The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
anyone noticed the PCB is in white....

does this suggest this is not an pci/pcie card as they are normally in green/blue?
now that's an interesting observation!
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
Can I just say UA are RIGHT ON THE MONEY

After how ever many years 5,6,7 whatever.. We/UAD1 users/the public have waited.. Some of us jumped ship.. Some of us held true!!

Then there was much talk.. We all knew it was coming - They knew it was coming.. So what did they do??? Give us a few hints!!!

First it was the Fatso coverup
Then the Guitar Centre slip!!!

And NOW!!!! They show us an advert - Giving us a sneak at the card.. Of the processors!!!!

UAD-2 WILL be the end of Waves!!!!!

These guys really know what theyre doing.. It took them many, many years.. But god they are doing it right now!!!
heh i feel the elation as well. I still think that a UAD2 and Waves would
be the best combo not either/or. Best of both worlds. Native and PCI-E.

I really hope UA will have a nice demo and show for the UAD2 at AES in SF.
I don't expect it to be released then but it would really be cool to give a nice presentation on it to stir up the buzz...not that they need it.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

OMG!! Am I the only one with chubby over the fact that its a white card? The photos of a sickly done up system with 4 of those things it it's gonna look sick... LOL Yeah I need to get a life.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

I wish they'd get uad-2.com up and running....

UA... you are such a friggen tease!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
In case Tony ran out of pop-corn...

found this ad copy over at the UA forums.
heh They got it from here (New Product Alert!) heh
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

ya'll notice the addition of Moog, Harrison and little labs....
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Can anyone point me in the direction of "Valley People"

I cant find any info on the net about this company.. Are they old/new?

Website?
Old 20th August 2008
yeah not much else to say otherwise. Need to know the details!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

how do u figure? like it or not waves is very much entrenched in the TDM world of pro studios and post houses. They will not be getting rid of their PT HD's rigs.

UA also needs to work on their compatability with 8 core & newer upcoming mac pros
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
ya'll notice the addition of Moog, Harrison and little labs....
& for the nerds in the audience, you can zoom in on the full res version and see the type of chip they're going to be using (Sharc ADSP-21369).

Seems to be a general purpose DSP chip (as opposed to a specialized audio DSP chip), runs @ 400mhz, and costs roughly $35 each when purchased in units > 1000.

Last edited by 6strings; 20th August 2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: new info
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Little Labs huh...sounds like an IBP to me. Finally!

Brad
Old 20th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
UA also needs to work on their compatability with 8 core & newer upcoming mac pros
I should think its very unlikely their new hardware will have the problems Mac Pro 8 core users are having now...?
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
I'm guessing that's been the cause for the delay. UAD-2 was obviously scheduled to be announced when GC % company spilled the beans. I'm guessing the pushnack was due to the 8-core curveball.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Website?
This should get you started...

Universal Audio
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Website?
I thik older than new they made that dynamite compressor I think which was a famous affordable compressor in former days - only read about it thou ....

hope that helps
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
UAD-2 was obviously scheduled to be announced when GC % company spilled the beans. I'm guessing the pushnack was due to the 8-core curveball.
I have a feeling that this "spilling the beans" was part of their overall marketing plan, to get a buzz going before the real announcement.

I'd bet even that the product names and prices that we saw were false and doen't correspond to the "real" products on the way.

I have the impression (just to continue my dinner time cristal ball reading) that they'll be coming out with a converter with built-in dsp like the lastest motu inventions.

That might be why UA was so long in coming out with uad-2, haveing added this dsp-convertor idea only a year or two ago....

We'll soon know........
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
I have a feeling that this "spilling the beans" was part of their overall marketing plan, to get a buzz going before the real announcement.

I'd bet even that the product names and prices that we saw were false and doen't correspond to the "real" products on the way.

I have the impression (just to continue my dinner time cristal ball reading) that they'll be coming out with a converter with built-in dsp like the lastest motu inventions.

