The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Maybe they're aiming higher than just being the best plugin vendor.
That and more already...

Really though if they simply developed a new dsp that could handle a bigger crunch load, that'd be plenty.

I mean really how many different kinds of plug-ins do you need anyway?

I use the waves SSL and UAD, beyond that you just get redundant.

What I really need is a "productivity plug-in"...ya know something that gets me off my ass and makes more with less.

I know guys that have a garage full of everything in the Craftsman catalog that couldn't build a birdhouse if thier lives depended on it, and like wise I know a fella or two using old Rockwell/Delta power tools that make art every time they cut a stud...

Still...its hard to ignore the "sexy" of having the latest greatest...

Who needs savings anyway...
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I actually disagree with this almost completely.

Aside from compatibility issues, the UAD-1 is still a totally viable production tool. It still sounds great, it's still "best of breed" as far as native plug-ins go. It is perhaps more appropriate to think of a UAD-1 purchase as a purchase of a bunch of fantastic plug-ins, rather than as a hardware processor. It really is a card-as-dongle situation.

Frankly, many of these arguments are basically the same as the old, stale anti-Pro Tools arguments. Sadly for UA, much of their customer base is extremely fond of that way of thinking.

The workarounds are still justifiable if there is still a significant edge in overall quality and/or value, and many would say that there is. That's why we're even having this discussion, rather than just retiring UAD-1 to the dustbin of old digital audio technology.

But yeah ... the issue here isn't that the tools are for some reason not as good as they used to be ... it's that the market has changed, other companies have caught up and in some cases sprinted past. Forget desktops, think about how much faster laptops are than they were eight years ago — it wasn't really viable then to do "heavy" pro audio work on a laptop, and it certainly is now. That's a major shift in the market, and UA has only weakly responded to it.

But the really sad thing is, there have been multiple generations of improvement in DSP chips, and UA is not capitalizing on that at all. They could have come out with a truly dominant product by now, just by using DSP technology that is only as good as the competition and no better — because they still basically have the best plug-ins. All they need to do is have equivalent DSP capacity, and they'd automatically have the best product.

And yet they apparently can't do that.

JSL
Looking at it from another perspective... I appreciate UAD's philosophy of waiting till its products are just right, but they need to come out aggressively. Given the relatively recent jump in progress in the native world UAD needs next gen software to show new users why they would want a PCIe dongle to go with their ridiculously powerful machines. UAD could be poised with UAD-2 to unquestionably dominate their market. If this is what they are banking on, the Apple model being such an influence in business right now, that could be the cause for their patience and playing it close to the chest.

From a business perspective, I would think the consumer base needs to see a card with at least 4 times the capacity of UAD-1 at October's AES. Additionally, the FATSO plug really needs to impress.
At the rate things are going, native plugs could be serious competition for the current UAD plugs as soon as developers can maximize the core processor potential.

My prediction: a more powerful card in October, and more importantly, "next gen coded" UAD plugs with an edge over the current plug codes. The more powerful cards will be less for using more plugs and more for using more powerful plugs (as in utilizing the "non-linearity magic" behind the Neve line and such).
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Very good point.
IMO, UA has done great work with their software, but in the age of 8 core machines that can crunch over 100 midi tracks, plugs, and verbs, there is just no sense in defending a piece of hardware that uses 20% of its resources for one verb (Plate), compressor (1176) or a 1073 plug, or 50% for a compressor (Neve), etc. Useable is not a defense in the tech world when the rest of the world is blowing by you.
UAD cannot share the same philosophy as their analog department.
"If it ain't broke..." (and it almost is) "...don't fix it." doesn't fly in the tech market.

There were plenty of people making records on G4s... why support dual quad core? Why upgrade a product when users can freeze tracks and reload plugs to balance the power consumption? Firstly, those workarounds are inexcusable now given current technology, secondly, because businesses dealing in tech have to keep on the cutting edge if their product in question is going to continue to be a sensible solution and the company is going to remain competitive in the tech marketplace.

The UAD-1 card just isn't a good investment from a tech/business perspective. It can certainly please the existing users or new users. UAD-1 has had an incredible run, but every product has a life cycle, and the UAD-1 card doesn't have much time left.

my 2¢
Love your reasoning. Very eloquently explaining the issues about why the UAD card (not the plugins) is as for as I'm concerned is a fossil.

But as I always say, watch out for the UAD fanboys showing up on your doorstep with burning torches.

As I mentioned before, I have been using Macs since the Quadra days, but I bought a PC laptop because there was no way I was going to buy an outdated G4 laptop which was several generation behind the Mac desktops and PC at the time.

Was the G4 a useable chip? Yes. Was the G4 Powerbook "usable"? Yes. Would I have a to resort to workarounds with the G4 Powerbook that would not be needed on a G5 or a PC? Yes!!

