The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

"Online Availability
Due 2-4 Weeks" - GC

Now I'm hoping they get the UAD-2 into the xpander and I'm a happy camper!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to run my antiquated PCI UAD-1's into the ground before I upgrade.

Brad
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
"Online Availability
Due 2-4 Weeks" - GC

Now I'm hoping they get the UAD-2 into the xpander and I'm a happy camper!
Yeah it's definitely a debate about getting a portable version (if these aren't all portable)...because the problem with the xpander (the Expresscard version for laptops) was it was only one UAD-1. If the UAD-2 quad can do 100 33609's then certainly go ahead and get the laptop-compatible one and put an adapter card in the Mac pro.

I'll bet GC's ship estimate is just a placeholder.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

I will be the first in line to get one or 2 of these things. Finally free up some addressable memory space and get my ram back and of course hopefully be finally rid of load balancing hell!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

I'm interested to see what these configurations are. I got my 4th UAD card this last year and it makes it bearable to work with the "Good Stuff". Though not without inconvenience.

I really hope they'll offer compelling upgrade offers and transfers of licenses.
I wonder if the UAD 1 & 2 can work together or if you need to jump ship completely?

Also, I wonder if you get the UAD-2 is it so much more powerful that it makes little sense to keep the (4) UAD-1's?

Lastly, I wonder how long it will be until we see "UAD-2 ONLY" plugs that the UAD-1 can't handle.

I hope they keep their pricing and coupon/rebate plans in check like they did in the past, it's what made me a loyal customer!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I'm going to run my antiquated PCI UAD-1's into the ground before I upgrade.

Brad
and a good investment. they'll go for way more on the vintage market now.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

It must be April 1st.

Or Dec 25th.

I just saw Hell's fiery lake freeze over. Pigs are flying outside my window.

Guessing here...

Looks like card/box with "solo/duo/quad" processing capability?
Flexi might have some plug vouchers?

Looks like they are carrying on with the nevana theme with a 32, 64, 128. My guess is the Nevana comes with the the neve plugs, and 32/64/128 refers to the number of plug instances (though UAD-1 varied wildly on the number of instances from plug to plug).

Hmmm.

Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad Flexi $1,799.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo Flexi $1,199.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo Flexi $799.00

Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad $1,499.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo $899.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo $499.00

Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 128 $1,999.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 64 $1,499.00
Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 32 $749.00

The only question for me is, should I dump the cards on ebay now (like tonight!) or will UA offer some sort of trade in program???
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Now this is getting interesting.... heh

Anybody find any links to more info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
The only question for me is, should I dump the cards on ebay now (like tonight!) or will UA offer some sort of trade in program???
That is THE question... I agree............
Old 4th August 2008
Well, this is exciting news!

It would seem that the UAD-2 is in fact some sort of PCI card since if you look at Musician's Friend you'll see that the cards are listed in this category:

Home >> Recording >> Computer Hardware >> DSP Farm PCI Card

Of course the PCI card could be just the interface for a rack mount device.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

PRICES FROM MUSICIANS FRIEND....

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 128
Click above for more information.
New Product!
Price: $1,999.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $2,499.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 64
New Product!
Price: $1,499.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $1,899.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Nevana 32
New Product!
Price: $749.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $899.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad Flexi
New Product!
Price: $1,799.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $2,249.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo Flexi
New Product!
Price: $1,199.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $1,499.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo Flexi
New Product!
Price: $799.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $999.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad
New Product!
Price: $1,499.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $1,899.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo
New Product!
Price: $899.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $1,149.00

COMPARE Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo
New Product!
Price: $499.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $649.00
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Attention shoppers!

Clearance on UAD-1 cards in aisle 3...

heh
Brad
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

So is the new basic "UAD-2 Solo" just gonna be as powerful as the PCI that we already have now? I have a feeling that it is.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
So is the new basic "UAD-2 Solo" just gonna be as powerful as the PCI that we already have now? I have a feeling that it is.

I hope not, that would impy that it's just the UAD1 chips tacked on new cards. Please say it is not so.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
Well if the solo version can just run 32 channels of the existing 88rs @ 44.1, that would make it 32/13 = 2.46 times as powerful as UAD-1.

I really, really doubt that will be the power multiplier here. UA has a chance to basically ELIMINATE their competition for another 4 or 5 years, and if they cripple the card in such a way, they will have blown it.

I would expect some sort of clarification tamarra late in the day after numerous managerial meetings and several heated phone calls to GC execs about the leak.

Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

I sense disappointment somewhere on the near horizon...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I sense disappointment somewhere on the near horizon...
UA is competing with native, and they don't want to release a new architecture more than every five years. Five years will bring unbelievable computer CPUs. If they have made these cards underpowered in any way, they are basically toast. I so doubt it. I would be astonished. tutt
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

i wonder why UA is still keeping everything on down low..
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
i wonder why UA is still keeping everything on down low..

cuz they haven't woken up yet.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
UA is competing with native, and they don't want to release a new architecture more than every five years. Five years will bring unbelievable computer CPUs.
I love UAD plugs, I have 2 cards, but your above points are exactly why people such as myself stopped buying additional cards and moved to native solutions.

There's no way I could keep giving these guys $$$ just to add/upgrade dongles, for horsepower my current PC already has.

No doubt the instance counts will probably be a lot better for the existing plugins, but I'm sure we'll be right back where we started as soon as they start releasing new plugins that are 'hogs'.

UAD makes great product, I just don't see this is a viable long term solution for it.

my 2 cents
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
UA is competing with native, and they don't want to release a new architecture more than every five years. Five years will bring unbelievable computer CPUs. If they have made these cards underpowered in any way, they are basically toast. I so doubt it. I would be astonished. tutt
you got it! waves unlimited - as many as you want.....

I predict - they give you both! native and chip based - this allows the external machine or cards to be a dongle - good idea?

anyone think an external firewire version in there?
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gruv View Post

I predict - they give you both! native and chip based - this allows the external machine or cards to be a dongle - good idea?
I'd be surprised if this were the case. It would open a window for hacking while simultaneously self-cannibalizing their hardware sales...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

To balance that point, it is easily possible today to get a DSP card that will, for DSP, outperform the native CPUs of four years from now. If UA has for some reason selected an inferior part to build upon, that is a critical strategic error.

I doubt they have! They don't seem stupid...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
I'd be surprised if this were the case. It would open a window for hacking while simultaneously self-cannibalizing their hardware sales...
really? the software goes to check for the hardware and looks for and verifies xyz chip...

don't see how...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
really? the software goes to check for the hardware and looks for and verifies xyz chip...

don't see how...
yeah...neither do I... but it's been done....

I don't think a UAD card hack has ever been accomplished...

I'm guessing Peeder with his computer tech background knows more on how or why this may or may not be true...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well if the only publically available code for the UAD plugins is written for a custom DSP chip, then you would have to completely re-write the plugins to get it to run native.

If a hacker was that good they'd just go ahead and set up shop as a plugin developer themselves.

But if they release native code that just goes and checks for something before it runs, they can snip off the check (forcing an affirmative result) and go ahead and run it unauthorized.

If they, for instance, have the code encrypted with a key in the dongle, the hacker can "watch" as the code is decrypted and run, and capture that code, spooling it off in the clear, and with some elbow grease, get it to continue running. That's a little harder, and can be made even harder....to a point.

But having the code run only on a given, rare chip would be the supreme copy protection mechanism available. Especially if there was authorization hardware on the chip or card that could not be rewritten around.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
To balance that point, it is easily possible today to get a DSP card that will, for DSP, outperform the native CPUs of four years from now. If UA has for some reason selected an inferior part to build upon, that is a critical strategic error.

I doubt they have! They don't seem stupid...
Very Very true! High end video cards can easily... @ certain tasks... like DSP!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cool stuff. Although I'm quite happy with my Xpander. I wonder if new Xpanders will be released as well. I basically only use the 88RS and the Precision stuff, and with some freezing I'm okay. But very exciting!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

I have 3 x UAD-1 and have recently dumped them in favor of native plugs. I don't really miss them, but they are good plugs. The key for me, however, will be that the new cards/drivers HAVE to work well with multi-core CPUs, and not just in Cubase.

I'm using Reaper, and anything else will go before I give up that. Justin has really gone out of His [sic] way to try to accomodate UAD-cards even though it's their drivers that are poorly written (he has even offered UA to fix this for them, but they were not interested). So if I'm going to use my many UAD-plugs again on new hardware, it HAS to play nice with multiple cores!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

anyone think an external firewire version in there?
Nope. They've pretty much confirmed firewire is not part of their plan - not enough bandwidth
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

now its finally coming out what we have all been crying for and you are already complaining! wow! killyourself! i dont care if it leaves a scent of dog poop when it heats up.. all i wanted was more power! and we got it. stikeAHH!!!!!!!stike
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search