The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

An amateur can see that resistor R41 has the wrong value to sound warm... heh

Little Labs, Harrison, Moog ... NICE!

Edit: what's the registered trademark 'UAi' ??

Herwig
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well I'm not sure I care about it still being SHARC, I mostly care what the performance and sonic yield is. That's what we wanna know!

OK UA, it's about time to start singing like a canary!

Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Edit: what's the registered trademark 'UAi' ??

Uhm...coulditbee....Universal Audio Interface? heh heh

Mebbe that's the Littlelabs connection...

Maybe Harrison is doing the moving fader controller...

Oh **** I'm blowing a gasket here!
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
An amateur can see that resistor C42 has the wrong value to sound warm... heh[...]
What does this mean, I did not got it ^^.

Maybe because I don't know anything about electronics circuits...
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Uhm...coulditbee....Universal Audio Interface? heh heh

Mebbe that's the Littlelabs connection...
"Universal Analog Intelligence"

So...ummm.... uad-2 dot com leads to uaudio dot com.... disappointment.
Old 19th August 2008
damn uad-2.com website not up yet....
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
What does this mean, I did not got it ^^.

Maybe because I don't know anything about electronics circuits...
He's talking about calibrating the micro-tubes:

UA WebZine "Support Report" April 06 | Changing the Micro-Tubes on Your UAD-1

heh
Old 19th August 2008
spotted the Moog plugin inside the 'D'?
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Nut

UAi = "Universal Analog Intelligence" (UAI™)

"The UA Helios Type 69 Equalizer uses UA's proprietary modeling technology, "Universal Analog Intelligence" (UAI™), which manifests in the unique caliber of UAD plug-ins and guarantees our customers the most accurate analog emulations and superior sonic quality currently available as VST, AU or RTAS plug-ins."
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

The ADSP-21369 is good... 3rd gen. - current top of the line, I think (though there is one with more sram and lower max clock). This is getting real.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Nut

That means:
UAD-2 Quad = 4 x ADSP-21369 = 4 x 2.4 Gflops = 9.6 Gflops
UAD-1 = 1 x Mpact!-2 = 0.5 ~ 1 Gflops

4 x UAD-2 Quad = = 4 x 9.6 Gflops = 38.4 Gflops = Performance of two Intel Q6600...

WOW!

...well if that is true
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

That puts us at just over 4x the floating point performance from the UAD-1 mpact2 chip. So if we assume duo and quad are 2 and 4 chips respectively then quad should deliver roughly 16x the performance of a UAD-1. I don't know about you guys but this is still disappointing when you consider an ATI 4870 x2 (call it duo) runs about 1000x faster then a UAD-2 (single).

Oh well I think OpenCL/CUDA will take over eventually anyway. With that said I'll still buy a UAD-2 Quad b/c the plugins are what matter right now. It will be a long time (years) before we see plugins if this quality on anything else despite the superior processing capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
The ADSP-21369 is good... 3rd gen. - current top of the line, I think (though there is one with more sram and lower max clock). This is getting real.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

Comparing it to a desktop cpu is comparing apples to oranges. You should be comparing it to a G280 or ATI 4870. They are in the TFlop range (1000 Gflop). But I guess they don't work so well as dongles now do they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzamir View Post
That means:

4 x UAD-2 Quad = = 4 x 9.6 Gflops = 38.4 Gflops = Performance of two Intel Q6600...

WOW!

...well if that is true
Old 19th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSyn View Post
I don't know about you guys but this is still disappointing when you consider an ATI 4870 x2 (call it duo) runs about 1000x faster then a UAD-2 (single).

Let the whining begin!
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

Not whining, I am stating my opinion. I also stated I would be buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
Let the whining begin!
Old 19th August 2008

Quote:
But I guess they don't work so well as dongles now do they!

Sounds like whining to me!

just giving you a hard time btw.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

heh all good points... but if they can deliver 4X to 16X out of a single card - that's good, and they're right in there with (or better than) the powered plug competition. Aren't most of them using sharcs, too? Let's also hope they continue coding very efficiently. It all seems very reasonable. I'll probably still be staying native, though... watching with some envy from the sidelines.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah there are much faster video processors out there, but if it really is somewhere around 16 times as fast as the UAD-1 that'll be good for me. I'm just hoping that they've worked out the issues with the new Mac Pros / Logic..
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well, the UA forums site has melted down under the crush...

A quad card that does 16x UAD-1 will suffice for now I guess. Of course we hope the load-balancing works better, as there are now four chips per card (I imagine it's no longer unpartitioned?). Maybe they have created a true parallel architecture which keeps it unpartitioned no matter how many chips or cards. Also maybe they have a chainer plugin to stay on-chip between plugins for better latency.

So the 16x might in practice be more like 20x or 24x due to avoiding burps in the old design.

Trade-in deal UA!
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

I'm whining b/c I can't buy one right now. Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
Sounds like whining to me!

just giving you a hard time btw.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

Chainer would be nice. I really hope they do something to address the latency.. A lot of us like to mix as you go and you really need a top of the line system to do that and still have ~5ms latency with moderate track counts/vstis. Especially from a firewire interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Well, the UA forums site has melted down under the crush...

A quad card that does 16x UAD-1 will suffice for now I guess. Of course we hope the load-balancing works better, as there are now four chips per card (I imagine it's no longer unpartitioned?). Maybe they have created a true parallel architecture which keeps it unpartitioned no matter how many chips or cards. Also maybe they have a chainer plugin to stay on-chip between plugins for better latency.

So the 16x might in practice be more like 20x or 24x due to avoiding burps in the old design.

Trade-in deal UA!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzamir View Post
That means:

WOW!

...well if that is true
I am assuming that your calculations are correct......I am stoked. I have 2 cards now, and I am happy with the power, but to be able to use 5x the power of what I have now is killer.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

**** YEAH !!!!!!

Can I swear here? Who cares!!
edit - stars says no
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Can I just say UA are RIGHT ON THE MONEY

After how ever many years 5,6,7 whatever.. We/UAD1 users/the public have waited.. Some of us jumped ship.. Some of us held true!!

Then there was much talk.. We all knew it was coming - They knew it was coming.. So what did they do??? Give us a few hints!!!

First it was the Fatso coverup
Then the Guitar Centre slip!!!

And NOW!!!! They show us an advert - Giving us a sneak at the card.. Of the processors!!!!

UAD-2 WILL be the end of Waves!!!!!

These guys really know what theyre doing.. It took them many, many years.. But god they are doing it right now!!!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
First it was the Distressor coverup
You mean Fatso... the last thing we want is everyone going crazy because they think a distressor is coming, which actually can happen.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
You mean Fatso... the last thing we want is everyone going crazy because they think a distressor is coming, which actually can happen.
Ha.. Thanks.. edited
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

In case Tony ran out of pop-corn...

found this ad copy over at the UA forums.
Attached Thumbnails
UAD2 is a PCIE card-uad2ad.jpg  
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post

A Distressor more or less emulates other compressors. I'd rather UA emulate the real compressors and not a emulation of a emulation. ;-)

Fatso sounds cool though. Not really excited about the Moog though. I am sure it will sound fantastic but the market is already saturated with all things moog.
Old 20th August 2008
jyc
Gear Addict

anyone noticed the PCB is in white....

does this suggest this is not an pci/pcie card as they are normally in green/blue?
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chainer would be nice. I really hope they do something to address the latency.. A lot of us like to mix as you go and you really need a top of the line system to do that and still have ~5ms latency with moderate track counts/vstis. Especially from a firewire interface
That will be the big one for me.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search