The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools automation ??? DAW Software
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Protools automation ???

Hi all

I did a quick reserch and looked in the reference guide but couln't find anything.

I'm looking for a way to change the level of a track without changing the automations. There's a function in Sonar called the Offset mode where you can just do that.

Any thoughts ??

-Alxi-
Old 18th August 2008
You can use the Trim tool to do this - Bring up the volume automation envelope/line, and click on it at the end of the song (after all of the automation breakpoints) - It should select the automation over the length of the track and allow you to increase or decrease the overall volume while leaving your automation edits intact.

Hope that's what you're looking for.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Maniac

If you're using a Pro Tools HD system, there's an automation mode called "Trim" which will do exactly what you want. Once you have trimmed the level to where you want it to be, you can choose "Coalesce Trim Automation" to commit it to the edit window. If you're on LE, then you'll have to go into the edit window, select across your existing automation and then switch to the Trim tool (looks like a bracket [ or ] ) to raise or lower the automation. You may need to add anchor points outside of your selection.
Old 18th August 2008

Awesome - I had the same query (among about a billion others)
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys.

I'm In PT LE so i will use the trim function

-Alxi-
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

You can also just highlight the whole track while viewing the volume automation and bump it up there, or use the flat bar tool? (not sure what it's called, but the quick key is "apple + 2", and go to the end of your track, after any/all automation points and pull it up there. As long as there's no automation points after it, it will pull everything up.

Also don't forget that you can change it by .1 db increments if you hold down the "apple" key.

I'm pretty sure that the actual "trim mode" of automation is only in PTHD, and not LE.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I guess i could also control the volume with the last plugin' output but would that be bad gain staging ?? I Guess not but could someone confirm this please.

-Alxi-
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I guess i could also control the volume with the last plugin' output but would that be bad gain staging ?? I Guess not but could someone confirm this please.

-Alxi-
This was my thought exactly...
Old 18th August 2008

OK folks - how do I erase several automation events without Alt click on every dot?

OR - how do I undo all automation on atrack (i.e. not switch it off - but undo)

Thanks
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Plug ins/other/trim
You can move the trim lever by 6 or 12 db. without affecting your automation.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

make sure "volume" is selected in automation enable window (or whatever automation you're trimming, works for plugin automation, etc.).

have track display volume (or whatever automation you're trimming, works for plugin automation, etc.)

select region

pull down to desired level of change, ie, move channel fader 3 db down in edit window

hit:
shift command / (backstroke) at the same time... viola... all automation moves trimmed. works in any PT version.

note: if you havent written automation, and you just want to use this for pulling a section down a bit, make sure you write an "anchor" on the track first or you'll merely lose your original value whne you pull the channel fader down to perform function.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
OK folks - how do I erase several automation events without Alt click on every dot?

OR - how do I undo all automation on atrack (i.e. not switch it off - but undo)

Thanks
highlight the points you want erased and hit delete
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Plug ins/other/trim
You can move the trim lever by 6 or 12 db. without affecting your automation.

Yes good tip
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
make sure "volume" is selected in automation enable window (or whatever automation you're trimming, works for plugin automation, etc.).

have track display volume (or whatever automation you're trimming, works for plugin automation, etc.)

select region

pull down to desired level of change, ie, move channel fader 3 db down in edit window

hit:
shift command / (backstroke) at the same time... viola... all automation moves trimmed. works in any PT version.

note: if you havent written automation, and you just want to use this for pulling a section down a bit, make sure you write an "anchor" on the track first or you'll merely lose your original value whne you pull the channel fader down to perform function.
Sorry i tried what you said but it doesn't work

-Alxi-
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
how do I undo all automation on atrack (i.e. not switch it off - but undo)

Thanks
Select the area you want to clear, then go to, EDIT / CLEAR SPECIAL / ALL AUTOMATION

Old 19th August 2008

Thanks OKden and Frenchc! thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search