The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

where?

at the point where a gifted computernerd helps the uaudio guys to get something they never knew they needed for their cards: cpu power???

heh heh heh

sorry, but i have to replay my tape:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj earlier in that thread
Well congrats on a contract with Dave Derr!

But who is the guy that has to be fired for being too unskilled to build a UAD 2? heh heh heh

Dear UNIVERSAL AUDIO,
that unit is damn old and damn...
... "underpowered" is the missing word here!!!
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post

Here is the deal:

1. The processors on those cards are more powerful than you realize
2. The folks at UAD-1 said at the time, that their code was writen specifically for that that card, and takes advantage of it in ways that could not normally be done.
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the UAD plugins were availible for Pro Tools TDM for a short time until the deal was pulled(no explanantion was given), so they were already ported to PPC chips. I also read an interview with them were they stated they tested them on a PC. So, it doesn't seem these plugs are exclusive to a GPU. Here's an old link to the UAD TDM announcement.
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Since you mentioned "ported" I can't imagine that coding the plugins to another processor can't be that difficult. If companies of the same size could make them for old Mac PPC's and Intel/AMD PC's as well as in different formats, RTAS, AU, VST and such.....at this point I can't understand the length we've waited for a new card.
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

please open another thread or take that thread out of the "new product alert".

no news, no post, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase...
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Since you mentioned "ported" I can't imagine that coding the plugins to another processor can't be that difficult.
Especially since they've already done it. The TDM versions are about 4 or 5 years old already. I personally can't vouch wether they were "ported" or rewritten for TDM, but I don't recall any complaints. I also forgot to mention that 2 plugins from UA(La2a/1176n)have been availible for Rolands VS8F-3 expansion cards for a while now also which is based on some type of Motorola DSP chip(PPC?), so the GPU excuse is wearing quite thin at this point to say the least. Since TDM and PoCo plugs have been cracked from time to time, my guess is their working with someone on a new unique CPU/GPU with another company(IBM/Motorola/Intel?)for protection and quality reasons, and that takes time for all sorts of reasons(patents etc.).
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Since TDM and PoCo plugs have been cracked from time to time, my guess is their working with someone on a new unique CPU/GPU with another company(IBM/Motorola/Intel?)for protection and quality reasons, and that takes time for all sorts of reasons(patents etc.).
Exceedingly doubtful. Piracy protection can be done in many simple ways when you have custom hardware involved. No need for a special CPU for that. UAD-2 will sell like hotcakes and still not go far past "sample quantities" for a chip...there's no way they can afford to develop a whole new microprocessor for it.

Anyway let's estimate purely the effects of Moore's Law on a UAD-2 from a UAD-1. UAD-1's chip is supposed to be 10 years old now. Moore's Law states that the number of transistors on a chip doubles every 18 months. If everything scales linearly, that means one UAD-2 should, according to Moore's Law, have the power of nearly 100 UAD-1s.

Old 29th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I would expect UAD to drop the hardware idea after or when digidesign does.

*remember* and use digidesign as the marker; why in *HELL* would a company
and marketing department. *NOT THE ENGINEERS*, sell or make something
better than a MODEL-T, or a MODEL-T pci-adapted; when people STILL buy
the model T.

*You know, marketing is everything; that card's popularity and sales sucked balls
until it was taken from mackie.*

Now, somebody mentioned hardware emulation; which is slower; but on a quad
or octo core; you're right it wouldn't matter much. (The cisco router emulator runs rings around the real thing on a fast box. and that's with actual boot iso code)

But, here's my question... In such a software emulator; would the latency hit disappear? could it go up and down the stack without the asio hit...

Because; otherwise you're asking them to re-write them again; and really;
for it to go over most excellent; that delay would have to go away leaving only
the upsample delays.

But yeah, you know there cards have *yet* to be cracked. This is even if you
have one; nobodies cracked moving plugs or anything else;
If they could keep those same protections on usb dongle; it would work for them.
The pci card's have a clock in them that assist in the copy protection..

I would guess you could still pull a dongle emulator like was done to steinberg;
but that took over a year.

So; they'd have to see a significant drop in sales, along with bitching, for them to
abandon one of the best copy protection schemes out there; (hey get paid for their software). And for that matter; those cards can be purchased for what a plugin costs; so that's really not the issue anymore, it's convenience that people want, and no latency hit. (So, they marketed convenience, but with an old car covered in a box.) so, if it sales like vomit; maybe they will move on to a
emulator dongle model.. But i still don't see that perfect; until the latency is fixed.

(Not that anybody in their right minds would use them on channels; but still.)
Old 4th February 2008
Here for the gear

I have the wintfast S800 and 3DVD-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
See page 13 for reference to Empirical Labs first plug in - the Fatso for UAD2 -
http://www.thenammshow.com/files/pdfs/NS08_Playback_Supplement.pdf

Empirical Labs’ first software plug-in, the Fatso for UAD2.

