The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
in the video about the sharc chips, one of the guys mentions sample rate conversion and SPDIF as things that can be done. So i'm guessing that the Neve version of the card might come with some kind of hardware interface??
yeah, for sure. i bet it will be the 8816 as a result of a deeper neve-uad co-op.

guys, calm down, it's just a new card with more processing power.

as for upgrading, it will be like changing from pci to pci-e = pay the full price for every new card and get a "amount xy"-coupon for their webstore.

however, i will buy 2 .
Old 29th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Oh, I'm sure people will complain no matter what. The Neve 33609 already takes up one UAD-1's power, so if a Quad is around 10X the power of a UAD-1, that means people will only be able to use 10 33609s on a session, and I'm sure someone will find that "weak" and how native would give you an unlimited count, blah, blah, blah.

to be fair, one neve33609 takes up about 67% of a card, not a whole card. So on a UAD-2 solo, assuming all else is equal, you should be able to run 3 per card (which would consume 80% of the card's DSP so you'd still have room to run a number of other plugs). On a quad card, assuming you can't have plugs running across DSP chips, that's 12 instances, with the equivalent of 20%x4=80% of a whole SHARC chip left for other plugins. If you can run plugs across chips, you can get another 3 instances in.

But yea in the end you are right, the nativists will be out whining as usual, but at least they won't have a leg to stand on anymore. Because with multiple quads, you could run almost 50 33609s. And that'd be insane. nobody needs a 33609 on every track, they aren't the most versatile compressors anyway. Needing more than 4, (or just one, and having room for other plugs) 33609s running live is an easy scenario to envision, and with the UAD-1, it's not possible.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancekid View Post
yeah, for sure. i bet it will be the 8816 as a result of a deeper neve-uad co-op.

guys, calm down, it's just a new card with more processing power.

as for upgrading, it will be like changing from pci to pci-e = pay the full price for every new card and get a "amount xy"-coupon for their webstore.

however, i will buy 2 .
why should we calm down? its been (7) years!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
why should we calm down? its been (7) years!
i hear you man, i'm waiting too but i'm not expecting any wonders, that's all.

i will be one of the first to buy 2 quads as long as they work straight out of the box and not some kind of beta testers pre-release stuff like 99% of the stuff you buy nowadays.

+ they better should work 100% in my mac pro
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

UAD2 is a PCIE card

Universal Audio | UAD-2
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
to be fair, one neve33609 takes up about 67% of a card, not a whole card. So on a UAD-2 solo, assuming all else is equal, you should be able to run 3 per card (which would consume 80% of the card's DSP so you'd still have room to run a number of other plugs). On a quad card, assuming you can't have plugs running across DSP chips, that's 12 instances, with the equivalent of 20%x4=80% of a whole SHARC chip left for other plugins. If you can run plugs across chips, you can get another 3 instances in.

But yea in the end you are right, the nativists will be out whining as usual, but at least they won't have a leg to stand on anymore. Because with multiple quads, you could run almost 50 33609s. And that'd be insane. nobody needs a 33609 on every track, they aren't the most versatile compressors anyway. Needing more than 4, (or just one, and having room for other plugs) 33609s running live is an easy scenario to envision, and with the UAD-1, it's not possible.
personally, theyre on the bottom of my list are far as the plugins they have goes -- i just can't click with them -- maybe it just doesn't work too well for hip hop..
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

thanks for the link.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

For Real?heh
Old 29th August 2008
Holy ****! Go watch the movie.

Too many cool things to list...including improvements for multi-core computers and load balancing for UAD-1 in software version 5.0!!!!

Finally I should be able to use my UAD-1's in Reaper with my Q6600!!

FINALLY!!!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba View Post
Holy ****! Go watch the movie.

Too many cool things to list...including improvements for multi-core computers and load balancing for UAD-1 in software version 5.0!!!!

Finally I should be able to use my UAD-1's in Reaper with my Q6600!!

FINALLY!!!
go to their youtube page:

YouTube - UAD-2 Trailer
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
Well, they upgraded the slutz to a uad-2 QUAD a week ago.

Didn't you notice the smooth transition,

the increased reliablity,

the enhanced performance,

the increased capability?

LOL! .........scary
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Load balancing is finally here.

I also love the fact that you can use the old cards with the new ones.....AMAZING.....
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Maybe I am blind but it looks like a PCIe to me.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Nothing shocking in that video...but glad to see it anyway.

