The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My firewire ports stopped working
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Maniac

My firewire ports stopped working

So I'm getting setup for a session and my hard drive and my 002r rack wouldn't show up. I restarted the computer, repaired disk permissions, ect. I'm runny a dual 867 on OS X 10.3.7. Everything worked fine after I updated to 10.3.7 so maybe the security update messed up something?? Can anyone help me out???

thanks,

Mat
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

I had this same problem with a client once. Here is a weird fix to try. It seems that Apple had an issue with firewire in the g-4's and they would stop working. The fix was to unplug the machine from the power source. Make sure that your not just turning it off but actually unplug everything hooked up to it from the power and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Somehow this snaps the computer back into recognizing the firewire ports. Don't know if this is your problem but it sure surprised the hell out of me when it worked...

Good luck and let me know,
Michael Greene
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Firewire Problem

The problem is most likely the 002, not the computer. Many 002 racks, mine included, had this problem. It;s a known problem to digidesign, and the fix is a new DC harness...essentially a cable. If you call Digidesign customer support, they will send you this, and possibly a Power Supply (depending on the age of the 002) for free. Hope this helps.

Mark
RDRAUDIO
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Maniac

I got the problem fixed by plugging my computer into a different power outlet. It wasn't just the 002 my firewire drive wasn't showing up either but plugging the computer into a different outlet has seemed to have fixed the problem.

thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 30th January 2005
Lives for gear

Glad to hear it is working. That would be the power problem. I don't get why but unplugging the computer and plugging it back in seems to work. I keep my computer on a Furman Balanced power system with a master switch that I turn off every night when I am finished. I found out that is why I have never had this problem. In effect I am disconnecting it from the mains every night.....

Michael Greene

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search