The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProTools LE
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

ProTools LE

hi guys,

time for me to ask a dumb question that i'm almost 100% sure i already know the answer to.

anyway, if i wanna record using protools le on an ibook, do i need to purchase a digi interface such as the 002? or can i use my presonus firestation?

please be kind, sorry to be so dumb.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

LE won't run if there isn't Digi hardare connected. You can of course use PT Free.

I run Free with a SoundDevices USBPre and it's fine for basic stuff. The sessions can be opened in LE later, but they won't ever open in Free again once you do that.

You question wasn't dumb at all.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

thanks for your reply.
ok, so i need to have some digi hardware hooked up to run LE.
could i hook up an m-box to the usb port, and the firestaion to the firewre port, and record 10 tracks simultaneously? (2 via usb 8 via firewire).
Old 20th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to simply record in PT or are you more interested in editing with PT afterwards? If the latter, you could use, say, Logic to record multi I/O via your Firestation then import the audio into PTLE (you'd need to get an MBox, of course). Digidesign (infamously) have a "proprietry" philosophy so you are stuck with their hardware if you want to use their software. If Digi allowed other hardware manufacturers access to Pro Tools software they probably wouldn't be around very long??

Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

I thought the Mbox was only two channels digital or via pres..Could be wrong... So unless you get an expansion, its 002 or Mbox.

Dito on the above, by the time I typed it someone else had brain sucked me.

And from a larger studio backwards I normally give clients full files from bar1-bar?? if they are taking it home then they can load the suckers into anything. It really depends on how many tracks you need to record.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

yeah guys i was just investigating my options to see if protools was an option for me at this point. my original plan was to go with logic and i think i'll stick with that, seeing as the next version is out soon. thanks.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear