The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
has this thread now jumped the shark?
Yes, much like Fonzie and the Malarchie brothers, this thread has jumped the shark.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Do you all really care that much about having THAT many UAD plugs on a mix? Really, how many do you actually need??? Use some other plugs for some variety, for Christ's sake. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people won't stop talking about this. To each their own, I know, but come on...is it really worth all this time and speculation?

for existing plugs you`re right
but i hope that the UAD2 will let UA design better sounding plugs in the future

softube`s plugs(CL1B;Brilliance Pack) should be their reference at least
if they make even better plugs good for us
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
for existing plugs you`re right
but i hope that the UAD2 will let UA design better sounding plugs in the future

softube`s plugs(CL1B;Brilliance Pack) should be their reference at least
if they make even better plugs good for us
did softube do the CL1b?
i bought it yesterday, absolutely loving it. it's currently being used on acoustic guitar, vocals and drum parallel compression and it's kicking ass - powercore was my best move yet - i also bought softube tube delay, really nice actually but i don't buy it for the delay - brilliance pack is awesome too
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you all really care that much about having THAT many UAD plugs on a mix? Really, how many do you actually need??? Use some other plugs for some variety, for Christ's sake. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people won't stop talking about this. To each their own, I know, but come on...is it really worth all this time and speculation?
Dude chill! I was just saying there is no way in hell that 4 uad-1s can possibly run 128 instances of whatever neve plug ins. Even if they're inside some fancy box..
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear that, but I can't personally imagine using more than 1 or 2 33609's anyways. Not too crazy about it, but regardless of that, it isn't the kind of compressor I would put on more than 1 or 2 groups anyhow. But, I will say that from using the V-Series, they stand up to the UAD really well, and if you are really looking to get alot of that sound on a mix, try 'em. No worries with CPU load there! And you are right, I think I may have maxed my cards out 2 times since owning them for several years. While I dig the UAD stuff for what it does, I don't find it to be overall something that I want to use tons of. It does surprise me though that with so many great plugs out there, that everyone here doesn't just start using more of them in the meantime. Sonalksis, Waves, PSP, Massey, the list goes on - lots of just as good, if not better plugs out there just waiting to take full advantage of your native power.
I think you're missing the point slightly on the need for power argument.

As software plugins become more accurate at modelling their hardware conterparts, the more the intricacies and all the little subtle variations that go on to alter the sound are recreated with algorithms, the more power hungry these newer and even more high quality plugs will become.

UAD-2 should imho be not only about keeping things up to date, but allowing UAD to develop more plugins of the calibre of the Neve 33609... or even better!. Thus the new technology is born, with a whole suite of plugs that put the much older plugins of UAD-1 to shame.

At least I hope thats the plan. If it is, an all new super card, with all new DSP and a future of all new plugs, I'll be joining the UAD world
Old 11th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
did softube do the CL1b?
i bought it yesterday, absolutely loving it. it's currently being used on acoustic guitar, vocals and drum parallel compression and it's kicking ass - powercore was my best move yet - i also bought softube tube delay, really nice actually but i don't buy it for the delay - brilliance pack is awesome too
CL1b from Softube? I couldn´t find it on the site.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

So I'll play the guessing game too..

I think Peeder may be on to something.
My guess in an ideal dreamworld is predicated on UA's history that goes back to the Putnam console days and their history up to the present of manufacturing pres,compressors,plugs,convertors and the desktop pre from last year.
Imagine if you will.a totally expandable system based on a "startup" mainframe which would be a control surface,mixer, and monitor section (16 channels),pres based on the 610 or Twinfinity topology. Included would be AD/DA based on the 2192. Now here's the great part. The "console" would have expansion slots for up to 8 of the new UAD's and expansion for up to 32 channels of 2192 conversion! The system would be expandable up to 32 channels (basic 16 channel mainframe and 16 channel "add-on"expander) Ofcourse there would be inserts for your favourite UA hardware. on each channel and on the stereo bus if you prefer hardware to the UA plugs when summing! After all they are in the biz of selling the LA2A' etc. The entire console would be interfaced with a UA 32 channel PCI e soundcard ala Symphony or Hammerfill.
So essentially it would be a totally self contained UA studio in a box!!
Recording,mixing,summing,control surface,conversion.
Essentially a killer!!
Okay! I'm done dreaming.
I need another drink

peace for '08 and beyond
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
I think you're missing the point slightly on the need for power argument.

As software plugins become more accurate at modelling their hardware conterparts, the more the intricacies and all the little subtle variations that go on to alter the sound are recreated with algorithms, the more power hungry these newer and even more high quality plugs will become.

UAD-2 should imho be not only about keeping things up to date, but allowing UAD to develop more plugins of the calibre of the Neve 33609... or even better!. Thus the new technology is born, with a whole suite of plugs that put the much older plugins of UAD-1 to shame.

