Ta

You've got to be kidding right?
Old 13th March 2005
Gear Nut

my mom uses one to press grilled sandwiches on the stove
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

888|24 A/D/A

A quality external clock will help it for sure. Most people believe the D/A to be better than the A/D.
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

Ha Ha Ha Ha tutt
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
You've got to be kidding right?
Run Away from them as fast as you can! dfegad 888/24
Old 13th March 2005
Gear Head

So what ballpark are they in. Are they as good as Benchmark or Lavry Gold converters.

Are these world class sounding converters.

If these are my only options to have 24 bit conversion for my PT and using the analogue outs and ins of it as inserts, sends and returns. Will it be good enough.

Il be slaving this to my Mytek clock from my stereo AD convertor. By the way to which Mytek has very poor customer support I must add. When I first enquired about getting a Mytek stereo AD, their email responses and customer support was eager and quick. A few months down the track, after I got one. I enquire about the manual and other documentations they promised to send me, so far they have ignored all my emails. Typical. Small company, small service.

Ta
Old 13th March 2005
Gear Nut

well... no they aren't up there with Lavry or Mytek, but clocking them with the mytek will improve things.

888's are seen are pretty damn terrible in comparison to todays standards. Many people actually rate the 002's converters as better.

If you can afford something better, i'd go that route. perhaps an apogee Rosetta 800 with mix card, or if its a little out of the budget maybe an Apogee AD8000...

888's definately made there share of hit records, but they are far from todays standard of quality conversion.
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

FWIW,

Converters have come a long way since the 888/24's - IMO, get something else, even an AD8000 or similar and call it a day. If you're into new converters, there's lots, but legacy HW for PT is poor by today's standards. Unless someone is giving you and unreal deal, or giving it away, go a notch higher: you'll thank yourself later. I did...
Old 13th March 2005

I do masses of work on them, I make records/sound design/film and TV music... etc etc etc.. They are not like having a lavry or prism (which I still love btw), but with great front end, you can can get fantastic results.
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

my buddy who works at ocean way says nigel godrich still uses protools systems with 888s... and those radiohead albums sound pretty terrible.
seriously, everyone takes this converter thing way too seriously. It's a recorder, put good sounds in and you'll have a good recording.
-brian
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

Well, it is definately easier to follow the internet hype and dfegad on the 888/24 ... no effort there and for some it actually might seem cool to do so while actually making a good sound with them might take some knowledge and skill. But, like some people pointed out. It definately can be done and placed in it's own timezone, the 888/24 was a good device. Not top notch but there was definately worse.

One thing that helped me at that time was external clocking.
Old 13th March 2005
Gear Head

I have the 882/20, and I am wondering if it's worth it for me to get an 888/24 just to use the analogue in and outs as send, returns and inserts for my outboard in my PT using 24 bit A/D/A conversions from the 888/24. I am currently using the 882/20 analogue ins and outs as inserts, sends and returns for my outboard and was wondering if getting the 888/24 will improve the quality of my mixes.I need another interface though and my budget was just to get another 882/20 but if the 888/24 is worth it, I might just pick one up instead.

Ta
Old 13th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeo
I have the 882/20, and I am wondering if it's worth it for me to get an 888/24 just to use the analogue in and outs as send, returns and inserts for my outboard in my PT using 24 bit A/D/A conversions from the 888/24. I am currently using the 882/20 analogue ins and outs as inserts, sends and returns for my outboard and was wondering if getting the 888/24 will improve the quality of my mixes.I need another interface though and my budget was just to get another 882/20 but if the 888/24 is worth it, I might just pick one up instead.

Ta

imho yes ... all the way.
Old 13th March 2005
Gear Addict

for me, as it looks like it will be FFFaaarrrrrrrrr off until i can/will/want to buy HD... , i will still be on 888s for while. plus with 6.4.1 i still get +12 faders and 24P framerate (23.976).... but have to us a Sync IO instead of a USD for that framerate...

they dont sound That Bad. if they did all of the records that have been made on them would have been done so on other things. Other External clocks DO help. Even a crappy USD clock will Help.. oddly.
Personally I am looking into getting either an Avid888( 3 step LED Meters) or digi 888, both are 16 bit, but 18 bit when on a system.... for use as insert modules. BUT Using them for their 24bit AES.... why not.. $200-300 USD and you have 8 channels of 24 bit AES I/O.

Oh and the 96IO..... those are not the same converters as on the 192, and just clocked lower. they are CONSUME GRADE ala MAudio quality. go do the research. the 888/24 at 48k/24 sounds better than a 96io at 48k/24.

Don't listen to the people on here flaming the 888s. they are very hypocritical. why.. because they will rave on and on about how good Album X by Group Z sounds Sooooooo good, it leaves them in awe. but they are not thinking about that fact that many of these albums were tracked though 888s and output though 888s to a deck for routing/summing/mixing.

get the 888.
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Head

"both are 16 bit, but 18 bit when on a system"
do u mean when connected digitally, u get 18 bits

"BUT Using them for their 24bit AES.... why not.. $200-300 USD and you have 8 channels of 24 bit AES I/O. "
I was thinking of using the analogue inputs and outputs, not use the digital to digital section.

