The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th August 2008
are these the same SHARC chips that Powercore uses? Or newer?
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear
its great that this has lots of power, however I will not consider it unless it really is a decent jump above the software plugins I have right now. I have 8 cores and have never felt my computer stress out. So if these processors are really that powerful that the designers of the plugins feel they dont have to worry about people with crappy computers and then build plugins that are really "next gen" then I'm in!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head

So probably just one Quad card per machine??
Old 27th August 2008
If it comes with the same quality I already know... I´ll get a dual w/ neve plugs. If it´s even heavier on the DSPs, I´ll wait and get a quad...
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Between my Mac Pro 8 Core, a Duende PCIe card, and a Quad UAD-2, This thing is going to be a BEAST! lets pray that the PCI Cards play well together.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cube View Post
Well, with nehalem quadcore MBP (and laptop PCs) coming first half of 2009, I don't see why they would NOT make a Xpander version of the UAD2 as I foresee loads of users ditching their bulky desktop monsters when you can have the equivalent CPU power of the actual 8core on the future MBP next year? Also, mobility? Rings any bell?

cheers,
The only question in commerce is money. Did the UAD Xpander sell or not?

I have a MacBook Pro and a UAD Xpander. I like it a lot. So I'm not saying anything bad about the Xpander. I'm just saying that my impression is that it did not sell well. My impression is of weak market penetration. Perhaps the problem is: It's cumbersome to set up (you have to plug it in, connect it and it always has to have power, doesn't run off of firewire or USB power, etc.) Generally speaking, people who work with laptops like immediacy and easy access. I think of the Xpander as a problematic product for this reason, although I like mine fine.

I would be surprised if there is a UAD2 Xpander. Not shocked, but surprised. Most people aren't trying to run studios based on laptops, regardless of how powerful they get.

- c
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
I cant believe some people think they are going to use the same chip???
I will drink 1 cup of my own dfegad every day, for every post on this thread if UAD uses the same chips for UAD2!!
Have we verified the chip yet? Can anyone verify this chip thing? I want to know if the urine therapy will work or not... heh
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
are these the same SHARC chips that Powercore uses? Or newer?

AFAIK Powercore does not use Sharc chips, it uses moterola dsp (fixed point) same as digidesign

Sharc are floating point dsp and are used on the creamwear cards, not sure which model chip they use though.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The only question in commerce is money. Did the UAD Xpander sell or not?

I have a MacBook Pro and a UAD Xpander. I like it a lot. So I'm not saying anything bad about the Xpander. I'm just saying that my impression is that it did not sell well. My impression is of weak market penetration. Perhaps the problem is: It's cumbersome to set up (you have to plug it in, connect it and it always has to have power, doesn't run off of firewire or USB power, etc.) Generally speaking, people who work with laptops like immediacy and easy access. I think of the Xpander as a problematic product for this reason, although I like mine fine.

I would be surprised if there is a UAD2 Xpander. Not shocked, but surprised. Most people aren't trying to run studios based on laptops, regardless of how powerful they get.

- c
Yeah, i think the Xpander is a great product but maybe because of timing and the way it was marketed it didn't 'catch on'. It was sort of later in the life of the UAD1. But if they can release a new xpander with the UAD2 while it is totally new, it should catch on. There at least needs to be something available to MBP users since their Mac laptops are selling so well. I really wish they would have a solution for the Imac. They are missing alot of users there.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

UAD 2 - the Movie

Universal Audio | UAD-2

Its official

Could someone please tell me whats going on - no sound on my work PC
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
A big assumption.

Did the Xpander line sell well enough for them to continue it into UAD2? I expect they'll probably leave the Xpander line where it is.

- c
I sold my 2 UAD-1 cards cause I needed to be mobile and thought of the expander but it was too much $ for the power of just 1 card. I could justify spending $2k on a Quad xpander If I actually got the power of 10 uad-1's.

Last edited by SFTPH; 28th August 2008 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: eye kant spel
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

The gist of it is that the new "shark" chip is way way faster than the original UAD chip AND they are putting on 4 chipa per card.

Sounds very interesting.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio View Post
AFAIK Powercore does not use Sharc chips, it uses moterola dsp (fixed point) same as digidesign

Sharc are floating point dsp and are used on the creamwear cards, not sure which model chip they use though.
Soniccore(creamware) cards using the previous modell.They are fixed point too.And they are very nice.heh
The new soniccore hardware 1 he xite will use the more advanced chips aswell.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoL View Post
A very quick Google search on the DSP chip yields the following:

The SHARC ADSP-21369 processor is a member of the Single-Instruction Multiple-Data (SIMD) family of signal processors that feature ADI's Super Harvard Architecture. It is a 32-/40-bit floating-point processor optimized for high-performance audio applications with 2Mb on-chip of SRAM and 6Mb of mask-programmable ROM, and multiple internal busses to eliminate I/O bottlenecks.

The processor uses two computational units to deliver a significant performance increase over previous SHARC processors on a range of signal-processing algorithms. With a 400 MHz (2.5ns) core instruction rate, the SHARC ADSP-21369 performs at 2.4 GFLOPS/800 MMACS.
That is peak performance. Not very useful for continuous audio processing. The sustained rate is 1.6 GFlops. So a UAD-2 Quad gives 6.4 Gigaflops (assuming nothing is lost by having to manage 4 processors). Now compare that to a single Intel Quad Core Hampertown which delivers about 80 GFlops... Yes all this processing power is shared with the OS and the DAW application but they probably use less than 1 GFlops together.

