The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
One thread about all this was already deleted. And remember the threads deletions about the Euphonix controller leak. Gearslutz doesn't work for these companies but these companies pay for advertising on Gearsluts and thus it is in there best interest to comply to non-disclosure I would imagine.

I really don't see the issue with this though. It was leaked by NAMM themselves right? There's threads everywhere about this already, even Chris Milnes UAD forums. No hurt in having it here to.

i wonder how much power the UAD2 will have / plug load capacities per card and how many cards max per system
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
i wonder how much power the UAD2 will have / plug load capacities per card and how many cards max per system
Well, just speculating, but I hope it has at least 4 times the power of the UAD1, hopefully way more. That would only make sense. I am so itching to ditch these pci cards that eat up so much addressable memory space.
Old 2nd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Well, just speculating, but I hope it has at least 4 times the power of the UAD1, hopefully way more. That would only make sense. I am so itching to ditch these pci cards that eat up so much addressable memory space.
yep - me too.

BTW - I just called UA - Dave said "I'm sorry but we can't answer any questions or respond to inquiries until after an official product announcement has been made."

I responded "so we have to wait til Namm"

he repeated his response

Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Guru

sounds like it's true then. :-)
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Nut

This was posted at the UAD forums, don't know the source or if it's true or not, but hey what's one more log in the rumor mill:

"Dear UAD Users,

We would like to clear up speculation and mis-information by making a formal statement from both UA & EL clearing up the following points.

1) UA & EL have signed a Trademark Licensing Agreement.

2) There will be plug-in partnership announcement at NAMM 2008 confirming that the EL Fatso will be a forthcoming plug-in for UAD-1.(ONE)

3) The expected ship date for the UAD EL Fatso plug-in will not however be until late 2008.

Apologies for any confusion and we wish you all a Happy 2008 in your music making!

Best,

Mike Barnes

VP Of Marketing
Recording Academy, ASCAP, NARAS Member
Analog Ears | Digital Minds"
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Maniac

That just sucks!

He didn´t deny the UAD2 though... maybe there is hope.

I´d rather have more power than another plugin, be it the Distressor or Fatso or whatever.
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Guru

For their sake there better be a UAD2 announcement at NAMM. ;-)
Old 2nd January 2008
typo in the NAMM supplement

Sorry for the confusion my typo in the NAMM supplement caused, but here’s the straight story:

2) There will be plug-in partnership announcement at NAMM 2008 confirming that the EL Fatso will be a forthcoming plug-in for UAD-1.

3) The expected ship date for the UAD-1 EL Fatso plug-in will be late 2008.

When I realized what happened, I asked Jules to pull the thread, which may have only fanned the flames. Again, sorry for any confusion this has caused.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Well at least my prognostication posting has been spread around enough places that I can read it back myself and see how far off I was!

(I don't think this was a typo btw. UA has to release a new enabling technology this year. Note that they are in business to sell plugins, not DSP hardware: the enabling technology right now is hamstringing both development, sales, and use of those plugins. I think they waited this long to debug the Firewire bus issues.)
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Well at least my prognostication posting has been spread around enough places that I can read it back myself and see how far off I was!

(I don't think this was a typo btw. UA has to release a new enabling technology this year. Note that they are in business to sell plugins, not DSP hardware: the enabling technology right now is hamstringing both development, sales, and use of those plugins. I think they waited this long to debug the Firewire bus issues.)
thumbsup
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

I hope the UAD2 is soon and a knockout, otherwise I'll just emulate their emulations with Nebula3, stick the thing in an old box and use DSP bridge. It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a UAD (profit) Xpander for my laptop when I could get a barebones Quadcore CUDA ready barebones system for less money.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I hope UA doesn't think that people are going to stop buying the UAD-1 card because they read this. People aren't going to buy the UAD-1 because its old as **** and no one needs extra processing power on the card anymore for plugs. I would have bought a UAD-2 card like two years ago (when it SHOULD of come out) and may still just for ****s and giggles.... But there's no way in hell I'd buy a product based on a video card from like 6 years ago!!!
Anyone that does is what I'd call a grade a sucker.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

UAD-2 hmm....

