The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
So much gear = "General recording equipment discussion..."

just throwing it out there since we don't have a vaporware forum...

not important enough for a ninja anyway.

UA promotions prolonged till september 30th
hope i will read only informative posts on the UAD2 until then
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
UA promotions prolonged till september 30th
hope i will read only informative posts on the UAD2 until then
where have you found any informative posts on UAD2?
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
where have you found any informative posts on UAD2?
informative would be to know if it should be expected PCI-e or firewire
Old 2nd July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Thanks, man! I´d better do that. Not with UA stuff doe. Those are for trainees. I prefer the Cubase 4 bundle for now.
Child..

UAD dfegadon Cubase plugs..
Oh and for that matter.. So does Sonar 7.

stike
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

PLEASE, continue this conversation in the moan-zone...

we´re in the "new product alert", as long as there´s no uad2 coming, we don´t need any thread here. that sucks.
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
informative would be to know if it should be expected PCI-e or firewire
That is just the thing... there has been no announcement. There is no official info, just speculation and the hinting of a very few who seem to have some inside knowledge.

But, if UAD's stance in the past is any indicator, I would doubt you should expect a firewire UAD interface.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is just the thing... there has been no announcement. There is no official info, just speculation and the hinting of a very few who seem to have some inside knowledge.

But, if UAD's stance in the past is any indicator, I would doubt you should expect a firewire UAD interface.
If not firewire, than what?

The problem with PCI is that probably (speculating) at very least, half of all UAD users have PCI, and the rest have e or x. Maybe UAD 2 will be either (a choice between) PCI or PCIe, as the current one is?

The problem with firewire is stability.

Anyway, as always, am wondering what in the hell they are up to.... They keep releasing amazing plugs that require waaaaay too much horsepower to run on the old platform.

Oh well... as long as I can keep usin' pultec pro and fairchild on my older G5, than I guess I'm happy.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 View Post
If not firewire, than what?

The problem with PCI is that probably (speculating) at very least, half of all UAD users have PCI, and the rest have e or x. Maybe UAD 2 will be either (a choice between) PCI or PCIe, as the current one is?

Anyway, as always, am wondering what in the hell they are up to.... They keep releasing amazing plugs that require waaaaay too much horsepower to run on the old platform.

Oh well... as long as I can keep usin' pultec pro and fairchild on my older G5, than I guess I'm happy.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a box like the duende or powercore made to run current and next gen UAD plugs. Current owners could port their plugs over to that box making it a very reasonable upgrade. (just joining in the speculation)
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Thread is long enough we have to repeat ourselves.

The UAD will never be firewire-based, because that's not how the thing works. Firewire 400 can only have 48 simultaneous i/o chennels @24/48. Most manufacturers only dare use 32.

UAD has everything be its own little plugin, and the routing goes back to the DAW after each plugin. That means you'd run out of 32 i/o with just 32 plugins...far fewer than the current PCI cards can do!

My prediction for UAD-2 is it will be just as it currently is, OR, it will just be based on the UAD-Expander thing which is a breakout box accessed by expressCard. They already sell a PCIe to expressCard adapter card, called UAD-Xtenda or something like that.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
My prediction for UAD-2 is it will be just as it currently is, OR, it will just be based on the UAD-Expander thing which is a breakout box accessed by expressCard. They already sell a PCIe to expressCard adapter card, called UAD-Xtenda or something like that.
[/QUOTE]

how many actuall plugins could we expect to run on such a box?
same amount as with a chassis or more?
an actuall chassis with 4 cards is about 2000,-
what could they offer for this amount?
Old 3rd July 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

As far as I'm aware the thing is pretty imminent... as in a few months away.

I agree with the speculation that it will be xpander related. I hope they do a 1U rackmount box that connects to PCI or Cardbus Xpander.

I wish I knew more, but I have heard its on its way.
-T
Old 3rd July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
I wish I knew more, but I have heard its on its way.
-T
Guy 1 - "Have you heard UAD-2 is on its way"

Guy 2 - "Yeah my cousin knows this guy, who is mates with this guy's aunties, brothers, dogs, fathers, chemists, gardeners, sisters, drug dealers, neighbour who cleans the building next door to Universal Audio"

Guy 1 - "Oooh yeah!!"

