The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

wonder if these will work in conjunction with the old cards...

actually, going by the uad-2 page possibly, unless they are showing the processing power meters for comparative reference.

oto
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Nut

The UAD-2 page is updated again. Seems like they are PCI Express only cards. Fine with me

D.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

yep
its look like it

they are PCI Express only cards. Fine with me

D.[/quote]
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Looks to me like it's going to be *only* PCI-e.

I have no plans to upgrade my dual 1.8 G5, so I guess that rules me out... ):

Is there some sort of bridge out that I could use?

Am I getting ahead of myself?
Old 26th August 2008
I´ll probably get a nevana 64...
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I don't see a timer.....
timer disappeared now
run out was friday 12.00 CET
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

yeah a little update on the cards. The ad now has 3 cards showing.....

Looks like ......2.5 x faster - 7x faster and 30x faster than the original UAD-1 card

SWEEET.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I don't read the 30X faster. Loks more like 8 times faster.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

well its gone now........
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Nut

It'll be
Solo: 2.5x
Duo: 5x
Quad: 10x

Anything else wouldn't make sense...
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Its clearly 3x as powerful per DSP.
Old 26th August 2008
Check this, which is copied from one of the threads over at the UA forum :

On 8/22, Scott from ADK wrote over at the Cakewalk forums:

"i can tell you those who love their UADs will be buying 2-4 QUAD... man i wish i can tell you whats its all about...still under NDA for a few more weeks"

Looks like they got something real nice up the sleeve or they got some new plugs that eat even more DSP than the Neve's. Also looks like you will be able to use more than card...imagine 4 quads!!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=blayz2002;3210695]Check this, which is copied from one of the threads over at the UA forum :

On 8/22, Scott from ADK wrote over at the Cakewalk forums:

"i can tell you those who love their UADs will be buying 2-4 QUAD... man i wish i can tell you whats its all about...still under NDA for a few more weeks"

Life 6 POD X3 uses the same Sharc so hopefully some "real-time" like HD
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Also looks like you will be able to use more than card...imagine 4 quads!!
Cripes, can you imagine being able to have the DSP equivilant of (40) UAD-1 cards in one DAW!
Old 26th August 2008
I´m really curious to start hearing/reading "real" users comments about UAD-2... can we fast foward?
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant View Post
...but will it be compatable with my iPhone?
Absolutely, you ll be able to call your friend while your uad-2 is processing 96 channels.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Old 26th August 2008
Gear Head

Ahhh - finally a hi-rez pic of the uad-2 quad . . . .

oops, forgot that images weren't working yet on the slutz . . .
Old 26th August 2008

hey I just thought, the picture has faders on it like a mixing desk, maybe its got its own summing engine built in..

ha, I can't believe I'm adding to the speculation..

narco

ps. lol to the post above this one
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

[
Quote:
QUOTE=narco;3212785]hey I just thought, the picture has faders on it like a mixing desk, maybe its got its own summing engine built in..

narco
id expect a summing engine since Digital AudionetworX - Berlin - Vertrieb von Lavry Engineering announced
a mixing (R)Evolution
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
hey I just thought, the picture has faders on it like a mixing desk, maybe its got its own summing engine built in..

narco

ps. lol to the post above this one
You are not the first to suggest this... I'm just wondering what you would expect to get out of it? I mean what does a "summing" unit look like INSIDE the box on a DSP card?

UA plugs ones are 'emulations' of audio circuits... albeit GOOD emulations, they are emulations none the less and these non-linear characteristics which are exhibited by hardware units are hard to emulate.

Currently the DSP processing that is required to allow 'random' non-lineraties, esp. between EACH plugin instance (which happens with EACH piece of outboard gear or channel on a console etc) is mind boggling.

So again what would a DSP 'summing' unit do? Allow crosstalk between plugin instances, add in these non-lineaties/harmonic distortions or have an option to select the sound or aging caps or aged T4B optocells?

I have no doubt that the new cards will allow the DSP team at UA great power to improve their emulations and analog modeling to bring about even great realism and can't want to see what happens... but I think it will be some time before we see plugins 'accurately' mimicking these analog non-linearities/distortions etc PER plugin instance.

Cheers

Matt
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
[
id expect a summing engine since Digital AudionetworX - Berlin - Vertrieb von Lavry Engineering announced
a mixing (R)Evolution
as Matta stated, I'm not sure how they would pull it off, but I would welcome a Harrison or Neve summing buss emulation.
Old 26th August 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

I posted an idea on the UA forum about 5 years ago (I swear I thought I was the first guy to suggest it over there).

I wanted UA to bring out full channel strips of API, Neve and SSL (or Harrison), perhaps even Helios.

Well we aren't far off that. Just add auxes, pan, level and auto to the Neve and Helios stuff and then try and do something else, if not API maybe Sphere.

Anyway I'd love to see a DAW company allow a plugin mixer. Like soundscape. No nuendo mixer as standard, build your own block by block.

You could configure the channels the way you want them, modelled line amps and channel dynamics, eqs, number of auxes etc.

They would feed a DSP summing platform that allowed some frequency specific blend of channels (crosstalk) and noise. We're aren't far off that idea what with the Waves JJP stuff offering mains hum etc.

You could have a button to turn this on or off.

The mix amps would be modelled for frequency response and distortion and their associated non-linearities, stereo width etc. You could use 8 Neve channels with Harrison style summing whatever.

You build your mixer the way you want. That would be very interesting to see... I predict 2 more years until that is it.

Anyway I'm all over a UAD-2 Quad, 12 x the power is perfect to me!

I hope they do the Harrison sub-harmonic synth and an IBP!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
I posted an idea on the UA forum about 5 years ago (I swear I thought I was the first guy to suggest it over there).

I wanted UA to bring out full channel strips of API, Neve and SSL (or Harrison), perhaps even Helios.

Well we aren't far off that. Just add auxes, pan, level and auto to the Neve and Helios stuff and then try and do something else, if not API maybe Sphere.

Anyway I'd love to see a DAW company allow a plugin mixer. Like soundscape. No nuendo mixer as standard, build your own block by block.

You could configure the channels the way you want them, modelled line amps and channel dynamics, eqs, number of auxes etc.

They would feed a DSP summing platform that allowed some frequency specific blend of channels (crosstalk) and noise. We're aren't far off that idea what with the Waves JJP stuff offering mains hum etc.

You could have a button to turn this on or off.

The mix amps would be modelled for frequency response and distortion and their associated non-linearities, stereo width etc. You could use 8 Neve channels with Harrison style summing whatever.

You build your mixer the way you want. That would be very interesting to see... I predict 2 more years until that is it.

Anyway I'm all over a UAD-2 Quad, 12 x the power is perfect to me!

I hope they do the Harrison sub-harmonic synth and an IBP!
I have received word the Harrison will be a channel strip.
Old 27th August 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

OK cool.

Too many channel strips tho, would love the sub harmonic!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
I have received word the Harrison will be a channel strip.
Oh yeah....What other words have you received?????heh
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MYDUS View Post
Oh yeah....What other words have you received?????heh
not much--but something else I received was that there is a problem with the apple motherboards and the uad-2 quads. something like it is only able to use 90% of the 100% potential.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well the Moog plug looks like a dual multi-mode filter.
I hope it doesn't make my sound-toys filter redundant!

I'm surprised no body has mentioned the fact their add says more tone.
I can only assume this means they have improved the quality of their plugs..
Agreed?

Also, if you count the LED lights, you will see that the cards are 3x,6x,12x the power of the UAD-1.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Well the Moog plug looks like a dual multi-mode filter.
I hope it doesn't make my sound-toys filter redundant!

I'm surprised no body has mentioned the fact their add says more tone.
I can only assume this means they have improved the quality of their plugs..
Agreed?

Also, if you count the LED lights, you will see that the cards are 3x,6x,12x the power of the UAD-1.
yes, you hit the nail on the head regarding the moog as well the the relevancies between uad-1 and uad-2 power values.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

- counting LED's, I get:

UAD-1 - 7
Solo - 20 (2.86X)
Duo - 40 (5.71X)
Quad - 80 (11.43X)

FWIW...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search