The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OSX disk maintainence? DAW Software
Old 24th November 2004
Gear maniac

OSX disk maintainence?

What is everyone using for the weekly defragment? Is Tech Tool Pro the only real option at this point?
Old 25th November 2004
Lives for gear

Re: OSX disk maintainence?

Quote:
Originally posted by sixtoo
What is everyone using for the weekly defragment? Is Tech Tool Pro the only real option at this point?
Thats what Im using, WORKS GREAT!!!!!
Old 25th November 2004
Gear maniac

Hi. yeah what is going on here? - hope I'm not hi-jacking the post!
- but maybe in the context of this thread somebody may like to enlighten me?
I recently outfitted a G5 with ProTools - my last Mac was a G3. When I talked to the suppliers of the computer and ProTools I asked about de-frag tools, having used Norton's with the G3. The suppliers said not to worry as the new operating system on the G5 takes care of all that stuff. Is this true? Sounds dangerous!!!!!!
If anyone can advice me much appreciated Kind regards
Old 25th November 2004
as far as i know defrag is a no no on osx!
Old 25th November 2004
Lives for gear

I agree, what's really going on?
Some people defrag once a week, others tell me to leave my drive alone. Some tell me that if I repair permissions, then I'm ok....

????

Is debating disk maintainance the never ending story??

ruudman
Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

I thought automatic optimisation of the disk happens only on the partition with the running OS on it? OS X spreads many of the files across the disk to get better performance for the OS related tasks IIRC. The optimisation is not really defrag - it rather fragments the disk but in favour of the OS tasks.

I think it is a different story for the audio stuff, and you are supposed to take care of the disks like the old days. I heard it is better to turn off the indexing on the audio partitions, too.

Well, I just migrated from G3 to G5 myself, and I need to look into this topic more.

-Yutaka
Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

I have been recommended "Disk 10" from one of my customers who runs a mac support business. Personally I've never used it so I'm going by heresay.

I just wanted to pick up on a point that Yutaka made. Indexing. What are the benefits of this? I've been told by a few not to do it on the audio drive but why do it at all? Does it speed up access?
Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

Logic/Apple Says:

not gonna type it all... page 103 and 104 of "getting started with logic 7"

Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

Finally, a font that I can read.

I'm going blind.

I'm on a g3 at the moment as well...soon to switch to a G5 (waiting to see how that new cooling system works out over several months of use before I jump in). I should grab a Mac World or something and bone up on disc maintenance.
Old 26th November 2004
Gear Guru

I'm not an expert first off. But what I do, about once a week is repair permissions, use Disk Warrior and Cocktail .

From time to time I also use Carbon Copy Cloner. With this I simply copy the entire drive, reformat and copy it back with everything in place. No fear of losing authorizations. Sure it's an afternoons work, but I just make sandwiches and watch TV, practice guitar. That's the way I defrag.
Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

if anyone is interested, i have a PDF that explains how to optimize an OSX partition specifically for audio/video use written by someone who's been updating it for a while now...ive lost the link to it...but i can email it to you, just PM me with your email...it basically allows you to do what OS9 did ,in that you disable unnecessary extensions and services(networking,internet,printers,etc) ...what this does is that it doesnt really make things faster but more stable/consistent...OSX calls for certain devices randomly, such as active sensing with midi to see if things are online, what this does when your running time-sensitive apps is that it can sometimes disrupt the flow of consistency as it reallocates cpu power in search of these protocols or devices. Effects of these things are timing inconsistency, hicups, possibly crashes, unsmoothness, etc... but ofcourse use at your own risk, because you will alter the OS with this and back ups are necessary, is only for the brave at heart. Ive had no problems doing this its easy, and my trusty old g4 933 runs like butter now,better than OS9 did.

