The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Please enlighten me that what's the point for vst3 for UAD2?
Why don't you look it up...
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
if they rewrote their plugs to an actual graphics card how much power
would it have compared to their old cards?
hmm yes!!!

Wasnt there a program (in development stage).. Im not sure what it was called.

BUt basically it was a sort of bridge/plug-in thing that allowed you to use your standard VSTs, but it would allow them to draw from your GPU on your graphics card??

What ever happened to that :(

stike
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
if they rewrote their plugs to an actual graphics card how much power
would it have compared to their old cards?
Tons of power indeed, but lost quite a large amount of money at the same time cause nobody will buy the cards...
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
hmm yes!!!

BUt basically it was a sort of bridge/plug-in thing that allowed you to use your standard VSTs, but it would allow them to draw from your GPU on your graphics card??

stike
Nebula 3?
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

5 pages of utter boredom.....

This thread should be moved....speculation about a new product is not the same as an actual new product.
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
hmm yes!!!

stike
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat View Post
Nebula 3?
No this was a piece of software, that ported your VSTs (Any VST - whatever they may be), and instead of your VSTs using your CPU for thier processing, it would make use of your GPU on whatever Graphics card you had installed..

Anyone?

Edit -

Found it.. BionicFX was what I was talking about..
I know they have ceased... BUt is anyone else trying to do what they endevoured to do??

BionicFX NVIDIA GPU Audio Effect Processor

stike
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No this was a piece of software, that ported your VSTs (Any VST - whatever they may be), and instead of your VSTs using your CPU for thier processing, it would make use of your GPU on whatever Graphics card you had installed..
Why would anyone be trying to do that?

Raw CPU power for running purely native plug-ins is no longer in short supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
They are and have been dumping the PCI & PCIe cards for 6 months.
Free cards in the form of vouchers is a smart idea, as long as the cost is low. The main purpose of these cards at this point is as a dongle. If it's just a dongle, why not sell it for $40 like an iLok? The voucher plan is a similar concept if you think about it.

Quote:
-$250 Promo voucher for cross grading to expert pack (multiple cross grade tiers)
- This months sizzling sale (to get people to spend those vouchers from the influx of buying)
I believe this months sizzling sale is a result of the successful objective by UA to deplete stock of UAD-1 PCI & PCIe. They want those vouchers spent for two reasons.
You forgot the most obvious and likely reason for slashing prices: a death spiral of new sales revenues.

Quote:
1. New Plugins are coming out, and they want NEW cash coming in to make up for lost profits. They are currently giving away free cards, they may not be at a loss, but certainly are not at a profit. Some people may not have vouchers left, but see the DEEP discounts as a MUST purchase.
No, they're still making a profit on those cards. What do you think is the marginal cost of manufacturing a card and distributing a couple plugins online? Less than they're taking in, I'll bet. But obviously it's not as profitable as pure plug-in sales for cash.

Quote:
2. The sizzling deals are DEEP discounts and I have blown my vouchers. I personally have 1 UAD-1 PCI card. I do plan to get another (for more power) and more plugins, but why spend cash when I get get a free card & free cash. I want to get the PCIe expert pack so I get a total of $1050 in vouchers for the price of $750. This will help deplete their stock even more.
I don't understand, why are you as a customer worried about their stock situation? How does that help you?

Quote:
I believe that UAD-2 with be PCI & PCIe based as it is the fastest most direct path to the computer. It will be in a 1u 19"rack unit and come in many configurations. This is my prediction. You heard it here FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

JSL
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Why would anyone be trying to do that?

Raw CPU power for running purely native plug-ins is no longer in short supply.

JSL
True.. But what if I want to run 150 instances of a CPU heavy plugin??
You can never have to much.. I think something like this would just ease the burden a bit.. Take the slack of your CPU..

?
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

i always thought UAD1 is an old graphics card
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
i always thought UAD1 is an old graphics card
Yes OLD.

But BionicFX was to make use of your CURRENT graphics card..

Quote:
BionicFX announced a technology for music production that turns NVIDIA video cards into audio effects processors. Audio Video Exchange (AVEX) converts digital audio into graphics data, and then performs effect calculations using the 3D architecture of the GPU. The latest video cards from NVIDIA are capable of more than 40 gigaflops of processing power compared to less than 6 gigaflops on Intel and AMD CPUs.
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

i was following Bionic FX when it was announced about a half year regularly
this was three years before

Apple seems to work on their own product now
hope this will happen soon
Old 5th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
True.. But what if I want to run 150 instances of a CPU heavy plugin??
You can never have to much..
If you want to run 150 instances of a CPU-heavy plug-in, then you're not making music, you're masturbating. Hey, why stop at 150? Why not 1500? Why not 15,000?

You can never have too much, but you can have enough to do good work. The real talent is doing great work right now, with whatever you've got right now.

In this day and age, if you're really aching for more CPU power for native plug-ins, then you're just no good at this.

JSL
Old 5th July 2008
Quote:
If you want to run 150 instances of a CPU-heavy plug-in, then you're not making music, you're masturbating. Hey, why stop at 150? Why not 1500? Why not 15,000?