I have the wintfast S800 and 3DVD-1000!!dfegad
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Head

Cool blah

aight peoplez, cant wait around much longer, desperately need more DSP power NOW so Im gettin meself a Liquid Mix! Will let everyone here know how the emulations compare...
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah I couldn't wait any longer either..
I just bought a Poco X8. Came with the $1000 voucher as well.
Old 4th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuss88 View Post
aight peoplez, cant wait around much longer, desperately need more DSP power NOW so Im gettin meself a Liquid Mix! Will let everyone here know how the emulations compare...
Let us know how you get on, I may be switching from PC to iMac soon and firewire DSP maybe my only choice.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Let us know how you get on, I may be switching from PC to iMac soon and firewire DSP maybe my only choice.
The Liquid Mix is amazing, compliments the UAD1 really nicely. Emulations are spot on as far as I can tell (my hearing isnt exactly golden after 10 yrs of exposure to loud live rock music). Having the most fun trying out all the different compressors on the same drumloop. Best investment Ive made so far this year, beside the shiny new KRK VXT4s!

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

The future is native, the Future is FPGA

I know its not like bread & butter to suddenly port the algos to a new and totally different DSP chip, but hey it has been loooooong time (years) since UA could have done it and still no can do.

I think its dead obvious a new more powerful, by at least a factor of 8, board is needed since the best plugs are so dsp hungry and on large projects one or 2 instances wont do the job, and buying an extra PCI MAGMA thing is not the way to go in a world where more and more one wants the least amount of junk getting in the way in the studio.

So either bring on a new decent and powerful board with DSP chips not built from scratch to be a videocard but for audio work, or even better, wake up to the native world that is already on the 8 core range by default for us Mac Pro users, and make all those tasty UA algos to AU (UA, AU ?? thats funny) or VST.

One good thing I think, would be someone start betting in the FPGA field rather than DSP for Audio. For the little I know about it, FPGA is the only thing more promissing than native processing in the future, and the proof of that is companies like starbridgesystems.com already providing solid products on what they call Hypercomputing, that basicly is a technology where the hardware re-programs itself billions of times per second to become optimal for the task it's requested to do at any given moment. Dont get me wrong, I mean, this is DSP on steroids, and their VIVA software makes FPGA programming supposely easy. FPGA technology enables also future proof hardware via simple "firmware" upgrades.

I know that RME is one of the companies already using this kind of technology on some of their top products, but not yet as in heavy DSP like purposes. The term Hypercomputing speaks for it self..

Give yourself a break and explore the FPGA horizon with an overview on Starbridge Systems Inc. - Viva makes programming FPGA environments absurdly easy . Let me know your thoughts about it here and if you think also that FPGA could be a very serious contendant as a future audio processing technology to replace the old and dusty DSP thing.

I think Native and FPGA are the way to go.

My 2 billion dollars.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Arrow

I booted up my PowerMac G4 today, which has an UAD-1 card. I mainly work on my MacBook Pro these days, so there's been some time since last time I used these fantastic plugs. I've got all of the plugins for the UAD-1, and it sure is easy to max out just one card. I'd really like to have these plugs on my MacBook Pro, but considering the witty cost of a Magma expansion chassis, and the lack of Magma-distributors in Norway, I'm certainly not going that route. I'd also have to invest in a couple of more UAD-1 cards, so this leaves me waiting for an UAD-2. It's a tad sad, but Universal Audio's current solution just doesn't have any bang for the buck for me at the moment, especially considering I'm currently using a MBP as my main machine (I travel a lot, and play a lot live).

Last edited by pabloman; 12th February 2008 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: Norwenglish spelling
Old 13th February 2008
Gear Head

I vaguely remember being told in an engineering lecture some time last decade that dedicated dsps can do maths roughly an order of magnitude (ie 10) times faster then an equivalent multi purpose processor, but given the age of these chips, i'd imagine that yr generic cpu has more then caught that up by now. So 4 UADs might still have more grunt then your 2 GHz core duo but i'd consider it unlikely that there are any uad plugins that couldn't run even one instance native due to lack of processing power.

There are probably a host of other reasons, but i'd imagine most of the work in designing these plugins is in the modelling stage rather then coding so probably not simply due to the effort in switching platforms. Maybe they're working on some sort of GPGPU based thing, the current crop of video cards do silly fast DSP.