Was the G4 CPU outdated and outclassed at that point in time? Yes.

So it is with the UAD1. A legacy 10 year old GPU that was issued in the G3 era of computing.

To refresh your memories:

in 1999 these were cutting edge processors:

Intel Celeron processor at 433 MHz and the 600MHz Pentium III.

The first G4 CPu was introduced with the most powerful one running at 500 MHz.

The last version of the G3 ran at 600 MHz and was phased out in favour of the G4.

So who wants to go back to using these chips along with their 10 year old UAD?
Old 31st July 2008
Gear Addict

i saw a video with some old engineer that had to work with 8 tracks.. imagine that. why not stem some tracks? and if that still isnt working for you buy another card.. and another one.. and another one.

but if they did release a uad2 i would buy 1 as well.. just incase u people at uad are looking at this heh
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe they're aiming higher than just being the best plugin vendor.
Right. Maybe they are building a rocket ship!

JSL
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
550 posts about something that doesn't exist. Crazy.
The only crazy thing about this is the fact that the posters of about 449 posts seem to think it didn´t exist!
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

can we please close this thread. or move it away from the new product alert?
it's ridicilus....
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
it's ridicilus....
Has it been waking you up in the middle of the night?
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOLheh
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's ridicilus....
I tried that, but resistance is useless. : )
Attached Thumbnails
UAD2 is a PCIE card-h2g2vogon.jpg  
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's ridicilus....
I've been saying it for 10 pages or more ... there should be a Vaporware sub-forum under the New Product Alert.

JSL
Old 1st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I've been saying it for 10 pages or more ... there should be a Vaporware sub-forum under the New Product Alert.
And each time you say it, this glorious thread rises to the tippy-top!
Old 1st August 2008
Gear Addict

This should shouldnt be deleted.

It should be a sticky!
Old 2nd August 2008
t_d
Lives for gear

why do i keep checking back on this thread?
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
me too. this thread is ridiculous yet i cannot resist peeking in to see if there is an actual update to the release of a uad2.
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Nut

If I was actually working on building UAD2, I'd be coming back to this thread every day, thinking, "Oh yes! Look at them drool! I'm gonna make billions!"

...Actually, it *would* be cool to be working on *anything* that many are speculating on and excited about.
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
because we're gear addicts? !
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Nut

My guess is that UA will put out a software emulation of the classic Moog ladder filter soon. There is an article about the filter in the latest edition of their webzine. Often a good sign of what to come.

I'd love that as an UA release!

D.
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
no. but it makes people read 20pages full of speculations and wishfull thinking, just to realize that there is no real information here....none at all.
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
no. but it makes people read 20pages full of speculations and wishfull thinking, just to realize that there is no real information here....none at all.
Isn't the goal to kill time while running vocal up/down/tv?
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

Bumpheh
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's like a book... if you want to know what (if anything) has happened, just read the ending. ; )
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's ridicilus....
Your spelling of the word ridiculous... now that's ridiculous! heh
Old 3rd August 2008
Gear Addict

if UAD 2 doesnt come out in 1 week im going to kill myself!!!
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManBand View Post
if UAD 2 doesnt come out in 1 week im going to kill myself!!!

+1

They must come now....
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

dfegad on all this baseless speculation. Here's some real inside info:

My cousin knows this guy who's sister used to room with this gilrl who used to be on a softball team with the receptionist at UA and she says that she's not certain, but she's pretty sure that she's heard people at work talking about "working on the UAD-2", although she also said that it could have been "working on the UAD too." Anyway, I asked my cousin to get the guy to talk to his sister so she'll get in touch with her old room mate so she can ask the receptionist for more info and I'll post when I get it!!!

If the UAD-2 comes out in the meantime, would somebody please pm me so I don't end up looking stupid...
Old 4th August 2008
Greetings,

for those who are still looking for some excitement in this thread, jump over to GC's website and check out the UA products...

Universal Audio at Guitar Center.

disclaimer: I do not work for GC or UA and take no responsibility for ruining the fun of waiting for UAD2

Last edited by AjanovicH; 4th August 2008 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjanovicH View Post
Greetings,

for those who are still looking for some excitment in this thread, jump over to GC's website and check out the UA products...

disclaimer: I do not work for GC, nor UA and take no responsibility for ruining the fun of waiting for UAD2
oh snap!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjanovicH View Post
Greetings,

for those who are still looking for some excitment in this thread, jump over to GC's website and check out the UA products...

disclaimer: I do not work for GC, nor UA and take no responsibility for ruining the fun of waiting for UAD2
THAT's news ! Thanx. And they are on Musiciansfriend.com too...
Available in 2-4 weeks on both sites.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hmmmm... Have a look on Universal Audio | News & Press | Front Page News!

Interesting new banner on there:

Definately looks promising!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search