD Meter & Control Panel icon/shortcut/alias.
14. Q: How does the new LoadLock™ feature work and should I leave it on or turn it off?
• A: DSP LoadLock reserves the maximum UAD-2 DSP load required by each plug-in, even if certain features are
disabled. This ensures there will always be enough DSP if those features are later enabled, or when automating
parameters that affect DSP load. LoadLock can be disabled if you prefer to manage your DSP resources manually.
LoadLock is ON by default.
15. Q: How does the new LiveTrack™ feature work?
• A: The LiveTrack mode reduces latency on an active UAD-2 plug-in to the lowest possible amount. This feature is
highly useful for monitoring processed audio when recording live performances. In LiveTrack Mode, UAD-2 signal
data is transferred and processed “immediately” instead of being buffered, resulting in reduced latency.
• NOTE: When LiveTrack is active, host CPU loading increases. LiveTrack does not reduce the latency of your Audio
Interface. There are some caveats in some hosts. See the UAD compatibility page for more details.
16. Q: Why don't I always get 2.5X instances on UAD-2 vs. UAD-1 plug-ins?
• A: UAD-2 individual plug-in instances per DSP chip will vary (1.5X~5X) based on the plug-in combination selected
with the average session being around 2.5X. For many plugs you will get substantially more than 2.5X the
instances, for example you can get over 5X the number of Neve 1081 EQ’s on a UAD-2!
17. Q: Why don’t I get 32/64/128 channels of 88RS on my Nevana 32/64/128?
• A: 32/64/128 channel counts are based on Mono instances of the Neve® 88RS channel strip @44.1kHz/24-bit,
with full EQ, cut filters, and either the Gate/Exp *or* Comp/Limit enabled and LoadLock = OFF.
18. Q: Why isn’t Nigel in the Mix Essentials II?
• A: Because of legal trademark issues Nigel has been discontinued for UAD-2.
19. Q: When will the Empirical Labs Fatso be released for UAD-2?
• A: We are busy working on this highly requested emulation as you read this and we hope to have more information
later this year.
20. Q: What Magma and/or other expansion chassis’ are compatible with UAD-2?
• A: We are still testing expansion chassis compatibility. Details and tech notes will be posted on the UAD
compatibility page.
Questions about migrating from UAD-1 to UAD-2
1. Q: Can I use all my UAD-1 plug-ins on the UAD-2?
• A: Since UAD-2 uses a brand new DSP architecture, UAD-1 plug-ins cannot be used “as is” with a UAD-2. UAD-
2 will require new UAD-2 versions of the plug-in software and authorizations.
2. Q: Can UAD-1 and UAD-2 cards co-exist in the same computer?
• A: Yes, up to 4 UAD-1’s and 4 UAD-2’s are supported.
3. Q: How many UAD-1's and UAD-2's can I run using the same software license?
• A: You can use up to 4 UAD-1’s and 4 UAD-2’s in one system using the same software license.
4. Q: I own some plug-ins that are still missing from UAD-2, what happens to my authorizations? Can I crossgrade?
• A: Your authorizations can be crossgraded to UAD-2 even though they are not yet available, and you can still of
course use them on the UAD-1, as long as they are both in the same system. When the plug-in become available,
just download the latest version Software and update your Authorization File.
5. Q: Will my UAD-1 DAW sessions/projects be compatible with UAD-2?
• A: Yes, UAD v5.0 software features SessionMap™ which allows bi-directional UAD-1<>UAD-2 session
compatibility (via plug-in ID sharing) so you can open your existing sessions/projects without having to manually
remap your plug-ins. You can also use your UAD-1 alongside your UAD-2 and choose which one you want a certain
plug-in title to run on, and can also work with other collaborators who are using UAD.
• NOTE: Session recall is limited to availability of plug-in authorizations and available hardware resources.
6. Q: How do I move all my plug-ins to UAD-2?
• A: When you register/authorize your new UAD-2 card(s) the server will check your my.uaudio account for the
presence of registered UAD-1 hardware and UAD-1 plug-in licenses. You will be prompted during the reg/auth
process whether you want to crossgrade your UAD-1 Plug-In Licenses to your new UAD-2. Crossgrading of plug-in
licenses from UAD-1 to UAD-2 will be free of charge till the end of 2008. See the Promos page for more details.
7. Q: Will I be able to trade in my UAD-1 hardware for UAD-2 hardware?
• A: We are not offering a “physical” trade-in, but we have very attractive hardware crossgrade promotions when you
upgrade to UAD-2. See the Promos page for more details.
8. Q: I want to buy a UAD-2 and sell/transfer ownership of my UAD-1, what should I do?
• A: If you want to run your UAD-1 plug-ins on your new UAD-2 make sure you crossgrade your licenses to UAD-2
before you sell your UAD-1 card.
• If you decide to sell the UAD-1 after transferring your licenses to a UAD-2, the UAD-1, UAD-1e or Xpander will
revert to Mix Essentials Only. Mackie UAD cards will have Mix Essentials + 1176LN & LA-2A.
• To make a request for transfer, fill out all the information in the “Transfer UAD Hardware” form which can be found
at My Universal Audio | Online Store then click "Submit Transfer Request".
• Note: All UAD transfers must be validated by Universal Audio customer service. We must verify the correct seller
and buyer details before we can re-allocate hardware and/or plug-ins. Once UA customer support has received the
proper buyer and seller details, we will make sure all the registered hardware and/or plug-ins are removed from
your account and attributed to the new owner.
9. Q: I have several UAD cards and plug-in licenses, and want to sell one of the cards. Can I sell the card with my plug-in
licenses?
• A: UAD multicard setups, or single cards that have been split away from a system/group, can be resold and the
licenses transferred, and we can facilitate a transfer. However, the license agreed to during installation can only
exist between UA and a single user. Therefore the UAD transfer policy is all or none, meaning you can either sell a
single card with all of your multicard plug-ins, or no plug-ins at all. Plug-in licenses/authorizations can't be shared
or split among multiple users.
• Once again, before you deliver a second-hand UAD card, you (the seller) must e-mail a transfer request to us,
including the owner/seller name, hardware ID(s), user's e-mail ID (my.uaudio.com ID), and buyer name and email
address. Buyers should make it clear to the seller that he or she must contact UA before you conclude your
transaction.
10. Q: I want to sell one or more of my plug-in licenses without selling my UAD(s). Is that possible?
• A: Unfortunately not. We are going the extra mile to help customers resell UAD cards and transfer their plug-ins,
but we can't get tangled up in the second-hand plug-in business.
11. Q: If I transfer my UAD-1 plugs to UAD-2, can I use UAD-1 on one system and UAD-2 on another?
• A: No, as this is a violation of the software end user license agreement. Your UAD-1 licenses can be transferred to
the UAD-2 and can still be used on the UAD-1 as long as they are installed in the same system
Old 29th August 2008
I was looking at the promo video and the part that says that third party plugins developers are able to program for the uad-2 cards were showing Logic's Space Designer and some Native Instruments uhm.. instrument? Anybody know what the story is here?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Reading towards the bottom about being charge in December for crossgrading plug-ins... I wonder what that means!!!
Through December, 2008, Universal Audio will transfer all your UAD-1 licenses to your new UAD-2 cards for free. Once you have transferred the licenses, they will continue to work on any additional UAD-2's you purchase in the future, as well as your original UAD-1's. After this initial period, there will be a relatively hefty crossgrade fee for this service (charged per plug-in).
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

