The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Installing DVD burner into desktop mac to use iDVD
Old 19th January 2003
Mindreader

Installing DVD burner into desktop mac to use iDVD

You can't use iDVD unless you have a 'Superdrive'. It won't recognise an external device.

The superdrive that ships with all these new G4 powermacs is actually a pioneer A104/A105 internal DVD burner it seems.

So theoretically, if I take out my CD-R from my desktop G4 and replace it with one of those pioneer drives, then iDVD will allow me to use it, thinking it's a 'superdrive'.

I could go and get DVD Studio Pro and get a faster external DVD burner. But I can't be bothered. I want to use iDVD ('cos it's easy) and not bother with learning a whole bunch of stuff I don't need to know.

Has anyone done this/had any experience of this kind of thing?
Old 19th January 2003
Mac Moderator

Bev,
Yep. I did exactly that. I put a DVR/A03 into my G4 400 internet Mac. works just as if it was supplied that way. iTunes,iDVD,DVD Player and of course Toast Titanium all see and use it perfectly.... same goes with the A04 and 5.

Here's a tip: the DVR A104 and 105 are the same drives without retail packaging and Windows software thrown in... you should save a few quid getting one of these instead. I've fitted loads with no problem.

Al.
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Addict

I've done it, as well. The only real issue is the fragility of the self-adhesive metallic shielding tape used to tie the drive case to the chassis of the computer. That tape is very fragile and hard to work with. For an illustrated procedure:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/h...x/install.html
Old 20th January 2003
Mindreader

Yo MCAL

Good one mate

I just wanted someone to say they'd done it. Saves me the hasstle of trying.

Right, off to buy a A104 then. What a silly name. No wonder they called it a superdrive.

A104...off the M15 isn't it?
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Addict

Here's an even better page on doing the conversion:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...rdrive_g4.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search