That might be why UA was so long in coming out with uad-2, haveing added this dsp-convertor idea only a year or two ago....

We'll soon know........
I hope not. Not all of us need a converter. I'd rather them come out with their own intuitive controller custom made to control their plugins.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

A very quick Google search on the DSP chip yields the following:

The SHARC ADSP-21369 processor is a member of the Single-Instruction Multiple-Data (SIMD) family of signal processors that feature ADI's Super Harvard Architecture. It is a 32-/40-bit floating-point processor optimized for high-performance audio applications with 2Mb on-chip of SRAM and 6Mb of mask-programmable ROM, and multiple internal busses to eliminate I/O bottlenecks.

The processor uses two computational units to deliver a significant performance increase over previous SHARC processors on a range of signal-processing algorithms. With a 400 MHz (2.5ns) core instruction rate, the SHARC ADSP-21369 performs at 2.4 GFLOPS/800 MMACS.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

I totally disagree that the UAD-2 will be the end of waves. There will still be people who prefer native.. especially if Waves jumps on the OpenCL/CUDA bandwagon (which I believe will be the future of the "Native" platform)

Believe it or not there are a couple Waves plugins that are as good anything UA offers.

Quote:
Can I just say UA are RIGHT ON THE MONEY

After how ever many years 5,6,7 whatever.. We/UAD1 users/the public have waited.. Some of us jumped ship.. Some of us held true!!

Then there was much talk.. We all knew it was coming - They knew it was coming.. So what did they do??? Give us a few hints!!!

First it was the Fatso coverup
Then the Guitar Centre slip!!!

And NOW!!!! They show us an advert - Giving us a sneak at the card.. Of the processors!!!!

These guys really know what theyre doing.. It took them many, many years.. But god they are doing it right now!!!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSyn View Post
I totally disagree that the UAD-2 will be the end of waves. There will still be people who prefer native.. especially if Waves jumps on the OpenCL/CUDA bandwagon (which I believe will be the future of the "Native" platform)

Believe it or not there are a couple Waves plugins that are as good anything UA offers.
Not that alone. What do i possibly care about that as a end user. The more i know men the better i like anything else. How can someone rejoice with the arm of others?

I hope that all other plug developers come with solid, innovative plugs. BTW staying of the hardware paradigm once in a while will not hurt anyone.

Speaking of which: Are all the current issues with UA solved?
Old 20th August 2008
Has anyone else seen this ad?
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

...but will it be compatable with my iPhone?
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
I have the impression (just to continue my dinner time cristal ball reading) that they'll be coming out with a converter with built-in dsp like the lastest motu inventions
I hope the ain't.. Or at least they should make 2 versions: with or without converters!

edit: the UADi-2 name do sound suspicious tho
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

End of August
Old 25th August 2008
Lives for gear

Good to see Gearslutz back online, I was missing my gossip fix heh

What on earth happened to cause the site to go down the entire weekend?!!?

..oh, and new picture on the UAD-2 official site. nice
Old 25th August 2008
Gear Nut

New picture on the site now:

The DSP seems to be:
Solo = 3 x UAD1
Duo = 6 x UAD1
Quad = 12 x UAD1

Really cool!

D.
Old 25th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisb View Post
New picture on the site now:

The DSP seems to be:
Solo = 3 x UAD1
Duo = 6 x UAD1
Quad = 12 x UAD1

Really cool!

D.
I was really hoping for something like 40 times the raw processing power, but ah well, it's still got my interest

Going by those initially leaked prices however, seems the Quad version is gonna be pretty damn pricey, I hope that comes with a LOT of included plugins, or lots and lots of vouchers.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think I am going to get a Duo. That would give me 6 + 2 (that I already have)!!! 8 UAD-1's, wow!!!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

countdown timer on
Wir freuen uns auf eine [R]Evolution der Tonstudiotechnik.

speaks about (R)Evolution
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I don't see a timer.....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search