The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

@ geetar_king

I agree with you thats why I am not just hoping for more power on the card but a high quality interface i.e. Apogee duet with line 6 toneport functionality for tracking.

there is Nvidia Cuda and Ati's Stream.
However I feel the smart money is on Open CL If your going to try to program things the way you say you may then I would look into Open CL as it encompasses MOST of the GPU's out there thumbsup
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Personally I think UAD makes great plug ins, but I not spending over a grand for another DPS card. I have two cards and for the LA2-A, 1176, Cambridge, Fairchild, De-esser, and mastering suite, it's all I need. I would perhaps think about a 3rd regular card, but honestly Waves has been coming out with some amazing plug ins and other company's. Plus if you have a couple of high end compressors and EQ in a studio, we don't need to go ga ga over UAD who is trying to get more money out of your wallet. Enough is enough. We don't even need DSP cards anymore with the quad computers that are out.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

IMHO the leak, likely, was staged by UA.

My impression: they like to think they are slick marketers like that. I suppose they are with all of the UAD worshippers skipping around the forums, holding hands, and pleasuring each other. I find this amusing considering they have not, IMHO, delivered on their UAD pitch - the sound of specific analog hardware products in software form. I feel they have fallen way short of this, even if they are debateably the best at it.

Frankly I don't give a sh*t - never was impressed with their plug-ins, or any plugins -- unfortunately. I really do wish software was as good.

Hardware is king until we get a 'right' PCM replacement or MUCH faster processors. This sucks because hardware is so much more expensive.

Good luck,

hotshot
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

iam waiting to buy a quad UAD2

please uad don't let us wait for so long
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

I will wait and buy uads 1 off e-bay like there is no tomorrowheh
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post

EXACTLY . . . . let someone else pay for the 'bleeding edge'. Remember when the UAD-1's were like a $grand or so?
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post

Frankly I don't give a sh*t - never was impressed with their plug-ins, or any plugins -- unfortunately. I really do wish software was as good.

Hardware is king until we get a 'right' PCM replacement or MUCH faster processors. This sucks because hardware is so much more expensive.

Good luck,

hotshot
You must not be a very good mixer then. I have heard a lot of awesome mixes just with plugins. ;-) I have hardware and software and they are both are great in what they do.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
What software did you use it with?

Cubase VST at the time had built in support for it. It was really cool.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Probably Waves 'agents' released misinformation and propaganda to kill of UAD-1 and increase sales of Puigchild or whatever it's called... lol

Zz.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Well think about it, if the goal is total virtualization, then a UAD-2 with 128 ch MADI i/o could form a complete virtual Neve 88RS console with sub-millisecond roundtrip latency, an enormous rack of outboard including vintage neve modules, LA-2A/3A, 1176, Fatso/Distressor/LilFreq, Helios, dbx 160VU, EMT 140, Space Echo etc. etc. All fully latency compensated and runnable in real time.

You would add converters and preamps and monitors and a control surface. UA could supply at least the first two of those too. Not sure exactly about the DAW hookup...but even that could be something as simple as a virtual Studer (with unlimited tracks).

A completely virtualized high-end studio for less than a tenth the cost.
Oh Gawd!
Never thought it would happen to me but I think I just sprouted my first GS Woody!
Thanks a pantload Peeder!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I will collect your uad1 of ebay.I just need 1 for a killer price..i think i will get it my way.Go uad2 go!thumbsup
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Excuse my ignorance..
But what manufacturers do a multi-channel MADI AD/DA interface??
Or am i totally off track on what MADI is??

I thought it was just like ADAT, AES, SPDIF etc

(noob here)

stike
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post
Negative person ?

I'm not. It's been several years I'm very positively doing music and accept that I woun't be able to put an insane amount of uad plugs in my session because they are not really willing to develop a new card.

Frankly, so many fake announcements were made about the UAD2. I feel that cheering for the last one wouldn't make me a positive person.

it would make me a ...

there must be a word for this, I an find it really.

Oh well ...

it's only a dsp card, you know ...

malice

ok then - i owe you a beer and an apology
Old 8th August 2008
PID
Gear Head

Thumbs up 8 core mac pro

Whenever it comes, it had better work with the 8-core Mac pros. I had the card stuck in my computer for months waiting for UA to come up with a fix.

