The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
good orchestral audio unit, not that expensive? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

good orchestral audio unit, not that expensive?

I'm looking at good orchestral audio unit to make scores, and pop music (especially hip-hop). I've seen some really good like vienna, but first I can't really afford it for the moment, and the vienna is for pro-tools. I work with logic 8.

I'm looking for string with attack and release setting, and different section(solo quartet, section) some nice brass too (hard to find!!!) and love to have nice timpani.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Kirk Hunter Studios

He has exs versions of I believe everything.

for a library/player AU you have
East/west symphonic library
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Motu Symphonic
Miroslav Philharmonik

a lot more but here are a few to check out.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Addict

VSL

Vienna is clearly the best - and the most expensive... But it shure works fine with Logic. It's an AU so no "Pro-tools only".

You should check out the smaller scale "entry-level" bundles they have. Or even the single instrument downloads, that can help you get exactly what you need without paying for articulations/instruments you never gonna use.

Oh, btw, the brass is fantastic

Flemming
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkrog View Post
Vienna is clearly the best - and the most expensive... But it shure works fine with Logic. It's an AU so no "Pro-tools only".

You should check out the smaller scale "entry-level" bundles they have. Or even the single instrument downloads, that can help you get exactly what you need without paying for articulations/instruments you never gonna use.

Oh, btw, the brass is fantastic

Flemming
Agreed. Vienna is hands down my favorite. You can get into the basic setup for under $400 if you shop around. That's pretty cheap in my book. Especially since you get a whole orchestra for it...and it is VST/AU. Most definitely not only for Pro Tools.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have no problems with miroslav. i use logic 8 and protools 7.4 and it works well with both applications.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Maniac

i basically agree with the OPs. if you can afford vienna then get vienna and if not the next best is the kirk hunter libraries.

i was in a similar situation to you about 12 months ago. needed an string library and could not afford vienna so i went with the kirk hunter strings. i bought all his string libraries.

for the most part have been happy with them in terms of sound quality. especially the concert strings. my only criticism is that not all the libraries offer the same depth of controls via Kontakt2. some of the Kirk Hunter libraries offer more advanced control over things like legato speed. so for example this control is not offerred in the solo strings library.

like vienna you can now now buy just the individual string library you want and it is v.v. cheap to download direct.

the strength of the KH strings however is the playability on your midi keyboard. this aspect is really well thought out and v. easy to use. this is a big plus for KH string libraries.

however i also agree with the OPs in terms of vienna. the best sounding strings at the moment but at a cost.

spek
Old 12th August 2008
nas
Lives for gear

what's your budget?

here are a few options in different price levels - you get what you pay for

SONiVOX Symphonic

Vienna Symphonic Library

MOTU.com - MOTU Symphonic Instrument Overview

Garritan Personal Orchestra Features
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

One more vote for VSL.

I'm wondering if the Complete Orchestral collection 2nd edition from Peter Siedlaczek would be a good/cheap alternative for you. It comes with 5 revamp older libraries but it has a lot to offer like Smart violins, Advance orchestra, orchestral colours. I think the smart violins would work well for pop music and hip-hop. Advance orchestra has solo & ensemble strings, solo & ens. brass etc.. Worth having a look IMO. Take the time to listen to the demos. Especially the Smart violins.
Old 12th August 2008

I use vienna in logic

they are starting to sell separate instruments downloadable, so you may get what you want even cheaper, (or you could buy their entire library for $15 k !!!!)

vsl.co.at

eastwest silver is pretty cheap too

narco
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Head

VSL are quite clearly the dogs at the mo (but still not perfect IMHO). Based on your original post I think GPO is your best bet.

Hmmm....as for Kirk Hunter....OUCH!

A fair few years ago I was looking to buy some top notch string samples, and was reccomended the Kirk Hunter strings. They cost me about £700 GBP, which at the time (before VSL, EWQL etc.) was pretty much top price just for strings.

THEY WERE THE BIGGEST PILE OF CRAP I EVER BOUGHT. Totally unusable for me. Maybe things have changed and the libs have transformed into beautiful butterflies, but unless hell freezes over, I'll never buy Kirk Hunter stuff ever again...

...Not that I'm bitter or anything!
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
wow those sound great.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe have a look at the new Symphobia from Project Sam.
The demos sound very nice, but are on the large cinema scale !
ProjectSAM Cinematic Sampling - Symphobia

They also have 2 very good percussion libs (True Strike 1/2) and very nice Brass.

most of the big libraries need lots of tweaking to sound "right", so, don't expect to get a "oh wow" result right out of the box. It has A LOT to do with arrangement.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Maniac

For the price, I think Miroslav is amazing -- the quality of the samples as much as the program itself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search