Now I am interested, who would have thought it eh?

T'would be great if it were in a hardware chasis similar to Duende. If the card is good and powerful, looks like I will finally be getting on board the UAD Wagon.

Let's see.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Guru

I agree. UAD2 is in order. PLugs are outgrowing the card. Poor load balancing. Cards can cause IRQ conflicts especially with the more cards you have. Cards take up addressable memory space (1 gig with 4 cards here!), etc. I have already boycotted anymore newly released plugins out of principle (last thing I "bought" was Neve 88RS and that was totally with vouchers). I have since been letting "vouchers" slide buy unused. And if they don't do something soon I am gradually weaning myself off the platform. A lot of great alternatives nowadays and plenty of horsepower and no need to stay on a limiting stagnant platform.
Old 3rd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
Sorry for the confusion my typo in the NAMM supplement caused, but here’s the straight story:

2) There will be plug-in partnership announcement at NAMM 2008 confirming that the EL Fatso will be a forthcoming plug-in for UAD-1.

3) The expected ship date for the UAD-1 EL Fatso plug-in will be late 2008.

When I realized what happened, I asked Jules to pull the thread, which may have only fanned the flames. Again, sorry for any confusion this has caused.
Thanks for your presence here...and for the clarification (although dissapointing)

Any chance EL might do a Distressor plug in for UAD???????

Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I want to ask if there will be a distressor in the 500 format and was the deressor just a typo? but didn't want to hijack the thread too much :-)
rsp
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I think "Derressor" is a play on Dave Derr, the creator of the Distressor. And I think that's going to be the name of their 500-series Distressor version.

Maybe they'll have a 500-series EQ called the "Derr-E-air"?

And yes you can all but bank on them having Distressor and LilFreq UAD plugins.

BTW it may be that only an SE version of the Fatso can fit on a UAD-1 card, at least in stereo. The designers must be feeling the heat at some point, or getting annoyed that they have to compromise the models just to fit it on that 90's era DSP chip.

With the greatest luck they may go back and revise many of the older plugins for the new platform, taking out all those compromises now they have room to work.
Old 3rd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
I want to ask if there will be a distressor in the 500 format and was the deressor just a typo? but didn't want to hijack the thread too much :-)
rsp
heh - deres

makes me think of Tron when the guy gets deressed -
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

And yes you can all but bank on them having Distressor and LilFreq UAD plugins.

BTW it may be that only an SE version of the Fatso can fit on a UAD-1 card, at least in stereo. The designers must be feeling the heat at some point, or getting annoyed that they have to compromise the models just to fit it on that 90's era DSP chip.

With the greatest luck they may go back and revise many of the older plugins for the new platform, taking out all those compromises now they have room to work.
I for one have been begging for a UAD2 for years even more so now that my two give problems in my mobo and that I haven't bought any of the newer stuff like the neves and helios etc cause my two are already almost maxed up with what I already find them useful for......
rsp
Old 3rd January 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I think "Derressor" is a play on Dave Derr, the creator of the Distressor. And I think that's going to be the name of their 500-series Distressor version.

My understanding is that it's a de-esser, and not a 500 series version of the Distressor. But I could be wrong...
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
I hope UA doesn't think that people are going to stop buying the UAD-1 card because they read this. People aren't going to buy the UAD-1 because its old as **** and no one needs extra processing power on the card anymore for plugs. I would have bought a UAD-2 card like two years ago (when it SHOULD of come out) and may still just for ****s and giggles.... But there's no way in hell I'd buy a product based on a video card from like 6 years ago!!!
Anyone that does is what I'd call a grade a sucker.

I was going to buy a UAD1 for my MBP. Now, I think I am waiting.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I was going to buy a UAD1 for my MBP. Now, I think I am waiting.
You're making GilWave feel worse. This is precisely why they don't want leaks.

