The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The ultimate Logic / native / Pro Tools poll :-) Digital Converters
View Poll Results: A multiple choice poll about Logic vs. PT
A: I'm happy with the Pro Tools software and will probably never move over to Logic
52 Votes - 24.07%
A. I'm happy with the Logic software and will probably never move over to Pro Tools
81 Votes - 37.50%
B: I have already switched from PT software to Logic software
50 Votes - 23.15%
B: I have already switched from Logic software to PT software
14 Votes - 6.48%
C: I consider moving from PTHD hard and software to Logic natively - or have already done that
14 Votes - 6.48%
C: I consider moving from Logic to PT soft- AND hardware - or have already done that
16 Votes - 7.41%
D: I use TDM & will probably go native if Digi makes a pro/uncrippeled, native PT version
6 Votes - 2.78%
D: I use TDM and don't think Digi will make a pro/native PT version / not interested in using it
14 Votes - 6.48%
E: I'm frustrated over native latency/DSP issues in Logic, and need TDM hardware
10 Votes - 4.63%
E: I use Logic. I'll get a faster Mac if I need more DSP/lower latency (or have done that)
72 Votes - 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

The ultimate Logic / native / Pro Tools poll :-)

If you want to waste some time, please spend a few seconds to respond to this silly poll. :-)

You can enter several replies, but it doesn't make sense to enter to replies belonging to the same 'group (A, B etc).

A: Software switching? No thanks
A: I'm happy with the Pro Tools software and will probably never move over to Logic
A. I'm happy with the Logic software and will probably never move over to Pro Tools

B: Software switching: Yes
B: I have already switched from PT software to Logic software
B: I have already switched from Logic software to PT software

C: Hard- AND software switching:
C: I consider moving from PTHD hard- and software to Logic natively - or have already done that
C: I consider moving from Logic to PT soft- AND hardware - or have already done that

D: Native/high end PT system?
D: I use TDM & will probably go native if Digi makes a pro/uncrippeled, native PT version
D: I use TDM and don't think Digi will make a pro/native PT version / not interested in using it

E: Logic and need for more power/lower latency:
E: I'm frustrated over native latency/DSP issues in Logic, and need TDM hardware
E: I use Logic. I'll get a faster Mac if I need more DSP/lower latency (or have done that)
Old 9th August 2008
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
A: I'm happy with the Pro Tools software and will probably never move over to Logic

I DONT want to be LOCKED into having to HAVE a Mac!!!!! even LESS than I dont want to be LOCKED into DIGIS hardware. At least ai can RUN Protools on Mac or PC.

NO IM NOT BUYING a Mac to run WINDOWS on it!!!!! I run PC and Mac BTW

Native LOGIC/symphony will run just as much as an HD system. Sure , Id LOVE to have two Apogee AD16x's and two Apogee DA16x's here with a symphony card!!!!

I STAY bi-platform here. Ill hang with peetools and cubase here

Dont get me wrong, I like Logic just fine as well
Old 25th September 2008
  #3
Moderator
 
Blast9's Avatar
Hmmm - another option would cover my scenario:

Recently Moved to PC/PTLE, from but am seriously considering moving to Logic 8
Old 25th September 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Switched from Pro Tools LE to Logic in the last year and have been very happy.

Always room for improvement with Logic but I was annoyed with Digidesign (and the way behind the times crippling of LE) and am happy to have left them behind. For the moment, they have to bite me.

With Max on board however I would guess they will re-enter the real world of people on a budget still wanting more for their money and then step up their game. But unless their next rev comes with a 1998 version of Pamela Anderson in the box I will have to pass. Even that might be too little too late for me.
Old 25th September 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
I use both PT HD and Logic Pro for different applications. Will also sometimes grab something from one and slap it in the other depending on what I need to do.
Old 25th September 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
JustinAiken's Avatar
 

I use PT LE, but I'm going to be switching to Logic because I'm frustrated with PT's lack of ADC, and the artificial track limit pisses me off.

I have already acquired Logic 8, but haven't switched yet because I need to learn how to use it :D
Old 25th September 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
grrrayson's Avatar
 

Somewhere in between your choices...

I personally own Pro Tools LE 7.4.2 and Logic 8; I work at a studio that has Pro Tools HD. I'm mostly set.

It's not so black-and-white; different applications do different things. I secretly hate Windows but am looking forward to getting an Intel MacBook that I can load Windows XP on (perhaps with Samplitude to start) to solve further compatibility issues. I've done a couple of gigs on a Windows computer with Pro Tools and it worked fine, by the way.