I need to know the trade-in deal UA!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Interesting stuff thanks for posting the link

I am amazed that after 7 years, the fastest DSP chip (Sharc) they could find was only 2.5 times faster than their current card

A UAD-2 Quad provides 10x's the DSP power of the current UAD-1 which is plenty of power for most

Still no mention about the plugins and the card working at lower latencies which is a pretty critical piece IMHO

Very cool that it still works with UAD-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

I don't think they are going to offer this, that is why they made their software compatible with the UAD-1 and you can use both cards on the same system
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum, Ralph View Post
either go to JRRshop or to their youtube page:

YouTube - UAD-2 Trailer

Whooo hoo!
I think they have hit the nail on the head here...they answered most i not all the criticisms, at least mine. They haven't tried to be too ambitious (that can come later) but have definitely made the upgrade that we need. And enough to attract a new generation of UAD users. There is a likely hood now that you will start to see all UAD 2 studios in near future with 4 quads.

So all we need now is release dates, definite prices, and for them to work properly from jump, and their share price will go through the roof!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

Damn, this really looks nice. Now I am just interested to see if there will be any offers for existing users. But I'm in anyway!

D.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

So what have all the naysayers and whiners to say now?

How many pages of madness were there?

Old 29th August 2008
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
I don't think they are going to offer this, that is why they made their software compatible with the UAD-1 and you can use both cards on the same system
Exactly ...they've done it the right way without pissing off all the current users and effectively making the UAD1 defunct. You can build your UDAD 2's at you own pace without sacrificing you 1's.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well maybe jslevin was right that they haven't the horsepower upstairs to match Metric Halo's technology (or Digi's, or even MOTU's ). That's one naysay that seems right: they don't have any means of addressing latency and realtime processing from what we've seen.

But in that case, being less ambitious was correct, as stated above.

Especially if their first prototype was all the way back in 2004, they had to burn and rebuild, and then wait this long to reach market.

Still, if a UAD quad is $1500 and runs 10 UAD-1's, that's not even so much of a bargain...if you consider a UAD-1 now goes for $299 new with a $100+ voucher in the box, we're still paying roughly as much per GFLOP as we were, we just have expanded capacity.

That would argue that I'm wrong and they are actually charging for cards and not so much selling plugins. I'm not sure they exactly know what business they are in either. But I'll give them a hint: with OpenCL and CUDA around the corner, no one gives a mouse's ass about your crunch. tutt Your plugins are all that matters.
Old 29th August 2008
Here for the gear

Does anyone get the impression that they are going to allow other companies to do their plugs or instruments for this card

2:24 in the JRR video "Opens the door for future New partniships" etc..
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Does anyone get the impression that they are going to allow other companies to do their plugs or instruments for this card

2:24 in the JRR video "Opens the door for future New partniships" etc..
Yeah and I think it's stupid. They ought to ensure a minimum quality level, and support level, and having 3rd parties can cost a company plenty of agility. The expense of supporting external developers (documentation etc.) can easily outweigh just doing the development for them in-house as they have been doing.

The platform as it stands just isn't advanced enough over TDM to attract that sort of interest in earnest, and TDM itself is starting to be given up in favor of native (e.g. Mr. Frindle's new plugs don't support TDM).

UA should just take the cynical user's point of view and view the cards as dongles. Realtime is the only surviving reason for non-host DSP, and these cards don't offer that.
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Yeah and I think it's stupid. They ought to ensure a minimum quality level, and support level, and having 3rd parties can cost a company plenty of agility. The expense of supporting external developers (documentation etc.) can easily outweigh just doing the development for them in-house as they have been doing.

The platform as it stands just isn't advanced enough over TDM to attract that sort of interest in earnest, and TDM itself is starting to be given up in favor of native (e.g. Mr. Frindle's new plugs don't support TDM).

UA should just take the cynical user's point of view and view the cards as dongles. Realtime is the only surviving reason for non-host DSP, and these cards don't offer that.

Is the LODE - Live optimising DSP engine - not geared for real time? I can't tell if it offers load balancing and real time, or just load balancing.

The acronym suggests one and the full name suggests the other.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Double...
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well maybe jslevin was right that they haven't the horsepower upstairs to match Metric Halo's technology (or Digi's, or even MOTU's ). That's one naysay that seems right: they don't have any means of addressing latency and realtime processing from what we've seen.

