The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LaCie or GLYPH Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2008
it's all about series..

they have good weeks, and bad weeks. maxtor seems to be bad in the last month, western digital a bit better then a year ago.

for me, it doesnt matter. a good memory controler for fast datatransfer is more important...

cheers
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

My partner bought a Lacie last week for use with FCP - failed within 2 hours! Drive was fine, but the internal board was flaking out badly...

Avastor HDX quad is now sat on her desk, doing its thing day in, day out, very quietly.

Lacie dfegad
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

The SOFTWARE that came with my SEAGATE drive wrote PERMANENTLY to my XP Comp's internal main Hard Drive! They're IMMOVABLE files (UN erasable) and fragment up my hard drive. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!! I'm now having FILE corruption.....

What the hell happened here?!?!?!
Old 14th September 2008
Gear Maniac

We having tried a lot of drives with mixed results where I work. We have switch to Glyph and have been solid. Glyph's are designed with recording audio in mind. They cost more, but I think they are worth it especially if you compare their support policy to everyone else.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

I myself am about to switch to Glyph drives...ironically I so happen to see this thread...I always used Lacie Porche & d2 extremes with better luck from the Porche drives (6 total)...I've had 2, 1 being an ESATA Lacie crap out on me in a 2 week span..1 being my backup along with all my tracks & THE 1st SINGLE FOR VICKIE WINANS ON IT, & then the 2nd just 2nite which is the ESATA one...It has 3 major sessions on it that i'm praying will magically start to work again...Seems that the Porche drives are more reliable but I'm going Samsung sata internal which I have 2 already & Glyph from now on...FARK LACIE
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post
[Glyph] cost more, but I think they are worth it especially if you compare their support policy to everyone else.
NO ONE can touch their warranty. And they stand behind it.
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

LaCie or GLYPH ?

Dell or Gateway?

Epiphone or Squire?
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
LaCie or GLYPH ?

Dell or Gateway?

Epiphone or Squire?

Dum or Dummer?
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
LaCie or GLYPH ?

Dell or Gateway?

Epiphone or Squire?
Sorry, don't really get it. Do you mean Lacie and Glyph are same ****? Well, I think this thread clearly shows that many people does not share this point of view...
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I use glyph drives and have never had any problems (rack mount enclosed).

Recently I read an article somewhere about the new Western Digital drive WD640 CAVIAR BLUE and its amazing capatiability with the mac pro. I purchased one and I have to say it seems way faster than the glyph, at a fraction of the cost (like $80) .

I ended up purchasing another to boot off of, cloned my seagate 320 to the 2nd wd drive and my computer boots up about 10 times faster (mac pro, quad 2.66ghz 8gb ram), seriouslly no joke.

Im no 'techie' but this drive works great and the specs look good on paper too. check it out.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff View Post
I purchased one and I have to say it seems way faster than the glyph, at a fraction of the cost (like $80)
When you pay for a Glyph you're paying for their unique warranty, not the fact that it's the absolute fastest drive on the block.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Smile Glyph

For Reliability GLYPH

or g -tech or avastor

peace
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

My LaCie drive just died - two weeks old. It was my data drive for Logic Pro 8. The only upside is that there was only one project on it, and it was mine. Even if it was a fluke that's enough for me.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search