The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

yeppp ahhh... i wish i could give out the info i know.. but yeah thats the box it'll come in..
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManBand View Post
yeppp ahhh... i wish i could give out the info i know.. but yeah thats the box it'll come in..
Looks like someone else is in the know, too

Be patient kids, not long now... nearly there
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That is peak performance. Not very useful for continuous audio processing. The sustained rate is 1.6 GFlops. So a UAD-2 Quad gives 6.4 Gigaflops (assuming nothing is lost by having to manage 4 processors). Now compare that to a single Intel Quad Core Hampertown which delivers about 80 GFlops... Yes all this processing power is shared with the OS and the DAW application but they probably use less than 1 GFlops together.
Oh and just to address this point, someone who knows quite a lot about DSP told me that actually that the 2.4 Gflops speed is both peak AND sustained performance speed, and that also those SHARC chips are far more flexible than say the Tyhe CC1 which is more hard-wired to do a specific task.
Old 28th August 2008
Would one card be big enough to run Gearslutz from?

Old 28th August 2008
Gear Nut

Let's just hope new plugs won't be too hungry in terms of resources, otherwise in a few months we'll see a new bunch of threads with "hey, I can just run a couple of fatso on my underpowered card", and so on...
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Now that the UAD2 is a foregone conclusion (coming out tomorrow i guess), i'll make a prediction (not a rumor heard) that at AES, UAD will announce or show an alpha version of UAD Distressor (Coming Soon)
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

you guys think it's possible that we'll ever see a firewire version of the UAD?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Where is the expresscard version?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfor View Post
Let's just hope new plugs won't be too hungry in terms of resources, otherwise in a few months we'll see a new bunch of threads with "hey, I can just run a couple of fatso on my underpowered card", and so on...
I am expecting many of the new plugs will overwhelm a UAD1 card with just one instance. So some of these plugs will only be able to be run on a UAD2.

Now that they have the power, I would imagine they would use it.

- c
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I just googled "uad-2". Got 1150 hits. From the last 24 hours...
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

post 1000 Do I get a free UAD2 now?
Old 28th August 2008

So what's the secret? All these folks on the board saying "i wish i could tell you what I know" etc. Means that there is something going on beyond just a new DSP card. We know that the old plugs will run on the new card (damn right). We know that UA has new partners (awesome, but to be expected new card or not). We know that the UAD-2 will come in three flavors, the topmost being perhaps 10x (after almost 8 years i'd expect no less) as powerful as a UAD-1. (And only costs about 3.5x a UAD-1e).

The one simple question we have no answer for is:

-Can more than one card can be used in a system?

The answer to this hardly seems like it's worth guarding with such secracy at this point, so there has got to be something else going on with the UAD-2. Is it an onboard summing engine that folds back to your DAW a la Metric Halo? Integration with an I/O device a la pro tools? A control surface like liquid mix? This has all been done before. Is it then rewrites of all the old plugs? Will the quad card mix songs for me? what the heck is it?
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

I don't get it. Why did they stop plugin manufacturing to go into Formula 1 Racing? I think I need to re-watch the video....

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Would one card be big enough to run Gearslutz forum?

"I'm sorry, (1) or more of the threads you are viewing has been disabled... please reduce the number of messages... "

Hobson.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post

yes yes yes yes
(count 'em)
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotso View Post
So probably just one Quad card per machine??
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post

I think this answers that question: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post3210695
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
...for the info value, the video is way way way too long... but who cares about the video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Great... I hate the video though... so corporate. Says nothing, except show you the card. Fancy pancy editing...

"Best in class audio path" he says about the shark. What? This is digital... it's not a discrete mixer.

They went back to the drawing board a few years back.... ok, that explains a lot. Wonder if it's true...
This is all marketing...they realize they got a captive audience so are just drip feeding us till the full blown release! it's frustrating but it's working.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

You can also keep your old cards. The new ones will play nice with them. So the maximum UAD1 equivalent processing power theoretically achievable in one system is 40 + 4.
Old 28th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I think this answers that question: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post3210695

Not really though, I won't believe anything said unless it comes from the horse's (ie UA) mouth. And they haven't said anything about it.
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPeru View Post
I don't get it. Why did they stop plugin manufacturing to go into Formula 1 Racing? I think I need to re-watch the video....
I found a sneak-peak of their Formula 1 prototype here.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Would one card be big enough to run Gearslutz from?

