The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help building new DAW.. Audio Interfaces
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
HI,
the phenom would give you a nice boot... its not an Intel Penryn but a big gain from your dual core and saved the whole new board, reinstall etc...

if you had to buy a new mobo then i would only recommend Intel...

Scott
Great thanks for the answer.. Im not ready to build a whole new DAW yet (much like you ive always been an AMD fan)..
So for the couple of hundred (Aus) for a new Phenom. If it gives me a few points in the boost department.. Its all good.

thumbsup
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Smile

Hello guys !

It's kind of funny but those problems that jcschild listed as supposedly known to bug Intel boards are actually almost exact configuration that we run here in our studio. We have Intel board , UAD card, SSL Mixpander card, Nvidia dual head card running even a touch screen monitor and 4 GB of DDR2. Never any problems with that. And the studio is very much used for all testing, recording and troubleshooting.

Just for reference,
Audeum system with an Intel board is being currently used for testing of new hardware at SSL, Quinton ( head of research dept. )loved the system so much that they bought it after reviewing it.

Same situation is with Audeum system which is being used at Presonus quality assurance department , they chose the system as their main testing workstation.
I believe in Intel boards, we acquired a direct relationship with Intel through my experience as a server tech. The boards are coming from Canada where they are going through special quality check. They are built overseas of course...

I'm the Senior systems engineer at Audeum , I'm not a salesman. Audeum doesn't even sell the systems we build here !
You have to go through a dealer to get one. So really, I'm not pushing for any sales...

I never , ever said don't build your own, buy Audeum..never. I encourage people to learn what is in their systems and build it themselves. Those who are interested in it, I'm always eager to help with an advice or opinion.

I put the site-link in my sig just that people can verify that what I'm talking about is actually what I'm working with.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

i can tell how little you work with UADs...
we are beta for UAD just for starters, and they have multiple systems from us
however i wont start the who has our systems "measure my peepee" non-sense as there is not enough room on this page for me to list.

here is just one such post

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/...php?f=2&t=9488

the DP 35 as i said worked great for about 4 months.. then Intel broke it..

after 3 months of working with intel they fixed it again for a very short period.
then it didnt work then it did then not...

it may work fine with 1 uad not multiples
try loading 4 uads in there and tell me it works..

you dont build a DDR3 system at all
and i dont find a P35 chipset on your website only the budget P33 boards or very old965 boards...

so how can you comment on experience of the DP35DP?
or DDR3 intel boards?

i have 100's of DP35DP systems out there. they were great for awhile
i wont touch em for a pro box.... budget yes.

SCott
ADK
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut
Hi again!
Updated the list once again, see what you think...
Should I go with XP Home or Pro?
Seems to me that I don´t need the extras in Pro and they both support the same amount of RAM...

Seems hard to get hold of the nVidia 8600 here in Sweden, since they have updated the line.
Will check around a bit more though.
I replaced it with 9600GT, though I realize that it´s a bit overkill.

Is the RAM the right one to go, or are there others as good but cheaper?

What´s better, P35 or X48?

cheers
Niklas

¤ MB: Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6, X48 s775
¤CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9450 2,66GHz, 12MB, 1333MHz, S775

¤RAM: Corsair 4096MB DDR PC 12800 XMS3 (TW3X4G1600C9DHX)

¤HD: 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, SATA-300, 32MB, 7200RPM:2 X880

¤ DVD±RW Optiarc AD-7200S Black 20x Dual Layer SATA, OEM

¤CPU Fan: Scythe Ninja 2 Intel P4 LGA775 & AMD AM2

¤ Graphic card: Leadtek PX 8500GT (no fan)
¤PSU: Thermaltake 750W ToughPower 16 db

¤Tower: Antec Performance One P182, ATX

Last edited by domus; 10th August 2008 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Changed MB, RAM, Graphic card
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Nut
Anyone?

/N
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Definitely XPpro. I would even recommend using XP-64bit. This will help you make more efficent use of the 4GB RAM. (without the 3GB switch) Not to mention you could upgrade later and have up to 8GB on that mobo.

Just check to make sure that your audio hardware and software has WinXP64 support.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Nut
Never heard of 3gb switch before, read up on it and yes, it´s definately Pro then.
Thx.
Don´t know about 64bit, I´m using Focusrite Saffire 26i, 2xUAD-1, Liquid Mix, C4. Are they all supported in 64bit? I´ll check it out...

Any thoughts about the RAM and CPU?

regards
Niklas
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm still not sold on DDR3 for a stable audio machine. It depends on the mobo in the end; just because it supports DDR3 doesn't mean it's as stable with DDR3. I'd personally go for 8GB of DDR2 running XP64.

(check hardware drivers for XP64 support, if not available then I would go XP-pro w/ 4GB of DDR2)

The CPU looks good...
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Nut
Seems that C4 only has a preview version for 64bit Vista.
To much trouble with pluggs and stuff I figure... doesn't feel stable enough so I think I´ll stick to XP Pro 32bit for now...

