The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Quote from the Winter Namm 2008 program handout @ Frankfurt.

"Empirical Labs’ first software plug-in, the Fatso for UAD2."

Universal Audio UAD-2

Shurely shome mishtake.

ns
yeah, mistake, they retracted that one very quickly... at NAMM, I didn't even mention that slip-up, and the (extremely nice and attentive) rep denied it as a typo without me bringing it up... I'm sure it was spin on his part, they're very tight lipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oortnyc View Post
Just curious if anyone has heard anything about an updated Uad-1. I am considering purchasing one and would hate for a new one to come out 2 weeks later.
Thanks -
yeah, 2 weeks, hahahahah, don't hold your breath... 2 years, don't hold your breath...
Old 24th March 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gruv View Post
2004: I would think they would have it done also.. I thought last Jan. it would come out - surprised it has gone this long without a revision. But as many have stated they get more when you buy more, and I've read that some users have up to three cards installed.I really thought AES was the ticket.. now I would guess the NAMM show in Jan.
How long has it been 3-4-5 years?

Keep going . . . 6 . . . . . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 . . Y E A R S . . . .

I think UA Engineering Lead 'hero' Joe Bryan has been on vacation for 8 years . . . . .

Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Ooo wow we're getting names! That will create a lot of upwards pressure on the corporate ladder if corporate is the one sandbagging. No techie wants to be generally known as the rate-limiting step. heh
Old 24th March 2008
Gear Head

I was told by a guy who is a UA regional support rep that UA will be releasing "something new this summer." When I asked what, he said to check the internet forums.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Who ****ing cares. Obviously with all of the rants on this forum no one from UA is checking it, as none of them have ever officially responded. Move on people! Either buy a Magma chassis and use a ton of the regular cards, or learn to get the same sound from the MULTITUDE of alternate compressor/eq plugins on the market.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Well if anyone hasnt noticed, but sweetwater just did a pricedrop on all the cards and bundles, maybe a lil indication that they are tryin to get the last bit of blood from people.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Not seeing so much of a price drop, but what I did see at Sweetwater:

Universal Audio UAD-Xtenda | Sweetwater.com

OK that answers it then. The UAD-2 is going to all be expresscard...that is the high-bandwidth standard they are going with. You will buy expresscard adapters for it that they will resell you (these are $99) for PCIe etc. and you will plug into a UAD-2 rackmount chassis...perhaps available, like Duende/Duende Mini, in different sizes for portability.

This way they have just one format to support for desktop and laptop use.

They are shipping thse early as a beta test anticipating the demand for UAD-2 once it arrives.

OK just get the damn thing out UA, and gimme a sweet trade-in deal.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Not seeing so much of a price drop, but what I did see at Sweetwater:

Universal Audio UAD-Xtenda | Sweetwater.com

OK that answers it then. The UAD-2 is going to all be expresscard...that is the high-bandwidth standard they are going with. You will buy expresscard adapters for it that they will resell you (these are $99) for PCIe etc. and you will plug into a UAD-2 rackmount chassis...perhaps available, like Duende/Duende Mini, in different sizes for portability.

This way they have just one format to support for desktop and laptop use.

They are shipping thse early as a beta test anticipating the demand for UAD-2 once it arrives.

OK just get the damn thing out UA, and gimme a sweet trade-in deal.
I dunno about express card being the "only" solution.....
RME had/ has a system for the Multiface, where the cable from the unit plugs into either a PCI or Cardbus adapter....I'm sure the same is possible with a future UAD product.

Whatever they decide upon, I believe it will be PCIe and once the redesign of all the plugins, due to a new processor chip...we'll see a new product.
Old 27th March 2008
Ive heard a couple of people say that UAD2 will be arriving in 'fall' whenever that is

Also a guy from Jrr shop told me that they were stopping selling Expert paks soon 'because they werent selling well'...

Im buying one anyways-I think 2 cards would do me fine. Im sure if it does come out soon a UAD2 will prob be expensive. I think realistically the reason why they havent upgraded until now is that 1 their cards are actually pretty good - its just the plugins a very hungry and 2 only the high end of the market really need a more powerful card - and their biggest userbase where they make their money isnt this top end. (In fact I read that I think as a quote from a UA rep)....
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

just so you all know, i've heard uad1 card really suck at low latency....
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
since you can't track with uad plugs because of there latenzy there seems to be
no reason to use them with low latenzy settings while mixing anyway.

that said, i have 2 uad cards and i don't run into any problems even when
mixing at lower latenzy settings ...

but great that you let us all know that you heard second hand that the uad cards suck. way to go ...
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Yeah. I heard that there's an army base on the dark side of the moon.

Go eat your cheerios, I think your moms calling you.
Old 27th March 2008
Gear Nut

Mhhh, so I should hold on buying a uad card NOW?
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluesBrother View Post
I was told by a guy who is a UA regional support rep that UA will be releasing "something new this summer." When I asked what, he said to check the internet forums.
Probably FATSO.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just sayin, anyways without hand's on experience, I think it's reasonable to operate at 128 samples. Besides, i hate switching back and forth. If i could get that kind of latency, i would probably use a comp or reverb for live playing with my guitar.

dont' worry hench man, I'll stay out of the 'high end' forums.

pz.

I'll take another look this summer...
Old 21st May 2008
so no UAD announcements at the AES then?

any of you amsterdam slutz who have managed to sober up please respond.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

The only problem with UAD at low latency is the high CPU hit. If you have one of the new quad core CPUs, it should work better.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

No one has mentioned that the UAD-1 had a price drop this week. That can only mean 1 thing.....a new card.
Old 21st May 2008
where did you see the price drop and by how much????????????
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
where did you see the price drop and by how much????????????

UAD Forums - New UAD-1 Price Drops
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Funny this thread and others started over 4 years go. So perhaps we will have to wait another 4 years for uad2. The price drop might be cause the mini-duende is so cheap (490 euro inc vat (and uad1 flexi is now 455))?!

Mhhh... I guess for me it's now the time to pick up a flexi pack pci, nice and cheap. Very tempted to get a 455 euro pci. I will get 500 dollar plugs + 150 extra = 650 dollar for plugs. I have pci a slot left and have worked with uad in other studio's, but I don't have them...

Mhhhh... or wait...
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

same problem here !!

expert pack is now 750 $ ( about 500 € ) with 5 plugins included
with 750 + 150 voucher = 900 $ for plug-ins (about 5 good ones)

that means i'm buying @ 50 € / plugin ...... very tempting

or should i wait a little longer for a UAD-2 ????

Help
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
same problem here !!

expert pack is now 750 $ ( about 500 € ) with 5 plugins included
with 750 + 150 voucher = 900 $ for plug-ins (about 5 good ones)

that means i'm buying @ 50 € / plugin ...... very tempting

or should i wait a little longer for a UAD-2 ????

Help
I'm going for it, I talked to UA last week and they said hypothetically if there ever was a UAD2 the licenses would be transferable. Neve here I come

FYI If you own a UAD pci card you get $1,000 in free plugins with the expert pak.
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I'm going for it, I talked to UA last week and they said hypothetically if there ever was a UAD2 the licenses would be transferable.
OMG, if they weren't transferable I would go over there with my red stapler and burn the building down...
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
OMG, if they weren't transferable I would go over there with my red stapler and burn the building down...
Mmmm Yeeah. Did you get the memo?
Old 30th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Mmmm Yeeah. Did you get the memo?
I'll come in and work this weekend on the TPS report too...
Old 31st May 2008
It just seems like the card is basically justa dongle for the plugs. They may be just recognizing that if even PTs HD-3 types systems will get a run for their money with a native machine of considerably lesser cost, then the life expectancy of this type of product is pretty limited at this point and it might not be worth investing anything more in it. I mean look how long it's been since PTs has come out with anything new on this front as well. The folks creating these types of systems have to be a little paranoid at this point.

