The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LaCie or GLYPH Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

LaCie or GLYPH

I've had my LaCie for 3 months but have been hearing about problems.

I hear the GLYPHs are touted highly around here.

Thoughts Slutz?

PS., I should probably have backups of my hard drives anyways.
I'll probably get a couple of Gylphs & another LaCie and go
by trial n error......still I'd like your thoughts, experience,
comments, concerns, critisms.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...4/USB/EliteAL/

we have several of these and love em. they are very reliable.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Stay far away from Lacie. Macsales or Pacific Pro Audio is where I would recommend to go for audio drives.
Old 13th August 2008
nas
Lives for gear

I had a Lacie and it was not the best choice - way too noisy and not very reliable.

Now I have the Glyph GT050Q and love it. Very quiet, well built, and also rack mounts. It's got connections for FW400 FW800 eSATA nd USB 2.0 - I highly recommend it
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Nut

I used to have a LaCie. I found the fan to be fairly loud. Then I got a couple GT050Qs. I love my Glyphs although lately I mainly use them for backup since I have the MacPro with multiple internal drives. I miss dragging the Glyphs around to gigs. They are so rugged.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

Glyph are great, just ordered a new one. You should also check out G-tech drives. The same hight quality as Glyph.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
Stay far away from Lacie. Macsales or Pacific Pro Audio is where I would recommend to go for audio drives.
Looks like a post of someone who did his homework ^^
I saw the Pacific Pro Audio drives specs on their website. Looks like they have a very efficient and reliable data transfer chipset board.

The real question would be "Seagate" or "WD" ?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'd strongly advise against LaCie. Their new D2 Quadra's don't have power on the front anymore (the light/button is now a soft button) A minor thing, but irritating when you rack them.

More importantly I've had trouble with the couple I have in my space, and the other rooms I frequent are having problems all the time. Stay far, far away.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Here's my Glyph story: a few months ago I bought for work a GT062 unit. This unit has 2 drives in a table top enclosure. In the meantime Glyph offers an upgrade to add RAID 1 as a drive mode but the unit has to be returned to them. So I shipped my unit to Ithaca, they got it last Thursday and I was expecting a 1-2 week turn around (or longer). Well the modified unit showed up this Monday! So they did the mod and overnighted it back to me. The unit was still under warranty but they didn't charge for return shipment which I would have gladly paid for. Needless I am very impressed with their service and their product. I have a few old SCSI removable drives from Glyph which are at least 5-8 years old and none have any problems.
The other hard drive brand I would recommend for professional audio/visual use is Avastor. I have little to no experience with the other brands mentioned here (except for bad ones with Lacie) so there must be some good brands out there, but if you want something that is just going to work without any fuss or issues, get Avastor.
I have no connection to either Glyph or Avastor.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
I have a 750 gb HD from them it's a little noisey when it wakes up and starts spinning. I haul this hd to and from work with an xp partition on it.

If you have the HD upright it is also has awkward positioning for the esata port and i believe it's putting stress on the port from hanging so awkwardly. Starting this week I have had to fiddle with the connection to get it connected so xp would see teh drive. if it breaks there is a two year warrnaty, but lost data.

looking back i wish i got a glyph and just spent the extra $.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

I had a Lacie Hard drive and 2 months later it died on me along with all my data...NUFF SAID!
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I had a Lacie Hard drive and 2 months later it died on me along with all my data...NUFF SAID!
Did the drive die, or the bridgeboard? I've had numerous clients come to the shop with LaCie drives that have 'died'. I open em up, take out the drive, toss that awful chassis and mount the drive in good chassis and the client thinks I've resurrected the dead - even got a big hug from one guy after doing this to one of his work drives. No big deal and very simple, even for a beginner to try.

As for Glyph, thumbs up. We use Avastor drives here at the studio and I'm very happy with them. One very important thing I always stress: don't buy drives requiring an external/wall-wart power supply, you'll remember my advice the next time you leave the PS somewhere. Spend the extra $ for drives w/ built in power supplies, where the only thing you can forget is a FW or power cable and those are readily available.
Or you can get a bus powered drive to x-fer your data from location to location. I haven't personally tested these to work on, so I can't comment there
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

why would anyone buy either?
other than overpaying what else
would be the reason?
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

I've said this before in response to similar threads, but I don't mind sounding like a broken record at all...

I had a LaCie die on me at a critical time and had to pay over a grand to get the data off of it. The tech who fixed it told me never to work off of a drive like that. Backup's ok, but the fans and components in general are super cheap and will break with rigorous use.