At least I hope thats the plan. If it is, an all new super card, with all new DSP and a future of all new plugs, I'll be joining the UAD world
Well, having more power anywhere with technology is a good thing. I have an 8 core Mac that is using 30% of it's CPU at most. We don't need additional cards to take advantage of more complex algorithms, we just need more complex algorithms. And there is still no mention of anything new from UAD plug-wise other than the FATSO, which will be a good thing, no doubt. Most people here just want to be able to use more of the UAD plugs they already have according to their comments, and that is what I was commenting about - just how many 1176's and 33609's is enough? Seems a bit ludicrous to me that all this attention should be spent needing MORE and MORE of one thing, when there are plenty of other great alternatives out there which will take full advantage of native CPU power if one wants to use that many comps/eq's/etc. To each their own, I am just surprised that so many people are just up in arms about it.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I think Peeder may be on to something.
My guess in an ideal dreamworld is predicated on UA's history that goes back to the Putnam console days and their history up to the present of manufacturing pres,compressors,plugs,convertors and the desktop pre from last year.
Imagine if you will.a totally expandable system based on a "startup" mainframe which would be a control surface,mixer, and monitor section (16 channels),pres based on the 610 or Twinfinity topology. Included would be AD/DA based on the 2192. Now here's the great part. The "console" would have expansion slots for up to 8 of the new UAD's and expansion for up to 32 channels of 2192 conversion! The system would be expandable up to 32 channels (basic 16 channel mainframe and 16 channel "add-on"expander) Ofcourse there would be inserts for your favourite UA hardware. on each channel and on the stereo bus if you prefer hardware to the UA plugs when summing! After all they are in the biz of selling the LA2A' etc. The entire console would be interfaced with a UA 32 channel PCI e soundcard ala Symphony or Hammerfill.
So essentially it would be a totally self contained UA studio in a box!!
Recording,mixing,summing,control surface,conversion.
Essentially a killer!!
Okay! I'm done dreaming.
I need another drink

peace for '08 and beyond
It's a nice dream, but yeah......it's a dream. It's pretty obvious that there will be 3 x options. I'll wager they are PCIe cards (that's sort of a no brainer....huh?) OTOH, if they are powerful enough and the drivers are more efficient (latency and with load balancing) than the older cards, you could create pretty much what you are describing using any DAW. I have a template that does this.....I just keep the plugins disabled until I know what I need, then I enable it/them.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think some people have been a little pessimistic about upgrade options and backwards compatibility, I've only been a UAD owner for a few weeks but the fact that the current pci-e cards work in tandem with the pci cards, and that you can get a cheap upgrade path from pci to pci-e and still keep the pci card tells me they're not really in the business of screwing their customers over to the extent that all current pci card owners are going to have to ditch their cards.

That was a long sentence.

I don't think either that the new cards will include any I/O but I would be surprised if that wasn't the long term game plan.

I love the plugs and will be satisified just to be offered a cheap(ish) upgrade path to a v2 card whilst being able to use both old and new in my system.
As for them being 'greedy', business is business, and with any tech product, bleeding as much revenue from the older architecture before releasing the new isn't exactly uncommon, is it.
I don't mind someone turning a profit when the standards they set are so high and the products benefit the end user as much as theirs do.

Compare this to Steinberg's immoral business model for example (even though I love cubase), and you can see that UA are in fact pretty decent.
Old 11th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Yes, much like Fonzie and the Malarchie brothers, this thread has jumped the shark.

I liked the one where Fonzie drank his own pee because he was worried about losing his hair-now that's entertainment!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
UA are in fact pretty decent.
+1

I don't think people have to worry about re-purchasing plugs. At worst, I can see maybe an updated or "enhanced" version of the old plugs (ie: surround?) which would require the new card.

I see the new card as a means to run the hottest new plugs (Neve EQ, 33609, Plate 140, upcoming Fatso) which the old card pretty much chokes on more than a couple instances.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
I see the new card as a means to run the hottest new plugs (Neve EQ, 33609, Plate 140, upcoming Fatso) which the old card pretty much chokes on more than a couple instances.
This is all I'm hoping for. Same plugs. Real Power.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post

As far as "strange" behavior...I think that title should go to MF/GC since UA has NOT made any official announcement
KVR: UAD-2 Is here!

Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Customer Service
Universal Audio

877-MY-UAUDIO (877-698-2834)
+1-831-440-1176 x53 (international)
Universal Audio | Company | Contact Information

The information provided in this email is for your own private use only, and is not to be resent, quoted, or otherwise distributed without the written consent of Universal Audio.

Customer Service
Universal Audio

The information provided in this email is for your own private use only, and is not to be resent, quoted, or otherwise distributed without the written consent of Universal Audio.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
did softube do the CL1b?

|| T U B E - T E C H ||

hope this guys create a "reference" channelstrip
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Addict

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

i guess we'll have to wait a lil more.. Perhaps September before the AES
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

AES is in October.

See you there.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

you bet

let's keep our fingers crossed though
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
AES is in October.

See you there.
heh 2 years ago, i was waiting for UAD2 in SF.
Here we go again.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

bumpheh
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think some were there looking for it 4 years ago, too:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...next-year.html

- note the post dates... heh
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
I think some were there looking for it 4 years ago, too:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...next-year.html
- note the post dates... heh

Use a calculator, that is 5 years ago . . . .
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Guru

wow, are there still some people here who think the UAD2 is not real? Even with an official UA announcement verifying it's existence (in response to the leaked info) but said they weren't quite ready to announce it.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
Use a calculator, that is 5 years ago . . . .
- right, I can subtract small single digit integers in my head on a good day... heh

They were talking about AES SF, and I was refering to that show 4 years ago.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
heh
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

<snip information of a private nature>

UA has yet to release an official statement...the statement you quote is a PRIVATE statement...as indicated by the post preceding this one...

FAIL.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm getting this all late. I just crossgraded.... Any solid info on when? If it's 3 months from now I won't be pissed. If it's in the next few weeks...

Other than that, I'm just as excited as the first post!
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
UA has yet to release an official statement...the statement you quote is a PRIVATE statement...as indicated by the post preceding this one...

FAIL.
Nope, this is what official statements look like today.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Customer Service
Universal Audio

Customer Service
Universal Audio

Isnt this post a week or two old??
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...7-uad2-23.html
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search