You can never have too much, but you can have enough to do good work. The real talent is doing great work right now, with whatever you've got right now.

In this day and age, if you're really aching for more CPU power for native plug-ins, then you're just no good at this.

JSL
you have to think that if you work in a mixerless environment, it takes a short time to choke your computer with plugins and VI.
Old 5th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

JSL
how much CPU needs a 480L?
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
you have to think that if you work in a mixerless environment, it takes a short time to choke your computer with plugins and VI.
I gave up external mixers five years ago — but I actually don't think a mixer would help you, because your problem is VI, not the plug-ins or routing or panning or summing. "Back in the day," we used a lot of external sound sources with ITB sequencing. These days, you could still do that if you wanted, and there are external nodes you can use for VI. If DSP capacity is still an issue for you, I really think you should look at taking all your VIs off your main mixing system. No sneaky special software is going to save you — there just isn't a market for it.

JSL
Old 6th July 2008
Quote:
I gave up external mixers five years ago — but I actually don't think a mixer would help you, because your problem is VI, not the plug-ins or routing or panning or summing. "Back in the day," we used a lot of external sound sources with ITB sequencing. These days, you could still do that if you wanted, and there are external nodes you can use for VI. If DSP capacity is still an issue for you, I really think you should look at taking all your VIs off your main mixing system. No sneaky special software is going to save you — there just isn't a market for it.

JSL
What you're saying makes sense. In fact my main problem IS dsp.
I used to have tons of external stuff, but since I turned mixerless, my life got even better...
I am actually changing my G5 for an 8 core in a short timeline, and I think things will improve for the better. I don't think I will solve my problems anyway.
I had a huge improvement in sound and dsp saving by purchasing 2 SSL Duende.
I lately bought NI Kore which is massive, but really heavy with my system.
I will buy Access Virus TI Snow which is very good sounding,, is REAL and has a very smart VST Management. (Actually you use it like a vst Instrument)
I will go for UAD when version 2 turns on.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

JSL
Well put.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

JSL
I think that's only partially true. While it's true that you can work with what you have, especially compared to a few decades ago, there is still a good case for more DSP power for the UAD.

If you consider a commercial studio equipped with a mixing console and outboard on a not so fancy project, you could come up with some interesting numbers. Let's pretend for the sake of argument you use

68 mono channels. On a console you'd have an eq available on all those channels. Let's also say that you use 4 for stereo compression (drums or whatever on busses).

So let's go Neve for example, and at 24/88.2. Obviously, most people wouldn't eq all those channels. So let's just say we'll eq half of them.

34 / 15.5 (31mono eq @ 44.1 /2 for 88.2k) = 2.2, i.e 3 cards minimum.

Let's add our bus compressor. The 33609 is nice: 1 / card.

We now have some DSP left over on our "eq" cards, about 80%. We have one 33609 left to add to the other stereo bus. And we haven't even gotten to our compressors used on individual tracks yet. Or deessers. Or reverbs. Etc.

So my point is that yes, we should be able to do good work without more DSP, but if one wants the "UAD NEVE flavour" throughout the signal path (more or less), one needs more just to get to a point equivalent of a pro studio. And that's what all these plug-in manufacturers do, they attempt to emulate real hardware and real working situations in the box.

So I think you're being too harsh and aren't giving the "critics" at least part of the credit they deserve. And for what it's worth, there are plenty of "real" engineers out there who use A LOT of processing in the "real" world. They use it because they feel it makes things sound better. And these are highly successful engineers. It doesn't mean they will use HEAVY eq'ing on every track, it could be so subtle it may be barely noticed even to trained ears but adds up in the mix. But be that as it may, it still requires the same amount of processing. So to call those who desire more DSP as simply mediocre engineers (without even hearing their work) is more than a bit pompous in my humble opinion.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am actually changing my G5 for an 8 core in a short timeline, and I think things will improve for the better. I don't think I will solve my problems anyway.
I don't know, it may actually come close to solving your problems. You cannot really imagine the difference in the DSP ceiling between those two systems. Even the very first Intel-based iMacs, with one two-core Core Duo chip, were noticeably faster than the Dual G5 tower for most tasks. That's one jump, a second would be Quad Core, a third would be Eight-core, a fourth would be the difference between each core in a Core Duo and each core in a Xeon. In sum: Big, big differences.

JSL
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think that's only partially true. While it's true that you can work with what you have, especially compared to a few decades ago, there is still a good case for more DSP power for the UAD.
We weren't really talking about expanding the UAD at that point. I agree that since the UAD plug-ins can only be executed on the UAD card, that is an issue.