Well, they upgraded the slutz to a uad-2 QUAD a week ago.

Didn't you notice the smooth transition,

the increased reliablity,

the enhanced performance,

the increased capability?

Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
you guys think it's possible that we'll ever see a firewire version of the UAD?
NO! too slow. never.

Expresscard /54 /34 . . . YES! finally fast enough . . .
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
Well, they upgraded the slutz to a uad-2 QUAD a week ago.

Didn't you notice the smooth transition,

the increased reliablity,

the enhanced performance,

the increased capability?

Careful. Right now Jules is stretching his index finger to the "banned" key.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Is it foolish to assume that these will work properly with the latest 8 core Mac Pros?

Someone said earlier in the thread about "only" getting 90-100 percent or something, that seems okay to me.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Soniccore(creamware) cards using the previous modell.They are fixed point too.And they are very nice.heh
The new soniccore hardware 1 he xite will use the more advanced chips aswell.
SonicCore or Creamware uses SHARC: all SHARCs are 32 floating point, since their inception.

Digi and TC use Freescale (former Motorola) DSP 56K series chips: they are known for being 'fixed' point.

There's a long debate whether Fixed (with accumulators at 48 or 56 bits) is better or worse than floating (32 or 64 bit accumulated).

Best,
Old 28th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
NO! too slow. never.

Expresscard /54 /34 . . . YES! finally fast enough . . .
what about USB 3.0?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

in the video about the sharc chips, one of the guys mentions sample rate conversion and SPDIF as things that can be done. So i'm guessing that the Neve version of the card might come with some kind of hardware interface??
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I am expecting many of the new plugs will overwhelm a UAD1 card with just one instance. So some of these plugs will only be able to be run on a UAD2.

Now that they have the power, I would imagine they would use it.

- c
Oh, I'm sure people will complain no matter what. The Neve 33609 already takes up one UAD-1's power, so if a Quad is around 10X the power of a UAD-1, that means people will only be able to use 10 33609s on a session, and I'm sure someone will find that "weak" and how native would give you an unlimited count, blah, blah, blah.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
You might be missing one very important point here, the price.

The fairlight Xynergi which features the CC-1, costs $28,000.

Could you imagine UAD trying to sell their ver2 card at that price?!? They'd just get laughed at!
I'm not suggesting that they sell the UAD-2 for $28000. (Which btw includes the Xynergy interface with all it's OLED keys, physical I/O's, the full Fairlight DAW etc). I'm not even suggesting that they went for anything much more powerful than the solution they went for now: There are quite a few FPGA boards that are a few generations old and don't cost an arm and a leg. (And are quite powerful already. More powerful than the AD solutions).

The advantage is that the code developed for these older platforms can very easily and quickly be ported to the newer and more powerful systems from the same manufacturers. (As easy as recompiling).

I'm really thinking about future proofing the technology and competing with the not inconsiderable power of native systems. (This is probably the hardest part. Intel sells so many chips, it is hard for anyone to compete with them on cost/performance).

Quote:
Granted, I too would have preferred to of seen say about 30-40 times the processing power of UAD-1, but I don't think their choice is all that bad at all.
I guess I'm just being difficult because I get riled up by bogus marketing claims. In a sense I would have preferred if UA kept a veil of mystery around the technology used instead of having outlandish claims from the AD people in their marketing video.

Quote:
The proof of course is in the testing. Can't wait to see/hear what people think of how the new card sounds, especially with the new plugins!
I suspect they might sound exactly the same but we shall see.

Alistair
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Oh and just to address this point, someone who knows quite a lot about DSP told me that actually that the 2.4 Gflops speed is both peak AND sustained performance speed, and that also those SHARC chips are far more flexible than say the Tyhe CC1 which is more hard-wired to do a specific task.
The chips used in the CC-1 card are fully programmable and are not even specifically designed to do audio. (Besides the programmability, there are many varying hardware topographies available depending on what is needed). These chips are used for various scientific models like earth quake modelling, weather modelling, high-bandwidth microheology models of complex fluids and biopolymer networks etc etc. The SHARC chips are much less flexible. Not that that in itself is an issue. The UAD card are supposed to do audio after all.

And no, the SHARC chips really do not have 2.4 GFLops sustained rate.

Alistair
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search