The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Question Uad 2 Ähhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This topic started at 2nd January more as 6 months ago and there is still no UAD 2.
So where is it????

I guess if you like to have more power you have to buy more UAD 1 cards because there is no UAD 2 card.....
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
This topic started at 2nd January more as 6 months ago and there is still no UAD 2.
So where is it????

I guess if you like to have more power you have to buy more UAD 1 cards because there is no UAD 2 card.....
Which is exactly what I did and bought a card and got almost $1,200 worth of plugin vouchers, no complaints here
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Mo. It won't work. Early versions of the software WOULD run using that card, but they don't anymore.
This card says that its not a vga card; I thought all the others that were tried before were vga cards, and so could only put one in a system. Ad even says 2 or 4 can be put in a system, just like uad-1.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
This card says that its not a vga card; I thought all the others that were tried before were vga cards, and so could only put one in a system. Ad even says 2 or 4 can be put in a system, just like uad-1.
If you look, you will see connectors on the card.
If it's not an official UAD card, the software will recognize it as such, and won't work.

Trust me, I researched this a few years ago.
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
If you look, you will see connectors on the card. If it's not an official UAD card, the software will recognize it as such, and won't work. Trust me, I researched this a few years ago.
Well, the seller says that these cards have never been forsale outside of a custome system. Sounds like he knows a lot about the mpact2 technology. BTW, they guy is selling new memory chips too on his ebay; sounds like he was involved in making the cards too. I wonder if he could make a card with 2 or 4 cpu chips on it? I've got a bud who lives in Dallas, going to see if he can get with the seller to 'try out a card', just to see if the latest drivers will work with the card; seller said he would'nt mind. I'll have him ask about the 2 or 4 cpu card. If ua won't make a uad2, lets make our own! !!

Last edited by Rocktober; 15th July 2008 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: ask
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have been using UAD plugs for years, and I have to say, I really don't use them much anymore. Honestly, I prefer the Waves Studio Collection compressors to the UAD, and the V series EQ's are so close to make it negligible. For anyone running out of power on UAD cards, try some substitues. Then the bantering on about a UAD2 card will subside and everyone can spend more time working/mixing/recording, and to good result.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Head

Admins,

Please lock or delete this thread. Thanks!
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

I agree. I'm always so excited when I see another post in this UAD-2 section. Always thinking it's here. So please no more posts until it's really NEW PRODUCT!!!
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Why should I contribute to this forum only to have my posts deleted? fuuck

They can move this to "Music Computers" or something if they like, sure.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Guy on ebay has a card that looks a lot like a uad-1 or a clone.
link:MPACT2 PCI digital Multi-Card - eBay (item 250270057832 end time Jul-19-08 21:50:43 PDT)
has anyone tried one yet? If it works, $149 would be a deal!
Quote:
Mo. It won't work. Early versions of the software WOULD run using that card, but they don't anymore.

Holy cow! It works!!! My buddy loaded it into his old P4/uad system, and it found the card as a UAD1 ! ! WinXP and 4.10. The basic plugs worked, others said 'not registered'. I'm gonna check it out this weekend.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotso View Post
Admins,

Please lock or delete this thread. Thanks!
And you are??

tutt
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Holy cow! It works!!! My buddy loaded it into his old P4/uad system, and it found the card as a UAD1 ! ! WinXP and 4.10. The basic plugs worked, others said 'not registered'. I'm gonna check it out this weekend.

Well, that's cool.
I'd get one, but I already have 4 of the originals
Old 15th July 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are you 100% positive? Please anyone else confirm this?

Cheers!
RB
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celulazul View Post
Are you 100% positive? Please anyone else confirm this?

Cheers!
RB

Well, let's wait and see if the other plug-ins work as well.
I read a few years back where guys had been using these cards, and after a certain
version, it wouldn't work.

So, report back.
Old 17th July 2008
Gear Head

Ok, my card just arrived; will give it a go tonight!
Old 17th July 2008
Lives for gear

didn't you hear? there isn't any uad2!

it's going to be ilok based and out at aes!

that's what i'd do - anyhow - what they will do is another matter
Old 17th July 2008
Gear Addict

Thumbs down

f%ck it. i keep checking this thread hoping for some good news....
now its turned into some nonsense thats got nothing to do with UAD-2.

i'm gonna go ahead and say it:

theres no UAD2...it aint comin', we're all like those people waiting on some desert or mountain top...looking up at the sky for their spaceship and saviors to "deliver" them to their new "home planet".

%^%@ THIS SH$(*

dfegad UAD2

Durv

P.S. What is that thing? a monkey? or a squirrel?? WTF? Did i just watch it do a "dick shake"???!!!
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

a sun that never sets...
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
a sun that never sets...
I dunno...

Despite it's limitations, I love my UAD-1, and I have now decided that the longer we have to wait for the 2, the longer I can keep my $.
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv View Post
Did i just watch it do a "dick shake"???!!!
Yeah, how about that!

Stupid-ass little monkey still makes me grin when he does the shake-thang. I showed it to my wife and she giggled for about an hour.

