The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th January 2008
  #91
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
It is after all, a PCI card with PPC DSP chips that plugins run off of regardless wether it has audio passing through it or not. Am I wrong?
Well, not entirely, but the fact that it has audio passing through is is actually fairly significant...it essentially is a scalable hardware digital mixer that you put inside of your computer, and since the mix engine itself as well as the TDM plugins all run off of the cards you get the same near-zero (there's no true zero-latency digital system) latency on an HD right that you'd get running off of a digital mixer of some sort.
Old 4th January 2008
  #92
Lives for gear
 
jonnypowell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
Ha. How many pieces of gear can this be said of...

Me 2... I wasn't that impressed..
Old 4th January 2008
  #93
Lives for gear
 

they should have at least done this....

If they are locked to that particular video chip for DSP.... UA should have at least given us another card with two of those video chips, and extended the length of the UAD1 a little... About two years ago they should have done this...... I hope all the wait will be worth it.... I've been holding out for another card for a year... and am gettin pretty anxious for the UAD2 !!!
Old 4th January 2008
  #94
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Peeder, i really see your point but then how does symphony do it, it says they run the mastero off of dsp on the card but they seem to have the near zero latency that PTHD has, and they said its due to the ultra fast drivers. I dont see how these companies cannot come out with a card that has fast drivers to un the plugs on like a " live mode"
Old 4th January 2008
  #95
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Peeder, i really see your point but then how does symphony do it, it says they run the mastero off of dsp on the card but they seem to have the near zero latency that PTHD has, and they said its due to the ultra fast drivers. I dont see how these companies cannot come out with a card that has fast drivers to un the plugs on like a " live mode"
It's possible for an audio interface to short-circuit the host CPU, just like TDM does, but there are usually limitations that TDM doesn't have. I am not familiar with the Symphony system, although even PTLE has a "low latency monitoring" mode where things like plugin processing etc. are skipped in favor of faster monitoring latency. Can symphony apply most plugins and still keep that low latency realtime performance?
Old 4th January 2008
  #96
Lives for gear
 
wildpark's Avatar
 

But who is the guy that has to be fired for being too unskilled to build a UAD 2?

andrew your are not alone heh heh heh heh


patrick


my wishlist 2008

replace my digidesign hd2 pcie with 3 macpro 8 core

but latency wise i know no way yed
Old 4th January 2008
  #97
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
If they are locked to that particular video chip for DSP.... UA should have at least given us another card with two of those video chips.
They did run on TDM PPC chips for a short time before they cancelled the deal, so thier obviosly not restricted to the Video GPU.
Old 4th January 2008
  #98
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
It's possible for an audio interface to short-circuit the host CPU, just like TDM does, but there are usually limitations that TDM doesn't have. I am not familiar with the Symphony system, although even PTLE has a "low latency monitoring" mode where things like plugin processing etc. are skipped in favor of faster monitoring latency. Can symphony apply most plugins and still keep that low latency realtime performance?
YES IT CAN! Thats what makes me think its just a matter of poor development or a company not putting in the R&D(lol same thing) time to make something actual consumers want, ask tornado ted or barryjohns, they use symphony through plugs all the time, i think barry resurrected the symphony forum, check it
Old 4th January 2008
  #99
Gear Head
 

Wink UAD2

OK UAUDIO, Im willing to wait until this summer
Old 4th January 2008
  #100
Here for the gear
 

Prophecy

Companies tend to follow a certain philosophy especially if it has worked for them in the past. Few are tempted to change strategies when you are winning. The UAD1 has an amazingly long life span when you consider similar equipment. Why? Because they made a brilliant move by using an inexpensive but powerful video chip which by nature excelled at the floating point operations needed in audio. The technology in graphics chips is amazing. The move was daring. Most others went with the standard Motorola chips. But by not using the Motorola chip they weren’t limited by it’s limits (even in multiple chip units they can’t exceed the power of a single chip in one plugin) and could design more complicated programs Obviously the move paid off. Third party development was virtually impossible, but by doing everything in house they were able to keep their quality unusually high and developed a strong reputation in the market.

Now after 5 years of success UA has a card which is long in the tooth, but some excellent code, an extremely talented crew of developers and some great research.

Could history repeat it self? I think it’s likely. Perhaps the reason for the delay is that UA is again using an off beat chip to get a jump on the other companies. Can you imagine the power if they used a contemporary video chip? We’re talking an incredible jump in power over what was available five years ago. It would blow any competing device out of the water. On the other hand it would likely require recoding everything which would be enormously time consuming....hence the delay.

The power of something like this may make firewire or USB2 problematic so I would guess again that we would see an internal card of some sort.