I mainly work with audio (rather than MIDI) and have found Pro Tools to be the most intuitive and professional solution–in many cases even with LE. So, I'm based on Pro Tools/Mac and have other options. Works for me.
Old 26th September 2008
  #8
007
Lives for gear
 
007's Avatar
 

I'm making really good sounding music right now, I forget which software I'm using, I'll look into that and get back to you.
Old 26th September 2008
  #9
Gear Nut
 
Idiophonic's Avatar
 

I track with an Ensemble into Logic 8 and often bring the files into PT to mix...But because I don't have a huge amount of plug-ins in PT, I will sometimes take files back into Logic, use some Logic plugs, process, and bring it back to PT...Not the best workflow, but hey, it's the best I've got for now! heh
Old 2nd October 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 

split that poll between professionals making money and home/hobbyrecorders.

native/logic wins in your poll due to the high count of non-professionals.
Old 2nd October 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
split that poll between professionals making money and home/hobbyrecorders.

native/logic wins in your poll due to the high count of non-professionals.
I'm all Logic, and I make a nice living* doing this. In fact, I've only dusted off "Pro Tools" once in the last 3 years to set up a PT session for a studio in town.
Don't buy the lie. Pro Tools is still popular because it is entrenched in the industry, not because it is the leading "pro" solution.


*meaning I put a sweet rock on my fiance's finger, I'm paying my way through a private university, and living in a very nice apartment while growing my business in the midst of a recession...all of which I thank God for, and none of which involved "pro" tools. : )
Old 2nd October 2008
  #12
007
Lives for gear
 
007's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
split that poll between professionals making money and home/hobbyrecorders.

native/logic wins in your poll due to the high count of non-professionals.
I fail to see how that has anything to do with it. As a matter of fact, threads like these - one could hope - will slowly vanish in time.
There will always be options of which DAW to use, and the end result is what matters, how easily we forget this, and with discussions like this one, fodder for wasting a few bored minutes into yet another pissing contest about this DAW vs. that DAW.

Professional vs. hobbyist?
What, with PT you might be a pro but with Logic, you're just an amateur?
Are you kidding me? It's 2008, wake up.

When you deliver a mix/song you are happy with it, and the client is happy with, and the check just made it to the deposit slot at your atm, it really won't matter what the f*** you used. Only fellow producers and peers will ask, out of curiosity because we are just like that, we like to pick each other's brain about gear, and if you say you used Logic to the PT user, he will raise an eyebrow or two, and if you tell the Logic user you used PT, he will probably feel indifferent, yet still commend you on the result of your efforts to get the job done nicely.

I'm making money and living quite well off music using Logic 8 and Ensemble, and prior to the switch last year, I was on PT and an 002R for 6 years, and I was making money then as well.

Seems to me like such a reply stems from those peeps who run a high traffic studio, where a potential client calls in and says "oh yeah, one last thing, you do have them Pro Tools things over there don'tcha?", to which (a wild guess here) this reply follows "But of course, we are a PRO studio here, Digidesign got us by the balls for years now, they won!"

EEK!
Old 3rd October 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
split that poll between professionals making money and home/hobbyrecorders.

native/logic wins in your poll due to the high count of non-professionals.
Are you thinking of these non-professionals? :-)

Like other members here, I'm also en ex-TDM user that has moved over to Logic natively, and I make more money on my rig now than I did on my TDM rig. I personally know people who have moved in both these directions (from PT->Logic and the other way round). There's no pattern suggesting that the 'pros' are moving towards PT, while the hobbyists are moving to Logic.

'Professionals' aren't only commercial studio owners - it's composers, song writers, studios running several DAWs, producer owned studios and much more. The high-end market had been dominated by TDM for some years (for obvious reasons - there weren't powerful enough native DAWs/computers around), and maybe it will stay that way - maybe even PT will eat into other markets, or maybe Apple or someone else are working on a totally new high end DAW, or brilliant upgrades to their current DAWs? I don't know, but the home/hobby-statement about Logic just aren't correct. There's a reason that there are hundreds of threads about Logic over at the DUC.

The poll doesn't even show what's necessarily best, but which DAW that's used by most people on this forum - and the forum isn't only populated by the relatively small group of the DAW owners who feel that they just have to have a PTHD rig to get studio customers - or by people who simply prefer PT.
Old 3rd October 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
SiliconAudioLab's Avatar
 

I am happy using Logic 8 running on DAE/TDM on an HD3 system on my G5 dual 2.7 OSX 10.4.11.

I want for nothing. OK, OK, some of the tweaky Logic 8 bugs and unfinished housekeeping, needs be addressed.

I am also happy using PT soft+hard when clients need to.

I am happiest when the whole mess is turned off, late at night.
Old 3rd October 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

As expected, PT8 adds a lot of stuff Logic already has, while Apogee just announced Symphony64 with SBus and VBus. I could be wrong, but it seems that for Logic users, the implementation of Beat Detective (5-6 years ago?) and Elastic Time in was more important than adding the features that has been announced for PT8....


Anyway - Elastic Pitch sounds like a great idea, but the PT8 video demo makes me wonder if it really does anything else than normal pitch shift - which most DAWs have had for ages? Does it actually add the graphical pitch control that Melodyne, Performer and AutoTune has?
Old 3rd October 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 

I'm a happy protools user, and won't change anytime soon. If protools 8 will be fine than there's another reason to stay here at digicamp.
TD
Old 3rd October 2008
  #17
GSF
Gear Addict
How about another answer for the poll:


I use PTHD as well as Logic.
Old 3rd October 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
How about another answer for the poll:


I use PTHD as well as Logic.
Me too!!

