The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I guess the advertising price in the beginning will be very high after the first hype I could believe that the price will go down.

But it is good to know that there will be new more powerful UAD cards.
Maybe this will mean that we get also more powerful plug ins during technicals like component modeling but if it end up to have the same power.....as today but the plugs will sound better...fine.

I hope we will get by UAD such a great one as TC did it with the CL1B
The difference between the Plug and the real thing is near ZERO.....

GO UAD......

Or it would be a dream to have a Fairchild II better emulated as the first one....yummy.........
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just hoping that it works with the new Mac Pro / Logic 8...
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Jesus Christ....

You guys are f#¤%in unbelievable...

I'd say launch at Winter NAMM...

And you'd really think they'd make a 128 MADI that let's you run 88RS, 1073, 1081 or 33609 on every channel for a coupla grand? dfegad

please everyone who almost wet their pants from the excitement; do the rest of us a favor and hold you breath

And to MF/GC and the rest; you know better than to post something like that, eh?

morten
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to LOL if the UAD-2 is just the UAD-1 with the ADAT option - anyone remember the ad for that in the Sweetwater catalog about 5 years ago?
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
MPACT 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SGS-THOMSON Announces Mpact Second Generation Media Processor

125 MHz? Yikes!

Are you guys sure the quad isn't just 4 of the old cards packaged together? heh
completely irrelevant to the UAD2
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I'm just hoping that it works with the new Mac Pro / Logic 8...
Word
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Customer Service
Universal Audio
What this mostly tells us is that UA believes it will be released eventually.

It doesn't tell us how far along they really are. For all we know, the product is no closer to release than it was a year ago. While I don't doubt at this point that the UAD-2 exists in some form -- actually, I never doubted it existed at least as a protyotype -- I do wonder, if it's only a month away, then where are all the beta testers?

Just for one extreme example, the Mackie Onyx 1200F was announced at AES 2005 and didn't ship for over two years after that -- and it was listed on every major retailer's web site before the end of 2005, and very few people had one before 2008. Two solid years.

First, kudos to UA for not going that route -- in retrospect, it was unfair to call the UAD-2 vaporware, because vaporware is a product that gets announced but never released. They did not announce it and have not announced it -- they have barely acknolwedged it -- but clearly are working on it. While aggravating to the diehards, this is the right way to do it. To have announced the product a year ago would have more severely aggravated the customers and undermined confidence in the company to follow through on its promises -- as it stands, they have basically made no promises, except that whatever it is and whenever it arrives, we will like it. Good form.

Second, I'm not saying the product is still two years away, but I do believe that the 2-4 weeks marking on those web sites is generic and meaningless. There is no reason the product would not be announced more than two weeks ahead -- possibly they are drying up inventory, probably they are still working like crazy to get this thing rock-solid with Leopard and Vista, while recognizing that they're also going to have to support XP and Tiger at the very least.

That can be a very, very long process, so there's still really no telling when this thing will actually arrive. I assume that they decided a long time ago not to release a hardware product with beta software, as Apogee did with the Ensemble. Again, that has to be seen as a smart and honorable move, and it also suggests that they've put themselves in a position financially where they don't HAVE TO release the product to get new cash flow. All very good things long-term for UA and their customers.

So I take this as a positive sign, but it seems to me that UA is working pretty hard to keep everyone's expectations down re: the ship date. I think everyone should go along with that. Don't assume it will be available this year.

As a side-note, replying to another, Digidesign has a long history giving solid value on hardware trade-ups to new systems. It's still expensive, but the discount is substantial. UA has less of a track record on these issues, but what track record they do have is very good. I would bet that they will honor all existing software licenses and offer a solid discount on card trade-ups.

JSL
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Maniac

i bet the guys at UA have a lot of fun with this thread, day by day...
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
What this mostly tells us is that UA believes it will be released eventually.

It doesn't tell us how far along they really are. For all we know, the product is no closer to release than it was a year ago. While I don't doubt at this point that the UAD-2 exists in some form -- actually, I never doubted it existed at least as a protyotype -- I do wonder, if it's only a month away, then where are all the beta testers?

Just for one extreme example, the Mackie Onyx 1200F was announced at AES 2005 and didn't ship for over two years after that -- and it was listed on every major retailer's web site before the end of 2005, and very few people had one before 2008. Two solid years.

First, kudos to UA for not going that route -- in retrospect, it was unfair to call the UAD-2 vaporware, because vaporware is a product that gets announced but never released. They did not announce it and have not announced it -- they have barely acknolwedged it -- but clearly are working on it. While aggravating to the diehards, this is the right way to do it. To have announced the product a year ago would have more severely aggravated the customers and undermined confidence in the company to follow through on its promises -- as it stands, they have basically made no promises, except that whatever it is and whenever it arrives, we will like it. Good form.

Second, I'm not saying the product is still two years away, but I do believe that the 2-4 weeks marking on those web sites is generic and meaningless. There is no reason the product would not be announced more than two weeks ahead -- possibly they are drying up inventory, probably they are still working like crazy to get this thing rock-solid with Leopard and Vista, while recognizing that they're also going to have to support XP and Tiger at the very least.

That can be a very, very long process, so there's still really no telling when this thing will actually arrive. I assume that they decided a long time ago not to release a hardware product with beta software, as Apogee did with the Ensemble. Again, that has to be seen as a smart and honorable move, and it also suggests that they've put themselves in a position financially where they don't HAVE TO release the product to get new cash flow. All very good things long-term for UA and their customers.

So I take this as a positive sign, but it seems to me that UA is working pretty hard to keep everyone's expectations down re: the ship date. I think everyone should go along with that. Don't assume it will be available this year.

As a side-note, replying to another, Digidesign has a long history giving solid value on hardware trade-ups to new systems. It's still expensive, but the discount is substantial. UA has less of a track record on these issues, but what track record they do have is very good. I would bet that they will honor all existing software licenses and offer a solid discount on card trade-ups.

JSL
It's almost impossible to be able to tell, beta testers doesn't really tell us anything, as the testers in this particular case could have signed a non-disclosure agreement.

Just look at Omnisphere, months of buildup and anticipation, yet there is another new soft-synth coming out, extremely powerful!, that no-one knows about except those on the beta team, of which I'm one of them and also had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. They want to keep it super quiet so its a nice big surprise when it comes out.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Well, still, I do not know if it is a good idea to do as nothing has happened. Ok, we all expected that there will be a UAD-2 within our life-time.

But know there are questions as to the technical requirements - will older systems that are currently supported will be still able to use a UAD-2 (like OS and connection: PCI/PCIe)? Of course the question if those cards can work side-by-side? The conditions for transfering your purchased plugins to the new card?

Especially for PCI-computer users this might be quite interesting as if it would be more interesting to buy or to wait. Do not know how many that are but I see to changes - you buy or you wait. Which is better for UAudio?

best
Old 5th August 2008
Ok, so it seems we are there.
just a speculation: the guys at UA say that we have to wait and wait will be worth.
I imagine it to be more than a double powered UAD card. What could it be that arises our enthusiasm?
My answer is: DSP acceleration. In a ZERO LATENCY way...
I think it could be possible and it would be the REAL revolution. This would blow Waves away FOR REAL. Lately Yamaha (Steinberg) Motu Presonus implemented this technology in their cards, so could UAD2. Imagine recording a drum with latency free Neve modules,
putting the master in a LA2A.
It's time for TDM for the masses

just a speculation.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
...you buy or you wait. Which is better for UAudio?
whatever, sooner or later you'll buy anything anyway heh this whole discussion is just senseless. Questions overall and nobody will/can tell you the answer right now. Stop speculating and wait. Best you can do.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzamir View Post
whatever, sooner or later you'll buy anything anyway heh this whole discussion is just senseless. Questions overall and nobody will/can tell you the answer right now. Stop speculating and wait. Best you can do.
If you dont want to join in the discussion - dont!

I for one love reading peoples opinions on what UAD2 is going to be. Nothing unhealthy about people speculating and giving opinions..

On topic.
Im with a few people here - Solo, Duo, Quad will probably relate to the "NEW" processors on board.
and 32, 64, 128 may relate to how many instances you can run of a Neve plug - Just think Focusrite Liquid Mix 16 - That runs 16 instances of a plug... Same ball park yeah.

stike
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I found a picture! I found a picture!

http://www.testech-elect.com/pls/images/uad2.jpg

Oh my god! It looks like...well....it looks ugly! And they forgot the cover for half of it! And what does testech-elect have to do with it? The plot thickens....

Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
I found a picture! I found a picture!

http://www.testech-elect.com/pls/images/uad2.jpg

Oh my god! It looks like...well....it looks ugly! And they forgot the cover for half of it! And what does testech-elect have to do with it? The plot thickens....

LOL. You are not serious??

Universal Access Device 2.

First pic in Google Images search.

FAIL
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I'm going to LOL if the UAD-2 is just the UAD-1 with the ADAT option..
Yeah UAD seem to want to run thier company into the ground, letting others take over thier market share..

UAD2 WILL be the best thing to happen to the world of DAWs, since umm DAWs..
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
LOL. You are not serious??

Universal Access Device 2.

First pic in Google Images search.

FAIL
Hahaha... Fail.
Hahaha... Just what I needed this morning.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Ok, so it seems we are there.
just a speculation: the guys at UA say that we have to wait and wait will be worth.
I imagine it to be more than a double powered UAD card. What could it be that arises our enthusiasm?
My answer is: DSP acceleration. In a ZERO LATENCY way...
I think it could be possible and it would be the REAL revolution. This would blow Waves away FOR REAL. Lately Yamaha (Steinberg) Motu Presonus implemented this technology in their cards, so could UAD2. Imagine recording a drum with latency free Neve modules,
putting the master in a LA2A.
It's time for TDM for the masses

just a speculation.
to do that with native like motu and presonus u would have to actually pass the audio thru the sound card like they do before it gets to the daw. uad-2 is not a sound card as of yet. when they release more info, it may be.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Well think about it, if the goal is total virtualization, then a UAD-2 with 128 ch MADI i/o could form a complete virtual Neve 88RS console with sub-millisecond roundtrip latency, an enormous rack of outboard including vintage neve modules, LA-2A/3A, 1176, Fatso/Distressor/LilFreq, Helios, dbx 160VU, EMT 140, Space Echo etc. etc. All fully latency compensated and runnable in real time.

You would add converters and preamps and monitors and a control surface. UA could supply at least the first two of those too. Not sure exactly about the DAW hookup...but even that could be something as simple as a virtual Studer (with unlimited tracks).

A completely virtualized high-end studio for less than a tenth the cost.
Are you doing what I think you're doing right now ?

malice
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
Maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months,
maybe a few years

malice
Old 5th August 2008
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
Exactly.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems UA is getting the retailers to pull the listings. Late this morning some of the links started going to "product not found" pages.

The good news is, there will be a UAD-2 in the near future. Maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months, but it's coming.
Unfortunately we went through this same thing at the last Winter Namm in January - where there was a convenient leak and talk of a Distressor of Fatso plugin, and it seemed that the UAD2 was coming any day - but 6 months later they are still waiting.

Are you familiar with the new Angelina Jolie movie "Wanted"? It was actually fnished 6 months ago. But the studios realized it was a hot movie so they held it in the vaults until the summer. It may be that UA is still seeing good sales from their UA1 and are waiting for sales to flatten out - so they can then sell more upgrades, get rid of their stock of the cheaper boards and ultimately screw more people.

Do companies do this? I recall buying Opcode Studio Vision and getting a great upgrade price - a month before they went out of business. They screwed a lot of people by selling upgrades on a dead product but keeping that secret until they got the money.

In the case of UA, they have been using the same chip for 6 years or so. A Mac G4/400 chip that might have cost $500 at the time the UA came out, now goes for $25 on ebay. But UA is still getting the same prices essentially for their stuff. In fact, if you are an original buyer, you got even more plugins in the package than the bottom end now - like the LA2A, etc.

During a period of time when we have gone from 400 mhz to Eight core x 2.8 mhz (22,000), its unbelievable they would still be selling the antiquated old card. No wonder some plug ins take up an entire card!

And in terms of upgrades, don't5 expect any discount. they will probably give you a credit voucher but you will have to pay full price for a brand new board. This is what they did when they went from PCI to PCI e.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post
maybe a few years

malice
who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? Or are you just naturally a negative person?

dfegad Cheerio!
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? Or are you just naturally a negative person?

dfegad Cheerio!
I don't think its appropriate for you to make insulting comments to other people because you don't like the content of their message. I have probably invested $2000 in UA boards and plugs and I think I have an right to point out some strange/greedy behaviour. Do you own stock options in UA?
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2Hear View Post
completely irrelevant to the UAD2
- not irrelevant if they are still using the same chip... (also relevant from a historical and programming perspective).
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

I cant believe some people think they are going to use the same chip???
I will drink 1 cup of my own dfegad every day, for every post on this thread if UAD uses the same chips for UAD2!!
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
I don't think its appropriate for you to make insulting comments to other people because you don't like the content of their message. I have probably invested $2000 in UA boards and plugs and I think I have an right to point out some strange/greedy behaviour. Do you own stock options in UA?

So let me get this straight, you somehow by way of personal investment know how much money UA is making on these cards? I'm not sure how you've come to identify "greedy behavior" but as someone who is currently involved in prototype DSP/AD development I find it "strange" that you can classify UA's behavior as "greedy" that implies you would need to know what the price point is on their products...do you know how much these things cost or are you just projecting?

As far as "strange" behavior...I think that title should go to MF/GC since UA has NOT made any official announcement, it is indeed "strange" that you could attribute "strange behavior" to UA when they have in fact not done anything...

And why is it ok to defend Malice but not point out that he himself has implied insulting behavior to Peeder?

Physician heal thyself.
Old 5th August 2008
Here for the gear

I would hardly call UA greedy... Of all the companies i have bought stuff from they are probably the most user friendly and supportive of them all! You just have to keep up with their promotions... And the plugs quite simply rock the most in my opinion.

I mean just compare to TC, Steinberg, and above all WAVES!
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
I cant believe some people think they are going to use the same chip???
I will drink 1 cup of my own dfegad every day, for every post on this thread if UAD uses the same chips for UAD2!!
oh ****. Now I kind of hope it is cuz that would be hilarious if you had to do that. We of course are going to hold you to your word! ;-)
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
oh ****. Now I kind of hope it is cuz that would be hilarious if you had to do that. We of course are going to hold you to your word! ;-)
Maybe I should make it my signature..

hmm. I think with this post. Thats 724 posts... 1 cup of pee per day for 724 days..

thumbsup
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search