I for one don’t mind the wait for something as revolutionary as this. I still find my UAD-1 cards extremely useful and the recent price cuts have enabled me to get pretty much everything I could ask for.
Old 4th January 2008
  #101
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

With all the time they are taking, they better use the damn cell processor. I sort of have to disagree with the above comment, i think they are milking the cow completely dry. They make plugs like the neve buss comp that take up the entire chip, and people keep buying them, so it seems like they are running the well drytutt
Old 4th January 2008
  #102
Gear Head
 

It'd be cool if a UAD equipped system could utilize the power of any decent graphics card installed. The UAD1 woud really just be a dongle thingy.
Old 4th January 2008
  #103
Lives for gear
 
exwel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin R Shaw View Post
Companies tend to follow a certain philosophy especially if it has worked for them in the past. Few are tempted to change strategies when you are winning. The UAD1 has an amazingly long life span when you consider similar equipment. Why? Because they made a brilliant move by using an inexpensive but powerful video chip which by nature excelled at the floating point operations needed in audio. The technology in graphics chips is amazing. The move was daring. Most others went with the standard Motorola chips. But by not using the Motorola chip they weren’t limited by it’s limits (even in multiple chip units they can’t exceed the power of a single chip in one plugin) and could design more complicated programs Obviously the move paid off. Third party development was virtually impossible, but by doing everything in house they were able to keep their quality unusually high and developed a strong reputation in the market.

Now after 5 years of success UA has a card which is long in the tooth, but some excellent code, an extremely talented crew of developers and some great research.

Could history repeat it self? I think it’s likely. Perhaps the reason for the delay is that UA is again using an off beat chip to get a jump on the other companies. Can you imagine the power if they used a contemporary video chip? We’re talking an incredible jump in power over what was available five years ago. It would blow any competing device out of the water. On the other hand it would likely require recoding everything which would be enormously time consuming....hence the delay.

The power of something like this may make firewire or USB2 problematic so I would guess again that we would see an internal card of some sort.

I for one don’t mind the wait for something as revolutionary as this. I still find my UAD-1 cards extremely useful and the recent price cuts have enabled me to get pretty much everything I could ask for.
Sorry but i think you work for UAD?
Wy? U must anwser on this topic.

Let's hope the great one will come fast
Old 4th January 2008
  #104
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

I think the UAD-2 ain't coming out @ namm. I pretty sure that UA will introduce the new card(along with 5.0 drivers) @ musicmesse.. Let's wait and see
Old 4th January 2008
  #105
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
Sorry but i think you work for UAD?
Wy? U must anwser on this topic.
Uh oh!, What are you talking about?

It's an open board and anyone can freely contribute to the discussion.

Now - what is YOUR issue?
Old 4th January 2008
  #106
NLP
Gear Addict
 
NLP's Avatar
 

What about this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...nevana-x2.htmldfegadpissing party
Old 4th January 2008
  #107
Lives for gear
 

If uad 2 can do what uad 1 has done in regards to its outstanding plugin developement. Then man I will bring out the credit card in a flash! But though to the lack of power of the card I can't see myself dumping money into a legless horse. I've been Itching to buy all of there latest plugins over the past year and a half but have not because of that reason. With the introduction to quadcores and now dual quadcore, I really think uaudio has to do something big inorder to stay ahead of there slim and narrow lead(either that or go native and risk getting cracked up)! I dont think they have been milking the cow, they have had some great promotional vouchers lately. I think this is there way in staying in the public eye, while behind the scenes they work on there new and more powerful upgrade! atleast thats what I hope is happening? It would be nice if someone for that company can hint at something positive, because lately they have been taking a lot of bad publicity... Thats my 2cent!
Old 4th January 2008
  #108
Lives for gear
 
slaves666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLP View Post
What about this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...nevana-x2.htmldfegadpissing party
Nah......that is 2 cards for the Neve products....this doesn't state x2.
Old 4th January 2008
  #109
NLP
Gear Addict
 
NLP's Avatar
 

Jes I know, but the feeling is the samedfegad
Old 5th January 2008
  #110
Nevana?

NEVERMIND!

Smells like plug in spirit?
Old 5th January 2008
  #111
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin R Shaw View Post
On the other hand it would likely require recoding everything which would be enormously time consuming....hence the delay.

The power of something like this may make firewire or USB2 problematic so I would guess again that we would see an internal card of some sort.
All firewire or USB2 has to do is stream the audio back and forth...the processing of the signal is all done on-card and then the audio is streamed back, just like any other hardware accelerator.

And the recoding wouldn't be THAT time-consuming. It wouldn't be a snap, OK, but it wouldn't be nearly as hard as writing new plugins.
Old 5th January 2008
  #112
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Uh oh!, What are you talking about?

It's an open board and anyone can freely contribute to the discussion.

Now - what is YOUR issue?
His point is that dude just joined gearslutz to comment on this. I think the same thing, lol good observation!
Old 5th January 2008
  #113
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

I wonder if they are/will do anything with CUDA. THey had an article in a recent Popular Science talking about it's incredible power. I think it would be cool if they got onboard with Nvidea. And UA could upgrade there cards as Nvidea does. No end of road things like Mpact.
Old 5th January 2008
  #114
Here for the gear
 

Prophecy...

