The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I wasn't waiting on a UAD-2, like some of you sorry bastards.

Instead, in the last few days, I "battled" it out against another (unknown) studio for a shot of mixing a 20-song album. The client gave me a shot and another studio a shot, and I used my **obsolete** 4 cards and plugins (I have all of them except the last 2 new ones, haven't had a chance to audition them yet) and got a call on Saturday from the client who said that his camp had all agreed my mix was better than the other guy they checked out.

Hehe, just wanted to let all of you haters know, that for many of us, these cards are not at all obsolete (doesn't that mean that "no longer used" or something similar?)

P.S., the new "mini" Duende will be $799 and only comes with the channel strip, and is good for only 16 tracks, so you'll have to pay another $399 or so for the bus comp (had the Duende, ditched that because of the headaches on my system); I don't know how anyone considers this "the way to go" but hey, to each their own.

Just wanted to post on behalf of many users who are putting these cards to good use, who probably are working instead of bitching on the internet (I've got a cold, so that's the reason why I'm not working on projects with my 4 cards and plugs).
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post

Instead, in the last few days, I "battled" it out against another (unknown) studio for a shot of mixing a 20-song album. The client gave me a shot and another studio a shot, and I used my **obsolete** 4 cards and plugins (I have all of them except the last 2 new ones, haven't had a chance to audition them yet) and got a call on Saturday from the client who said that his camp had all agreed my mix was better than the other guy they checked out.

Hehe, just wanted to let all of you haters know, that for many of us, these cards are not at all obsolete (doesn't that mean that "no longer used" or something similar?)

P.S., the new "mini" Duende will be $799 and only comes with the channel strip, and is good for only 16 tracks, so you'll have to pay another $399 or so for the bus comp (had the Duende, ditched that because of the headaches on my system); I don't know how anyone considers this "the way to go" but hey, to each their own.

Just wanted to post on behalf of many users who are putting these cards to good use, who probably are working instead of bitching on the internet (I've got a cold, so that's the reason why I'm not working on projects with my 4 cards and plugs).
Why do UAD users get soooooooo defensive when people point out how underpowered the cards are, and that maybe now, there are better options than a card that's 8 years old?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Why do UAD users get soooooooo defensive when people point out how underpowered the cards are, and that maybe now, there are better options than a card that's 8 years old?

Well because we have simply not heard better options to the plug-ins found on the UAD-1

XJ
Old 22nd January 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
Well because we have simply not heard better options to the plug-ins found on the UAD-1

XJ
No one has criticized the quality of the plugins themselves. But it's perfectly valid to demand a more powerful card/system, given how many new plugins UA has put out since the advent of the UAD1.

It sure would be nice to be able to run all of those great sounding UAD plugs at the same time, but for those of us who don't have room for 4 cards, that ain't happening.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I was lucky enough to get into NAMM this Saturday and I made a straight line for the UA booth. I spoke to two employees, who were very interested in what I had to say as their customer and very nice guys to boot, and of course they were extremely cagey about the UAD2. I basically got zilch out of them, other than a promise that they were looking into other solutions... oh well, I still love using what I have. I trust they'll get it worked out.
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:

Where are you getting all that from? I love and use my 4 UAD cards everyday. But I would still like one powerful new card. Having to use 4 cards can cause all sorts of issues...IRQ conflicts, these 4 cards take up a gig of addressable memory space, load balancing issues that would be solved by one powerful unpartitioned dsp chip. etc.

UAD had nothing to do with you getting the job over the next guy. I would dare to guess it was your "skills". Just like if Andy Wallace went up against you and your UAD plugs only using the built in Fruity Loops plugins I wonder who's mix would be better?

heh
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
UAD had nothing to do with you getting the job over the next guy. I would dare to guess it was your "skills".
C'mon man, of course it was skill, but in this particular case, let me tell you how UAD-1 plugins helped me get the gig:

2 of the MCs on this track were recorded "lightly" through and LA2A at the producer's studio, the 3rd MC sent his .wav tracks to the producer via sendspace; the producer wanted to have all 3 MCs sound similar (this is part of the skill, I understand that, as I asked important questions about the track and how it was recorded, especially what gear was used and what the producer had in mind for the feel of the track). I used an LA2A plugin on the 3rd MC's vocals (they were clean, no processing at all, thank goodness). I don't think there is anything else besides an UAD-1 LA2A that sounds as similar as the hardware, definitely not that Bomb Factory stuff.