UAD -2 is now available!!!!!! pick it up!! Boooyahhh!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS View Post
I asked this question on the other thread but got no answer there--what about those of us who are not interested in spending thousands replacing our PCI-only computers? Is there a PCI to PCIe bridge/product out there other than some ultra expensive expansion chassis? Otherwise I'm out of luck unless/until I actually replace my G5...
PCI doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the UAD-2. Even if there were a product - even an ultra expensive expansion - that bridges the gap, you wouldn't want to use it because of PCI's inherent shortcomings.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
"for a limied time [UAD 1] customers can crossgrade their plugins free of charge"

I wonder what that means, does this mean I have to buy a new card immediately? I don't even have a desktop at the moment, but I kept my card to keep the licences..
From the UA website it appears early adoptors will get rewarded with a free cross-grade to the equivalent UAD-2 plugins. After Dec 31st, 2008 there will be a cross-grade fee. I am putting in an order for a Quad so that sounds good to me as I already own every plugin license and will save me an additional $250 bucks.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzamir View Post
...is mine on the road allready?
Give us 11 minutes, it's not even 9 am yet our time.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
I said there WILL be a UAD2 Xpander. Didn't say it would be today!

My guess is first half 2009.

countingdown as we go..
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
12. Q: Will there be a UAD-2 solution for laptop?
• A: Yes, we are working on a new Xpander laptop solution and we hope to have more information later this year.

There you go SS! My previous guess was spot on. more info later this year means release by H1 2009

Please send my prize lol
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

no Live Track mode for SOLO?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I wonder what's the deal of the LiveTrack thingy.

Anyone who got their hands on do report here.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

So heres a question...
will UAD2 software run on UAD-1? but be at a loss for processing power?
or will there be UPDATES for UAD-1 and then updates for UAD-2...and each version of the card is a seperate and needs its own software?

as in is Version 5.0 for UAD-1 as well?? or JUST the UAD2 cards???

hopefully get one very soon here.
but i only have ONE PCIe slot open. ...
maybe i can just get rid of the olc PCI cards....
or maybe i put them on a back up system.

Durv
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Q: Additionally registered UAD-1 owners will be rewarded with bonus UAD$ vouchers for buying any UAD-2 before the end of 2008.

Anyone know how many UAD$ are offered for UAD-1 to UAD-2 owners?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv View Post
So heres a question...
will UAD2 software run on UAD-1? but be at a loss for processing power?
or will there be UPDATES for UAD-1 and then updates for UAD-2...and each version of the card is a seperate and needs its own software?

as in is Version 5.0 for UAD-1 as well?? or JUST the UAD2 cards???

hopefully get one very soon here.
but i only have ONE PCIe slot open. ...
maybe i can just get rid of the olc PCI cards....
or maybe i put them on a back up system.

Durv
the video shows, that both cards could work together! the meter shows UAD-1 and UAD-2!

i´m still a naysayer for the PTHD-thing...
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

UAD2 is here!!!

it's here!!!

Universal Audio | UAD-2 Quad

if you get the quad they give a $250 voucher and you get the power of 10 UAD1's on 1 card
thats the way I am going to go,time for a new Mac as well!!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Q: Additionally registered UAD-1 owners will be rewarded with bonus UAD$ vouchers for buying any UAD-2 before the end of 2008.

Anyone know how many UAD$ are offered for UAD-1 to UAD-2 owners?

Similar to the PCI to PCIe crossgrade

Current UAD1 owners get the following vouchers when registering a UAD2:
Single - $100
Duo - $150
Quad - $250
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search