The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th August 2008

with this much DSP I wonder if they'll pursue making a decent algorithmic reverb..

narco
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I'm sure they ll release, if not now then in the next half year for sure. Probably they have other ideas in mind too...
Hi Danger, Hope that you are right!! But it would be strange if they did not do xpander, since with the power on the cards it will be many new customers... exciting ... exciting
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cube View Post
...I am sure there will be an Xpander version of the UAD2 and it most certainly will be via ExpressCard BUS...
A big assumption.

Did the Xpander line sell well enough for them to continue it into UAD2? I expect they'll probably leave the Xpander line where it is.

- c
Old 27th August 2008
I have all the info.. and I can tell you guys soon. heh
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
How Soon?!?!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
ooh - how soon? C'mon I'm itchin to buy here!

Paul
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
A big assumption.

Did the Xpander line sell well enough for them to continue it into UAD2? I expect they'll probably leave the Xpander line where it is.

- c
Well, with nehalem quadcore MBP (and laptop PCs) coming first half of 2009, I don't see why they would NOT make a Xpander version of the UAD2 as I foresee loads of users ditching their bulky desktop monsters when you can have the equivalent CPU power of the actual 8core on the future MBP next year? Also, mobility? Rings any bell?

cheers,
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

website updated
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

Check the page - they updated it with a video!

D.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

Unfortunately not so much more info about the plugins but info about the SHARC - Power. So I guess the next step will be Partners

D.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But when is it available?

Paul
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head

Looks like those cards have some type of connector placed at the "backpanel". What could that be?

Richard
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

It doesn't look like it has i/o or anything like TDM on it, but they do mention SPDIF and SRC in the video, which is odd...yes those are built-in capabilities of the chip, but why mention them if the thing just accelerates plugins?

He also mentions "realtime applications"...

Maybe UA will release another product that has i/o later...

The "connector" looks too small to be much more than an LED or something. In fact you can see it's an LED in the video. I guess that lights up to show that the card is operating.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Looks like those cards have some type of connector placed at the "backpanel". What could that be?

Richard
would be awsome if that connector was for some sort of future breakout box with plenty audio I/O. That would solve my problem of not having enough expressCard ports to have both UAD2 (xpander) and RME MADIface..

Going to pray..
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

For those interested. I posted some screen caps from the video here (as gearslutz isn't accepting pics at the moment):

UAD Forums • View topic - Flash movie about UAD-2!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi George. May I call you George? How about Mr. Necola. So Mr. Necola, just between you and I -a couple of guys just shooting the breeze- when I say "soon", how many days come to mind? Six days? Is it six days that comes to mind? Maybe thirteen days? No need to "spill the beans" per se, we're just a couple guys talking about what "soon" means to them.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Oh this sux.. Im at work and cannot view the site, because there is no flash or active x or something on this computer!!

I wanna seeeeee!!
Old 27th August 2008
The connector in the back looks like it could be an RJ-45. Maybe to connect to a control surface?

(edit)

on second thought, it looks more like spdif or led after looking at the stills from the flash movie on the uad forum

(/edit)
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
Oh this sux.. Im at work and cannot view the site, because there is no flash or active x or something on this computer!!

I wanna seeeeee!!
i posted a few pics at the link, two posts above yours. go have a look.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
Yeah you gotta be a member of the forum to view the pics.. And I couldnt be bothered signing up..

Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
Yeah you gotta be a member of the forum to view the pics.. And I couldnt be bothered signing up..

sorry - didn't realize that. PM me your email and I'll send em to you
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
sorry - didn't realize that. PM me your email and I'll send em to you
Wonderful.. Thanks
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice work Tim. That Moog - I thought they must be talking Moogerfooger, but it could actually be a damn synth. D'ya think?...
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
I thought they must be talking Moogerfooger, but it could actually be a damn synth. D'ya think?...
UA sticks with the traditional layout, and it's not the same as a moogerfooger, i tend to agree
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Nice work Tim. That Moog - I thought they must be talking Moogerfooger, but it could actually be a damn synth. D'ya think?...
oooh a Synth would be niiiiiice.. I dont see why they couldnt do it along with Moog?? Maybe Moog may not want to go down that line though.

Moog wouldnt be too happy if a UAD-2 MiniMoog sounded EXACTLY like the REAL thing.... There goes all the "Hard vs Soft" discussions!!!
Old 27th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
It doesn't look like it has i/o or anything like TDM on it, but they do mention SPDIF and SRC in the video, which is odd...yes those are built-in capabilities of the chip, but why mention them if the thing just accelerates plugins?

Well, SRC is used by a number of plugins to upsample incoming audio before processing, I assume this is where that comes into play. As for SPDIF, i too was intrigued by the mention. Why include that in the video?
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Forgive my ignorance but, Do the Sharc chips NOT produce a lot of heat? No heat sinks involved here, even with 4 of them on board.

Kelly
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

There's an excellent flash movie on the UAD2 now.
They talk about the chips, etc.

Universal Audio | UAD-2
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Hi George. May I call you George? How about Mr. Necola. So Mr. Necola, just between you and I -a couple of guys just shooting the breeze- when I say "soon", how many days come to mind? Six days? Is it six days that comes to mind? Maybe thirteen days? No need to "spill the beans" per se, we're just a couple guys talking about what "soon" means to them.
between you and me and the other guys watching... I am not allowed to tell you...

soon means.. soooon.. stike

very sooon.. like coldwar II.. maybe earlier.. maybe before the first black president is elected.. maybe after angelina jolie has adopted some more children..

cheers
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Sounds sweet, but I hope they don´t eat much RAM from my system. I need that RAM for VSTis and sample libraries. 4x UAD-1 card was like 1GB of RAM (250MB per card) gone from my system... tutt

And hope the latencies are better as well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search