Guy 2 - "Oooh yeah!!"

stike
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post

Guy 2 - "Yeah my cousin knows this guy, who is mates with this guy's aunties, brothers, dogs, fathers, chemists, garderners, sisters, drug dealers, neighbour who cleans the building next door to Universal Audio"

Guy 1 - "Oooh yeah!!"

Guy 2 - "Oooh yeah!!"

stike
Dude, I don't know about aunties, but chemists are ridiculously reliable and notorious for being in the know. Recognize...
Old 3rd July 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

No offence, but my source is very reliable... you have no idea who, and I will not say.

-T
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No offence, but my source is very reliable... you have no idea who, and I will not say.

-T
Cause if he did... he'd have to kill you.

More on point, I don't doubt that we will see a big update...UAD2... or whatever in the very near future.

In the meantime, I'll be saving my $$$.
Old 3rd July 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

Well he wouldn't kill me, I'd just be breaking the trust of a close friend, and that's something I won't do! ;-)

The speculation is killing everyone, but there is something coming, UA can't NOT.

-T
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well he wouldn't kill me, I'd just be breaking the trust of a close friend, and that's something I won't do! ;-)

The speculation is killing everyone, but there is something coming, UA can't NOT.

-T
That's a good man. : )
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Thanks, man! I´d better do that. Not with UA stuff doe. Those are for trainees. I prefer the Cubase 4 bundle for now.
Wow ... a Cubase user thinking he can condescend to ... anyone? Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
PLEASE, continue this conversation in the moan-zone ... we´re in the "new product alert", as long as there´s no uad2 coming, we don´t need any thread here. that sucks.
I heartily agree. Maybe there should be a Vaporware sub-forum where these threads can be moved by a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 View Post
No, the problem with PCI is, why would any company come out with a significant new product that was limited to their old customer base? Don't think about what UAD users have, think about what potential UAD users might have. Like, maybe, a laptop with no card slot. Or an iMac.

Quote:
Funny, that doesn't seem to be a problem for Metric-Halo or TC or the entire video-editing industry or our commercial studio's main system drive or ...

How's that Kool-Aid taste, anyway? Still as good after the 900th pitcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The UAD will never be firewire-based, because that's not how the thing works.
No ... the current UAD-1 will never be Firewire-based, because that's not how the current UAD-1 works.

Quote:
UAD has everything be its own little plugin, and the routing goes back to the DAW after each plugin. That means you'd run out of 32 i/o with just 32 plugins...far fewer than the current PCI cards can do!
Is it that inconceivable that they'd figure out a way to allow the user to instantiate a chain of consecutive plug-ins within a single round-trip? I mean, it may be unlikely because UA doesn't seem to have much real software engineering expertise, but there's no technical reason it couldn't be done.

And finally ...

Quote:
OMG
OMG
Clear your cookies and refresh refresh refresh!!!

UAD-2 Announced on the UAD Website!!!
What a fun thread! Awesome!

JSL
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post

I heartily agree. Maybe there should be a Vaporware sub-forum where these threads can be moved by a moderator.

No, the problem with PCI is, why would any company come out with a significant new product that was limited to their old customer base? Don't think about what UAD users have, think about what potential UAD users might have. Like, maybe, a laptop. Or an iMac.

Funny, that doesn't seem to be a problem for Metric-Halo or TC or the entire video-editing industry or our commercial studio's main system drive or ...

How's that Kool-Aid taste, anyway? Still as good after the 900th pitcher?

No ... the current UAD-1 will never be Firewire-based, because that's not how the current UAD-1 works.

Is it that inconceivable that they'd figure out a way to allow the user to instantiate a chain of consecutive plug-ins within a single round-trip? I mean, it may be unlikely because UA doesn't seem to have much real software engineering expertise, but there's no technical reason it couldn't be done.

And finally ...

What a fun thread! Awesome!

JSL
jslevin, You are the MAN.

