The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
You really dont think UAD would be that silly do you? To make all UAD-1 users purchase thier plugins again for use with UAD-2... heh
Well, i always thought their business model was to 'give aways the cards/dongle' and then 'make their money on the plugins' .. .. .

So now they shift their strategy, and 'make their money on the uad-2 card' whilst letting you use the same 'ol uad-1 plugs ?? And if the UAD-2 is 3or4 X more powerfull than uad-1, then you only need 1 card at $500 instead of 4x @ $300ea . How does UA make any money (and stay in business and grow) on this scheme??

Not trying to be hard on you, just trying to make sense of it all ???
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
Well, i always thought their business model was to 'give aways the cards/dongle' and then 'make their money on the plugins' .. .. .

So now they shift their strategy, and 'make their money on the uad-2 card' whilst letting you use the same 'ol uad-1 plugs ?? And if the UAD-2 is 3or4 X more powerfull than uad-1, then you only need 1 card at $500 instead of 4x @ $300ea . How does UA make any money (and stay in business and grow) on this scheme??

hmm.. OK you do make a good point there.
I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:

They make money by selling new cards to those of us that already have the plugins. Problem with selling 4 of the old cards is that I am sure that well was drying up, thus was why they were blowing them out and offering incentives with vouchers.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

I just think most people are missing the point of DSP. Yes they're there to power their own cards. But they are also there, primarily I presume, to protect their investment. People seem to bemoan the lack of power. That's not it. You're paying for the right to use the plugins. That's why they're not going native.

I love the two cards I have, but as it is I don't use up the DSP on them, so I'm not hankering for more power. I prefer the plugins in my Metric Halo boxes anyway. I mean they don't replace UAD per se. They are what they are and they do have great color. But I use the DSP in the Metric Halo far more. That's why I have no use for more UAD DSP.

For someone who doesn't use them THAT much I'd be hard pressed to spend that much for an upgrade.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

I would assume that the new cards and old cards will all run the current plug-ins without having to re purchase. But there will probably be new plug-ins that will only run on the newer cards by requiring much more DSP power.

Quote:

Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Maybe they are looking to be a new studio standard. For the studio's to really pick up UAD for the long haul, the cards need to be hefty to run 24bit 192Khz @128 channels. UA also makes money through their hardware line, ya know the 610, 1176, la2a...etc and are working on many new plugs as well.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Hardware View Post
Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Universal Audio
Fake user!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know man, their cheapest card is like, what, about $350? Considering how much a card like that would normally cost (i.e "outdated" graphics card) it doesn't seem like a "give away". And the plugs seem pretty middle of the road as far as price goes, when taking the quality into account. It actually seems like a pretty balanced strategy to me.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post

--- I'm betting 32, 64, 128 is for the amount of RAM per card. (for review, the UAD-1 has 4 MB. DSP has different needs than general computing. ie: The Playstation 3 is processing monster yet only has 256 for graphics and 256 for it's total system.)

perhaps, but my guess would be it is for marketing purposes.

Duende mini is marketed as "16 channels" (let's just ignore mono/stereo for the moment).

My guess is Nevana 32 will run 32 "channels" (instances) of the 88rs.

The big Duende is marketed as running "32 channels". If the UAD-2 quad can run 128 instances of the 88rs, and it priced about the same. UAD should be a bit ahead of the game and probably have a real winner on their hands.

Assuming the above (and of course, it's purely speculation) each UAD-2 "core" will be about 3X more power than the UAD-1 (32 instances of 88rs vs. 10 instances).

If all this is close, than a quad at US $1,500 with the power of 12+ UAD-1 cards should keep most people happy for a while (assuming they've solved load balancing across the cores!!!).

While some are happy with the power of the current cards (good for you!!! - seriously!) I am not.

I use three UAD-1's currently, and have forgone some plugs (33609) cause they're too heavy for the current system. I have skipped the last few promos cause I can't fully use the plugs I currently have. And I have to be very judicious in applying plugs like 1073 and RE-201.

I could buy a quad and not have to think about throwing the low instance count plugs (1073, 1081, 33609, RE-201) down on stuff. That would be nice!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear
I'm hoping they lower prices on existing UAD-1 plugs when they release the new hardware. I still want to pick up the 1073 and maybe the Buss comp.

Maybe at least a nice sale.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

i'm hoping for the firewire version...

seems the way to go... for a broader market - imacs, laptops, etc...

disclaimer i bought the 24" imac may 2008
Old 4th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
For someone who doesn't use them THAT much I'd be hard pressed to spend that much for an upgrade.
The new card, if priced the way it was leaked at MF/GC, is about the cost of the D2 upgrade (or whatever it's called). But yea, if you don't need something, why buy it?
Old 4th August 2008

i have a strong feeling this leak was intentional. It gives UA a chance to maintain their "aura of secrecy" regarding products, but at the same time diminish the probability that folks will buy UAD-1's weeks and days before the UAD-2 debuts. Now, you'd have to be nuts to buy a UAD-1. Less headache, less folks complaining about buying an old product the day before the big upgrade is available/announced. Not just for UA, but for GC/MF, sweetwaters of the world etc.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Personally, I think that there has never been a better time to buy UAD cards.

I find it very amusing that people complain about how they can't use 20 instances of a 3369, or 20 Pultecs...as if any studio in the world has 20 REAL pultecs, la2a's, etc... at their disposal

Just my 2c
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

if they can fix the delay probs

waves get big headache then

plus digidesign will launch le includet delay compensation(havend tryd yed that 3th party one around in gs)

too survive.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
Personally, I think that there has never been a better time to buy UAD cards.

I find it very amusing that people complain about how they can't use 20 instances of a 3369, or 20 Pultecs...as if any studio in the world has 20 REAL pultecs, la2a's, etc... at their disposal

Just my 2c

How many times do we have to travel down that road? lol Read the thread. This has been covered. And sounds like you don't need the UAD2 so move along. ;-) Obviously a lot of us and even UA beg to differ otherwise they wouldn't be releasing a new card..
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Excuse me but :

I'm a big fan of UAD plugs but again, seing annoucement over several dealer websites such as guitarcenter or whatever without any serious statement from Uaudio raise a bunch of red flags.

i wouldn't count on a working UAD-2 for about 6 months if I were you.

I'm not thrilled by their communication philosophy either.

All this raises a big WTF in my head right now

malice
Old 4th August 2008
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post
Excuse me but :

I'm a big fan of UAD plugs but again, seing annoucement over several dealer websites such as guitarcenter or whatever without any serious statement from Uaudio raise a bunch of red flags.

i wouldn't count on a working UAD-2 for about 6 months if I were you.

I'm not thrilled by their communication philosophy either.

All this raises a big WTF in my head right now

malice
Post #39
Old 4th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
if they can fix the delay probs

waves get big headache then

plus digidesign will launch le includet delay compensation(havend tryd yed that 3th party one around in gs)

too survive.
...and maybe mutant dolphins will attack humans while swimming in the dead sea..

why not..

or freedom in afghanistan..

hei man.. we are talking about a simple PLUGIN-DONGLE-CARD... not the masterplan, or worldpiece..
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

I do find it rather interesting that MF and GC are able to know exactly what the product pricing will be before UA has released the product...it does in fact seem a bit like a "leak" since both retailers would need to get that pricing from UA in the first place...

So...UA knows what to leak to the retailers about how much it cost...whcih tells me they are done with the coding, and design...probably huge debates around the UA lunch table about the most reasonable way to take UAD-1 users money without inflaming the masses....

The UAD2 crossover:

Buy any of the UAD2 products and sell or keep your UAD1 card and get $250.00 in vouchers...

Because we all know they don't need the UAD1 cards for anything, so there's no point in buying them back...but how to get us all to migrate...

I guess they could always do what Microsnot does and tell us that 2009 UAD1 will no longer be supported...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPACT_2

http://www.lightner.net/lightner/bruce/mpact_press.html

Quote:
The Mpact 2 runs at 125 MHz that is twice the speed of its predecessor, thus is capable of executing over 6 billion operations per second (BOPS), allowing it to provide the best DVD and audio performance in its class. Using the Mpact as a co-processor to the x86 dramatically reduce the Multimedia load on the host CPU and allows to build sub $1,000 PCs with Multimedia capabilities you never thought possible with a low cost PC.
125 MHz? Yikes!

Are you guys sure the quad isn't just 4 of the old cards packaged together? heh
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

i bet they'll sell the plugins like they regularly do.. but to someone that already owns the plugins and wants to upgrade to the uad2 version of the plugin, they will only pay half or something.. i bet u!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
I do find it rather interesting that MF and GC are able to know exactly what the product pricing will be before UA has released the product...it does in fact seem a bit like a "leak" since both retailers would need to get that pricing from UA in the first place...
Its NOT a leak.

Its a marketing strategy...

If it were a leak. MF, GC etc would be in breach of contract..
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
Its NOT a leak.

Its a marketing strategy...

If it were a leak. MF, GC etc would be in breach of contract..
and Sweetwater leaked it too? I find it hard to believe 2 separate entities leaked it on the same day?
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
and Sweetwater leaked it too? I find it hard to believe 2 separate entities leaked it on the same day?
hmm true. Im not from the US.. But I did think a few of those stores were owned by the same company.

Who knows..
I still think its a marketing strategy though..
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I didn't see it on Sweetwater.

There was also a "leak" that started this thread (for the Fatso announcment).

They are either incompetent with their NDA enforcement or they are trying to blow the dogwhistle for their long-suffering supporters.

At this point I would be simply stunned if the launch isn't October AES. Speechless. It would mean something went very awfully wrong in late beta.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

are teh new cards based on intel processors? Thaose names like quad are duo seem intelish.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
zero latency
zero latency
zero latency???
Only pobbible wib a UA interface.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Only pobbible wib a UA interface.
WOW the rumors where right cool ....
Yes I had in my head that all DSP Systems have latency is that right Peder?
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
WOW the rumors where right cool ....
Yes I had in my head that all DSP Systems have latency is that right Peder?
If you go off-chip i.e. not on the native CPU you have bus buffering to deal with which takes some time. The computers weren't designed for this which is why Digi did TDM, Metric Halo did their new thing 2d, etc.

UA might do something like this, the only hint I got was from their survey which asked questions about interfaces for some odd reason.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search