If the UA folks are thinking these thoughts, they may also be looking at the board as a dongle as well. It keeps the code in a form that wouldn't be useful on a native machine even if hacked, even though it provides probably no really useful amount of processing power. So they get to sell their plugs with none of the paranoia that other plug manufacturers have to deal with, and they don't have to put any real investment into coming out with another version of the product. They could just move to native and use an iLok, but of course everyone knows that all iLok products are hackable.
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
It just seems like the card is basically justa dongle for the plugs. They may be just recognizing that if even PTs HD-3 types systems will get a run for their money with a native machine of considerably lesser cost, then the life expectancy of this type of product is pretty limited at this point and it might not be worth investing anything more in it. I mean look how long it's been since PTs has come out with anything new on this front as well. The folks creating these types of systems have to be a little paranoid at this point.

If the UA folks are thinking these thoughts, they may also be looking at the board as a dongle as well. It keeps the code in a form that wouldn't be useful on a native machine even if hacked, even though it provides probably no really useful amount of processing power. So they get to sell their plugs with none of the paranoia that other plug manufacturers have to deal with, and they don't have to put any real investment into coming out with another version of the product. They could just move to native and use an iLok, but of course everyone knows that all iLok products are hackable.
Dean, you're a CTO right?

So do you know why better computers have a separate video card rather than just running video off the CPU?

I mean, some cheap computers do run video off the CPU. Why would more expensive ones have a separate video card?

Old 31st May 2008
If that's a rhetorical question intended to argue that the UAD card is not what I said it was, I'm not sure that's a valid point. The GPU's inside of the average modern graphics card is stupendously powerful and provides a huge increase in performance relative to running everything on the main CPU, and the amount of data being processed is large. And most of us don't begin to tap their potential for 3D graphics and whatnot, which they can do at amazing speeds and quality these days.

That doesn't really so much apply to the UAD cards, which are woefully underpowered. A modern quad core probably has the processing power of a small sink full of UAD cards in terms of performance, even without the specialization for DSP type operations. If our video cards were as underpowered as the UAD cards are, then it might not be worth using them.

Not that I have anything against DSP based systems. I've argued that they have the potential to completely smack host based systems. But that means having the power to really do it. And the gotcha is that you now are in a foot race against the monsterous R&D budget of the Wintel world. So you can't really come out with a new design once a decade or something and really remain competitive. And that's a tough row to hoe, particularly if you are addressing a niche market. And it'll get tougher and tougher as time goes by. So it's something to seriously consider if you are that business now, as to whether it really has a long term future. Look how many other data oriented industries that once were based on proprietary hardware have gone away in the face of the computer's ability to do it close enough to as good for a fraction of the price, sometimes better.

Obviously all available computing power can be used, but at some point it's just good enough that there's not a viable market left to provide the revenues to maintain a business providing the next step up. At some point it doesn't matter if you are 2x faster than a native machine (at 10 times the price or something like that), because if the native machine gets fast enough to do what's required, no more power is worth even paying for at any price to almost everyone. And how far are we from that scenario in the kind of horizons that big investment type business decisions have to be made? Maybe not far enough for comfort for the folks who make them, paritcularly at the lower end like UAD.
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Well the UAD-1 was a graphics card, and I imagine the UAD-2 will be more or less tha same kind of thing. Specific processors and pipelines for DSP, which while CPUs have integrated similar over the last 10 years, they have several disadvantages over a dedicated architecture.

I believe a single UAD-2 will probably remain quite a bit more powerful than a host-based solution for at least a few more years. This will allow them to do far more accurate models. They will also have onboard RAM to permit things like reverbs, which e.g. the Duende can't ever do.

This I believe will be in addition to the custom audio pipelining that will permit the realtime, low-latency monitoring I keep on mentioning for some reason. The host OS and bus firmware gets in the way of such a thing being fast and reliable. There is still an argument to be made for these sorts of dedicated solutions...it's not so much of an argument to justify the insane premiums of a Pro Tools HD (which is at this point nearly as outdated as the UAD-1), but it remains a valid one.

I also think the card will be more or less free and they will charge for plugins as they've been doing. Then they will also charge for the interface (which will probably also be usable standalone, like MOTU/Metric Halo can). With luck they will have made good choices and be able to upgrade the cards every three or four years without massive reinvestment.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search