The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Large Capacity Firewire Drive for Video
Old 19th January 2003
Here for the gear

Question Large Capacity Firewire Drive for Video

Hey.
Looking for recommends: Need large capacity firewire drive for video playback in PTools. Overview of system is:

PT HD3Plus
Control 24
G4 933
Cinema Display
ATTO SCSI w/ Medea array for audio
Canopus ADVC 100

Anticipate using Dvideo and/or QTime video to NTSC monitor via Canopus.

If you use it and it works, let me know.
Thanks,
Old 19th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

Have a look at the Lacie D2 400Gb drive (7200rpm) - www.lacie.com . Data transfer seems to average around 21Mb/s. You can get a rack-mounting kit for it which is cool. It's got an external PSU which is a shame, but otherwise no worries.

Old 20th January 2003
Mindreader

Have you tried this thing? I got quite excited about these high capacity lacies.

Is the faster one (500gig) fast enough for real time audio (is 5200 enough) or should I get the 400 gig one do you think.
Old 20th January 2003
Here for the gear

Reading with great interest. Thank you, Rab.
-COCO
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

COCO there will be a couple of PCI cards coming shortly that'll offer the new higher speed FW, the drives will be available next month.

Of course you've got the Medea which would be the entry level RAID array if you wish to uncompressed video to work with.
Old 20th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

Can't comment on the 500Gb drive... I would think it better to sacrifice the extra 100Gb capacity for the faster speed of the 400Gb model. From previous audio experience, 5400rpm is a bit on the sluggish side. Also, there's always the issue regarding archiving - the bigger the drive, the more of a liability this is and the more you've got to lose if the drive bombs out. For audio use, I generally prefer to use a smaller drive and archive regularly. I guess it's different with video as projects can run into much larger Gb's. Hope this helps...
Old 21st January 2003
Here for the gear

Yes, it does, thanks very much. Remember that this FW drive will be for video only used within PTools sessions. So the Medea array will be dedicated to audio. Does this change anyone's opinion on anything?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search