I can't stand the fan boys who don't think, but blindly parrot UAD's spin such as the "Firewire Problem".

Besides if you can run HD video off Firewire drives (like at my friends post facility) without glitches and stability issues, don't tell me about Firewires inherent instability.

Additionally, I've only had Firewire hard drives and never had problems, as well as 2 Metric Halo's 2882, and an Apogee Ensemble which all ran flawlessly.

So please people, stop defending UAD's spin about Firewire being a problem.
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Guy 2 - "Yeah my cousin knows this guy, who is mates with this guy's aunties, brothers, dogs, fathers, chemists, gardeners, sisters, drug dealers, neighbour who cleans the building next door to Universal Audio"

Guy 1 - "Oooh yeah!!"

Guy 2 - "Oooh yeah!!"

stike
I don't mean to float my own boat...
But seriously.. That post right there.. Mine.. Is one of the funniest Ive read here.. Ever!

Please tell me if my head is up my arse??
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't mean to float my own boat...
But seriously.. That post right there.. Mine.. Is one of the funniest Ive read here.. Ever!

Please tell me if my head is up my arse??
Narcissism sounds really nice through the Precision Maximizer, with a touch of Fairchild added...
Old 4th July 2008
LAU
Gear Maniac

Well, there is one thing i know:

UA staff reading all this must be feeling like the the man from the icecreamcar thinking:

"Look at them kids running!"

Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAU View Post
Well, there is one thing i know:

UA staff reading all this must be feeling like the the man from the icecreamcar thinking:

"Look at them kids running!"

Truer Words...
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

If UAD-2 shows up at AES, I think the only thing that could upstage it would be the next generation of Pro Tools.

I'm going to be there anyway, but man if both are announced at once it's going to be quite a show.

Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

This was my prediction from June 25th.

They are and have been dumping the PCI & PCIe cards for 6 months.
-Flexi pack is $500 & comes with $500 in vouchers (Free card)
-Expert Pack is $750 & comes with $750 in vouchers (Free card)
-$150 Promo Voucher for buying a new card
-$250 Promo voucher for cross grading to expert pack (multiple cross grade tiers)
- This months sizzling sale (to get people to spend those vouchers from the influx of buying)

I believe this months sizzling sale is a result of the successful objective by UA to deplete stock of UAD-1 PCI & PCIe. They want those vouchers spent for two reasons.
1. New Plugins are coming out, and they want NEW cash coming in to make up for lost profits. They are currently giving away free cards, they may not be at a loss, but
certainly are not at a profit. Some people may not have vouchers left, but see the DEEP discounts as a MUST purchase.
2. The sizzling deals are DEEP discounts and I have blown my vouchers. I personally have 1 UAD-1 PCI card. I do plan to get another (for more power) and more plugins, but
why spend cash when I get get a free card & free cash. I want to get the PCIe expert pack so I get a total of $1050 in vouchers for the price of $750. This will help deplete
their stock even more.

I believe that they will extend the New card & cross grade promo's for another 3 months or so and possibly release the FATSO and another plugin in July/August. They will then go on to announce UAD-2 in all it glory in October in their home state @ the

125th AES Convention
Moscone Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

I believe that UAD-2 with be PCI & PCIe based as it is the fastest most direct path to the computer. It will be in a 1u 19"rack unit and come in many configurations. This is my prediction. You heard it here FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, they did extend the Promo's as I suspected. I think they may just hold out on the Fatso for UAD-2 because it may not be able to run on single UAD-1 card. We'll see. Also VST3 may be a possibility for UAD-2
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post

JSL
Thank God for UAD plugs! I don´t know what have happened to music without them.

Mainly because of Nigel and other gems.
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Please enlighten me that what's the point for vst3 for UAD2?
Old 4th July 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

Sidechaining...

-T
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe that UAD-2 with be PCI & PCIe based as it is the fastest most direct path to the computer. It will be in a 1u 19"rack unit and come in many configurations. This is my prediction. You heard it here FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
I too have a suspicion that this will be the road they follow.
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

if they rewrote their plugs to an actual graphics card how much power
would it have compared to their old cards?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search