He recommended a Glyph as a replacement, and I haven't looked back since. If it's more money than you'd like to pay, use a less expensive hard drive for backup and just work off of your internal for more "go to" stuff. Plus, I have to say that I'd recommend a Maxtor or a Seagate over a LaCie any day if you're planning on sticking in that price range. What can I say - I've been burned bad.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
why would anyone buy either?
other than overpaying what else
would be the reason?
Allen I don't quite get your comment about "overpaying". You mean Glyph and Lacie are overpriced? Just a few years ago a 73GB drive could set you back half a grand or more (remember those Digi Quietdrives?) and now a raw 1TB drive costs under $300. So in hindsight you were grossly overpaying but that's the price of technology. So I don't think Glyph charges too much for the product you get if you want a professional product that will work in the field for a long time. Besides the actual drive you're paying for the R&D that went into their enclosure which is really sturdy and the electronics and power supply to make the drive work and their really great service. And don't forget the lack of headaches!
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD View Post
Did the drive die, or the bridgeboard? I've had numerous clients come to the shop with LaCie drives that have 'died'. I open em up, take out the drive, toss that awful chassis and mount the drive in good chassis and the client thinks I've resurrected the dead - even got a big hug from one guy after doing this to one of his work drives. No big deal and very simple, even for a beginner to try.

As for Glyph, thumbs up. We use Avastor drives here at the studio and I'm very happy with them. One very important thing I always stress: don't buy drives requiring an external/wall-wart power supply, you'll remember my advice the next time you leave the PS somewhere. Spend the extra $ for drives w/ built in power supplies, where the only thing you can forget is a FW or power cable and those are readily available.
Or you can get a bus powered drive to x-fer your data from location to location. I haven't personally tested these to work on, so I can't comment there
Well the Drive wuld make this crazy noise and not be recognize. it would kep on starting stoping starting stoping (spinning)
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
I have a 750 gb HD from them it's a little noisey when it wakes up and starts spinning. I haul this hd to and from work with an xp partition on it.

If you have the HD upright it is also has awkward positioning for the esata port and i believe it's putting stress on the port from hanging so awkwardly. Starting this week I have had to fiddle with the connection to get it connected so xp would see teh drive. if it breaks there is a two year warrnaty, but lost data.

looking back i wish i got a glyph and just spent the extra $.

argh my OWC Mercury Elite 750 GB Esata port just crapped out on me.

luckily it's under warranty but i'm just going to buy a glyph. i'll use this owc mercury for a media drive once the new one comes back.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have 3 externals.
2 Glyphs, one for recording, one for sample storage.
and 1 Lacie for media and storage only.
I would not use the Lacie for recording or sample playback.
I just don't trust em'.
Gtech drives are real nice too!
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Glyph and don't worry about it anymore.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

does glyph even make hard drives? i'm curious

paying extra for an enclosure (lacie) with a western digital, seagate, etc drive doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
does glyph even make hard drives? i'm curious

paying extra for an enclosure (lacie) with a western digital, seagate, etc drive doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever
No they don't they build enclosures and interface boards ! But they QC DRIVES and Take over all Warranty issues and read the post above about their service! Is it worth the exra $$$ Thats up to you, but for those who want reliability it's worth every penny!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply guys!

Looks like my LaCie, that was recommended to me by Guitar Center when I bought my MacBook Pro/MOTU/Logic 8 setup (shocker), is gana be my BACKUP ONLY hard drive. I'm using Acomdata (don't laugh slutz!) for my PC as backups as well (for my MS Word Files & Photos n stuff).....any word on Acomdata for normal ol' NON audio backups???

Looks like I'm gana drop 5 bills ($500 that is) on a 1TB Glyph. I plan to buy a couple more to have as back ups for my backups!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I have 3 Lacie Drives that have never failed me. Two of them are three years old, one of them is 6 months old.

I have one brand new Glyph GT050Q that I have had to replace the fan in twice.

Glyph Support is simply awesome. They offered to send me the fan (its user installable) or I could send the drive back to them for repair at no cost. I doubt you will get such fast and professional support from Lacie if their drive fails.

For that reason alone, Glyph is the way to go IMHO.

My issue with the Glyph drive can be chalked up to a faulty batch of internal fans.

I have not had any other issues and I highly recommend Glyph.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

THANKS for all the replies guys..........

Any answers YOU all need? It's about time I GIVE BACK! If anyone needs lemme know! Here are the things I can help you with!

