The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ProTools 6 has won me over !!....
Old 15th February 2003
Mac Moderator

ProTools 6 has won me over !!....

Well I got my copy yesterday. And this morning I worked up the courage to install it on my newish PT G4.

I was in no real hurry to like it as I use Samplecell, but I gotta tell ya.. Its great!! Looks and runs soo smooth... My rigs not the biggest, just a Mixplus, but its really given it new life I must say.

Even my old 882/16's are running which I had heard would not. My midi is an MTP running from a stealth port with the GeeThree osx midi driver.... works great so far...
Against all the odds I'm a convert... anyone want a Samplecell card??? lol!!!

Al. grggt
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

You are a braver man than I... I think I'll hold my breathe a little longer and let you guinea pig it for me a little bit.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

I'll second his report. It installed fine...runs smooth. The few new features are nice. Being in OSX is a dream.

But until autotune, stylus and a few other plugins get ported I can't make the jump.
Old 16th February 2003
Mac Moderator

Well because of my job (support/system builds etc) I have to stay somewhere near the bleeding edge in my studio, so I can find any pitfalls before clients do.

I agree that plugins is an issue at the moment, but most of us know that this is where we will be going over the course of this year...

I'm gonna give 6 a hard workover later this week on a tracking session. That'll see what its truely like underfire!! lol

Well. Back to it

Al.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

I tracked on it for 3 days and it was flawless. Runs good on my dual 500.
drew
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

For now ... we have it installed but on a seperate bootable hard disk. I wan't to take my time and fiddle around with both the new software and OSX some more before I dump my OS9 partition. Too many important projects running at the moment .... cannot afford the risk of having to troubleshoot for a couple of hours.

But it has me won over too ... can't wait to take a few days off to study and make the switch ....

oh ... we don't have all the plugs upgraded yet either ... so that's a reason too .
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Nut

PT6.0 INSTALLED

MY PT6.0 IS INSTALLED into my HD4 G4 933 QS
still waiting for WAVES to answer my calls
a couple of plugs did not show up
i'm gonna write a tune and us it for a template and move on into system X

it's time to move on UP
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Maniac

I've been running it for a couple of weeks, PT 6 is great. The advantages of OS X are significant.

I've kept PT 5 on a seperate drive and go back to it to use my plugs that aren't available for 6 yet.

Importing sessions back and forth between 5 and 6 has been seemless. So if I'm tracking without plugs I do it in 6 and then go to 5 if I want to add them. If I want to track with plugs I do so in 5 and then print them before going to 6 if I want to edit there.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Nut

i'm on a roll

i upgraded to waves version 4 today
i will report my experience in the next few days

rollz
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
I've been running it for a couple of weeks, PT 6 is great. The advantages of OS X are significant.

I've kept PT 5 on a seperate drive and go back to it to use my plugs that aren't available for 6 yet.

Do you think running Ptools on a separate partition would work?
I'm using 9.2.1 and I use X on a seperate partition, never had any probs with the plugs not showing up but I wonder about using 2 versions of protools on diff partitions but the same drive?
daniel
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Daniel that works just fine. I've done that on another Mac with PT 6 and an Mbox so that I can edit without firing up the whole system. I open my sessions and work on them, the Mbox is just there to let me launch PT LE.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Nut

are you diggin' the new screen draws for the console and wave editing?

i used the beta plugin file to get my delays back ...now i have to figure how to restore my personal plug settings as they did not make the upgrade

i don't see amp farm in there i think i need to look into that today

upgrading is always more than whelming for me
and i don't want to do a client session till i'm a little more used to the visuals

things seem to sound nice in X with pT6.0
but do you hear a sound improvment?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by studiojimi
things seem to sound nice in X with pT6.0
but do you hear a sound improvment?

is one supposed to hear a sound improvement in PT6.0 ???
Old 8th March 2003
Mac Moderator

Nope. Not pesonnally hearing a sonic improvement, but as has been said, the UI is much easier to use.
Plus one feature I didn't think I'd make much use of.. (The Project Browser window etc...) has already proved its worth...

I learn't my lesson lagging too far behind the times before.. I'm trying to track totally in PT6 from now on...

At least Echo Farm was released a few days ago.. cant do without that...

Al.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Nut

i don't hear any difference yet
just a new learning curve of a new system and new software and it can be embarrassing in front of clients

229 for software
420 for waves
129 for X

like i'm a bottomless pit
Old 8th March 2003
Mac Moderator

Jimi,
Things should level off soon... we're in a major transition phase... As much as I love Apple and Emagic, Digi dont charge for updates anywhere near as regular as them... yet...

Al.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

and the eventide plugs are ready too
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
and the eventide plugs are ready too
Hey Chris what do you think about these plugs?
Are they worth the cash? I've been looking at getting a kurzweil for some extra fx instead of more plugs but these also intrigue
me. Peace
daniel
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have no idea yet ... I 'heard' / saw them at the Frankfurter messe the other day ...

H
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have no idea yet ... I 'heard' / saw them at the Frankfurter messe the other day ...

Hard to say on a music fair.

- they look nice.

- had a chat with a guy from Eventide (their hardware stand was right next to digi's) ... came to following conclusion with him. Eventide does not want / need to give / borrow their name to a plugin not worthy the 'eventide' name.

- my guess is they will be good ... how good will remain subject to further investidation.

a side note though : ... I have yet to hear a plugin of a hardware device that realy matches the quality / possibilities of the hardware unit. One exception IMHO is the Access Virus range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search