The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
popping noise coming from speakers, even with no audio playing or low volume Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

popping noise coming from speakers, even with no audio playing or low volume

what is this horrible popping noise? it started eight weeks ago. i didn't change anything about my setup. i even bought a quality power supply a while back. i have the big yamaha speakers and they keep randomly popping, one side at a time. i have the latest drivers for my emu card and high quality cables.

the popping noise is the same level whether my mix is low volume, high volume (harder to hear it then, but still audible) and even when no music is playing!

help...

p.s. could this be an electric problem? i didn't pay my bill last month, could they be supplying me with "bad power" or am i just paranoid
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Unhappy popy then crashy

ok that "bad power" part was a joke.

but seriously, i just tried to use my computer today and it crashed twice, with no major programs running.

the weirdest thing about the crash(es) was that the fan was still running but the computer shut off. i couldn't turn it back on till i unplugged it from the wall.

what's going on?!? do i need to replace an part in my PC?

thanks in advance
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

i meant a bought a good "surge protector" maybe i need to replace the power supply in my PC?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

check your clocking
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

That happened to me. Make sure all the power on the surge protecter is properly seated. Is there something else like lights on the surge protector? Change the iec cable. Remove the surge protector from the chain. I had a bad surge protector. I know the exact popping your talking about. Its not clocking. Clocking pops can are affected by volume knobs. These are probably loud & scary, right? I thought my speakers were blown, but it was power. It could be caused by something else thats plugged into the strip.
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Head

fixed the problems. thought i'd share:

computer stopped crashing when i replaced the power supply. the more quiet fan doesn't hurt either

speakers still popping... problem appears to be with the soundcard playback
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Head

hi this is a message for the tech support people at EMU helping me fix this soundcard... yes it's me.
Old 8th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafel View Post
what is this horrible popping noise? it started two weeks ago. i didn't change anything about my setup. i even bought a quality power supply a while back. i have the big yamaha speakers and they keep randomly popping, one side at a time. i have the latest drivers for my emu card and high quality cables.

the popping noise is the same level whether my mix is low volume, high volume (harder to hear it then, but still audible) and even when no music is playing!

help...

p.s. could this be an electric problem? i didn't pay my bill last month, could they be supplying me with "bad power" or am i just paranoid
While it would be technically possible to do something to degrade your power supply before it gets to you, it's beyond highly unlikely. You get immediate and unambiguous results if you simply cut power to the customer in question. heh They're not going to try to gaslight you. (Antiquated cultural reference relates to the 1944 thriller, Gaslight, set in the Victorian era in which Charles Boyer as a controlling husband tries to drive Ingrid Bergman crazy by changing the level of the gas lighting in their house and insisting it's exactly the same as always, as well as a lot of other tricks. But who's the crazy one, eh? Have you seen Ingrid Bergman, c. 1944? My gawsh, she's luminescent! [Er, no puns intended.] How crazy would you have to be to muck with being married to someone like her? heh )

Anyhow, first thing to do is to try to isolate the problem. Disconnect all inputs from your power amp and see if you still get the popping. If so, looks like your amp is not happy. Is it old? Old or heat damaged electronic components (primarily capacitors) can cause such problems. If, OTOH, the problem goes away when you disconnect your chain from the input and returns when you reconnect it, you have good evidence the problem lies there. Continue trying to isolate the problem by removing or rerouting gear, if possible.

BTW... pops and crackles from a soundcard can be from a couple of sources: trying to sync digital audio between devices set at different sampling rates, for instance, or insufficient hardware or monitor buffering (although the latter buffering issues typically might be more noticeable when signal is present.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search