The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Why is nobody talking about the mention of the 2004 design for UAD-2? When all the talk about UAD-2 was going on back then, It was true.

I find that interesting...

Could this be the Package design?

Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I wonder if they'll have a trade-in program.
I'll need a quadcore to replace my 4 UAD-1's. And then I'll need an Xpander so I can use it with my laptop.
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I wonder if they'll have a trade-in program.
I'll need a quadcore to replace my 4 UAD-1's. And then I'll need an Xpander so I can use it with my laptop.
Aaaah the pleasures of software...
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I dout it,
No company is that generous.

On the bright side,
I always wanted access to the UAD plugins and just couldnt justify the price tag but now the 2nd hand market will be hammered with UAD1 cards. heh
Old 28th August 2008
Emi
Gear Addict

Finally, it was about time!

I´m excited to hear it´ll be an UAD 2. I´m a UAD-1 user and very happy with it and now with the extra power and plugs it´s on my list for buying it.

I wonder if UA thought about making a firewire or usb UAD box. It can be very handy for me at least
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
They had a picture before they posted the Flash movie that had LED meters for the UAD-1, UAD-2 solo, UAD-2 duo and UAD-2 Quad. From what they were representing with the "meter", the UAD-2 Quad seemed to have at least 20+ times the power of a single UAD-1.

My questions at this point are:

How many Quads can I get on my system?
Will the UAD-1s still work (can we mix UAD-1/2s)?
Do we keep our licenses?
When's the Fatso coming out?
Who knows of a good ASUS mobo with at least 1 PCI and 4 PCIe slots?
it wasnt 20..it was between 11 and 12
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Great... I hate the video though... so corporate. Says nothing, except show you the card. Fancy pancy editing...

"Best in class audio path" he says about the shark. What? This is digital... it's not a discrete mixer.

They went back to the drawing board a few years back.... ok, that explains a lot. Wonder if it's true...
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

...for the info value, the video is way way way too long... but who cares about the video?
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
^^Gets credit for 1st "they should have gone native" whine regarding the UAD-2 (and it's not even out yet!)
^^ Gets credit fro completely misunderstanding the post.

I believe UA could have looked at a more powerful solution than the SHARC chips to compete with native processing. They are already on the most powerful SHARC chips. There is no real room to grow without adding complexity (more than 4 chips on board) and are dependant on AD developing new chips in the future (not a given).

As an example, Fairlight went with an Altera solution: Altera FPGA Replaces 64 DSP Devices in Fairlight's New Media Processing Engine

There are also Xilinx and other FPGA chip devlelopers. These solutions are much much more powerful than the Analogue Devices products and allow continued growth now and far into the future. (For instance the top Xilinx chipr currently offer 192 GFlOPS/352GMACS. Plenty of room to grow without entirely redeveloping their software in a few years).

Alistair
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Out tomorrow.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The only question in commerce is money. Did the UAD Xpander sell or not?

I have a MacBook Pro and a UAD Xpander. I like it a lot. So I'm not saying anything bad about the Xpander. I'm just saying that my impression is that it did not sell well. My impression is of weak market penetration. Perhaps the problem is: It's cumbersome to set up (you have to plug it in, connect it and it always has to have power, doesn't run off of firewire or USB power, etc.) Generally speaking, people who work with laptops like immediacy and easy access. I think of the Xpander as a problematic product for this reason, although I like mine fine.

I would be surprised if there is a UAD2 Xpander. Not shocked, but surprised. Most people aren't trying to run studios based on laptops, regardless of how powerful they get.

- c
Sonya,

I see your point, but still my own vision of whats is happening to the market is contrary to yours.

We all know that only big to mid sized studios like to keep theyre desktops. It's more like a status thing than anything else these days really.

On the other hand, we all also know that those big to mid sized studios are NOT where the big chunk of the market is now for UA. Its guys like me, that dont even need to have a recording room at all and also the bedroom studios. And I guarantee you, those guys are ALL for laptops these days.

So, that said, I have no doubts in my mind that even more from 2009 onwards, laptops, specially MBPs will be the main platform for UA, and therefore where theyre money will be.

I dont have the statistics on Xpander sales up to date, and maybe up to now it has been a premature option, but I am sure not from 2009 onwards and I bet my money on a sure to come, if not already this year, on a UAD2 Xpander.

About the Xpander not being bus powered, I dont think that is a problem at all in the context of Laptop MBP seen as desktop replacements. Do you know what I mean?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
...for the info value, the video is way way way too long... but who cares about the video?
The Video was intresting for me.
But I hope too that UAD is having a good deal for UAD 1 holders.
And yes I tought too that eventually new Plug Ins wont work on UAD 1.