/N
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post
I'm still not sold on DDR3 for a stable audio machine. It depends on the mobo in the end; just because it supports DDR3 doesn't mean it's as stable with DDR3. I'd personally go for 8GB of DDR2 running XP64.

(check hardware drivers for XP64 support, if not available then I would go XP-pro w/ 4GB of DDR2)

The CPU looks good...
DDR3 on the right mobo is untouchable (well until Nehalem) particularly sampling
DDR3 on the wrong board is a nightmare

stay far away from 64bit
UNLESS you are using VSL and EW Play only... (highly unlikely)
Scott
ADK
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by domus View Post
Seems that C4 only has a preview version for 64bit Vista.
To much trouble with pluggs and stuff I figure... doesn't feel stable enough so I think I´ll stick to XP Pro 32bit for now...

/N

You can run 32bit applications on a 64bit OS without any problems. C4 will soon have a fully (non-beta) 64bit version (buggy at first I'm sure). I've been working on Cubase SX3.11 for long time. (refuse to update to C4 untill the next update... even though I hear 4.1 is stable. Personal policy, NO VERSION 1.0 for Joe)

I guess Scott could be right... I'm not sure since almost every project I do involves some sample based instrument; usually both VSL and EWQL packages.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I can't say this is better or worse than anything else. I can only say I just built this computer, and everything is working without a hitch, so far anyway.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel Q6600 Quad core
Artic 7 Pro cpu cooler
2gig Crucial DDR2 800
Seagate 250Gig HD (X 3)
XFX video card, cheap and fanless, can't recall the model
XP home
Antec P180 (far and away the best case I've ever owned)

I took input from DAW builders, Cubase.net, UAD-1 forum, and this gamer site thread very helpful with newegg.com links!

AnandTech - Attention System Builders

Everyones advice differs though, in the end , you just have to pick one.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Smile Xp

Hi guys !
I'd not recommend XP 64 for any serious audio/video production. It's great to try, find all available drivers and compare the performance in dual boot setup.
Most of the time, if you are able to find drivers for your audio hardware you will notice that your system might suffer from compatibility and stability issues in return of very little or no performance gain.

BTW, 965 and 975 is the best thing that ever happened to Pentium D dual core CPU, that's why it's on the site.
P33 is just ungodly stable and reliable board that performs great in Audio/Video production...

DDR3 is a great performer in certain situations but I personally think that it's not worth the price and stability issues for mere few % of performance boost in audio apps.
I'd stick with a solid manufacturer tested and approved DDR2 modules.

If you need a solid workstation don't just jump to the newest gear, don't sacrifice the time invested in updates and real time tests of actual users in real scenarios. The stability and compatibility is far more important to the work flow of your project than a performance overhead. Really, you'd have to run a lot of tracks and plugs to bring today well optimized workstations to it's knees...
Look at your project, your needs and the extreme limit scenario of your project and then build a system that will satisfy the requirements from reliable and well known, not bugs plagued components.
Have a great day guys !
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

yet your debating the merits of intel boards that you dont even use with me
Sheesh you really should stop giving me ammo!

Pentium D? i hope to God this is not what you are selling people
i am gonna leave it all alone except for the DDR3 part.

for sampling its not a few %.

from my thread on this forum (and others)

Cores and VSTi the facts

a 400% increase in nothing to sneeze at

from 3.0GHz DDR2 800 512 buffer to
3.0GHz DDR3 1600 128 buffer....

a few % indeed!

Scott
ADK
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

DON'T MESS WITH SCOTT!

He knows EVERYTHINGGGGGGG...................

He invented the DAW as we know it today!
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia - Audeum View Post

I'm the Senior systems engineer at Audeum , I'm not a salesman.... snip..

So really, I'm not pushing for any sales...
Come on Mate,

Who are you trying to kid ?

Practically every post I have read of yours has included a resume and a running ad for your company. If anyone of the other DAW builders used the same blatant approach we would have our heads ripped off, and we are consistently berated for way less by some individuals here who seem to have some mysterious filter to your efforts.. Hmmmm, I wonder.

The only thing missing from your signature is an animated banner, but that would cost money right ? Why pay for advertising, when you can spam for free , eh.. ?

Man I wish George can voice a view on this, because if its good for the goose , then its good for the gander, and I can just see the floodgates opening.. !!

V:
Old 9th August 2008
yes!!!

I´m glad I found this thread.

I´m building a second DAW for me, and I won´t spend a lot of cash on a mac (I´m a 7 year mac only guy)

I´ll be using XP SP 3 Pro.

What I want:

- Q6600 @ 2.4
- 500gb 32mb buffer seagate for audio drive
- 4gb dual channel corsair RAM
- GeForce 7200 256 pci-e 16x (doesn´t have a fan)
- Zalman 360w supply
- Hyper TX2 cooler

The rest... I´m not sure yet...

