The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bomb Factory...credit where credit is due...
Old 6th April 2005
Lives for gear

Bomb Factory...credit where credit is due...

My (long winded) review of Bomb Factory's Voce Spin plugin....

I was working on a track last night, and I needed a Leslie-cab sound (or at least some modulation). I tried everything at my disposal, which included several plugin flangers, choruses, then I got out my Roto-vibe and a Small Stone, thinking that getting "in the ballpark" would get the idea across.

I ended up buying that Bomb Factory Voce Spin plugin (second hand...$150 as opposed to $395) and it absolutely wowed me... Now it's NOT a Leslie cabinet, and I'm still jonesing for one, or for the Mesa Revolver even, but for a plugin, this thing sounds DAMN good. We ended up playing with the sounds on this thing for two and a half hours! It's got a slow and a fast setting on each sound, and the presets are:

122 (large pulley)
122(mono...top and bottom miced)
122 (small pulley)
122 (wide stereo)
21H
Foam Drum
Memphis (bottom unplugged)
Phaser
Rover Medium to Fast
Rover Slow to Fast
Rover Slow to Medium
Small Pulley
Steppenwolf
Watery Guitar

So you start with the preset, then select "slow", "off" or "fast". In "off" position, you're still going through the amp, and the rotor (allegedly) stops where it stops, including away from the mic...I have to experiment to see if there are really different stopping points, since I didn't read that part until I'd already shut down for the night. On a couple of settings, the horn stopped at a fairly muffled point, and on others it stopped more or less pointing at the mic. Could be the same every time for each preset, or perhaps they've got some randomization in there. When you switch from slow to fast, the rotor gradually comes up to speed, in fact, same thing when you make any speed change. The "off" position sounds really sweet; I put it on a vocal track, and it's real "color-y", in fact, I'd have to say that it sounds like an old tube amp. This is absolutely the most fun I've had with a plugin since I put the UAD Fairchild on some vocal tracks.

I should mention that on something like a guitar, it's too much to use the Voce plugin on the guitar track, since there's no mix control. Instead, I used a send to a stereo Auxiliary track and then opened the plugin in the aux channel(you can't NOT use it in stereo...although on most of the settings I pulled the pan pots in more than halfway.)

I don't usually think Bomb Factory makes the best plugins; I've tried several of their compressors, and even for plugin compressors, I feel like they're not useable. For perspective, I use the whole mess of UAD plugins, the McDSP compressors, some URS EQ's, and the Sony Oxford bundle. When it's come to the question of Bomb Factory plugins, I don't always have the nicest things to say() so just for the record, this one is excellent!

BTW, Spin comes bundled with the Voce Chorus & Vibrato plugin...didn't have a chance to even open it...I'll report if it's anything to write home about...

Old 6th April 2005
Lives for gear

So I just checked this out...when switched to off, the horn most definitely DOES stop in different places every time. I was able to get a really cool range of tones by switching from "slow" to "off". It takes a few tries until you get something you like...sure it would be nice if you could reach in there and turn it to the spot where you want it, but it's kind of cool this way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search