The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

UAD-2 coming soon (MF lets cat outta bag)

UAD-2 solo $500
UAD-2 duo $900
UAD-2 quad $1500

2-4 weeks.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Hmmmm... Have a look on Universal Audio | News & Press | Front Page News!

Interesting new banner on there:

Definately looks promising!!
Not seeing it myself...

But i do see the GC listings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

wonder what the "power" difference between all of these are. how many neve eq's can u run on each?, etc.

UAD-2 solo $500
UAD-2 duo $900
UAD-2 quad $1500
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
UAD-2 solo $500
UAD-2 duo $900
UAD-2 quad $1500

2-4 weeks.
UAD-2 dual quad $2289
UAD-2 quad quad $3498
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
wonder what the "power" difference between all of these are. how many neve eq's can u run on each?, etc.

UAD-2 solo $500
UAD-2 duo $900
UAD-2 quad $1500
I guess they have made the thing with different core counts so they can continue to scale their pricing. I wonder if the architecture is still unpartitioned even with quad cores.

Next question: trade-in credits????

Please????
Old 4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Here's something:

UAD-2 Nevana comes in 32, 64, and 128 versions.

I am suspecting this is something to do with channel counts. I.e. the Nevana 128 offers 128 simultaneous channels...

...But of what? 33609's? Just the Neve 88rs channel strip? If it's just the channel strip, and the sonic results of that channel strip are identical to the UAD-1 version, then this card is totally anemic beyond belief. The UAD-1 runs 13 88rs mono channels at 44.1 already...the top card would only have a 10x power multiplier.

One would hope it's 33609's...that would be more in line with Moore's law (~100x over 10 years).
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

hope they didnt just put more uad-1 chips on a new card and call it uad-2.

i doubt it- they took way too long and the technology available is way too advanced for that
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

So where are all the skeptics now? lol heh

I really hope it's not just a card with 4 UAD1s on it.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

My banner was actually just a joke!!

But the listing on GC is REAL!!! Or is someone taking the dfegad on a larger scale?? Ha

Can't believe that there's nothing on the UA webpage yet
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Very exciting stuff, cann't wait to find out what the different versions are
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post

i was a skeptic and i'm here. People been saying UAD-2 for 5 years. Kind of easy to be skeptical.

where's the Fatso plug-in???
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post

Ha ha ha so do I.

God I hope it's a new chip and not just a rehash of the fossil.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

F-i-n-a-l-l-y
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Ha ha ha so do I.

God I hope it's a new chip and not just a rehash of the fossil.
well at least hope they fixed the load balancing crap.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

One would hope it's 33609's...that would be more in line with Moore's law (~100x over 10 years).

While from a pure DSP horsepower thinking, yeah...that'd be cool.

But a mix with 33609s on every channel would sound...

Oh god, I don't even want to think about it. And thats one of my favorite compressors.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

this is what i have been waiting for. couldn't justify buying the old system.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

tbh I wouldn't mind having four of the old chips on 1 card. My biggest problem always was that I never had enough PCI(e) slots for a multicard setup but this would solve the problem. And having the power of 4 of the old cards would be enough for me.

Anyway, let's just wait and see....
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

yahoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

... now let's all get mad at UAD for not giving us upgrade options that meet our every demand!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear
"I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky"

Come on UA, give me something to hassle my wife about!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

They really oughtta have a sweetheart introductory upgrade deal to get a lot of product out into the hands of the long-suffering so they can prove the new system and talk it up.

I'm in for a quad anyway (and maybe quad flexi depending) but if i get a sweetheart deal I won't kvetch anywhere nears as much as if I have to pay full retail and the thing still has tons of bhugs.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Hopefully they will have some kind of voucher trade-in deal with our old UAD1's like they did with the UAD1 express card. And it will be interesting to see if the new cards can co-exist with the old card.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

they did it right when i said i was gonna kill myself! they dont want me to die!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I guess I'll bump my prediction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
This was my prediction from June 25th.

They are and have been dumping the PCI & PCIe cards for 6 months.
-Flexi pack is $500 & comes with $500 in vouchers (Free card)
-Expert Pack is $750 & comes with $750 in vouchers (Free card)
-$150 Promo Voucher for buying a new card
-$250 Promo voucher for cross grading to expert pack (multiple cross grade tiers)
- This months sizzling sale (to get people to spend those vouchers from the influx of buying)

I believe this months sizzling sale is a result of the successful objective by UA to deplete stock of UAD-1 PCI & PCIe. They want those vouchers spent for two reasons.
1. New Plugins are coming out, and they want NEW cash coming in to make up for lost profits. They are currently giving away free cards, they may not be at a loss, but
certainly are not at a profit. Some people may not have vouchers left, but see the DEEP discounts as a MUST purchase.
2. The sizzling deals are DEEP discounts and many have blown their vouchers. I personally have 1 UAD-1 PCI card. I do plan to get another (for more power) and more plugins, but
why spend cash when I get get a free card & free cash. I want to get the PCIe expert pack so I get a total of $1050 in vouchers for the price of $750. This will help deplete
their stock even more.

I believe that they will extend the New card & cross grade promo's for another 3 months or so and possibly release the FATSO and another plugin in July/August. They will then go on to announce UAD-2 in all it glory in October in their home state @ the

125th AES Convention
Moscone Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

I believe that UAD-2 with be PCI & PCIe based as it is the fastest most direct path to the computer. It will be in a 1u 19"rack unit and come in many configurations. This is my prediction. You heard it here FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, they did extend the Promo's as I suspected. I think they may just hold out on the Fatso for UAD-2 because it may not be able to run on single UAD-1 card. We'll see. Also VST3 may be a possibility for UAD-2
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

I hope there are some new plugs coming out with it. Otherwise, dropping that kind of cash to have more of the same just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. With 2 cards, I can get as much of a UAD sound as I care to on a given project.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

(Just getting a laugh in at all the people who have decided to permanently ignore this thread after 19 pages of speculation... heh heh heh)

(I guess they will be struggling for a while... )
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

This Thread is gonna explode...maybe 20 pages overnight!

I dfegadin the mouths of the nay-sayers.
Old 4th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
tbh I wouldn't mind having four of the old chips on 1 card. My biggest problem always was that I never had enough PCI(e) slots for a multicard setup but this would solve the problem. And having the power of 4 of the old cards would be enough for me.

Anyway, let's just wait and see....
I'd be very concerned about the amount of heat it would generate to have 4 of the current chips on one card.

I doubt that is the case, anyway, if the Neve pack names are anything to go off of. The "Nevana 32" appears to be a "UAD-2 solo" with included Neve plug-ins. If the "32" in the name suggests that this card can run 32 channels of one of the Neve plug-ins, that would make the solo card at a minimum twice as powerful as the UAD-1. (Because the UAD-1 can only run 18 instances of the Neve 1081 SE (the least processor-intensive Neve plug-in) and 13 instances of the Neve 88RS (my guess at the plug-in that would be referred to if such a naming scheme is accurate). FWIW the 88RS is $299 and the Nevana 32 is $250 more than the UAD-2 solo.

If all that pans out then the only way a UAD-2 solo would use the old chips would be if there are at least 2 of the old chips on the "solo" card (and eight on the quad!) which seems highly unlikely.

By the way I don't see anything at the Guitar Center or MF site to confirm that these are PCI or PCI-e cards, even though that seems a reasonable assumption.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

f**k yeah!! Now let's hope that it'll be compatible with the mac pro octacoreheh
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

i hope for the price and by the name you can run 128 instances on the Nevana 128
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search