But I believe that UAD is not playing Apple Games...was and is always fair to thier customers.

So this means by now I could have 10 times of the power of one UAD 1 Card on a single card now?????? Cant belive it.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuss88 View Post
Out tomorrow.
Run that by us again. You're saying the UAd-2 is out tomorrow? 29th August? How would you know this?

Paul
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
"Best in class audio path" he says about the shark. What? This is digital... it's not a discrete mixer.
Well actually sample rate conversion is not a totally solved problem (and probably can't be) so plugins that use SRC to avoid aliasing distortion when doing nonlinear processing will benefit from superior onboard SRC. If the SHARC is doing really high-quality SRC that will put its signal path beyond that of other plugins that don't have custom hardware to handle it for them.
Old 28th August 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

I believe that was an Analog Devices rep, mentioning that Analog Devices priority is best in class audio path, that includes their analogue opamps, instrumentation amplifiers, ADC and DAC chips and SRC stuff, plus even their DSP. If the DSP isn't powerful enough to really sound good then thats an issue. Analog DSP chips can be made to sound very good.

-T
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Well actually sample rate conversion is not a totally solved problem (and probably can't be) so plugins that use SRC to avoid aliasing distortion when doing nonlinear processing will benefit from superior onboard SRC. If the SHARC is doing really high-quality SRC that will put its signal path beyond that of other plugins that don't have custom hardware to handle it for them.
so the Fatso will not work on the UAD-1?
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post
Run that by us again. You're saying the UAd-2 is out tomorrow? 29th August? How would you know this?

Paul
Yep. Cant say more. Just wait and see. Not kidding.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post

Could this be the Package design?

yep thats the box.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewind View Post
I just hope that any new version will be backwards compatible.
Well, it might be. It might also be that if you have more than four cards (of any type or combination of types), you will have to buy authorizations for your plugins for the additional cards.

It's FUD time......heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuss88 View Post
Yep. Cant say more. Just wait and see. Not kidding.
hes right - i said it earlier in this thread
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
^^ Gets credit fro completely misunderstanding the post.

I believe UA could have looked at a more powerful solution than the SHARC chips to compete with native processing. They are already on the most powerful SHARC chips. There is no real room to grow without adding complexity (more than 4 chips on board) and are dependant on AD developing new chips in the future (not a given).

As an example, Fairlight went with an Altera solution: Altera FPGA Replaces 64 DSP Devices in Fairlight's New Media Processing Engine

There are also Xilinx and other FPGA chip devlelopers. These solutions are much much more powerful than the Analogue Devices products and allow continued growth now and far into the future. (For instance the top Xilinx chipr currently offer 192 GFlOPS/352GMACS. Plenty of room to grow without entirely redeveloping their software in a few years).

Alistair
You might be missing one very important point here, the price.

The fairlight Xynergi which features the CC-1, costs $28,000.

Could you imagine UAD trying to sell their ver2 card at that price?!? They'd just get laughed at!

What sold UAD-1 was the quality of the plugs.

The problem was, its very latest complex algorithmn plugins used up to an entire card.

Now we have this option for 12 times the processing power it allows many more higher quality plugs to be created whilst still keeping enough instances to keep people happy.

Granted, I too would have preferred to of seen say about 30-40 times the processing power of UAD-1, but I don't think their choice is all that bad at all.

In fact if these new SHARC processors do yield better in built high quality SRC and other cool features, it's shaping up to be a pretty cool product.

The proof of course is in the testing. Can't wait to see/hear what people think of how the new card sounds, especially with the new plugins!
Old 28th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post

i ...need...more..power......hur..ry...
Oh, you slutty little girl...heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Henchman;3245985]I wonder if they'll have a trade-in program.]

Probably so, but in exchange for your credit card number. heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Oh, you slutty little girl...heh
i just need that creamy moog filter now!!!!!
then the fatso
then the valley laps
then the harrison
then the little labs
then the directions to the fountain of youth
Old 28th August 2008
So what would the fantasy UAD2 rig comprise?

