The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post
Are you doing what I think you're doing right now ?

malice
Dreaming? Masturbating? Crying?

All at once.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
LOL. You are not serious??

Universal Access Device 2.

First pic in Google Images search.

FAIL
Dude! Turn your "sarcasm-recognition switch" back on! heh
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
Dude! Turn your "sarcasm-recognition switch" back on! heh
You got me goooood!
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
Where are you getting these prices? I don't see these on Musician Friend.
Uad-2 at Guitar Center. | Search Results

still up (for now)
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

At least he wasn't sarcastic about drinking the pee.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredbird View Post
dead links on GC
Old 5th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
to do that with native like motu and presonus u would have to actually pass the audio thru the sound card like they do before it gets to the daw. uad-2 is not a sound card as of yet. when they release more info, it may be.
True, but TDM doesen't.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

holy cow, i got a hint.

nevana 32, 64, 128 are equal but more powerful architecture for external/laptop use. where 32 means the highest count of the weakest plug at 44.1khz.

but with the other cards it´s different, they will be dongles especially designed and optimized for single-core, duo-core and quad-core cpus.

more power per cent, but the plugins will be more expensive in the long run.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
So let me get this straight, you somehow by way of personal investment know how much money UA is making on these cards? I'm not sure how you've come to identify "greedy behavior" but as someone who is currently involved in prototype DSP/AD development I find it "strange" that you can classify UA's behavior as "greedy" that implies you would need to know what the price point is on their products...do you know how much these things cost or are you just projecting?

As far as "strange" behavior...I think that title should go to MF/GC since UA has NOT made any official announcement, it is indeed "strange" that you could attribute "strange behavior" to UA when they have in fact not done anything...

And why is it ok to defend Malice but not point out that he himself has implied insulting behavior to Peeder?

Physician heal thyself.
I don't know Peeder and was not replying to his comments directly, and I certainly didn't make some stupid armchair psychologist judgement of his character. I pointed out some aspects of this UAD situation and made my own analysis - which of course is quite relevant to this thread.

The quick comments about greedy or strange were only posted later in response to the personal attack - and were not in my original post - and probably not warranted - but the key thing which you are missing is that those were directed toward a big faceless corporation that doesn't seem to even be aware of this conversation, and I explained why I thought so. Its easy enough to look at my posts and see that I have defended and advocated in favor of UA many times - especially in comparison to Waves, the worst software company in existence. Even though I have said many positive things about UA many times, its dawned on me that this dangling the UAD2 several times over the past year, and the failure to keep up to date is an a serious effect.

Why don't you explain why UA is so wonderful using 8 year old technology still, instead of attacking me? Wouldn't that be a little more mature?
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
True, but TDM doesen't.
then ua is going to have to design a software DAW that is integrated with their hardware like digi does w tdm. the price will rise greatly.
Old 5th August 2008
D K
Lives for gear

I always find it strange and frankly very amusing when people bring up the power (or lack there of ) of the UAD-1 cards. Enlighten me here - three maybe four years ago it may have been an issue but with any modern computer we should have more than enough horsepower to run just about anything we choose. Now, I don't know about you but I don't know anyone in the last 2 years who has purchased a UAD-1 card looking for processing power. They buy them for the quality of the emulations as far as I can tell.

Having said that - people are always whining about the fact that they work at higher sample rates and therefore get less instance count. They never state that UAD has always advised that higher sample rates will significantly reduce the available DSP and publish fairly accurate assessments of what you can expect at the optimal sample rate.

Just my opinion - The only people who have any legitimate arguments against UAD are those people using the Mac Pro. They have a genuine beef because the cards have a hard time scaling to 8 cores.

Other then that - YOU GOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND MORE!

Learn how to use the system or move on to something else instead of making ridiculous statements like UAD has been "Greedy" - How? Did you not get what you paid for? Are the plugs not as good as advertised? Or is that you don't know how to get the most out of them so your blaming UAD?