**I know ALL about Roland vs 1880 & 2480's ..... tech q's to how-to's!

**ANYTHING guitar / AMP / pickup / speaker / effects -wise...I've been through it all!

**ANYTHING classical guitar wise (notation, sources, Wedding, funeral repetoire ......ME! etc.)

**music THEORY questions ........... I'm your guy! (Walter Piston, Fort-Pilaska)

**Ridge Farm Industries stuff ( Gas Cooker OR Boiler q's!)

........... so lemme give back to YOU! THANKS SLUTZ!
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Nut

I never had an issue with Lacie or Glyph. I've been using both for years. The one thing I would suggest is never trust a factory format. Always reformat. Your taking a big risk if you don't. There are a lot people who believe that whole thing about the Glyph's being formatted for audio. Don't believe it. Some of my past clients have had horror stories trusting the glyph format.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Do I REALLY want to REFORMAT my external hard drives?

I recently DID buy a Glyph to accompany my LaCie (the LaCie is my BACK drive; my Glyph is my RECORDING drives....yes I DO plan to get a BACKUP for my BACKUP and ANOTHER recording drive. You can never have too many right?) for my MacBook Pro/Logic 8 set up.

AND I also bought a couple of SeaGates for my PC's as ACCESS drives (ie ALL FILES are accessed and saved on there keeping the internal hard drive for ONLY system/program access! WOW are my XP PC's fast...of course the extra 2GB of RAM didn't HURT!) Ok, the SEAGATE drives have SOFTWARE on them to do automatic BACKUPS. This is great for XP PCs because I ONLY do word processing, internet and stuff on those, NO AUDIO, so indexing won't be a prob.... BUT I WOULD'NT wanna use the SeaGates for my audio stuff because of the software! Great for the normal PC duties, I mean GREAT! AND FAST! But, is this normal for SeaGate HD's? Being so active n stuff?

Anyways, it doesn't look like I'd use SeaGates for A/V work! The LaCie has been good but is like the SeaGate is automatic backups... how the hell do I turn this is off? Or DO I?

The Glyphs are plug n play... they don't ask for nothing .... they're just "Hey, lemme know when we're ready to roll! Otherwise, I'll be over here kickin back!" THAT'S WHAT I WANT IN AN AUDIO DRIVE! Now I got a 250GB, 7200rpm Glyph. I heard that with AUDIO drives you want to get a SMALLER drive, ie LESS than 500GB/1TB because there is less to spin & search for. Is this true?

So here are my two questions:

1) Is a SMALLER external Audio Drive BETTER than a larger one because it takes less time to access? I've read this and wonder if it's true.

and, back to the question that I never finished about reformatting....

2) Should I REFORMAT my external HD's? Some of them have drivers and software on them. This CAN'T be good? Am I missing something? I know that with the Glyphs it doesn't matter because they're so simple. Again, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance Slutz!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

AFAIK Glyph drives _are_ Seagate drives.
I use a GT062 (1TB) model and have been very satisfied.. which model did you purchase?
the GT062s offer JBOD, RAID0 and RAID1.
Depending on whether you are going for speed or redundancy you would indeed want to format (or re-format) the Glyph using the GlyphManager software for one of the 4 available write modes.
The Glyph drives (at least the GT062s) are actually dual-partitioned drives that you can set to be 'seen' as one drive (RAID0, RAID1) where (if I recall correctly) RAID0 is writing to both partitions at the same time, thereby increasing speed and performance, and RAID1 is mirroring (writing the same data to both partitions for redundancy -- if one side of the drive fails, the other remains intact).

I don't know that a drive with 500GB per side will cause speed issues and I'm not sure if the 2TB drives are four partitions of 500GB or two of 1GB =)

Cheers and good luck
Old 6th September 2008
I had two lacie drives go down in a week. They suck. There is something called a controller card that goes bad in them. It can be replaced IF that's the problem.

I use sea gate or hitachi esata drives but we use those G-Tech firewire drives when tracking tv shows and we run the drives four 24 hours a day with no problems.
Old 6th September 2008
At the studio where I work we've used Lacies for six years until we switched to the Glyph GTkey system because of convinience and good name. I still use Lacies for (triple) backups. We've got about 60 Lacies and 10 Glyphs by now. Until today I never had a drive die. I don't really get the Lacie bashing.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Was a lacie D2 user for many years. We got tired of the power supplys/cases going bad. The drive itself would work after installing in another case. This always seemed to happen after the warranty expires.

Having been using the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic drives for sometime with no problems. They have the Oxford 911 chip. They have a longer warranty than Lacie also.

Have had clients bring in the Glyphs and they seem great just more expensive.

Peace Todd
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search