I love the plugins, but I haven't been able to use them since I got the new computer. I upgraded to the UAD-1e to complement the Mac Pro and HD2Accel, but it rendered the system unusable.

I want an official announcement from UA before I hold my breath. I was thinking of selling the card, but now I guess I'll wait (as I have been...waiting...waiting..&..waiting).

However, that said, I hope for the best .
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
ok then - i owe you a beer and an apology
put a dam shirt on
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Exactly!!!
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrising View Post
@ geetar_king

I agree with you thats why I am not just hoping for more power on the card but a high quality interface i.e. Apogee duet with line 6 toneport functionality for tracking.

there is Nvidia Cuda and Ati's Stream.
However I feel the smart money is on Open CL If your going to try to program things the way you say you may then I would look into Open CL as it encompasses MOST of the GPU's out there thumbsup
Well, that is one way to think about it. But hanging up to such a standard would mean you are loosing the protection. and easily everyone could run it.

There are other co-processors as well - like the cell, which gets used by Toshiba (I think) as media coprocessor (like the MPact was supposed to be used). I think it is also produced in higher quantities (affordable) and with IBM and Sony there are major players behind it. It is also modern CPU design.

The NVidia chips are powerful - but the amount of heat they produce and the energy they consum is not really ideal for their use in DAWs - there are produced for gamer stations and latedly for number crunching (most likely where they sit in a separate server room and can be as noisy as they are).

CUDA and OpenCL is great for using the computers graphic card for processing here and there or number crunching, but for DAWs I think there is the noise factor which comes in. four (quad) NVidia GPU solutions need a server-room with a own power factory ) and by using open standards and standard PC components it might be hard to have a protection scheme that works. effectively you could go native as well if you do that.

best
Old 8th August 2008

Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

How about if everybody does a write-in nomination of the UAD-2 for a TEC award.

It would funny if something won that wasn't released yet... heh
Old 8th August 2008
F5D
Lives for gear

What if UA still uses the old mpact2 chip in UAD2, even if it sounds like a very stupid idea... Many users have suggested UA to build a card with more than 1 mpact2 chip to save pci slots if UA think that it is impossible to program the plugins to use another chip. It makes no sense to install 4 cards in one computer when it could be done using only 1 card. Macs don't even have 4 card slots and expansions cases cost alot and have problems.

At this page: Universal Audio | Support | UAD | Charts , the charts show that UAD1 can run 31 mono instances of the 88RS channel, when only the eq is in use. What if they just slightly improved the 88RS code that they can quarantee that one card runs 32 mono eq's. Then, 2 chips on one card would be the uad-2 nevana dual, being able to run 64 88RS plugins with the eq only enabled etc.

As somebody said at UAD1 forums, the new naming strategy must be marketing against ssl duende which can run 32 mono plugins. I would not be surprised either if the quad version was a rack unit with a pcie card. That would help with the heat issues if the mpact2 chips were still used. I would not like to put 4 mpact2 chips in my computer. They produce quite alot of heat.

According to the leaked information, we will see at least a new card or a rack unit with 4 mpact2 chips. If they use newer chips (which I really hope), it will be even better.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
What if UA still uses the old mpact2 chip in UAD2, . . . . .
I would not be surprised either if the quad version was a rack unit with a pcie card. That would help with the heat issues if the mpact2 chips were still used. I would not like to put 4 mpact2 chips in my computer. They produce quite alot of heat. . . . . According to the leaked information, we will see at least a new card or a rack unit with 4 mpact2 chips. If they use newer chips (which I really hope), it will be even better.

Maybe you're closer to the truth than you know - sure you don't work for UA ??

NEWS ALERT! ! !
Secret ingredient to UAD-2 DISCOVERED ! !
It will be an 'external' chassis - click this link to see for yourself:
PCI-E to PCI Expansion Card - Works with 4 Cards at the same time - Powered via ATX Power Supply

link also helps to explain why there is a delay in shipment.

Uad-2 Solo is chassis with 1 (uad-1)card.
Uad-2 Duo is chassis with 2 (uad-1)cards
Uad-2 Quad is chassis loaded with 4 (uad-1)cards.

SOLVES the 4 card problem for most users - existing users can buy a solo or duo and put their existing cards in it so UA doesn't have to 'buy back' old uad-1 cards or re-write their code. Pricing seems to match up with what the vendors were showing. Then here's the best part - you have 2, 3, or 4 pci-e slots in your system?, ua now lets you have up to 4 of these per pc so imagine the power, four of these on a system with dual quad-cores . . ! ! ! 1 1
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post

NEWS ALERT! ! !
PCI-E to PCI Expansion Card - Works with 4 Cards at the same time - Powered via ATX Power Supply

SOLVES the 4 card problem for most users - existing users can buy a solo or duo and put their existing cards in it so UA doesn't have to 'buy back' old uad-1 cards or re-write their code. Pricing seems to match up with what the vendors were showing. Then here's the best part - you have 2, 3, or 4 pci-e slots in your system?, ua now lets you have up to 4 of these per pc so imagine the power, four of these on a system with dual quad-cores . . ! ! ! 1 1

I hope you are just smoking crack and that's not true. heh
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post

NEWS ALERT! ! !

you must to be on crack and you CANT run 128 neve plug ins with 4 uad-1
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Do you all really care that much about having THAT many UAD plugs on a mix? Really, how many do you actually need??? Use some other plugs for some variety, for Christ's sake. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people won't stop talking about this. To each their own, I know, but come on...is it really worth all this time and speculation?
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I hope you are just smoking crack and that's not true. heh
I hope so heh. Bull**** isn't it ?
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Do you all really care that much about having THAT many UAD plugs on a mix? Really, how many do you actually need??? Use some other plugs for some variety, for Christ's sake. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people won't stop talking about this. To each their own, I know, but come on...is it really worth all this time and speculation?
Simple man. Just throw just one 33609. A handful each of 1073 and 1081, and another handful of Pultecs and 1176/LA2A's and you will hit the load balancing ceiling real quick with 4 cards. It's not hard to do at all. People who say this stuff makes me wanna believe they don't really use their cards fully anyway. I have 4 but am only able to use 3 of them due to load balancing issues.

Also there's a lot of variety in UA plugs. Isn't like we are loading up all Neves. I load up Neves, Rolands, Precision, etc on a regular basis.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Personally, I'd like to buy into a UA system that doesn't use half of its resources on the neve comp, or 20% on a 1073 or 1176.
I don't want/need to run 128 plugs, but I would like to have a system that would let me use the more power hungry plugs without giving up so much resource. Would be nice.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Simple man. Just throw just one 33609. A handful each of 1073 and 1081, and another handful of Pultecs and 1176/LA2A's and you will hit the load balancing ceiling real quick with 4 cards. It's not hard to do at all. People who say this stuff makes me wanna believe they don't really use their cards fully anyway. I have 4 but am only able to use 3 of them due to load balancing issues.

Also there's a lot of variety in UA plugs. Isn't like we are loading up all Neves. I load up Neves, Rolands, Precision, etc on a regular basis.
I hear that, but I can't personally imagine using more than 1 or 2 33609's anyways. Not too crazy about it, but regardless of that, it isn't the kind of compressor I would put on more than 1 or 2 groups anyhow. But, I will say that from using the V-Series, they stand up to the UAD really well, and if you are really looking to get alot of that sound on a mix, try 'em. No worries with CPU load there! And you are right, I think I may have maxed my cards out 2 times since owning them for several years. While I dig the UAD stuff for what it does, I don't find it to be overall something that I want to use tons of. It does surprise me though that with so many great plugs out there, that everyone here doesn't just start using more of them in the meantime. Sonalksis, Waves, PSP, Massey, the list goes on - lots of just as good, if not better plugs out there just waiting to take full advantage of your native power.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

I almost got caught up in the hype last winter after NAMM, to the point I was putting off my new computer system to make sure it would be UAD2 compatible... I've come down a bit since then, this is way more overhyped than even The Dark Knight movie.
personally, I think the most interesting thing to come out of this thread so far is someone offering to drink his own pee... (actually that was quite a hilarious post Electronique)
has this thread now jumped the shark?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search