Someone spec one

What would the Max number of cards that could be run at one time I wonder?
Old 28th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
i just need that creamy moog filter now!!!!!
then the fatso
then the valley laps
then the harrison
then the little labs
then the directions to the fountain of youth
Don't you mean directions to the welfare line?
Old 28th August 2008
IMS
Gear Maniac

My more fundamental question (maybe it's been answered) is whether there is a solution for those of us on PCI as opposed to PCIe. While I have always loved my UAD-1, and would buy a UAD-2 as soon as it's available, I am not going to spend thousands on a new computer (that I don't need) just to be able to run one. Is there/will there be a solution for this? Hard to believe UAD would want to just ignore the thousands of folks out there with a computer more than a couple of years old (mine is a dual 2.0GHz G5, not exactly an antique).
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
That is peak performance. Not very useful for continuous audio processing. The sustained rate is 1.6 GFlops. So a UAD-2 Quad gives 6.4 Gigaflops (assuming nothing is lost by having to manage 4 processors). Now compare that to a single Intel Quad Core Hampertown which delivers about 80 GFlops... Yes all this processing power is shared with the OS and the DAW application but they probably use less than 1 GFlops together.

The Intel Octo Cores with NUMA architecture, 128-bit SSE instructions (double the speed of current 64-bit SSE), should be hitting the market in Q4 2008. Dual Cores systems (16 cores total) should be out relatively soon and will give an amazing amount of DSP power.

Is it again a question of too little too late from UA?

(And what does this tell us about how much processing power is actually being used by plugins running on the UAD-1 cards?)

The video on the UA site claims "Best in class DSP processor." and "Most powerful DSP co-processing platform."

Have they never heard of the Fairlight CC-1 card? Here is a quick run down of the specs:

Fairlight CC-1 8.5 GFlops (sustained) (Single card, Single processor), Full three dimensional internal interconnection. This gives 230 HiRes audio channel paths, 8 band of EQ and 3 stage dynamics per channel, onboard HD video, 12 AUX sends and 72 mix buses (up to 7.1 surround), 64 channel to 3rd party native plugins, 220 physical I/Os, 36 bit floating point mixing, 72 bit floating point EQs, Up to 384Khz sampling rate, less than 0.5 ms latency (regardless of processing).

Maybe UA should have aimed higher?

Alistair
good knowledge - but surely missing the point a little? 1st is cost - they have to continue their current successful business model rather than throw super DSP power and blow that out of the water. 2nd the vast majority of their users are small to mid-range set-ups.

Once we get into the realm of 10x regular UAD power - probably with the capacity for multiple QUADs - say 40x - isnt it time to stop worrying about DSP and make/mix some music?

IF they develop a high-end I/O mix system then DSP power questions 'might' be more pertinent...That said - I cant believe most but the biggest budget set-ups would complain at 10x UAD1 power in a single card......

I for one rejoice
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
That is peak performance. Not very useful for continuous audio processing. The sustained rate is 1.6 GFlops. So a UAD-2 Quad gives 6.4 Gigaflops (assuming nothing is lost by having to manage 4 processors). Now compare that to a single Intel Quad Core Hampertown which delivers about 80 GFlops... Yes all this processing power is shared with the OS and the DAW application but they probably use less than 1 GFlops together.

The Intel Octo Cores with NUMA architecture, 128-bit SSE instructions (double the speed of current 64-bit SSE), should be hitting the market in Q4 2008. Dual Cores systems (16 cores total) should be out relatively soon and will give an amazing amount of DSP power.

Is it again a question of too little too late from UA?

(And what does this tell us about how much processing power is actually being used by plugins running on the UAD-1 cards?)

The video on the UA site claims "Best in class DSP processor." and "Most powerful DSP co-processing platform."

Have they never heard of the Fairlight CC-1 card? Here is a quick run down of the specs:

Fairlight CC-1 8.5 GFlops (sustained) (Single card, Single processor), Full three dimensional internal interconnection. This gives 230 HiRes audio channel paths, 8 band of EQ and 3 stage dynamics per channel, onboard HD video, 12 AUX sends and 72 mix buses (up to 7.1 surround), 64 channel to 3rd party native plugins, 220 physical I/Os, 36 bit floating point mixing, 72 bit floating point EQs, Up to 384Khz sampling rate, less than 0.5 ms latency (regardless of processing).

Maybe UA should have aimed higher?

Alistair
good knowledge - but surely missing the point a little? 1st is cost - they have to continue their current successful business model rather than throw super DSP power and blow that out of the water. 2nd the vast majority of their users are small to mid-range set-ups.

Once we get into the realm of 10x regular UAD power - probably with the capacity for multiple QUADs - say 40x - isnt it time to stop worrying about DSP and make/mix some music?

IF they develop a high-end I/O mix system then DSP power questions 'might' be more pertinent...That said - I cant believe most but the biggest budget set-ups would complain at 10x UAD1 power in a single card......

I for one rejoice

Its so easy to like UA - just like its easy to hate Waves
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Don't you mean directions to the welfare line?
that depends how many quads i get ;p
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search