The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
advices and opinions about WAVES MASTER BUNDLE
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

advices and opinions about WAVES MASTER BUNDLE

Hi friends! I do intend to upgrade my junior mastering ...
What are yur impressions about this somewhat new Master Bundle, from Waves?
I have seen someone complain that wished it would function on a 2 band monde, once multiband compression ****s up the mix in some mucial genres.
I have been using L1 ( I hate), TC MASTER X 3 band, 5 band, C4, Power dither.
I hope this Linear phase thing is really good.
Hope to hear from ya
Many Thanks!

Old 3rd February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

I'll start by saying that I count L1 as the most useful TDM plug-in of all time (until L2)... so you may want to stop reading now!

It's interesting you like MasterX which I generally find almost painfully "tizzy" except on dance material. I would recommend you download the demos of L2 (www.waves.com) and McDSP MC2000 (www.mcdsp.com) and make up your own mind. You'll no doubt be aware that your choice of multiband compressors and limiters for ProTools is fairly limited (although generally OK), so it shouldn't take you much time to decide what works best for you. You could also check out Sony's Inflator plug-in. I guess different stuff works best on different material, but I would definitely recommend L2 somewhere in your chain. My favourite "all purpose" path is an inserted Manley Passive and/or Tubetech SMC2B followed by the L2 plug-in.

Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Rab
My favourite "all purpose" path is an inserted Manley Passive and/or Tubetech SMC2B followed by the L2 plug-in.

Rab,

I've heard other people talk about using the SMC2B over the Massive Passive....do they sound a bit similar then although they look like very different beasts on paper?

Do you use the SMC2B for other jobs too? what do you think of it generally??

cheers
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Waves...

The Master's Bundle is great if you'll only be using it for mastering. I absolutely love the Phase Linear EQ and would often like to use it on individual channels, but sometimes its just not economical because of the significant delay--and it might get a little tough keeping track of all your delay comps especially with bigger mixes.

But if its just for mastering, the masters bundle is tough to beat.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ditto on the Linear EQ. Just wonderful for the specific purpose it was designed for.

I also think that the LinMB MAY be a killer app, but I just can't seem to "master" how to work it. It's really complicated AND not at all like other multi-band comps. The techs at Waves have not been much help.

still, I have gotten some great results (sometimes) by just fiddling around. I like it as much as the MC2000, maybe more when it really works. If I could just figure the darn thing out I would probably use it exclusively.

One thing to be aware of, Alecio:

Neither of these will run at 88.2K or higher, and Waves does not plan on making an HTDM version. This may or may not be a problem for you.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

thank speer!
It is awful!!!! no 88.2......
maybe PT HD chips are not powerful enough?
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Addict

I think the bundle is pretty darn useful.

I agree with speer: LinMB is powerful and a bit esoteric, but worth digging into. You can really get a lot of different tonalities out of it - use the a/b and bypass a lot. LinEQ rocks too but crashes my computer about half the time!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search