The main problem is the mobo. I was sure about Intel´s DP35dp until Scott´s post about it, now I´m lost.
Some mobos I have easy access at an ok price (remeber, I´m in Brazil, things are expensive here)

Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C
Intel DP35dp
Intel DG31PR
Intel DQ35JO
MSI P6NGM-L 775

ECS P45T-A BLACK SERIES
ECS P35T-A V1.0 BOX LGA 775

Yes, I´m planning to have an UAD-1 (again, I sold mine when my old G4 died and I started using my macbook)
Yes, my interface is firewire.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

HI,
Intel DP35DP

1 UAD should be ok (PCIe)
its when you add more than 1...
plus the bus routing, irq steering on that board has gone south....
(which is one of the issues with it)
also all the memory remapping they did in the bios mostly to be better fo Vista
and acting like 32 bit OS is an after thought... (confirmed by Intel engineer)

all other Intel desktop boards will exibit the same problem (memory remapping)
the issues are not seen too bad until you start loading the board up with cards.
i will pm you a board that i recommend
Scott
ADK
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut
Hi again!
Does anyone know what the difference are between:

Corsair 4096MB (2x2048MB) DDR3 PC12800 Corsair XMS3

and

Corsair Dominator 4096M DDR3 [ CR2841 ], PC3-12800, 1600MHz, 2x240 DIMM

big price difference

/N
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

I didn't look but I would guess the CAS latency and/or voltage.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Nut
The RAM I listed before wasn´t really DOMINATORS, only listed a such by dustinhome.se, so if you´re in Sweden and about to buy something from them, be sure to check it out.....

New list:
¤ MB: Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6, X48 s775

¤CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9450 2,66GHz, 12MB, 1333MHz, S775

¤RAM: Corsair 4096MB DDR PC 12800 XMS3 (TW3X4G1600C9DHX)

¤HD: 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, SATA-300, 32MB, 7200RPM:2 X880

¤ DVD±RW Optiarc AD-7200S Black 20x Dual Layer SATA, OEM

¤CPU Fan: Scythe Ninja 2 Intel P4 LGA775 & AMD AM2

¤ Graphic card: Leadtek PX 8500GT (no fan)

¤PSU: Thermaltake 750W ToughPower 16 db

¤Tower: Antec Performance One P182, ATX

Changed MB, RAM and Graphic card

What do you think, feels like it´s getting close now

/N
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
HI,
Intel DP35DP

1 UAD should be ok (PCIe)
its when you add more than 1...
plus the bus routing, irq steering on that board has gone south....
(which is one of the issues with it)
also all the memory remapping they did in the bios mostly to be better fo Vista
and acting like 32 bit OS is an after thought... (confirmed by Intel engineer)

all other Intel desktop boards will exibit the same problem (memory remapping)
the issues are not seen too bad until you start loading the board up with cards.
i will pm you a board that i recommend
Scott
ADK

could i please see that recommendation as well?
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

LOL i have recieved 5 PMs plus your request since posting that heh

so how many UADs and are they PCi or PCIe also what interface...
this is the info i need for those asking me..

Scott
ADK
Old 11th August 2008
Scott is the man!
Answering all he can...
Thanks a lot!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

no UAD, lynx aes16 pci interface.

i was actually just curious about your opinion on the board with the best memory remapping, bus routing, irq steering, etc. no specific application, just best all-round in those (and all, for that matter) departments. and your thought on the "right" DDR3 choice.

ive built many many excellent systems, but its always good to get another opinion.

thanks
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitalgod View Post
no UAD, lynx aes16 pci interface.

i was actually just curious about your opinion on the board with the best memory remapping, bus routing, irq steering, etc. no specific application, just best all-round in those (and all, for that matter) departments. and your thought on the "right" DDR3 choice.

ive built many many excellent systems, but its always good to get another opinion.

thanks
i cant answer that, as that would be giving you my high end board choices for my 2 best systems
something i do not disclose..

i can tell you
1) its not made by Intel
2) its not some whimpy 965/G33
its not even P35

Scott
ADK
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have a quick question for you two pro daw-builders/sellers if you don't mind..
I know you're not making AMD machines but hopefully the issue is fairly universal, maybe not so ok if you can't help!

When using one sata drive in my setup (as data, ide for system), and with windows assigning interrupts, the 'dual channel PCI IDE controller' is being given the same irq as my uad card.
I'm assuming this controller is the windows one for a sata drive in native ide mode.
If I manage to switch to AHCI for the sata drive, which I'm just downloading the drivers for, (they're included as part of the latest Ati display driver package apparently), will this positively affect the irq settings, ie leave my uad card on its own?
If this won't help, will letting the bios assign interrupts rather than windows sort the problem (uad card dropping out).

TIA for any advice,

Matt
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

HI,
this varies from board to board and for that matter even from bios to bios of the same board..

do NOT use AHCI. why would that come with ATI drivers?
and AHCI is part of windoz./bios/drive firmware.
plus it would not change the IRQ (or should not)

have you tried simply swapping out the card to a diff slot?

Scott
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

I really hardly know anything about PC's except: why would you want that DVD/CD drive? AFAIK the only reliable drives for audio are Plextor or LiteOn.
Old 11th August 2008
For a quad q6600 with 4gb of ram, 2 7.2k hard drives, dvd burner and a fanless video card, how much power is needed? something like 500w?
what brands are recommended (price, noise and power-wise)?
Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search