"Oh and the 96IO..... those are not the same converters as on the 192, and just clocked lower. they are CONSUME GRADE ala MAudio quality. go do the research. the 888/24 at 48k/24 sounds better than a 96io at 48k/24."
The 96i/o, are you talking about the 96i/o HD interface, not my Mytek?
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Wish Digi would have made the 192 or 96 I/O interface work in a standalone mode like the 888/24 did. Would have been great.
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
Wish Digi would have made the 192 or 96 I/O interface work in a standalone mode like the 888/24 did. Would have been great.

ditto... its one of the first things i enquired about. Nice converters at a reasonable price...
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Addict

with the "16 bit" 888s which are the digi 888 (has the 888 without the red flag in the corner) and the Avid 888 ( its white and had only 3 leds for the meters).....
they can be used in standaslo mode..... power it up and just plug into it. no cable going to a card or anything. in that mode you get 16 bit conversion.

in normal usewhen connected to a PT card witha cable) with a PT system you get 18bits. i dont know why.

Yes Odeo, i was refering to the Digi 96I/O... worry not, the Myteks rock!

err sorry for typos....i meant "CONSUMER". i have bad compound carpal tunnel and tendonitis in my right hand and arm.. so i type with left only....

Odeo for you situation i would not suggest the cheaper 888s, as you need analogue i/o. go with a normal 888/24. they can be had for about $550 USD these days on Ebay.
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

They were crap when released, and even worse by todays standards.
Old 14th March 2005

that was a helpful and informative post.. thank you
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Head

can you describe why their worst in todays standard. Are the converters make the highs brittle, you lose the bottom end compared to the original sound... etc. What is wrong with them. Can it be fixed with a good eq. Does it add something bad to the original sound source.

ta
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
can you describe why their worst in todays standard. Are the converters make the highs brittle, you lose the bottom end compared to the original sound... etc. What is wrong with them. Can it be fixed with a good eq. Does it add something bad to the original sound source.

ta

We use them at work doing voiceovers. And even then the quality in richness of the sound is very different when listening to the sinal going in, and what comes out of the 888.

But, if what yu want to hear that these are great converters to justifybuying them, then by all means, go right ahead.

I'll repeat. they are and have always been substandard converters.
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Guru
I did an extensive A/B between the Apogee AD 8000 and the 192. (And the 192 was a step up from the 888) It was not close. The Apogee was the clear winner in every category. By a lot.
Does that mean the 888s suck? No, it just means there are MUCH better options, if you can afford them.
Old 14th March 2005
Quote:

ta

Their biggest drawback is when you stack a bunch of tracks recorded through them.

I always get a headache and get irritated when mixing on a 9000J with 888/24's.

Too many stacked strident freq's.
Old 15th March 2005
Gear Addict

Let's just put things in perspective here - convertors are probably the least important point in the signal path, after the player/singer, the mic, the room, the mic pre, the compressor , the EQ and the engineer. All of these will affect the sound much more than the convertor.

Yes, I prefer Prisms over 888/24's, but if I had the money to buy an 8-way Prism, as much as I love them, I would probably buy a better mic, or mic pre, or compressor, or EQ first ....
Old 16th March 2005
Lives for gear

I always felt that the sound quality was about halfway between the old ADATs and the current HD 192s. I disliked them enough that I shelled out the dough for an Apogee AD-8000, which I still use alongside my HD 192. The 888 is long gone, and really never got, or deserved, much use.

Using good modern converters makes everything else much easier.

-R
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
Let's just put things in perspective here - convertors are probably the least important point in the signal path, after the player/singer, the mic, the room, the mic pre, the compressor , the EQ and the engineer. All of these will affect the sound much more than the convertor.

Yes, I prefer Prisms over 888/24's, but if I had the money to buy an 8-way Prism, as much as I love them, I would probably buy a better mic, or mic pre, or compressor, or EQ first ....
i have to disagree with you , i think the converters are one of the most important things in your chain , since you can have a good singer , good mic , good cable , good pre , but a bad converter , you are done and no matter how much you try to fix it inside the box , it is goin to be crapy .
that said i`ve worked with 192 , 96 and 888/24 and many other conv. and the 888 are not the best but they`ll work just fine with a good external clock.
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Guru
I did an A/B between 888/24 and Apogee AD8000 (both clocked off a Rosendahl). The first time I switched from A to B I stopped and checked the signal paths. I was not expecting such a clear difference. The Apogee is better. Way better. I did not find the difference to be particularly subtle.
Old 17th May 2009
Here for the gear

Open your ears!

First of all who cares who uses what. Everyone in the industry is forced to use protools including myself. But all Digidesign is, is a great business and masters at marketing and promotion. THE NEW PROTOOLS HD SOUNDS WORSE THAN THE 888l24. HD adds compression on the way in. Try recording an old steinway on an 888 and then record it on HD. You will hear all of the high end disapear. The piano will be compressed.

AND REMEMBER THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN DIGITAL IS THE CLOCK. Get an external clock and lock to it. Never use the computers clock it sucks!!

but DONT USE PROTOOLS! It sucks. I have done tests at my work recording to the different programs and using the same pci card and the same sorce material. The only difference was the Software being used on the computer...and guess what.....THEY ALL SOUND DIFFERENT!!! some better than others. Samplitude sounds better than PROtools hd or 888. Get a Lynx Pci card and some meitner converters. You will be smoking.

Our protools gear is used as a baffle because it sucks!heh

hope you all learn from this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search