But in that case, being less ambitious was correct, as stated above.

Especially if their first prototype was all the way back in 2004, they had to burn and rebuild, and then wait this long to reach market.

Still, if a UAD quad is $1500 and runs 10 UAD-1's, that's not even so much of a bargain...if you consider a UAD-1 now goes for $299 new with a $100+ voucher in the box, we're still paying roughly as much per GFLOP as we were, we just have expanded capacity.

That would argue that I'm wrong and they are actually charging for cards and not so much selling plugins. I'm not sure they exactly know what business they are in either. But I'll give them a hint: with OpenCL and CUDA around the corner, no one gives a mouse's ass about your crunch. tutt Your plugins are all that matters.

Well, the video states a single uad-2 dsp can run 5x the amount of 1081's than a uad-1. So that sounds like 5x the power?..no...

I dunno...a 128 channel neve mixer that is stated in the video sounds F'IN good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should wait and see till we have the products in our hands before you start shootin your mouth about CUDA and all...which is going nowhere fast.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
Is the LODE - Live optimising DSP engine - not geared for real time? I can't tell if it offers load balancing and real time, or just load balancing.

The acronym suggests one and the full name suggests the other.
That's one of those funny things where marketing takes a simple bug (the old UAD-1 engine can't move a plugin instance from one card to another! That's all it was) and comes up with a flashy name for the fix for this ridiculous bug, which could be (and had to be) worked around by hand. Looks like they even put a flashy interface to show you that they fixed the bug. Silly! It should just have been transparent from the beginning...this is five lines of code children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
You should wait and see till we have the products in our hands before you start shootin your mouth about CUDA and all...which is going nowhere fast.
There isn't much other reason for Apple to buy Emagic than to ensure something like OpenCL gets adopted by force. I imagine the Logic plugins that have any CPU hit at all are being recoded to OpenCL as we speak, so that Apple can demonstrate it's a proven platform for audio...just as I'm sure they are doing with their video assets.

Unless OpenCl and Snow Leopard etc. are all hot air...
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
They ought to ensure a minimum quality level, and support level, and having 3rd parties can cost a company plenty of agility. The expense of supporting external developers (documentation etc.) can easily outweigh just doing the development for them in-house as they have been doing.
All great points but it's clear that in the cases of the bigger names (Neve, Roland, Empirical Labs, Moog, etc.), the benefits still hold greater weight. The Neve plug-ins quite literally put the UAD-1 on the map for many of the top-end users and we've seen people buy cards just so they wouldn't have to patch out to their hardware TD4's anymore.

Quote:

UA should just take the cynical user's point of view and view the cards as dongles.
A lot of hardware manufacturers aren't interested in software simply for the fact that pirated software results in lower hardware sales. TDM versions, though not able to be pirated, have the same effect because the company is now selling software to a guy who would likely be a hardware customer if the software didn't exist. UAD plug-ins offer the best of everything to a hardware manufacturer in that they can't be pirated yet they allow the manufacturer to reach a level of customer they wouldn't otherwise have access to.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Ash is a god damn robot!

I notice the mention of S/PDIF io on the SHARCs toward the end of that. I hope they have an audio interface somewhere on the agenda. I wanted the crap out of that ADAT card they were talking about doing many years ago.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
Needing more than 4, (or just one, and having room for other plugs) 33609s running live is an easy scenario to envision, and with the UAD-1, it's not possible.
There's also the issue with load balancing which should now be a thing of the past as long as UA doesn't make any plug-ins more taxing than the 33609.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict
Er TDM plugins were cracked so quickly it was ridiculous in fact ilok stemmed this somewhat. To be fair UAD mustnt allow their dsp to be opened as that would simple make it eaiser to pirate rather they do the coding for their partners. What everyone is missing here is that yes its a meaty dongle now but in fact UAD have simply the best carrot and stick ever, they give you vouchers putting the onus on the end user to use or lose them, they do promos that make the end user use their vouchers within promo months. think about it lets say you buy Quad at $1500 with hmm $700 vouchers youd buy full price plugins then buy discounted ones so thats it all gone. Then new mastering promos, nevana specials all of this means inthe course of a year we spend another $600 per annum until you have bought the lot. Then a new card with new partners new plugs this is what Digi should have done and have started to do now with massive pack except for one thin the price is still massive. (pardon the pun)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search