The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Correction, 11 years would be more accurate. Perhaps they are waiting until the DSP chip itself classifies as "vintage"?

- "Sure these 3D holographic replicas are great, but compared to the UAD-1 they're missing that warm frustration and don't have the same Mpact"
LOL! heh

IF ONLY DIGI WOULD COME TO THE PARTY WITH PDC FOR LE
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Head

Cool

Hey UAD people, if youre reading this, just wanna let you know. I love my UAD card and all the plugs I have - but if UAD2 wont come out in the near future Im gonna buy myself a Focusrite LiquidMix instead of another UAD card.

I'll say it slowly so u could understand:

PEOPLE-NEED-MORE-PROCESSING-POWER

regards,
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm hoping for Firewire UAD-2,
I remember many years ago I asked them about releasing FW version of UAD and a lady replied that they may consider it in UAD-2.
Bandwidth difference between PCIe and Firewire isn't relly a problem, because Firewire has enough bandwidth to transport a decent number of I/O. Look at RME Fireface (56 audio streams) or SSL Duende (64 audio streams).
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
I remember many years ago I asked them about releasing FW version of UAD and a lady replied that they may consider it in UAD-2.
Bandwidth difference between PCIe and Firewire isn't relly a problem, because Firewire has enough bandwidth to transport a decent number of I/O. Look at RME Fireface (56 audio streams) or SSL Duende (64 audio streams).

And isn't that band-width of fire-wire about to quadruple soon as well?
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

UAD Forums :: View topic - THERE WILL BE a UAD2!

QUOTE:

Dear UAD Users,

We would like to clear up speculation and mis-information by making a formal statement from both UA & EL clearing up the following points.

1) UA & EL have signed a Trademark Licensing Agreement.

2) There will be plug-in partnership announcement at NAMM 2008 confirming that the EL Fatso will be a forthcoming plug-in for UAD-1.(ONE)

3) The expected ship date for the UAD EL Fatso plug-in will not however be until late 2008.

Apologies for any confusion and we wish you all a Happy 2008 in your music making!

Best,

Mike Barnes

VP Of Marketing
Recording Academy, ASCAP, NARAS Member
Analog Ears | Digital Minds
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps they are waiting until the DSP chip itself classifies as "vintage"?
Lol! Yeah "Vintage DSP", like you said - comes with that familiar feeling of 'warm frustration' and CPU busting error messages...

UAD-2 could well save me from buying the Focusrite Liquid Mix which was next on my list. I know it will certainly cost more, but if it has some decent plugs and is powerful - I'm In.

Looking forward to NAMM 08!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Well there is still 2 weeks to go.. This thread is gonna continue to grow and grow with endless speculation.
If they don't release an update there is gonna be a lot of back-fire.. the truth is, it doesn't mater how long they take to make it, everyone is gonna want to buy one straight away. i recently bought a powercore out of th need for extra DSP, but the thing SUCKS compared to my old UAD plugs. I NEED them back!!!
Old 3rd January 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:

Aside from its use as a DSP card, the UAD-1 card has been the most successful dongle ever. Stealing UA plugins is about as easy as stealing the original hardware.
This is very true, and I suspect the reason companies such as SPL and EL agreed to develop and license plugins with UA, since they've been proven not to be ravaged by piracy.

Now give us a more powerful dongle UA!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Whatever it's the FATSO!!
The only hardware unit that I would ever buy.
Let's say the lugin costs 250$ + the 300$ (?) for a UAD1 and this thing sounds NEARLY as good as the original ,it would be the best bang for the buck ever.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
Whatever it's the FATSO!!
The only hardware unit that I would ever buy.
Let's say the lugin costs 250$ + the 300$ (?) for a UAD1 and this thing sounds NEARLY as good as the original ,it would be the best bang for the buck ever.
I owned a fatso for a year or so. Personally I loved the way it looked, and the feeling that it gave me that I actually bought one but nothing and I mean nothing has changed in the quality of my recordings or mixes since I sold it.

Never felt it sounded like tape. I must have been doing something seriously wrong with the few controls it possessed.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I owned a fatso for a year or so. Personally I loved the way it looked, and the feeling that it gave me that I actually bought one but nothing and I mean nothing has changed in the quality of my recordings or mixes since I sold it.

Never felt it sounded like tape. I must have been doing something seriously wrong with the few controls it possessed.
really!?
i love the way it warms up a mix
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not going to happen - at least for their flagship card (maybe a "lite" version? But you would still likely need a Firewire PCI card to create a new bus which wouldn't compete with any other audio devices).

It's all in the webzine explaining why..... even if Firewire bandwidth does quadruple this year, there's more to the UAD processing than that. Again, search the webzine archieves over at UA and there's a detailed article from about a year ago explaining why they are sticking with a PCI interface for the UAD line....
Old 3rd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
...Oh and by the way...this seems interesting from the UAD forum:

Hmmmmm..... HMMMMMM...