JSL
Old 6th July 2008
Gear Maniac

am currently in the situation that i need dynamic plugins and some eqs
for mixing .

i am on mbp and was considering the uad1 expander xpert pack which comes
with a 1000$ voucher plus this month 150$ free voucher from uaudio
plus 20% discount on every plugin you buy .

for the same money i could buy a sonnox eq and the urs channel strip pro .

in case of uad1 im mainly interested in running la2a , 1176ln , vca vu , fairchild
and roland space echo once in a while .

how many instances can you run on one card , using mono tracks ?

my fear right now is , uaudio will release a new card by the end of the year
which would render the cards resell price and maybe the plugins worthless .

what you guys think , urs channel strip pro + sonnox eq or uad1 xpander xpert pak ?

im really on a tight budget right now and cant really decide which route to take
Old 7th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmints View Post
am currently in the situation that i need dynamic plugins and some eqs
for mixing .

i am on mbp and was considering the uad1 expander xpert pack which comes
with a 1000$ voucher plus this month 150$ free voucher from uaudio
plus 20% discount on every plugin you buy .

for the same money i could buy a sonnox eq and the urs channel strip pro .

in case of uad1 im mainly interested in running la2a , 1176ln , vca vu , fairchild
and roland space echo once in a while .

how many instances can you run on one card , using mono tracks ?

my fear right now is , uaudio will release a new card by the end of the year
which would render the cards resell price and maybe the plugins worthless .

what you guys think , urs channel strip pro + sonnox eq or uad1 xpander xpert pak ?

im really on a tight budget right now and cant really decide which route to take
if you need dynamics & eq consider SSL Duende. worth every penny.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you need dynamics & eq consider SSL Duende. worth every penny.
Tried as hard as I could to love and mix on Duende.

Had no technical problems.

Sold it for a loss.

tutt
Old 7th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Tried as hard as I could to love and mix on Duende.

Had no technical problems.

Sold it for a loss.

tutt
totally unstable, I admit. I couldn't mix without it anyway.
Old 7th July 2008
Gear Maniac

problem with duende is thats way more expensive than uad xpert xpander
duende mini doesnt even ship with plugins and those are f-ing expensive .
im sure though that duende would beat the uad instance wise but am not
really aware of how many compressors i could load with the uad, any ideas ?
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get a Liquid Mix if you're considering Duende because you need firewire and are on a budget. Liquid Mix has 40 compressor types and 20 EQs and can run one full compressor and one full EQ on each of 32 channels (and in either order). Duende has a Channel Strip thing that is totally lame in all senses...the EQ is tolerable, not great, but the compressor is worthless. The Duende Bus Comp is OK, not as good as the Liquid Mix versions of it, but you can't have EQ or anything else on that channel of processing if you use it.

UAD sounds a bit better than Liquid Mix but at a price...you need a Mac Pro to do large-scale work on it and at least 2 cards. UAD-2 will be out soon enough and I won't openly laugh at the haters when it does because they don't interest me.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Each plug has a different footprint.

1176 SE can do more than 1176 LN, and I think it sounds great. I think the LN can do about 10 stereo instances, but it has a larger footprint.

Depends on the combination of plugs you are using.

Never felt the need to use more than one card, but then again I am not running the Neve stuff on there.. mainy pultecs, 1176's, and realverbs.
Old 7th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Get a Liquid Mix if you're considering Duende because you need firewire and are on a budget. Liquid Mix has 40 compressor types and 20 EQs and can run one full compressor and one full EQ on each of 32 channels (and in either order). Duende has a Channel Strip thing that is totally lame in all senses...the EQ is tolerable, not great, but the compressor is worthless. The Duende Bus Comp is OK, not as good as the Liquid Mix versions of it, but you can't have EQ or anything else on that channel of processing if you use it.

UAD sounds a bit better than Liquid Mix but at a price...you need a Mac Pro to do large-scale work on it and at least 2 cards. UAD-2 will be out soon enough and I won't openly laugh at the haters when it does because they don't interest me.
Man, I think they gave you Behringer Tuente because I can tell SSL Duende is the best sounding eq/dynamics plugin I've ever used, and it improved my mixes in a miracle way. Maybe it's just a question of taste, but Liquid Mix is not in the same League.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I think they gave you Behringer Tuente because I can tell SSL Duende is the best sounding eq/dynamics plugin I've ever used, and it improved my mixes in a miracle way. Maybe it's just a question of taste, but Liquid Mix is not in the same League.
I see you make techno. The thinness of the Duende and its gauzy graininess will help defeat some of the tubby muddy synth sounds you are mixing. So I'm not so surprised that you like it...but I don't consider electronica a useful genre to judge processing on. Since there is no frame of reference, anything goes...
Old 7th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok whatever. I was giving an example.. But Im sure there are people who write scores etc, totally ITB, with this many tracks/plug ins.

Quote:

JSL
Of course we can do well with what we have now.. I do.
But look. This whole thread would cease to exist if we were ALL happy with what we had.. Lets go back to using Atari's??

My point in bringing up BionicFX was..
It would be good to ease the load on the CPU - Not all of us run ProTools HD. And not all of us can afford outboard gear... Im running an AMD dual core. So its not the best out there, but its pretty darn good.
I rarely push it to its limits, but at times I do..

I would be a lot happier seeing my CPU hover around 20%, ticking away happily, with whatever plug-in I wish to use... Rather than it averging out at 60-80%..

But then again. Im not doing it righrt, am I?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search