The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac multi-monitor AGP or PCI
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Mac multi-monitor AGP or PCI

A couple of questions;

I'm looking for a multi-monitor AGP or PCI card (preferably AGP) so I can free up some PCI slots in my single-processor G4. I currently have one PCI slot occupied with a monitor card, and the stock AGP. I did a search in the archives and I've been searching the web, nothing.

I'm trying to use the monitors I already have. But if I have to go USB or FireWire, I suppose I could. Can two of the Apple 15" flat screens be used on one USB line? (no data on Apple site).

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Tom. Hopefully I can help you out now.

What video card do you have in your AGP slot? You probably would be able to tell from your bill of sale, system preferences, or by looking at the card.

Since the G4-400 was released, a lot of the base configuration video cards had two outputs, usually one sub-D/VGA and a DVI output. Some of the cards will only mirror the display, but others will support independent displays.

What type are the input jacks on your monitors? You can use conversion adapters to connect to your monitors.

If your card doesn't support dual displays, then you can get one that does for pretty cheaply.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

>Hi Tom. Hopefully I can help you out now.<

Sweet!

>What video card do you have in your AGP slot? You probably would be able to tell from your bill of sale, system preferences, or by looking at the card.<

It's the stock one, I think it's ATI?

>Since the G4-400 was released, a lot of the base configuration video cards had two outputs, usually one sub-D/VGA and a DVI output. Some of the cards will only mirror the display, but others will support independent displays.<

I need one that will support independent monitors.

>What type are the input jacks on your monitors? You can use conversion adapters to connect to your monitors.<

They are the now universal Mac/PC 12 pin(?) type. Those are the sub-D/VGA one's right?

>If your card doesn't support dual displays, then you can get one that does for pretty cheaply.<

I'm checking out the Nvdia site right now, hopefully they've got something.

Thanks!
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

It turns out that both ATI and Nvidia have multi-monitor cards. After talking to them, it turns out that My G4 may have either a stock PCI monitor card OR a stock AGP monitor card. It depends on when I bought it. I'll have to go home and check for sure, but I know that when I bought my second monitor card it was PCI.

The quest continues.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

is this the model of your monitors?

If so, you'll need an adaptor, because it only works with the ADC connector (apple proprietary). There are DVI-ADC and VGA-ADC adaptors so you'll be AOK.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I wish! No, I've got old 17" CRT's. I'd love to change to a pair of the Apple Flats, but I want to explore the cheap alternatives first (by keeping my current monitors).
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

anyone know if its possible to put a ACD on the second VGA port on the dual cards? i was thinking about another 17" ACD but if i cant i might just go get a 17" regular LCD to add on... im needing dual monitors now. i dont want a CRT which i have tons of extras of those.... actually this machine im typing on has 2x 17" CRTs and i would love to replace these with LCD's at some point as well. real estate on the CRT's suck ass.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Tom, when you find out your video card model, call up apple or the video card manufacturer. They should be able to tell you if it can do dual display.

Alpha, you -can- put an ACD on your second port. You have a dual ghz system right?

BTW, I know a bit about this stuff because I spent a while figgering it out for meself.
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

how do i do that?

you know what pisses me off though with the ACD's? the power for the computer is the monitors power as well. i used to love turning off my monitor while mixing... now i cant do that. bastids.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

apple sells an adapter, and "dr. bott" sells a different type. buy accordingly.
Old 18th January 2003
Mac Moderator

Ok, if you've been told you could have an AGP or a PCI graphics card then you have either a G4350 or 400mhz right?

Forget Appion. They dont support Mac anymore, and the Jeronimo was always a pain in the butt to get working reliably.....Digi were desperate for a dual monitor solution when they approved the Appion.

If you have PCI graphic slot, then you'll need an ATI Radeon 7000. This supports 1 x VGA and either another VGA or a DVI Digital connection.
On the AGP side best solution for music is the Radeon 8500 from Ati again. There drivers are updated constantly, with great OSX support also.

I've used both cards in music G4's with zero problems. I always disable the Ati 3D drivers though in extensions manager. And of course it goes without saying that you run your screens in thousands of colors.

