The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Powercore Firewire & MOTU 828 MKII Firewire, can they work together?
Old 2nd March 2005
Here for the gear

TC Powercore Firewire & MOTU 828 MKII Firewire, can they work together?

I have a MOTU 828MKII Firewire interface and want to add the TC Powercore Firewire to my setup, is it gonna work out? is it possible to use 2 firewire devices on a pc without getting strange artefacts?

Thank you. thumbsup
Old 2nd March 2005
Gear Maniac

No experience with powercore BUT I can tell you that I had drop outs running motu 896 (same driver then 828!) on the same firewire bus with an external harddrive.
For desktop computers you can try to put in another firewire-pci-card and connect the powercore to that. On a laptop? I would not think of doing it...

Stefan
Old 2nd March 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StefanM
No experience with powercore BUT I can tell you that I had drop outs running motu 896 (same driver then 828!) on the same firewire bus with an external harddrive.
For desktop computers you can try to put in another firewire-pci-card and connect the powercore to that. On a laptop? I would not think of doing it...

Stefan
thanks, anyone else here running MOTU & POWERCORE firewire?
Old 3rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Powercore

I have the Powercore compact with Motu 828MK11 and it is very smooth.No problems as to date and I am running multiple firewire units.I am running a Dual 2.0 Ghz Mac with 10.3.7 and 2.0 GB of Ram.
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

@crossfire: please note that fw is allways much smoother on MAC (sadly) - after all nobody will be able to give you a 100% warranty that this setup will work.
BTW I have been testing with 1-3 MOTU 896 on the bus and a variety of external hds and fw chipsets on both laptop and desktop PCs (none of them under 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM etc...no cheap crap)

Also interesting: my Digi 002R seems to work much better with external hds on the same bus. So I would say MOTU drivers plain suck...

Stefan
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by StefanM
BTW I have been testing with 1-3 MOTU 896 on the bus and a variety of external hds and fw chipsets on both laptop and desktop PCs (none of them under 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM etc...no cheap crap)

Ok... you're testing MOTU's on PCs... what are your results?! I'm curious because i've got an 828mkII on an Asus A7n8x-de/athlon xp 2500+/768megs of RAM system and it doesn't run well...
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Head

over at the 'powercore no heaven board'

http://www.powercore.noheaven.com/

there is a thread with all the working setups for PCFW

Ive got an 828MK2 as well, and I was wondering the same thing.. if I remember correctly, somebody hooked up a PCMCIA to FW adaptor in their laptop and that ran ok along with the 828MK2 coming out of the laptops main FW port..
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

@Paul.E: Let me know what you are specifically interested in...
BTW my experiences are all based on Intel machines no AMDs...as of now I am succesfully running three 896 interfaces under NUENDO, clocked by a BigBen.
Observe the MOTU technical bulletin regarding fw chipset compatibility. (If I remember correctly NEC chips won't work)
I outfitted our desktop with two fw-pci-cards: one for the motus, the other for external drives (though I'm recording on U160 SCSI-disks anyway)

On my laptop I tried connecting MOTUs to mainboard-fw and drives to an Adaptec fw-pc-card (like ct43 suggested) which still didn't work better (drop-outs in the audio)

Stefan
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

I forgot to mention: all my experiences are based on clean WIN XP installations with no firewalls etc. running. In fact nothing else installed on the machines but NUENDO, SX & Wavelab.

Stefan
Old 4th March 2005
Here for the gear

thanks for all the info..
I'm running a MOTU 828 MKII on my PC (P4 2,8Ghz, 1GB Ram) and everything runs smooth
But I gonna buy a new system and i want powercore too, so you think i better buy a pci firewire card, which one could you recommend me that def works with MOTU & Powercore?

thanks
📝 Reply