Also if you head over to osxaudio.com there are well written stickies that suggest many other optimizations to use that arent aimed at the heart and soul of darwin

Without all this, i personally dont see a need why OSX in its unoptimized form should eat at 300+megs ram just to run the OS, obviously there is a benefit to trim it down. But if youve got a 2.5ghz it might not matter much.
Old 26th November 2004
Lives for gear

i don't remember where i read this, someone suggested to use both products in tandem - been doing this for over a year + with great results - the computer runs faster after these processes! (2x250gb western dig. hd)

i use disc warrior first to optimize the directory, then techtool4 - every month - no problems

i use the intermediate tests from techtool, then the defragment every couple of months (use the techtool edrive restart partition for tests and defrags)

hope this helps...

-michael
Old 27th November 2004
Gear maniac

From Dr Gruv's Logic Quote:
"The hard drive tools that ship with the operating system are a safe choice but these may not detect, or repair, all problems."
****!
This is one of the 57 reasons why I hate computers. So safe means I put my car in to be fixed, but hey, whoops missed the fault in the braking system...damn shame about that wall!!

Looks like more time to spend on finding a utility that is not only safe, but hey also detects problems! Will check out some suggestions posted here. The thought of not defragging made me nervous anyway...now to become neurotically obssessive. Happens every time I read a manual for an operating system that says "trust me".

Kind regards
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Nut

From time to time I also use Carbon Copy Cloner. With this I simply copy the entire drive, reformat and copy it back with everything in place. No fear of losing authorizations. Sure it's an afternoons work, but I just make sandwiches and watch TV, practice guitar. That's the way I defrag.[/QUOTE]

If I have understood you correctly, you clone your disk using CCC, erase the disk using Disk Utilities and then restore the cloned copy back onto the disk using CCC again? This implies that CCC doesn't really "clone" the disk with all the fragmentation sector by sector, rather it replaces all the files in an orderly fashion back onto the clean erased drive? err right??
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Guru

Yes that's right. I just did it when I transfered my files from my old Mac to the new Dual 2.7. Painless.
Old 1st May 2005
Gear interested

Hi folks,

as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong) copying data to another drive act as a defragmentation process.
here is what i do, i use two drives for my current work and every day i copy/replace the project i'm working on the other drive and work on it, i go back and forth like this until the session is finished and then copy the latest i used on a third drive for archival. (from time to time when the two drives are free i zero format them both)

this works for me, i don't notice any slow disk problem and feel confortable with back-up, and it is far less time consumming than defragmentation.
i also use Macorini to take care of unix maintenance and repair permission stuff.

hope this helps
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Guru

I don't think so . . . Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're not defragmenting anything. You're simply writing more data on increasingly fragmented drives. Now if you used Disk Utility to wipe the drive before you copied - that is copy, erase the disk with DU you just copied from, then copy back. There's a great method of always working with 2 drives that's similar. The next drive is always empty and defragmented. After the session you just copy the data over onto the clean drive and then reformat the one you came from.
Old 1st May 2005
Gear interested

Thanks henry,

i'll check this out, probbly mirror drives for safety and defrag for speed.

best regards
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Defragmentation

OS X v10.3.x will do some defragmentation under the hood. Copying data to a 2nd drive, initializing the first, and then copying the data back is a good way to defrag a drive. The data is defragmented as it is copied between drives. Carbon Copy Cloner is the perfect tool for doing this with your system hard drive. I find that starting CCC and then not even touching the computer is the best way to go. I once moved the mouse on a Mac that was in the midst of CCCing and the clone was NFG.

Repairing disk permissions after installing software and when things seem funky is always a good idea. A copy of DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro is a good investment too. Avoid Norton Utilties. The only good product from Symantec for OS X is Norton Antivirus.
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, since I'm using Pro Tools, I will stick with the option of "BackUp Data-Format The Drive with Disk Utility-Copy BackUped Data again" instead of using a Disk Defrag app.

My question is:

Should I do a simple fast format or it needs to be a painful Zero Level one?

Thx!
Old 5th September 2006
I recommend not defragging or fiddling too much with the disk structure on OS X.

Use the OS X Disk Utility and use OnyX for maintenaince.

That's it. Do it once a month maximum or when it might be needed.
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

Onyx?
Zero data Format? Or Quick Erase?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search