Daw manufacturers dont test 'replacement' graphics cards anymore as new G4's are all dual monitor capable anyway. So you wont see the Radeon 8500 in Digi's compatibility list, but it was used in the G4 800mhz quicksilver new in the box, and they cleared that.

You can tell if you have a PCI or AGP G4 by looking where your monitor is attached, and seeing if theres 1 or 2 monitor connections. The second one being a larger DVI connection on AGP machines. none on PCI.

Al.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Excellent info thanks Mcal. I've been checking out the Radeon info on their webpage. Where I'm getting confused is; the slot that the monitor card goes into is listed as a PCI card in the System Information, but the slot itself doesn't look like a PCI slot. Normally I would trust the System Information, but I also have another single monitor PCI video card that I used previously. It looks completely different. The slots are in different locations.

Would an AGP card show up as a PCI card in the System Information? Seems weird to me. Unfortunately, the two Mac places in town don't know anything. In fact, they have basically said that I'm on my own.
Old 20th January 2003
Mac Moderator

Hi Tom,
Yep. I'm pretty sure it does say PCI in system profiler... Do you have the DVI connection on the back of the graphics card? If so its AGP for certain.

You'll need a Radeon 8500 or maybe the new 9000 mac edition, but benefits for music use are debatable.. (larger v-ram etc). It comes with all you need to run 2 x VGA CRT's

Please dont bother with Appion or Promax.. they have no OSX support and dodgy drivers in some respects..

Good Luck.

Al.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

It just has the single normal (D-sub?) connector. I think I'm just going to pull it out and physically take it to one of the Apple stores and say I need the Radeon two monitor version of this card. I'm getting tired of guessing IYKWIM.
Old 20th January 2003
Mac Moderator

Tom,
Its PCI. Trust me

Order a Radeon 7000. I'll buy it from you if I'm wrong...

The card looks different because its 66mhz PCI Card and slot.

Al.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Word.
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

interesting thread

I have a g4 upgraded to 1.2 owc murc extreem. It was a dual 450.
It's working out very nicley with pt le 002R but my original agp vid card will only support mirroring. I want 2 separate screens. It pisses me off that I can buy a $39
radeon card form my pc (1 vga 1 dvi with adaptor) but the cheapest mac card seems to be the radeon 9800 mac pro for $150 ish. including the dvi to vga adaptor.

Can anyone point me to an apple parts picking place that has yanked oem apple dual monitor support cards on the cheap? I've done a bit of googling and found few options.

I really try not to do ebay anymore, and even there the prices arent too good.

Also: Will the ati 7500 oem mac card work in my g4? I've seem them cheap on ebay.
Old 9th August 2006
Here for the gear

Question can you help

Quote:
Originally Posted by theom View Post
I have a g4 upgraded to 1.2 owc murc extreem. It was a dual 450.
It's working out very nicley with pt le 002R but my original agp vid card will only support mirroring. I want 2 separate screens. It pisses me off that I can buy a $39
radeon card form my pc (1 vga 1 dvi with adaptor) but the cheapest mac card seems to be the radeon 9800 mac pro for $150 ish. including the dvi to vga adaptor.

Can anyone point me to an apple parts picking place that has yanked oem apple dual monitor support cards on the cheap? I've done a bit of googling and found few options.

I really try not to do ebay anymore, and even there the prices arent too good.

Also: Will the ati 7500 oem mac card work in my g4? I've seem them cheap on ebay.
Did you find an affordable video card? I'm looking for the same thing and the best price I've found for an ATI AGP 128 Mb card is $120-129ish.

Thanks!
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you find an affordable video card? I'm looking for the same thing and the best price I've found for an ATI AGP 128 Mb card is $120-129ish.

Thanks!
I found a used vid card pulled from a slightly higher end g4.
ebay, $79 buy it now.
Mac ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP 64 MB video card OS X Apple.

Ebay may be the best cheap way out.

there is one on ebay now at $35

I got mine pulled from a quicksilver g4.

I think there is a guy who can swap firmware from a windows ati 9000 to make it work for a mac, but too much for me to deal with so I made sure mine was pulled from a mac.

I use a 19 inch lcd and an older crt 20. both at 1024

the card I got had a vga out and an apple adp ? out. So I had to buy an apple to vga adaptor thing for $20 from owc computers.

Works great.

hope it helps
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear