The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
but why should there be a difference between nevana and normal uad2?!
No difference in the card. But a difference in the plugs they pack with the card..

stike
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're running some speciales Universal Audio
thru Septembre so it probably will be October
Haven't they been runnins specials constantly for, like, the past two or three years?

Quote:
Musiciansfriend is a sales-tax evasion scheme for Guitar Center.

Same company.

yeah, GC is known as the musician's worst nigtmare, so they thought they better change the name and their whole attitude with the kiss-up name of "musicians friend".
They're a bit more than a sales-tax evasion scheme...Guitar Center had nothing to do with the naming of Musician's Friend. That company had been around for years before they filed bankrupcy (or came close to it) and were bought out by Guitar Center. I'm sure they wanted to get their foot in the door with an already-established mail-order/internet presence. They're still a separate entity, even though they are owned by Guiar Center...

And while I haven't done any business with Musician's Friend since long before they were bought out by Guitar Center as I understand it the attitude sn't really that different...

Quote:
UA has less of a track record on these issues, but what track record they do have is very good. I would bet that they will honor all existing software licenses and offer a solid discount on card trade-ups.
I would also be surprised if they didn't honor existing software licenses, but my guess would be that rather than a discount they'll offer extra plugin vouchers for existing users, as they did with the PCI/PCIe "upgrades"...not that that's a bad thing.

Quote:
to do that with native like motu and presonus u would have to actually pass the audio thru the sound card like they do before it gets to the daw. uad-2 is not a sound card as of yet. when they release more info, it may be.
True, but TDM doesen't.
Of course it does. Their interfaces connect directly to their cards.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I would also be surprised if they didn't honor existing software licenses, but my guess would be that rather than a discount they'll offer extra plugin vouchers for existing users, as they did with the PCI/PCIe "upgrades"...not that that's a bad thing.
What happens if existing UAD-1 users own ALL the plugs?? What are they going to use the vouchers on - The "one" new plug that UAD may have coming?

Im thinking UAD-1 users are going to lose out here.. Hoping not though
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
What happens if existing UAD-1 users own ALL the plugs?? What are they going to use the vouchers on - The "one" new plug that UAD may have coming?

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I'm sure that UA is working on more than one plug in at the moment. At least the Fatso, and as written above, probably something with a Moog filter as well.

D.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post

Mu experience with UAD has been the opposite.
I bet every plug-in you have a licesne for, will work with the new unit. Pure and simple.
We're not talking about Waves or Digidesign here.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Mu experience with UAD has been the opposite.
I bet every plug-in you have a licesne for, will work with the new unit. Pure and simple.
We're not talking about Waves or Digidesign here.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

UAD-1 plugs will work with UAD-2 - There is no doubt in my mind.

If people think otherwise.. Thats like saying that when Logic 9 comes out, Logic 8 projects will not work in L9..

thumbsup
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

hope they implement sidechains for UAD2
TC Electronics made it happen for their new cards
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
...and maybe mutant dolphins will attack humans while swimming in the dead sea..
You noticed those dolphins too, eh?
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
UAD-1 plugs will work with UAD-2 - There is no doubt in my mind.

If people think otherwise.. Thats like saying that when Logic 9 comes out, Logic 8 projects will not work in L9..

thumbsup
Yeah, but Logic 8 projects don't work all that well in Logic 8... heh
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Tip of the hat to you, sir!
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been wanting to see. A DAW that is set up like a console.
Years ago, I was using software called MXtracks by Minnetonka Audio. It was written specifically for the Yamaha DSP factory cards. It accessed all of the cards DSP and the interface was exactly as you desribed, a full on mixer with all controls visible ala channelstrips. The system didn't sound particularly great, but the ergonomics were fantastic. Anyone else remember that DAW?

-Z-
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Years ago, I was using software called MXtracks by Minnetonka Audio. It was written specifically for the Yamaha DSP factory cards. It accessed all of the cards DSP and the interface was exactly as you desribed, a full on mixer with all controls visible ala channelstrips. The system didn't sound particularly great, but the ergonomics were fantastic. Anyone else remember that DAW?

-Z-

The Paris system did this. Still does..... it still sounds great and since it was discontinued, an ubergeek on the user's forum has unravelled the hardware code, fixed a bunch of the module bugs, streamlined the Win XP driver and is porting the algos over from the Ensoniq DP Pro to run on the DSP cards on the Paris system. another user is working on a new proprietary control surface with motorized faders.

They've even got a 3rd party developer working on delay compensation. Unfortunately, it will have to be more along the lines of what PTLE uses now, which, IMO, ain't that great.

I sorta' wish I hadn't sold my system off a while back. I used it for almost 10 years and it's still the easiest DAW for getting a slammin ITB mix, bar none.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Yeah, but Logic 8 projects don't work all that well in Logic 8... heh
haha.. lolz
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post

-Z-

hell yeah. My first DAW was the DSPFActory w/ the breakout box. I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Of course yamaha dropped the thing like a hot potato.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
hell yeah. My first DAW was the DSPFActory w/ the breakout box. I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Of course yamaha dropped the thing like a hot potato.
What software did you use it with?
Old 6th August 2008
iWS
Gear Head

REeally...

Is this card really deserved the hype? Honestly want to know, been following this with interest, just like to understand what difference this will make to making records?

W
Old 6th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Yeah, UAD is working us - the message boards are awash with speculation all day - it's a great hype machine.
Spot on, UA are playing us like a fiddle. There is no doubt in my mind that these leaks have been staged. One website - maybe - but JRR too???

Just far enough out from launch time for the average Joe to squirrel away a grand and a half. Those who said AES are smart cookies.

Personally I've been waiting for this nearly all year. It was a waiting game between UAD-2 and a cheap PCI expansion solution. VirtuaVia have just fixed the power issue with theirs but... too late...
Old 6th August 2008

Here's a gratuitous post, just for Electronique.

You realise if you lose this bet, you'll be drinking urine for two years? heh

I'd kick the coffee and start the steamed vegetables diet now, just in case...
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWS View Post
Is this card really deserved the hype?
Honestly want to know, been following this with interest, just like to understand what difference this will make to making records?

W

Yes..........and it's worth the money too.
Old 6th August 2008
iWS
Gear Head

'Yes..........and it's worth the money too. '

Oh great, why is that then?

W
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by animix View Post
You noticed those dolphins too, eh?
This thread makes me suddenly feel like I'm in a Cadillac, full of drugs and hauling ass thru the desert to Vegas...
No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

i never saw it on Sweetwater.. only guitar center
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWS View Post
'Yes..........and it's worth the money too. '

Oh great, why is that then?

W
Well, at least IMO, it's because they make my job much easier. They accomplish 90% of what the hardware does that they emulate. Assuming that you are familiar with that hardware, (and even if you aren't) you can achieve the same great sonic results without spending a lot of time tweaking (or, if you choose, some easy to achieve, crappy sonic results...just like with hardware heh). I like that. The UAD-1 plugins come the closest of any plugin I've heard to getting that 3D characteristic that I hear when I patch in an analog processor and route a signal through the circuitry. They aren't there 100%, but no plugin I've ever heard is.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
This thread makes me suddenly feel like I'm in a Cadillac, full of drugs and hauling ass thru the desert to Vegas...
No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Quote:
Lucy . . . this is my client; this is Mister Duke, the famous journalist. He's paying for this suite, Lucy. He's on our side."
heh
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
I responded to Malice who's been pissing in this thread. Did you read #33 and #75 ?
Actually I am a little confused at who is mad at who and who is defending who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I always find it strange and frankly very amusing when people bring up the power (or lack there of ) of the UAD-1 cards.
That has always been one of their selling points - same with Powecore.

Quote:
Enlighten me here - three maybe four years ago it may have been an issue but with any modern computer we should have more than enough horsepower to run just about anything we choose.
You can still bog down a Mac Pro quad without too much trouble. In fact in Logic 8.02 I get those overload messages with extremely few plugins.

Quote:
They never state that UAD has always advised that higher sample rates will significantly reduce the available DSP and publish fairly accurate assessments of what you can expect at the optimal sample rate.
Even at normal sample rates, you only get something like one neve compressor per card.

Quote:
Just my opinion - The only people who have any legitimate arguments against UAD are those people using the Mac Pro. They have a genuine beef because the cards have a hard time scaling to 8 cores.
I don't get that comment. The CPU cores are doing natively processing, the UA card is doing its own processing no matter one core or eight - thats the point.

Quote:
Other then that - YOU GOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND MORE!
I don't think anyone said they were cheated, but that the company is not keeping up with technology, and strangely allowing news of a new product to percolate into the public every few months, then to squash and deny the "rumor". Actually I did have an issue with my original UA board - where it would cause my mac to not wake from sleep if you had certain chipsets. They offered no solution, blamed it on apple, and had no return policy other than to live with it.

Quote:
Learn how to use the system or move on to something else instead of making ridiculous statements like UAD has been "Greedy"
Only sith lords speak in absolutes - or those who have trouble understanding the concepts. I have used their cards for many years, but does that mean I can not express an opinion? And if you think its only my opinion, look at the hundred or so posts and great excitement generated on this list at the prospect of the fabled UA2 card - and then see the dates of the posts going back to 2007 - so many people are wondering wassup with that.

Quote:
Why aren't you?
Yet another false binary decision. One can either produce music or make a mild comment contrary to a business decisoin, but not both? Are you a good driver or someone complains about the high price of gas? Which is it? One or the other?
Old 7th August 2008
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
Actually I am a little confused at who is mad at who and who is defending who.

Quote:
That has always been one of their selling points - same with Powecore.
Not in todays world - Its helps no matter how much horsepower you have but how many people do you honestly know that buys the UAD system based on the amount of DSP available?

Quote:
You can still bog down a Mac Pro quad without too much trouble. In fact in Logic 8.02 I get those overload messages with extremely few plugins.
Wow! - Then I guess the 8 core must be all hype then? - I can run heaps of plugs on my Quad PC including multiple convos

Quote:
Even at normal sample rates, you only get something like one neve compressor per card.

Stated by UAD - It's why I don't use those plugs that are too taxing on my available DSP - research pays just like it pays to investigate mobo and ram configurations prior to investing in the system

Quote:
don't get that comment. The CPU cores are doing natively processing, the UA card is doing its own processing no matter one core or eight - thats the point.
Not sure if this is a # of cores issue or an architecture problem with Mac Pros - Just know that I have seen lots of people have issues with them

Quote:
I don't think anyone said they were cheated, but that the company is not keeping up with technology, and strangely allowing news of a new product to percolate into the public every few months, then to squash and deny the "rumor". Actually I did have an issue with my original UA board - where it would cause my mac to not wake from sleep if you had certain chipsets. They offered no solution, blamed it on apple, and had no return policy other than to live with it.

Been using for a long time also - don't ever remember UA "allowing" news (along with pricing info) out to major retailers - could be wrong though - All I have ever seen is speculation by users themselves

Quote:
Only sith lords speak in absolutes - or those who have trouble understanding the concepts. I have used their cards for many years, but does that mean I can not express an opinion? And if you think its only my opinion, look at the hundred or so posts and great excitement generated on this list at the prospect of the fabled UA2 card - and then see the dates of the posts going back to 2007 - so many people are wondering wassup with that.

Sith Lords also dont whine - That's why I like them - Of course you have the right to express your opinion - just like I have the right to express that I think it's a poorly stated one at best. I'd personally have more respect for them if you would stop waffling and qualifying your statements. Really doesn't have anything to do with UAD-2 from my perspective - There is no "concept" here? - It's decison making and choices pure and simple

Quote:
Yet another false binary decision. One can either produce music or make a mild comment contrary to a business decisoin, but not both? Are you a good driver or someone complains about the high price of gas? Which is it? One or the other?
OK - I am lost on this "concept" - It's 100% necessary for me to drive therefore 100% necessary for me to puchase fuel. I can complain until the cows come home but come tommorrow- I will be at the pump. The Oil consortiums know this. How does this equate to being a good driver? Where is the either/or? On the other hand it is far from 100% necessary for me to have a UAD-1 or 2 card to mix a good track. That is a CHOICE I make not a necessity.

i'm really not a fanboy here and could care less cause I am not married to any of these things I use in the studio - They are simply tools to me nothing more /nothing less so I'm done talking about it but accusing UAD of being "Greedy" seems a tad bit beyond "mild" to me....
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
zero latency
zero latency
zero latency???
Thats what I need. I had to frickin disable all plugs the other day during a recording and then f with the levels again.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
I wonder were GS/MF got the new cards names and pricing info then ? I can't believe they just made that up.

I still think it's a marketing plan from UA, building up the hype.

I don't really care, just happy that I will be able to test a UA Helios console in a few months. heh

Peter.
Has to be a UA hype thing, as by putting this info on their sites, they have effectively killed sales for UAD1 (no point investing in that when something better is around the corner). I'm sure UA would have a good case in court if GC and MF just made it all up. Plus the names like Nervana 32 etc would there not be some copyright law or something they infringe by making this up?

Also why would they both do this (I take it they are not affliliated?), and they are also affecting their own sales on the product. It would make no comercial sense to make this up.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

If you'd like to know what actually happened.

Some dealers were given model and pricing info at "back room" meetings at one of the recent trade shows, as regularly happens at these shows with manufacturers and upcoming new products. Once the buyer goober from CG put it in their database, it becomes inventory. Another GC system goober does an update to inventory and then the webgoobers update the site to reflect the new inventory seen. It shows up on their own sites (MF/GC) and Sweetwater and JRR (and almost us) have a kneejerk reaction to get it up on their sites as well so as to not lose pre-order sales to Guitar Center. Cause let's face it, once its up for pre-orders its going to be big money for pro audio dealers and no one wants to lose out cause dealers are chomping at the bit as bad as the customers. Meanwhile, other Pro Audio dealers call up their Universal Uudio rep and asks "whats the deal, why does GC get to do this and not us?". So UA in turn calls up GC and tells them to remove it, nda and all that and everyone else follows suit. (unless you were smart like me and choose to wait to actually speak to UA before you posted it for pre order sale on your site). Problem was that GC is a big corporation that sells boxes of goods and only the buyer goober even knows what a nda is. The system guys and web guys just update what they see in the system.

Not a play, not a ploy, not a scandal. Just lack of communication that exists in every company to some degree, its just worse in bigger companies with more people.

Moral of the story. Pre order from someone who knows what they sell and not a large corporation just selling more boxes from their warehouses.
Old 7th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
If ua won't make a uad2, lets make our own! !!
I'm not sure if this is how UAD does it, but if all the plugin logic is contained in the plugins, and the UAD-1 card is only used for processing (which is the whole benefit of the card to take strain off the CPU), then....

...since modern graphics cards like the NVIDIA GeForce FX can be programmed to process floating point data, anyone think its possible to program a graphics card to act like a UAD card with more balls? The UAD-1 with the MPACT2 appears to be just an old school graphics processing card. I haven't looked into it, but if it's possible, I might look into replicating the UAD driver for the NVIDIA FX, which is available for PCI or PCIe.

It's something like what BionicFX did. If anyone knows this is impossible let me know. I bet there would be strong demand for something like that. Those latest NVIDIA cards can perform something like +40 GFLOPS which would be like having +15 UAD-1 cards per slot.

peace
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search