But chances are good it's more or less a wash if you buy one now or not. You'll get plugin vouchers for buying one and you will probably get some credit for it if you upgrade to the UAD2. Meanwhile you're suffering without these plugs!

Again I think they sell plugins, and the cards/chassis are just enabling technologies. You most likely will in effect only end up paying for plugins regardless what and when you buy hardware-wise. And the plugin prices are very low for what you get.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I'm glad I've held off for over a year on another UAD Card. If UAD2 has serious power, I'm in, if not, Im sticking with one card.

On a fun note. When the UAD Fatso gets released, people will start threads on how it compares to the hardware and we will hear how its amazing, but "not quite there" as far as the hardware. Blah blah.... There are your reviews before a plugin even exsists....

I think the companies put themselves in a funny position when they offer hardware and software of the same thing.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

well I think it is always a bad practice to buy gear just before NAMM. A lot of stuff I wanted as XMAS presents I held off until to see what is coming for NAMM. So hopefully GIl doesn't feel too badly about it...........it is time UAD come out with UAD-2.... typo or no typo.
rsp
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

If a new, more powerful UAD will be released at this January's NAMM, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that UA released the Xpander's so close to a product revision. I bought one, and I'm glad, but it seems that the demand for a more powerful card should have preceeded the importance of product development for a portable solution...oh yeah IMHO
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
If a new, more powerful UAD will be released at this January's NAMM, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that UA released the Xpander's so close to a product revision. I bought one, and I'm glad, but it seems that the demand for a more powerful card should have preceeded the importance of product development for a portable solution...oh yeah IMHO
You will have to be annoyed then. A bunch of us here have been trying to tell everyone not to buy anything until an update was announced. We were called UAD basher's and we should start our own moan thread.

I've been annoyed for 3 years now waiting for this..........Thank the Lord. I can start supporting this company again. I will be first in line to purchase the first UAD2 card or whatever it ends up being.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
But there's no way in hell I'd buy a product based on a video card from like 6 years ago!!!
Correction, 11 years would be more accurate. Perhaps they are waiting until the DSP chip itself classifies as "vintage"?

- "Sure these 3D holographic replicas are great, but compared to the UAD-1 they're missing that warm frustration and don't have the same Mpact"

Aside from its use as a DSP card, the UAD-1 card has been the most successful dongle ever. Stealing UA plugins is about as easy as stealing the original hardware. If they can maintain those interests (crucial to OEM participation in emulations), but enter the 21st century, no one loses. Look what they can do with an ancient MPACT2, imagine what they could do with the power of a *modified CUDA SLI 8800!

*I say modified because a proprietary DSP card is the only way UA could maintain anything close to their current margin on abandonware, junkyard DSP chips. As I see it, the future of non-PT DSP acceleration belongs to CUDA and its ilk. If UAD adapts to this reality and allows its platform to scale at the same rate as the multibillion dollar GPU gamer market, they will remain kings of the kill. On the other hand, if the future of the UAD resides in DSP dumpster diving I suspect a swift obsolescence...

Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBER View Post
You will have to be annoyed then. A bunch of us here have been trying to tell everyone not to buy anything until an update was announced. We were called UAD basher's and we should start our own moan thread.

I've been annoyed for 3 years now waiting for this..........Thank the Lord. I can start supporting this company again. I will be first in line to purchase the first UAD2 card or whatever it ends up being.
I'm in the exact same boat.. I want to buy all their plugs, but refuse to support such an ancient DSP system.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

...Oh and by the way...this seems interesting from the UAD forum:

Quote:
Did anyone noticed that there are no January promotions?
even Webzine is still on december.
maybe 2007 was so good for UA they dont wanna move on

UA announced that the next webzine will be released when NAMM starts later this month.
Hmmmmm..... HMMMMMM...
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

just bought the LA-3A with my voucher.....this thing rocks.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search