So me personally, I'm very loyal to tools like this, especially when the company is as great as UA is, on every level. These guys have a true musician-like feel as a company that is only right, for people like myself that use their tools and get paid for the work we do, to stand up for them when they're getting ****ted on, probably from people who aren't even customers.
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
C'mon man, of course it was skill, but in this particular case, let me tell you how UAD-1 plugins helped me get the gig:

2 of the MCs on this track were recorded "lightly" through and LA2A at the producer's studio, the 3rd MC sent his .wav tracks to the producer via sendspace; the producer wanted to have all 3 MCs sound similar (this is part of the skill, I understand that, as I asked important questions about the track and how it was recorded, especially what gear was used and what the producer had in mind for the feel of the track). I used an LA2A plugin on the 3rd MC's vocals (they were clean, no processing at all, thank goodness). I don't think there is anything else besides an UAD-1 LA2A that sounds as similar as the hardware, definitely not that Bomb Factory stuff.

So me personally, I'm very loyal to tools like this, especially when the company is as great as UA is, on every level. These guys have a true musician-like feel as a company that is only right, for people like myself that use their tools and get paid for the work we do, to stand up for them when they're getting ****ted on, probably from people who aren't even customers.
You are missing the point. I don't see anyone ****ting on the company for the most part. A good majority would just like a new card. Just like you yourself periodically update your computer. Are you still using the same machine you were using back in 2001 when you first got your UAD? WHy not? Does it not serve the same purpose today it did back then? I rest my case. In the same token I would like to see UA update their dsp card to be more modern and efficient, and futureproof. Of course it is still usable as it is, becoming increasingly more problematic though. Hell I am still using two Lexicon Nuverb cards made back in 1993. I think they are great sounding but I wouldn't hesitate in getting/desiring a modern updated equivalent from Lexicon and have already asked them, but that doesn't mean I am slamming Lexicon in doing so..
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

What anumus said +1!!
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
UAD had nothing to do with you getting the job over the next guy. I would dare to guess it was your "skills". Just like if Andy Wallace went up against you and your UAD plugs only using the built in Fruity Loops plugins I wonder who's mix would be better?

heh
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Nut

audioMIDI.com : Blowouts

if you scroll down, you'll notice that the UAD-1 packages are "must go" items... do they know something?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where are you getting all that from? I love and use my 4 UAD cards everyday. But I would still like one powerful new card. Having to use 4 cards can cause all sorts of issues...IRQ conflicts, these 4 cards take up a gig of addressable memory space, load balancing issues that would be solved by one powerful unpartitioned dsp chip. etc.

heh
I used 2x and then 3x UAD cards with nearly all the plugs for 4 years but I bailed a year ago. I got a Mac Pro to run Apogee Symphony and this only left 2 PCIe slots.

I did run out of power with 3 cards occassionally so going down to 2 cards was not really an option I wanted to explore. I had tried a magma chassis with some success in the past but it was a pretty unelegant solution IMO and caused the odd major show stopper!

Having multiple cards for me ALWAYS caused some problems, particulaly load balancing.

I would still be a UAD customer today if they had brought out a 4x power card. Of course it would be nice to have more power but IMHO the power is not so much the issue as the ammount of real estate and extra problems multi card systems generate.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I agree with you 100% re taking up too much real-estate... That was always one of the main problems for me as well. 2 cards was the limit for me due to the other spare slot on my G5 being taken by my sound-card.
I now own a mac-book pro so I have my fingers crossed they'll release a express-card system. Something better than the Xpander anywayz....
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Of course they will release a UAD2 in the near future (probably 2009) but in the meantime, I'm more excited about the new plugs they are going to release than a UAD2...I've got 3 cards in a G5 and I'm happy to work with the so-called limitation of this system for now, as it as been said before there's now real alternative anyway...UA released the most credible emulations so far and in my experience there's no equivalent in either a native solution or the Duende format. Either you accept this fact or you decide to work with the limitation of another system like duende or native plugs (which is for me a compromise sound wise)
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishMedia View Post
audioMIDI.com : Blowouts

if you scroll down, you'll notice that the UAD-1 packages are "must go" items... do they know something?
I don't think so. You'll notice that Duende is on this list also.

There is a response to this issue from UA Marketing over at the UA forum.

UAD Forums :: View topic - Marketing of UA speaks out --
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloBeddoe View Post
I don't think so. You'll notice that Duende is on this list also.

There is a response to this issue from UA Marketing over at the UA forum.