Having said all that i did do rather badly at engineering so don't take my word as gospel

fpgas eh.. that brings back all sorts of horrible memories..
Old 13th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Especially since they've already done it. The TDM versions are about 4 or 5 years old already. I personally can't vouch wether they were "ported" or rewritten for TDM, but I don't recall any complaints. I also forgot to mention that 2 plugins from UA(La2a/1176n)have been availible for Rolands VS8F-3 expansion cards for a while now also which is based on some type of Motorola DSP chip(PPC?), so the GPU excuse is wearing quite thin at this point to say the least. Since TDM and PoCo plugs have been cracked from time to time, my guess is their working with someone on a new unique CPU/GPU with another company(IBM/Motorola/Intel?)for protection and quality reasons, and that takes time for all sorts of reasons(patents etc.).
Seems like it was a PIII 1GHz PC they were originally running natively on at the trade shows. IIRC, it could run ONE instance of LA-2A and couldn't load the 1176LN.
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have been a UAD user since the beginning, and have made many great sounding recordings with their plugs. Now, with all the choices of comps, EQs, and general tools, I just don't need to cover all my mixes with their plugs. While I will be the first to say that they make quality products, my mixes just don't depend on oodles of their plugs. So, if they make a more powerful card, will I buy it? Sure. If not, I won't lose any sleep, or any work. Move on, people. The peeps at Uaudio obviously know that tons of people are clamoring for either a native version or a more powerful DSP solution. At least credit them with that - after, all, they know their ****. Use what you have for now. As with all businesses, either they will grow with the market, or they will go out of business. I know which one will probably happen. The last 50 years have been a pretty good indicator.
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

The Cube: Fairlight CC-1 is built on an FPGA... Welcome To Fairlight - Provider of Professional Audio Production Solutions and indeed absolutley powerfull!!!
Old 14th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
The Cube: Fairlight CC-1 is built on an FPGA... Welcome To Fairlight - Provider of Professional Audio Production Solutions and indeed absolutley powerfull!!!
oh man! indeed I totally forgot about the CC1 ! I was following those guys as they introduced that technology, and was looking foward to see how many native developers would become their premium partners or warever they call it to port their algos to native CC1 code or warever.

I know serato and a few more already were on the boat, but I really loved to see crews like URS, EMI, PSP, NI etc jumping in as well.

Now that you refreshed my memory, im gonna go check out their site to see how things are developing on the FPGA front.

Let's see if some of the big players come up with new solutions FPGA based.. Man what if all this UAD2 talk will turnout to be pointless? I mean just imagine if after all this, UA is actually presenting the new UAD technology FPGA based?

Dear god let us dream..

Cheers!
Old 15th February 2008
Gear Nut

[quote=arimaka;1762559]I am a loyal UA user... I have had my cards since my G4, moved to G5 and I have always LOVED the sound of the plugins...

Are u deaf ???
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

Is it true ? There is an uad-2 in devellopment ?!
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote from the Winter Namm 2008 program handout @ Frankfurt.

"Empirical Labs’ first software plug-in, the Fatso for UAD2."

http://www.***********/universal-audio-uad-2/

Shurely shome mishtake.

ns
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

I´m getting crazy.
Should i buy the newest plugs cause i like them...yes
Can i use them...no
Lets rent B.A. Barrakus, or hoe hte A-TEam genious is called, and get the UAudio guys back to the practical life...
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

its funny that the first post about this happened on 10th November 2004, 04:44 PM more than 3 years ago... you figure UA would get the hint..huh?
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticStudios View Post
its funny that the first post about this happened on 10th November 2004, 04:44 PM more than 3 years ago... you figure UA would get the hint..huh?

Thats incredible. I cant believe that.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticStudios View Post
Ha ha that made me lough too yesterday when I did a little uad-2 search...
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Indeed, no rumors whatsoever about an UAD-2.
I was expecting (hoping for) an updated version for over a year already tho heh

I don't get it: the UAD-1 is based around a cheap graphics processor, should be fairly easy to update it with a newer compatible graphics chip without raising the cost. Those chips became lotsa cheaper the last year.

Then again, if you can sell 2 cards instead of 1 ...

When buying an UAD-1 you pay for the plugins, not for the DSP power on the card. Wouldn't be surprised if the card itself doesn't cost UAudio more then $100.
Now when you buy 2 cards for the additional DSP power, you have also payed for (a number of) the plugins twice.
Better business model huh?
And that's from four years ago...

...same old song...
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Addict

I just hope that any new version will be backwards compatible.
Old 15th March 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrillinkin1 View Post
I have the wintfast S800 and 3DVD-1000!!
What does this mean ??

Old 16th March 2008
Gear Maniac

UAD TDM plugs on PPC with PT 7.4 - they are still working...

Hi,

I don't know if this has been confirmend somewhere in this tread already, but I am running an Pro Toos HD Accel for PCIe on a PPC Quad Processor G5 and I am using the UAD TDM plug-in's (no UAD card involved). They seem to work fine. I am on OSX 10.4.11 (though only upto 10.4.9 is officially supported by Digi) and 7.4 CS3. I have not done extensive testing, but so far so good. I am using the last version of the UAD TDM plug-ins that was released. They can still be downloaded from the uaudio site here Universal Audio | Support | Pro Tools | Contact

These were never ported for the Intel Mac so (I believe)this is definitely a no go ... but PPC on 10.4 with PT 7.4

Mark
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search