There are plenty of professional Engineers, Producers and Musicians getting a whole hell of a lot of mileage out of this "outdated" DSP technology -

Why aren't you?
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I always find it strange and frankly very amusing when people bring up the power (or lack there of ) of the UAD-1 cards. Enlighten me here - three maybe four years ago it may have been an issue but with any modern computer we should have more than enough horsepower to run just about anything we choose. Now, I don't know about you but I don't know anyone in the last 2 years who has purchased a UAD-1 card looking for processing power. They buy them for the quality of the emulations as far as I can tell.

Having said that - people are always whining about the fact that they work at higher sample rates and therefore get less instance count. They never state that UAD has always advised that higher sample rates will significantly reduce the available DSP and publish fairly accurate assessments of what you can expect at the optimal sample rate.

Just my opinion - The only people who have any legitimate arguments against UAD are those people using the Mac Pro. They have a genuine beef because the cards have a hard time scaling to 8 cores.

Other then that - YOU GOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND MORE!

Learn how to use the system or move on to something else instead of making ridiculous statements like UAD has been "Greedy" - How? Did you not get what you paid for? Are the plugs not as good as advertised? Or is that you don't know how to get the most out of them so your blaming UAD?

There are plenty of professional Engineers, Producers and Musicians getting a whole hell of a lot of mileage out of this "outdated" DSP technology -

Why aren't you?
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't think its appropriate for you to make insulting comments to other people because you don't like the content of their message.
I responded to Malice who's been pissing in this thread. Did you read #33 and #75 ?

Quote:
I have probably invested $2000 in UA boards and plugs and I think I have an right to point out some strange/greedy behaviour. Do you own stock options in UA?

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Maniac

OR they could be doing something like the line 6 toneport with gearbox for monitoring purposes with almost zero latency! Don't forget that UA sent out the survey so it IS possible solo, quad, etc. designations are because that is how may audio inputs and outputs it may have. It also could be firewire AND PCI express!

Fingers crossed its something like this with MORE DSP Power!
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know Peeder and was not replying to his comments directly, and I certainly didn't make some stupid armchair psychologist judgement of his character. I pointed out some aspects of this UAD situation and made my own analysis - which of course is quite relevant to this thread.

The quick comments about greedy or strange were only posted later in response to the personal attack - and were not in my original post - and probably not warranted - but the key thing which you are missing is that those were directed toward a big faceless corporation that doesn't seem to even be aware of this conversation, and I explained why I thought so. Its easy enough to look at my posts and see that I have defended and advocated in favor of UA many times - especially in comparison to Waves, the worst software company in existence. Even though I have said many positive things about UA many times, its dawned on me that this dangling the UAD2 several times over the past year, and the failure to keep up to date is an a serious effect.

Why don't you explain why UA is so wonderful using 8 year old technology still, instead of attacking me? Wouldn't that be a little more mature?
No attack from me, just pointing out that the behavior you criticized was also exercised by the guy you defended...it seems inconsistent to criticize it from one and not the other...

As far as UA I am not sure I have ever seen a "dangling" on the UAD2 card...from them...perhaps someone can enlighten me...

And as far as 8 year old technology...pci-buss, PCM, TDM...to name a few...some technologies still work quite well and the UAD1 falls into that category as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by iomegaman; 5th August 2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: additional thought
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
I responded to Malice who's been pissing in this thread. Did you read #33 and #75 ?
Dude, you gotta get a life.

A was not pissing in this thread by any stretch of imagination. I was merely trying to bring some perspective. When no UAD 2 will be available in 3 or 4 months, I'll quote you and this message, you might learn something then.

It will be good for you

your pal

malice
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? Or are you just naturally a negative person?
Negative person ?

I'm not. It's been several years I'm very positively doing music and accept that I woun't be able to put an insane amount of uad plugs in my session because they are not really willing to develop a new card.

Frankly, so many fake announcements were made about the UAD2. I feel that cheering for the last one wouldn't make me a positive person.

it would make me a ...

there must be a word for this, I an find it really.

Oh well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Dreaming? Masturbating? Crying?

All at once.

it's only a dsp card, you know ...

malice
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

single, dual and quad will refer to the number of processors on board the PCIe card. The 32 - 64 - 128 will refer to the number of instances of Neve plugins the card can process. The Flexi will be the same as it was before, a card with a voucher.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
single, dual and quad will refer to the number of processors on board the PCIe card. The 32 - 64 - 128 will refer to the number of instances of Neve plugins the card can process. The Flexi will be the same as it was before, a card with a voucher.
which neve plug-ins?

For clarification: is it powerful enough to run 128 instances of the Neve 33609 (not the SE)?? which only could run 1 on a uad-1 card.

does it have 128 slots (ala 32 on duende) where u can load any uad plugin no matter how powerful it is?
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Guru

No fake announcements. 2 leaks in the past 7 months. Rather they were both intentional or not is debatable.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, that's exactly my point!Which neve plug in?
For that price i wanna be able to run (at least)32 instances of 'heavyweight' plug ins like 1073/1081/33609 @ 88.2

edit: i also like the duende 'slots' thing.You can run X instances of the plug in, no matter how cpu intensive is the plug in.
Old 6th August 2008
I like it!!!
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post

Frankly, so many fake announcements were made about the UAD2.

Perhaps, but they weren't made by UA
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
holy cow, i got a hint.

nevana 32, 64, 128 are equal but more powerful architecture for external/laptop use. where 32 means the highest count of the weakest plug at 44.1khz.

but with the other cards it´s different, they will be dongles especially designed and optimized for single-core, duo-core and quad-core cpus.

more power per cent, but the plugins will be more expensive in the long run.
Total BS. tutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
which neve plug-ins?
Good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
edit: i also like the duende 'slots' thing.You can run X instances of the plug in, no matter how cpu intensive is the plug in.
I hate that "feature" with a passion. A ridiculous limitation. An unpartitioned implementation completely wails on that BS. This is partly why I'm worried about the "Quad" and "128" thing...will that be partitioned? One hopes not.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Imagine recording a drum with latency free Neve modules,
putting the master in a LA2A.
It's time for TDM for the masses

just a speculation.
Funny you correctly(?) to bring up the possibility of recording a single drum at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
First, kudos to UA for not going that route -- in retrospect, it was unfair to call the UAD-2 vaporware, because vaporware is a product that gets announced but never released. They did not announce it and have not announced it -- they have barely acknolwedged it -- but clearly are working on it.
JSL
OK, new vocabulary word. Fartware. Unlike vaporware, fartware indicates something is indeed going to come out. We'll all hold our breath, and the outcome may very well stink. Alternatively, the outcome may just be a welcome relief and all the hot air wasted up to that point.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
Perhaps, but they weren't made by UA
I wonder were GS/MF got the new cards names and pricing info then ? I can't believe they just made that up.

I still think it's a marketing plan from UA, building up the hype.

I don't really care, just happy that I will be able to test a UA Helios console in a few months. heh

Peter.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
I don't really care, just happy that I will be able to test a UA Helios console in a few months. heh
...And wouldn't it be cool if they did do their own DAW thing, so you could see the channel strips all in a row, and they would individually enlarge (and link up with the controller master section) when you hovered the mouse over them?
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Total BS. tutt
same BS as any other speculation here tutt

we even don´t know if the cards 1. come 2. are equal architecture 3. are named like that.

but why should there be a difference between nevana and normal uad2?!

therefore it´s only deceptive naming which leads to billion compare-questions...
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Generally, I am a rather religious person. But when it comes to new UAD Hardware, I believe only what I see. In this case, see means:
a) an announcement on the start page of uaudio.com, or
b) a physical card in a music store.
What I see on (a) is they extended the current UAD1 promos until end of September so unlikely shalt we see anything before that date.

And I shall not compete with thee slutz for the first UAD2s nor shall I trash mine UAD1s too fastly. I can live with my 2 UAD1s for another year at least.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
...And wouldn't it be cool if they did do their own DAW thing, so you could see the channel strips all in a row, and they would individually enlarge (and link up with the controller master section) when you hovered the mouse over them?
Tip of the hat to you, sir!
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been wanting to see. A DAW that is set up like a console. That would be outstanding. UA would be a perfect company as I think their digital work is a step ahead.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search