That there is no zine, on the 3rd day of the month doesn't mean much. There was no webzine released in Feb. 2007, and a lot of times the zine isn't released until the middle of the given month. All saving the zine till after NAMM means is that, yes UA will have something new to announce/show off at NAMM, and that they want to feature it in the zine. Could just be a piece of outboard gear. I imagine they'll be heavily promoting the SPL and the new compressor at this year's show.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

there's no UAD-2. the man said it was a typo. be prepared to be upset, yet again folks!
Old 3rd January 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
there's no UAD-2. the man said it was a typo. be prepared to be upset, yet again folks!
If that is the case, it will turn out to be one of the most damaging typos a company could possibly have...
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Guru

I still have faith that they have a new card they have been keeping under wraps. They just have to since the market demands it. ;-) If not, thats it for me. I plan to sell all but one card just to keep the plugin licenses handy in the event they eventually do release something this decade.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
Yep.

See post # 18
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Sorry, we're going to have to go with your 1st answer!

There is a UAD-2 coming at NAMM.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
This thread is gonna continue to grow and grow with endless speculation....
Mackie Control Universal Pro
Akai MPD 24

Outboard
GSSL (D.I.Y. bus comp)
Sebatron VMP 2000e

Monitors
Genelec 8050's
Genelec 1029's
Yamaha NS-10Mc's
Mackie Big Knob

Synths
Moog Voyager RME
Roland Jupiter 6
Roland Jupiter 8
DSI Prophet 08
DSI Poly Evolver
Nord Modular
Roland TR-808

Software Plug-Ins
TC Powercore Fire-Wire Logic Pro 8
Waves SSL Bundle
URS Neve EQ & Comp.
Sount-Toys Bundle
Sonalksis Bundle
This thread is going to continue to grow and grow with endless personal inventories...
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

I still have hope that the UAD-2 will be at NAMM.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm hoping for Firewire UAD-2.
That would at least add some more power, but I'd like to see them go head to head with TDM/Accel latencey/powerwise. Why not?
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
That would at least add some more power, but I'd like to see them go head to head with TDM/Accel latencey/powerwise. Why not?
There's nothing they can do latencywise unless they decide to go all-out and also serve as an audio interface. TDM is primarily an i/o system that also offers DSP...the audio never gets to the host CPU, unless it goes through RTAS.

Which hmm...come to think of it, UA might want to try. They have made converters, preamps, etc...

But that's a needless complication on the product line...they'd be fighting a two-front battle, and too many people already have substantial investments in audio interfaces. So no this will probably just be a set of plugins with a hardware DSP to prevent piracy.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread is going to continue to grow and grow with endless personal inventories...
LOL! heh

YOWZA! Reduce font size!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Well congrats on a contract with Dave Derr!

But who is the guy that has to be fired for being too unskilled to build a UAD 2? heh heh heh

Dear UNIVERAL AUDIO,
that unit is damn old and damn underpowered! Keep existing and future customers satisfied and give us MORE POWER! I do not care for Billy-Bob Thornten or anyone else on your user list, I care for a UAD 2!

(P.S.: Only a fool will start any Angelina Jolie jokes! heh (Thought of it, too!))
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
UAD Forums :: View topic - THERE WILL BE a UAD2!

QUOTE:

Dear UAD Users,

We would like to clear up speculation and mis-information by making a formal statement from both UA & EL clearing up the following points.

1) UA & EL have signed a Trademark Licensing Agreement.

2) There will be plug-in partnership announcement at NAMM 2008 confirming that the EL Fatso will be a forthcoming plug-in for UAD-1.(ONE)

3) The expected ship date for the UAD EL Fatso plug-in will not however be until late 2008.

Apologies for any confusion and we wish you all a Happy 2008 in your music making!

Best,

Mike Barnes

VP Of Marketing
Recording Academy, ASCAP, NARAS Member
Analog Ears | Digital Minds

Oh dear Lord this keeps getting worse and worse. It's should be a dead set rule that you MUST read the entire thread before posting so you can avoid stuff like this. Isn't this like the 3rd time this has been posted in this thread? I never realized in the past how few people actually read or how selective their reading really is. For the love of all things audio, read people, just read.
Old 3rd January 2008
Quote:
This thread is going to continue to grow and grow with endless personal lavatories...

heh
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
There's nothing they can do latencywise unless they decide to go all-out and also serve as an audio interface. TDM is primarily an i/o system that also offers DSP...
That explains 0 latencey on live input, but not after the fact where every solution other than TDM seems to falter. It is after all, a PCI card with PPC DSP chips that plugins run off of regardless wether it has audio passing through it or not. Am I wrong?
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
That explains 0 latencey on live input, but not after the fact where every solution other than TDM seems to falter. It is after all, a PCI card with PPC DSP chips that plugins run off of regardless wether it has audio passing through it or not. Am I wrong?
The mix engine isn't running on the host CPU in TDM. It is on other systems. They had a lot of problems integrating RTAS into TDM which I think they have solved now, but they needed Delay Comp working to do so. I think there are inevitable compromises when you run RTAS in a TDM system though (they don't magically have low latency). And the TDM latency isn't 0 either, but it is much faster than host-based systems.
Old 4th January 2008
Gear Maniac

it is hard to believe anyone familiar with the hysteria about UA's long delay on this would make that typo... possible, but unlikely, no? It would be like writing to your toothless friend that you'd be "gappy" to go have spaghetti with them next tuesday.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I owned a fatso for a year or so. Personally I loved the way it looked, and the feeling that it gave me that I actually bought one but nothing and I mean nothing has changed in the quality of my recordings or mixes since I sold it. .

Ha. How many pieces of gear can this be said of...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search