PTHD for recording and mixing, Logic and Reason for composition.
Old 3rd October 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Me too!!

PTHD for recording and mixing, Logic and Reason for composition.
Yep, that's me too at the moment. Though, it looks like PT 8 might change that. I haven't seen any mention of a track Freeze function in PT8, but there are ways around that.
Old 4th October 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

I'd vote for the 'I had high hopes for Logic but Apple crapped on them with their lame update that I had to wait 3+ years for which makes me extremely glad that I never completely ditched Pro Tools!' option but sadly, it's not on the list.
Old 4th October 2008
  #21
Gear Addict
I use PT LE for the audio editing and mixing, LOGIC to compose in MIDI and MIDI editing.
Both softs are incredible.
Old 6th October 2008
  #22
Gear Addict
 
ORGANIK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
split that poll between professionals making money and home/hobbyrecorders.

native/logic wins in your poll due to the high count of non-professionals.
i make a living doing music as well....LOL thats just ignorant bro
Old 14th October 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by organik View Post
i make a living doing music as well....LOL thats just ignorant bro
I think the misunderstanding must be based on an assumption that most people who work professionally with DAWs/audio/recording/music do it by renting out studios - but there are much more people working professionally with music that are not renting out studios than those who are, and these people are not 'hobby recorders' sitting in their bedrooms.

Producing Coldplay: An interview with Markus Dravs <--- "hobbyrecorder"?


It would be silly for a TDM-based studio not to have Logic installed also (eg. for compatibility reasons), but that's not true the other way round.

Another thing is that plug-in developers, audio interface manufacturers (etc) don't really care where people are using their products... If it's correct that only 17% of the DAW users here use TDM (I wouldn't be surprised if this is correct), they'll make more money on selling native-oriented products than TDM based products, which again will influence the market (and prices).

The professional customers who use Logic combined with the 'bedroom/hobbyist' Logic users simply represent a much bigger group than those who use (let alone actually need) TDM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
How about another answer for the poll:


I use PTHD as well as Logic.
The idea with this poll was to look at which direction things are moving. Another poll about what people actually are using right now would of course be possible...


Plus - it's too late to add new reply options (and max. 10 replies are allowed per poll anyway...)
Old 14th October 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

I started with OO1 and PT LE about 7 years ago and moved to Logic (about 5 years ago) to have same sw as writing partners. I still use PT HD in studios from time to time.
Old 14th October 2008
  #25
Lives for gear
 
by-tor's Avatar
 

I use Pro Tools. But a valid choice for many people should have been:

G. I use Logic cause I have a Mac and someone gave me a serial number. Screw Digidesign and actually having to pay for something.
Old 14th October 2008
  #26
007
Lives for gear
 
007's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
I use Pro Tools. But a valid choice for many people should have been:

G. I use Logic cause I have a Mac and someone gave me a serial number. Screw Digidesign and actually having to pay for something.
Could be valid for some I suppose, although you still have to pay for an interface, which is essentially where your money is going when you choose Digidesign. To me the only thing PT has over Logic is the perception clients have of it, and that too is beginning to change with time, as many producers are embracing the switch to Logic. Seems that is all that's left to discuss here "is ProTools still regarded as a must have", as opposed to which one we like better. You find a software you like, you learn it, you record your music and move on. Once more, in the end, the music and song are what matters, and that is the one thing that doesn't warrant a poll, debate, much less any sort of argument or pissing match. The final product is what counts, and it can be achieved brilliantly with any of the apps available out there, whether it's mac or pc, where it's Tracktion, Garage Band or a full-blown PT HD system.
Old 14th October 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
by-tor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krou View Post
Could be valid for some I suppose, although you still have to pay for an interface, which is essentially where your money is going when you choose Digidesign.
Not really. I only added that cause that is my observation of MANY MANY people. They just use the audio output on the laptop and some headphones.

That said, people should use whatever they want. I have been using pro tools since it was called Sound Designer II. I also own logic and use it sometimes. All just tools.
Old 15th October 2008
  #28
Lives for gear
 
David-Morpheus's Avatar
 

I switched from PT LE last year and after about 10-15 projects later I can say I am completely happy with logic. It does the job for me and now I am working even more faster than on PT. I am planing to upgrade my converters (from 2x audiofire 12 to a SSL madi extreme card and their converter) and with that setup you can achieve really excellent latency figures. I was never tracking through plugins so this is not an issue for me.
And my mac pro together with the uad quad that's on the way provides me far more DSP than I need.

Really the only thing I am missing are the massey plugins.
Old 15th October 2008
  #29
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I use Logic and will be getting PT M-Powered too for various practical reasons...
Old 15th October 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken View Post
I use PT LE, but I'm going to be switching to Logic because I'm frustrated with PT's lack of ADC, and the artificial track limit pisses me off.

I have already acquired Logic 8, but haven't switched yet because I need to learn how to use it :D
I highly recommend MacProVideo.com
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump
Forum Jump