While I read the comments here regularly and find them quite enlightening... I find others generally say what I’m thinking so I haven’t commented before. I was surprised that no one seemed to arrive at the same conclusion I did earlier, so, yes, I did join just to comment on that one issue. Obviously it is wild speculation on my part and I wouldn’t bet money on my theory, but, I thought it might be of interest to some. I do appreciate the depth of knowledge many of you seem to have here.
Old 5th January 2008
  #115
Lives for gear
 

I think I figured out what UAD2 is. In one bundle/package you get two UAD1 cards for 2x the price. Imagine that.........

Wait, they kinda tried to do that already with that Neve package. I'm not expecting too much but I'd like to be surprised....
Old 5th January 2008
  #116
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
I think the UAD-2 ain't coming out @ namm. I pretty sure that UA will introduce the new card(along with 5.0 drivers) @ musicmesse.. Let's wait and see
Namm or MusicMesse - that's fine...

if it is actually coming i'm stoked. and i agree with the prior posters about them developing it on the latest GPU power or cel tech - like a 8800 GTX chip with 1GB of DDR4 ram or something. One card can run 3000 instances of every plug simultaneously without any latency issues.
Old 5th January 2008
  #117
Lives for gear
 
exwel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Uh oh!, What are you talking about?

It's an open board and anyone can freely contribute to the discussion.

Now - what is YOUR issue?

He must cut the crap and say the uad 2 is comming
It was his first post.
And when there are rumours at UA it always comes out.

no offence....
Old 5th January 2008
  #118
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
All firewire or USB2 has to do is stream the audio back and forth...the processing of the signal is all done on-card and then the audio is streamed back, just like any other hardware accelerator.

And the recoding wouldn't be THAT time-consuming. It wouldn't be a snap, OK, but it wouldn't be nearly as hard as writing new plugins.
From Joe Bryan on WHY THERE WILL BE NO FIREWIRE UAD CARD:

The fastest Firewire audio devices provide 32 channels of I/O (64 out, 32 in). That's it. The UAD-1 and UAD-1e can process up to 254 channels of I/O (254 out and 254 in), and you can have up to four cards in a system. That's a lot of data. Even if each card is only processing 64 channels (64 mono plugs or 32 stereo plugs), that would require eight times the bandwidth that can be provided by the current Firewire hardware for the current generation of the UAD-1! Put simply, Firewire just isn't fast enough and isn't reliable enough. PCIe does all this while lowering system loading and latency, and improving reliability and signal integrity (fewer glitches).

Universal Audio
Old 5th January 2008
  #119
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
From Joe Bryan on WHY THERE WILL BE NO FIREWIRE UAD CARD:

The fastest Firewire audio devices provide 32 channels of I/O (64 out, 32 in). That's it. The UAD-1 and UAD-1e can process up to 254 channels of I/O (254 out and 254 in), and you can have up to four cards in a system. That's a lot of data. Even if each card is only processing 64 channels (64 mono plugs or 32 stereo plugs), that would require eight times the bandwidth that can be provided by the current Firewire hardware for the current generation of the UAD-1! Put simply, Firewire just isn't fast enough and isn't reliable enough. PCIe does all this while lowering system loading and latency, and improving reliability and signal integrity (fewer glitches).

Universal Audio
OK maybe you're right...Although Duende does manage to get 64 in and 64 out on a single Firewire 400 connection when using two chassis.

Firewire 800 is still a possibility...another possibility is another protocol, either a proprietary one such as the one the Digi 001 used (which required a special card) or something like FibreChannel or Infiniband or something they could get off the shelf (and enjoy the economies of scale) that will still hook up to a common external chassis, so they can serve the laptop market with an ExpressCard adapter to the same box.

I'm OK with it being a PCI Express card as I have a Mac Pro, but if it is a PCI Express card, I want my estimate of 1 UAD2 = 8 UAD1 to be low. Let's have 1 UAD2 = 32 or more UAD1's, and let's have all the models updated, compromise-free, so that the UAD1 versions are all like "SE" versions to the UAD2 versions which are truly jaw-dropping.
Old 5th January 2008
  #120
Lives for gear
 

Wouldn't that be the Schmidt !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
Namm or MusicMesse - that's fine...

if it is actually coming i'm stoked. and i agree with the prior posters about them developing it on the latest GPU power or cel tech - like a 8800 GTX chip with 1GB of DDR4 ram or something. One card can run 3000 instances of every plug simultaneously without any latency issues.

This is how it should be ! I think these companies that make dsp cards, or firewire devices should go as high tech as possible , with a kick a$$ dsp card, that will provide as many instances as possible, and NOT be in the business of trying to sell as many hardware units as possible.... Since a radically more powerfull card would provide the posibility of using more plugins... people will buy more PLUGS !!! I'd like to buy the Neve 33609 plug...but..I don't have enough dsp power.... if I had a super duper card.... I'd have already bought all the NEVE stuff already ! If you think about it, it would be easier for them to be in the plug in business..... and sell less cards..... Imagine.... one PCIe card for ALL your plugin requirements..... It doesn't raise their costs by selling more plugins.... but it does by selling more hardware ! Even if it costs $ 1800, I WANT 3000 INSTANCES RIGHT NOW !!! heh
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sevendaysoff / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
kingneeraj / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
rackdude / Low End Theory
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump