The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Question:

I have two UAD 1 cards with lots of plugs.
If I sell both cards to someone, do I still own the licenses for the plugs? Or are they part of the cards?

Does that mean I'd have to re-buy all of my plugs for the UAD 2?dfegad
I would seriously doubt it. But since there hasn't been any official word from UA yet, nobody knows.
Old 4th August 2008
We're talking about the Mpact2 chip here. This silicon is old graphics
card technology. It may have been powerful in its day .. but it's certainly
not now. This is seriously old silicon.

jeff
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I only see the July one up.
Universal Audio

August's webzine is up with no mention of UAD-2.

Doesn't really mean anything though. IMO.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
ooh I love having 2 cards that yesterday were worth a good few hundred dollars each... And today them being worth 3 dollars. . . . . ..

I'll offer you 4 bucks each . . . . . . heh
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Question:
. . . Does that mean I'd have to re-buy all of my plugs for the UAD 2?dfegad

No, they will be FREE!!!!!!!
After all, since they took 10 long years to develop the UAD-2, you should get it all free, right?

WRONG!!!

Be prepared to pay through the nose. This is not a popularity contest. UA is in biz to make money. That money has got to come from somewhere. Come to your senses, man. UA is going to bleed us for every penny that they can squeeze out, and those of us hyptnotized here will be more than happy to give every last drop.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
No, they will be FREE!!!!!!!
After all, since they took 10 long years to develop the UAD-2, you should get it all free, right?

WRONG!!!

Be prepared to pay through the nose. This is not a popularity contest. UA is in biz to make money. That money has got to come from somewhere. Come to your senses, man. UA is going to bleed us for every penny that they can squeeze out, and those of us hyptnotized here will be more than happy to give every last drop.
It won't be free, but plenty of companies offer upgrade paths. I don't know about the hypnotized, but the level headed will be just fine.
Old 4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Message from UA at the bottom of the post
UAD Forums • View topic - UAD-2 is Here....Thank U GUITAR CENTER!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
WRONG!!!

You dont think that if a UAD-1 user who owns ALL the plugs and wants to purchase 1 UAD2 card has to purchase ALL the plugs again do you?

Silly boy tutt
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
An official announcement would be nice.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=uad-2&st=

From the unofficial support site:

Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Customer Service
Universal Audio
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post

jeeesh. Freaking ridiculous. Just announce it already. Are these state secrets or something? These "leaks" that we have had over the past year don't help matters, very unprofessionall, especially when they don't own up to them.
Old 4th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Universal Audio

August's webzine is up with no mention of UAD-2.
No, but all that going on about the Moog Ladder Filter in "Analog Obsession" makes ya wonder if they have something Moogish up their sleeve for their next plug-in. (They've sometimes used that column to highlight hardware that shortly thereafter shows up as a UAD plug-in.) There's also references to the Capitol Records building's echo chambers in a couple of places in the webzine, which made me a bit curious if they are working on something along those lines.

The Moog thing seems more likely... a UAooger Fooger filter, perhaps?
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
jeeesh. Freaking ridiculous. Just announce it already. Are these state secrets or something? These "leaks" that we have had over the past year don't help matters, very unprofessionall, especially when they don't own up to them.
They have to be professional about it though..
Everything must be right before the announcment..

i wouldnt be surprised if UAD and GC had some sort of a deal to advertise through GC UAD2.

If Guitar Centre had announced this without UADs permission, they would have broken a big contract/partnership deal.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
says it all.

more speculations and more spam weeks here to come.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
says it all.

more speculations and more weeks spam here to come.
Speculations, yes.. But only regarding what UAD2 is.. I think we all know its coming!!

Weeks, yes. It will only be a few weeks until the OFFICIAL announcement - From UAD.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
6stings is our winner! Out of 9437 participants, he won the 4-year-long search for the uncomprehensable, infamous UAD-2!!
Cool, what'd I win? A Waves native plug-in pack? heh Just kidding! A Mac Pro would be sweet so I could even consider one of these babies.

Anyway, this was all just Sunday-night bored-out-of-my-mind web surfing. An exciting find for sure, but I will be happily "plugging" away with my G5 and UAD-1 for a couple more years to come... (gimme an 1176, LA-2A, and Pultec and I'm happy.... for now!)

Now for my own questions/comments regarding the ambiguous titles:

--- Given that the cards are going to be released as multi-processor units, does that mean UA won't support multiple card set-ups anymore? (They've had quite an issue with the lack of load balancing for their latest power plugs across multi-card UAD-1 set-ups.)

--- I'm betting 32, 64, 128 is for the amount of RAM per card. (for review, the UAD-1 has 4 MB. DSP has different needs than general computing. ie: The Playstation 3 is processing monster yet only has 256 for graphics and 256 for it's total system.)

--- I think it's safe to assume these will be PCIe only (no PCI).

Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
You dont think that if a UAD-1 user who owns ALL the plugs and wants to purchase 1 UAD2 card has to purchase ALL the plugs again do you?
Silly boy tutt

Of course not . . . .. you'll get them all FREE, right?
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Of course not . . . .. you'll get them all FREE, right?
No. Because UAD-1 users have already paid for them! (the plugins)

It would be of great disadvantage to UAD to make UAD-1 users pay the many many hundres of dollars, just to purchase the plugs they already have.

If Stienberg released Cubase 5, with a new VST version/architecture. Do you think that would be backwards compatible.. Yes!! or do you think they will make you purchase the plugin versions of your current plugs?

Current UAD plugs WILL work with UAD2.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
. . . . If Stienberg released Cubase 5, with a new VST version/architecture. Do you think that would be backwards compatible.. Yes!! .. ..

And you'd get CuBase5 FREE if you already owned 4, Right ??? (just following your argument . . )
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
And you'd get CuBase5 FREE if you already owned 4, Right ??? (just following your argument . . )
No no. You're not following at all really.

Old 4th August 2008
Here for the gear

Thumbs up a deep breath...

Now, it's lots of fun for us to speculate and chat about what the UAD-2 might be. But unless you have just bought or are about to buy a UAD-1 it won't actually make that much of a difference which minute it's released on. We all love our gear, or else we wouldn't be here but really people, some of us have really gone over the top with flaming etc. One would think the release date of the UAD-2 is the second coming...

On the other hand, it's all very amusing. Forget what I said, as you were.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzed View Post
One would think the release date of the UAD-2 is the second coming...
Apparently Guitar Center are opening thier stores on Midnight of the release date - a la iPhone
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
That makes no sense. Following your argument the card itself would be free.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Guys check this out:

Quote:
Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Sounds it ain't gonna happen in 2/4 weeks.. Maybe AES or winter namm??
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Regardless, UA are going to have to announce something soon. Nobody in their right mind would buy a UAD1 with this "leak". And I would say I wouldn't even buy any plugins until I know what the "upgrade" terms are like. So it would be in UA's best interest and financial stability to announce and release this asap.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Waves -

UAD -
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
No. Because UAD-1 users have already paid for them! (the plugins) . . . . .
Well, really, that was my point. "Current UAD-1 users have already paid for" (UAD-1) "(plugins)"!

Quote:
. . . . .Current UAD plugs WILL work with UAD2.
WOW - now there is some inside info - can you quote your source, please . . . ??

Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
WOW - now there is some inside info - can you quote your source, please . . . ??
You really dont think UAD would be that silly do you? To make all UAD-1 users purchase thier plugins again for use with UAD-2...

heh
Old 4th August 2008
Here for the gear

Dear UAD Fans...

Dear UAD Fans,

Universal Audio
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Boy - I hope the new cards will work with the old ones. I have been saving a PCIe slot for a new card. If I have to unload my old cards, I will be very very sad since the market will be flooded with them and they will be worthless.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search