The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
problems with saving a session copy
Old 20th January 2003
Here for the gear

problems with saving a session copy

ok,

when saving a session copy (from the file menu), i encounter this problem:

all of the data (much of which has been removed from the session) from the original 'audio files' folder is copied as well.

ok, not a huge problem UNTIL they are deleted from the copied audio files folder. then, when starting up the (copied) session, protools pops up with a dialog box saying it can't find such-and-such audio file(s).

i know, you're saying, but mr. sheep, these files are necessary... they are still being used in the session. no, they aren't. i even went through and created duplicate files (shift+option+3) of all the tracks in the session, then tried to delete all unnecessary files. i even tried re-importing all the unused audio files, renaming them, THEN deleting them. the session would still start up looking for the renamed (unused) audio files.

my temporary solution was when this dialog box came up, i repeatedly selected a 'dummy' file that was in fact being used in the session. of course warnings come up like 'the sectors do not match', etc. but i just ignored these. i mean, these files don't really exist in the session!!!

after this, i could then trash the unused files, and the (copied) session opens no problem.

there must be a reason for this weird caching of audio filenames. does anyone know a better workaround?

thanx,

cal

p.s. as for WHY i'm doing this, i want to keep the original sessions, but need to make a copy with bounced plugs, automation, etc. for tracking at another studio. the data also needs to be as compact as possible--- thus the trashing of unused files in a session copy...
Old 20th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

Yeah, you're right. Unless anyone else has a more elegant solution (I'd love to know!), this is what I'd do...

• Create a new session
• Go to File>Import Tracks
• Navigate to the session you want to strip down
• You'll see the list of tracks in that session... select them
• In audio media options, select "consolidate" and specify a handle for the tracks... this will save a bit of audio either side of the edit handle for safety.
• Go... this will now import all the audio regions in your original session's timeline but discard any rubbish.
• Save your new session. Your old session will remain intact with all original audio files etc, so don't worry about destroying this data.

Good luck

Old 21st January 2003
Here for the gear

rab,

it's funny, i posted this question on a couple of boards (including the DUC), and it seems you are the only one who had experienced what i'm referring to. it must be sort of a weird bug in 5.1? is it something i'm doing? that's what i want to find out. if it's a bug, hey, i can live with it... it's not a total hassle.

but i was thinking perhaps another workaround is to save a session copy without the audio files, then consolidate/duplicate all audio tracks in the entire session copy. this should place the new tracks in the session copy 'audio files' folder. perhaps it will be possible to remove the unused regions without a hitch.

has anybody tried this?

thanks again,
-cal
Old 21st January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

I guess that would work, but wouldn't you then lose all your edits?

I don't know whether you could call this issue a "bug" (although I see what you mean). I guess the "Save Session Copy In" is aimed at pulling together audio that might be scattered around several locations into one folder. If you come across any replies from your other forum posts, it would be good to see them posted up here...
Old 31st January 2003
Here for the gear

I guess this thread is talking about Pro Tools? <cough>
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

have you tried upgrading to 5.1.1?
I had similar problmes o data disappearing when I used to copy the session folder from one HD to another one, which is much easier than entering the file menu.

I imagine your sessions is corrupted and what is amazing is that the save session copy in always eliminates this current session bugs..

I would suggest you upgrading to 5.1.1. If you live in the USa, going to ebay or ordering a copy shall not be that $$$

Hugs
Alécio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search