The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any logic to buying Digi's MIDI I/O?
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

Arrow Any logic to buying Digi's MIDI I/O?

I need to get a new USB MIDI box for PT6/OSX is there any reason to plump for Digi's, twice the price, MIDI box over Emagic's AMT8?
Other than 4 more I/O's? I don't happen to need more than 8 anyway...
The Midi Time stamping is the same with both boxes as far as I understand.

thanks
Old 13th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

I might be wrong, but I think the midi timestamping in MIDI I/O only comes into play when addressed from ProTools software. Likewise, the AMT on AMT8 and Unitor8 only work when addressed from Logic. So if you're using PT as your front-end, stay with Digi's box.

Slap my arse with a birch twig if that's not the case.
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

hey, what about Mark of the Unicorn and others? won´t there be new models of MTP AV and so?

Seems the MTP AV USB will not funtion at 88.2/96k. At least I have never seen thiese readouts on mine.
So?
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Addict

According to Gerhard Lengeling, one of the creators of Logic and the Unitor/AMT system, using CoreMidi in OSX results in way better timing than in OS9. In OSX, timestamping technology is really not needed.

best
-kenn-
Old 14th February 2003
Here for the gear

CoreMIDI supports timestamping itself, so the benefits of timestamping are available to all timestamping interfaces, no matter who manufactured the interface or which app is using it. [as long as the drivers are properly written, that is. Which I believe is the case for all currently available timestamping interfaces.]
It's true that latency is greatly reduced under OS X, but timestamping is still advantageous where a lot of data is being transmitted over multiple ports.

Digi claim there interface minimizes MIDI jitter better, because they have incorporated 'advanced sending' of up to 60ms. [i don't know the spec on 'advanced sending' in the AMT, so I can't compare claims] You would probably need to dummy up a project with something like your maximum MIDI content to A/B the digi and the emagic interfaces to see if it is worth the extra.

btw. Where I am the rrp of the MIDI I/O is only about 15% higher than the AMT8 , which would roughly cover the two extra ports.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by oink
CoreMIDI supports timestamping itself, so the benefits of timestamping are available to all timestamping interfaces, no matter who manufactured the interface or which app is using it. [as long as the drivers are properly written, that is. Which I believe is the case for all currently available timestamping interfaces.]
It's true that latency is greatly reduced under OS X, but timestamping is still advantageous where a lot of data is being transmitted over multiple ports.

Digi claim there interface minimizes MIDI jitter better, because they have incorporated 'advanced sending' of up to 60ms. [i don't know the spec on 'advanced sending' in the AMT, so I can't compare claims] You would probably need to dummy up a project with something like your maximum MIDI content to A/B the digi and the emagic interfaces to see if it is worth the extra.

btw. Where I am the rrp of the MIDI I/O is only about 15% higher than the AMT8 , which would roughly cover the two extra ports.
Oink,

Perfect! Thanks for the great info.

Rab,

Bend over.
Old 14th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

Happily.

I normally have to pay for that sort of thing...

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search