The Intel Octo Cores with NUMA architecture, 128-bit SSE instructions (double the speed of current 64-bit SSE), should be hitting the market in Q4 2008. Dual Cores systems (16 cores total) should be out relatively soon and will give an amazing amount of DSP power.

Is it again a question of too little too late from UA?

(And what does this tell us about how much processing power is actually being used by plugins running on the UAD-1 cards?)

The video on the UA site claims "Best in class DSP processor." and "Most powerful DSP co-processing platform."

Have they never heard of the Fairlight CC-1 card? Here is a quick run down of the specs:

Fairlight CC-1 8.5 GFlops (sustained) (Single card, Single processor), Full three dimensional internal interconnection. This gives 230 HiRes audio channel paths, 8 band of EQ and 3 stage dynamics per channel, onboard HD video, 12 AUX sends and 72 mix buses (up to 7.1 surround), 64 channel to 3rd party native plugins, 220 physical I/Os, 36 bit floating point mixing, 72 bit floating point EQs, Up to 384Khz sampling rate, less than 0.5 ms latency (regardless of processing).

Maybe UA should have aimed higher?

Alistair
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

^^Gets credit for 1st "they should have gone native" whine regarding the UAD-2 (and it's not even out yet!)
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

PCIe only or are they doing an express card as well.

I'm currently on an Imac so there are no UAD solutions available to me

If they do an express card (who many processors?) I'll pull the trigger on a MBP
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Time to see Loyalty Credits

Congratulations to UAD to listening to many Gearsluts who thought their cards were underpowered.

As a person who owns 3 UAD cards- I am really waiting to see what the deal is for loyal customers to do the swap- what credit is proposed for present UAD 1 cardholders to do the swap-if there is no material credit proposed- I may just buy another UAD 1 on e-bay for peanuts, upgrade my natives and focus the extra money on hardware eq/reverb/compressors- which never need to be upgraded at total loss.

Waiting with bated breath.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Looks really nice. Sign me up.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Before the movie came up there was a picture with power comparisons between the different cards. If that was accurate the UAD2 solo was 2.5-3x an UAD-1 and the duo as expected twice that and the quad 4x the solo or about 10-12x the power of a UAD-1.

I just hope that new plugs will work with the old cards and if you upgrade to a UAD2 you don't have to pay an upgrade fee for the plugs too... (assuming some of the code in the plugs has to be rewritten for the new processors)
Old 28th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
It doesn't look like it has i/o or anything like TDM on it, but they do mention SPDIF and SRC in the video, which is odd...yes those are built-in capabilities of the chip, but why mention them if the thing just accelerates plugins?

He also mentions "realtime applications"...

Maybe UA will release another product that has i/o later...

The "connector" looks too small to be much more than an LED or something. In fact you can see it's an LED in the video. I guess that lights up to show that the card is operating.
This is just wild assed speculation, but maybe they mentioned it because the card is able to do real time super low latency plugin processing on live sources, like PT TDM cards do, or integrate with some as of yet unreleased interface to give native systems the same kind of live source plugin capabilities that HD systems do. Could be interesting...
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
I sold my 2 UAD-1 cards cause I needed to be mobile and thought of the expander but it was too much $ for the power of just 1 card. I could justify spending $2k on a Quad xpander If I actually got the power of 10 uad-1's.
Yipp.. I'm in the same boat.
As someone else said the Xpander came out far too late in the scheme of things, and paying that much for the power of just one card simply was not worth it.
If they release a Quad Xpander I will buy one for my MBP.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Between my Mac Pro 8 Core, a Duende PCIe card, and a Quad UAD-2, This thing is going to be a BEAST! lets pray that the PCI Cards play well together.
that was about to be my question. will they play nice together?

I have 2 slots open at home on my 8 core. was thinking uad-2 quad, duende pci-e, & maybe powercore firewire (for vss3 rev & tubetch comp i love & use on Protools already)
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

stupid question...

Now that we know what chip they are using... How does it compare to a UAD-1 card? Plug in count wise?
I am debating wether to get a 4th UAD-1 or wait...since I have a lot of plugs..tutt
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
This is just wild assed speculation, but maybe they mentioned it because the card is able to do real time super low latency plugin processing on live sources, like PT TDM cards do, or integrate with some as of yet unreleased interface to give native systems the same kind of live source plugin capabilities that HD systems do. Could be interesting...
TDM systems (and Metric Halo) can do it because they avoid the OS and the PCI Bus: they control both the DSP and the IO via direct connection and therefore can achieve those latencies. Without that facility I don't see how you can get below, say, 64 samples...though 64 samples would be very good indeed.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

i ...need...more..power......hur..ry...
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

They had a picture before they posted the Flash movie that had LED meters for the UAD-1, UAD-2 solo, UAD-2 duo and UAD-2 Quad. From what they were representing with the "meter", the UAD-2 Quad seemed to have at least 20+ times the power of a single UAD-1.

My questions at this point are:

How many Quads can I get on my system?
Will the UAD-1s still work (can we mix UAD-1/2s)?
Do we keep our licenses?
When's the Fatso coming out?
Who knows of a good ASUS mobo with at least 1 PCI and 4 PCIe slots?

Last edited by Franco; 28th August 2008 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: forgot to add one question
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think I'm sold. I hope it runs stable on my system.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Would it be inappropriate to say that I have blue balls at the moment over this release?
Old 28th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

We will be doing a mailer the instant this info is released.

Seriously, UA have been very cloak and dagger with this but the entire thing will be revealed extremely soon.

Extremely.

I'm a UAD-1 user as well, I'm psyched to have some new processing power.

War
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search