We've come a long ways from the little smiley face emoticon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv View Post
i'm gonna go ahead and say it:

theres no UAD2...it aint comin', we're all like those people waiting on some desert or mountain top...looking up at the sky for their spaceship and saviors to "deliver" them to their new "home planet".

%^%@ THIS SH$(*
It took #461 posts for you to get to this conclusion? Man, I bow to your optimistic spirit. I thought I was a "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" person, but I grew cynical on this one around post #14.

Laser
Old 18th July 2008
Gear Nut

What a terrible, terrible thread

Has it devolved into strings of non sequiturs yet?
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual0568 View Post
What a terrible, terrible thread

Has it devolved into strings of non sequiturs yet?
Amazingly, for the most part... it has stayed on (the mythical) topic!
dfegad
(the monkey is for fun)
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Can you imagine how embarassed I'd be if there was no UAD-2 on its way?
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Can you imagine how embarassed I'd be if there was no UAD-2 on its way?
that's what i'm sayin

back in about 2004 or so i was posting about the uad2 coming to the next namm show... not to be

i saw that - waiting for this - was not worth it - and moved onto sony - waves - URS and others...
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

I'm gonna put my ass on the line and state that the UAD-2 will be announced within six months.
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I'm gonna put my ass on the line and state that the UAD-2 will be announced within six months.
I so confident about this that I'll bet one of Peeders high end compressors that yes Viginia there will be a UAD2 sometime soon heh
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

I sincerely do not get the thought process that says. 'Since there is no UAD2 yet, the UAD-1 stuff is not usable...'

While some people have been bitching for over 4 years, I've been putting out solid mixes with my 4 UAD-1 cards and I've never once...not 1 single time run out of DSP. And, whats more, when I compare the UAD plugs to Waves, URS, Sonnox, etc (which I've done very, very, VERY extensively) I always prefer them for a lot of reasons. Also, the variety available with their suite of plugs is rivaled (potentially beaten) only by Waves, whose stuff is way overpriced (IMO) and doesn't sound as good (also IMO). I'm not dumb enough to think that my mixing style is the only way there is to mix. Some folks might, indeed want to use more than the cards will handle or be unwilling to get an expansion chassis, etc. But, that doesn't mean that the UAD-1 stuff sucks or is incapable. Everything has its limitations that must be understood and accounted for. To me, their edge in quality is worth the limitations. Mixing is a game of inches!

So, bottom line = I've 'embraced' the UAD-1 system and been rewarded with great performance and sound for many years. UAD-1 might be cool, but unless there are plugs that only run on the second generation platform, or are SO DSP intensive as to actually tax my 4 cards, I'll be hard pressed to find a reason to switch in the near term. Only my deep, deep slutty-ness will most likely prevail and I WILL upgrade...but only because I am weak!
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
I sincerely do not get the thought process that says. 'Since there is no UAD2 yet, the UAD-1 stuff is not usable...'
Personally speaking, the thing that puts me off is that the people who seem most satisfied with UAD-1 (such as yourself) tend to be running 3 or 4 cards.

I can't grab a demo and see if the UA plugs represent value for money on my system (in terms of number of instances I can run / personal opinion on their sound qualities). All I can go on is reports online, which usually fall into 2 categories:

Type A: "I have one UAD card and I can't run as many of their plugs as I'd like"
Type B: "What's the problem? Just buy 4!"

I realise that online opinions aren't gospel, but there is certainly a trend / pattern.
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Personally speaking, the thing that puts me off is that the people who seem most satisfied with UAD-1 (such as yourself) tend to be running 3 or 4 cards.

I can't grab a demo and see if the UA plugs represent value for money on my system (in terms of number of instances I can run / personal opinion on their sound qualities). All I can go on is reports online, which usually fall into 2 categories:

Type A: "I have one UAD card and I can't run as many of their plugs as I'd like"
Type B: "What's the problem? Just buy 4!"

I realise that online opinions aren't gospel, but there is certainly a trend / pattern.
I hear you. To me, I see it this way - The UAD-1 system is designed to couple 4 cards together and use a load sharing algorithm to spread the processing of plugins across the 4 cards. As a means to allow for 'entry level' adoptions or spreading it out financially, you can indeed buy 1 at a time and add the plugins as you see fit.

Without all 4 cards and all of the plugins, you're not capable of using the UAD-1 system to its achievable potential and they are clear about those limitation...very clear...going in to it. There is both official and anecdotal information all over the place telling us what is attainable with 1, 2, 3 an 4 cards as well as what each plug can do.

In order to build the UAD-1 system to its full potential, one must plan accordingly. You need to either get a motherboard that can handle it, or an expansion chassis that is compatible and meets the requirements.

Like any modular system, you upgrade as you go.
Old 18th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, let's wait and see if the other plug-ins work as well.
I read a few years back where guys had been using these cards, and after a certain
version, it wouldn't work.
So, report back.

it's WORKING! ! XP & 4.10 ! !
I put it in as my second card, and IT ROCKS !!!
All my paid-for plugs are there, and load fine.
More testing to follow . . . . . . .
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search