UAD Forums :: View topic - Marketing of UA speaks out --
The internet just ate itself
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Does anyone know how many instances the tdm protools version of the uad plugins you could run on each dsp chip?
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
The internet just ate itself
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
You're telling me that a video card is more powerful than a PC or Mac?
Yes!!!

taken from an old artice

"BionicFX announced a technology for music production that turns NVIDIA video cards into audio effects processors. Audio Video Exchange (AVEX) converts digital audio into graphics data, and then performs effect calculations using the 3D architecture of the GPU. The latest video cards from NVIDIA are capable of more than 40 gigaflops of processing power compared to less than 6 gigaflops on Intel and AMD CPUs."

As of today videocards still has more power than a Intel or AMD processor.

Jakes
Old 23rd January 2008
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
Does anyone know how many instances the tdm protools version of the uad plugins you could run on each dsp chip?
UA WebZine "Digi-Talk" July 04 | New developments in Universal Audio's TDM and RTAS plug-ins

On one HD Accel chip: One 1176LN or 8 LA2As or 4 Mono Pultecs
so
on one HD Accel card: 9 1176LNs or 72 LA2As or 36 Mono Pultecs
on one UAD Card: 8 1176LNs or 20 LA2As or 12 Mono Pultecs

For comparison: URS Classic Console Strip Pro runs 5 instances on one HD Accel chip so 45 instances on one HD Accel card.

Considering the fact that almost all TDM Plug Ins have been or will be ported to native AU (of which many instances can be run on a native system) I think UA is just making cheap excuses when they say only their cards are powerful enough to run their plug ins.
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Addict

exactly what I was getting at...

So the 1176LN uses a whole dsp chip. Are there many other tdm plugins that do this?
Especially interesting are those with rtas or vst equivalent..
Old 23rd January 2008
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
So the 1176LN uses a whole dsp chip.
"One instance per chip" just means that there is no capacity for a second instance. So one instance might as well just use 51% of the processing power of one chip (That´s why the ratios 1176LN/LA2A differ so much on the systems). And the fact that @44,1kHz one instance uses one chip on either a HD Accel card, a HD card or a MIX card sugests that UA doesn´t do a good job on porting the algorythmes and using different processors efficently IMO.

Other TDM plug ins that have equivalents in the native world: URS, Sonnox, Altiverb...
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Addict

Oh I see.

Well I think that in any case, it proves that there is no voodoo super computing happening on the uad card and that modern multicore cpu's would have no trouble running these plugs if they were ever ported.

Goes to show that it's best to take what marketing folk say with a grain of salt.

Thats putting it nicely aswell.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
It's about the same thing as a video card for crying out loud. You're telling me that a video card is more powerful than a PC or Mac? They want to hardware. Once the software is on it's own, then everyone will have it on a torrent and the cat is out of the bag.
Yes.

Here is the deal:

1. The processors on those cards are more powerful than you realize
2. The folks at UAD-1 said at the time, that their code was writen specifically for that that card, and takes advantage of it in ways that could not normally be done.
3. Host CPU's have to run the OS, all the disk i/o, routing memory, networking, well... everything that happens in the computer. With the UAD-1... all it has to do is run the plugins.

I will admit this conversation was about 5 years or so ago, and I am vauge on the details of it; but I have been working with the guys at UA for a long time now, and they are some of the SHARPEST in the business. They don't spew BS. Ever.

I agree with animus... I think we all love the company and just want an opportunity to buy more stuff from them.... assuming it's more modern and will allow us to run more plugs.

UA does tend to be late with stuff... but when it finally arrives... it works pretty darn well, and is REALLY cool.

jmtc.... of course!
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

@crypticglobe

yeah, that´s the point.

and the other is, that the more modern and faster a cpu is, the more it produces calculating failures. and it´s very difficult to code these possibilities of failures and concentrate on the quality/sound. uad plugs sound awesome and there´s no real competitor on the native side by now. sure other plugs are not bad, but some of the ua plugs are special to me.

uad1 as card itseld is rock solid. the load balancing issue can be solved on the programming side.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Only on Gearslutz 11 pages about a non product!
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
What non-product? Where have you seen it?? Do tell!
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingduck View Post
What non-product? Where have you seen it?? Do tell!
Please add me to the list for info!

(OK - stop it now)
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
That MUST mean something... ie there's a REAL demand... hope UA will take notice!
Old 28th January 2008

are we there yet?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search