The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
plugins that we all need... suggestions
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

plugins that we all need... suggestions

Hi friends!
This questions goes to the heavy TDM plugin users...
I have been using Waves TDm bundle, TC Works Master X, Echo Farm and Amp Farm. Yes, all them original and properly authorized. I really do notlike C1 very much, so I have been thinking of checking bomb factory stuff.
Would you recommend me anything else at the same price range? Mc DSP or so?
Many thanks

Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

Audio Ease AltiVerb is now available in HTDM format, so it'll work with your PT rig. I use it native under Digital Performer, and it's amazing. The sound quality rivals hardware sampling-reverb boxes with five-figure price tags. I also really like their "Periscope" EQ plug-in. Very surgical, and just the thing when you want a different flavor than Q10. For more high-end EQ's check out the Sony Oxford plug and the Massenburg plug too.

I'm on TDM only when I'm in someone else's studio, but I like both the McDSP stuff and Digi's own Reverb One.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve, but how much DSP hungry will be altiverb considering a 24 track session under PT TDM mix system? ( d24 + mix farm + dsp Farm)
Thanks
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

BF's classic comps (1176 & LA-2A) are quite nice and useable (unlike the C1...). The new Sony comp is a serious contender for the best dynamics in TDM land and to me the Sony eq is still unchallenged as the premier eq plug-in for PT. (... or all DAWs for that matter!)

Cheers!
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

I recently bought the DUY Global bundle and have found it to make more difference than ANY plug in (s) I have used before. I find Tape, Shape and Wide particularly good. In fact the only thing I dont use regularly is max as I prefer the L2 for that kind of thing.
Jack
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

Very nice info my friends!
In most situations I still prefer the DIGI rack ordinary compressor than C1 from Waves. Although Q10 is an essential tool. I will look for the BF and DUY bundle you guys recommended me. BTW.. do you have the DUY page?

How much for the Massenburg and Sony stuff?
Thanks
Wanna see others input either!
Nice 2003
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

Alecio, to answer the question you asked me, AltiVerb for Pro Tools is a HTDM plug, which means that it uses your host computer's CPU but otherwise interacts with you and your mix just like any other PT plug. It's a hog, no doubt about it... expect it to tie up about half of, say, a 933 MHz G4, and 60% of a 733. Of course, in my world of Digital Performer, the host CPU is doing everything else too. But yeah, it wont matter how many farm cards etc you have.
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Steve! Hany of your friends set up a 24 track session at a G4 800 using Altiverb at 44.1/24bits?
I genereally do not go over 24 or 32 tracks but like to use around 6 EFX returns and some Q4´s and digi Compressors.]
To relax the G4 I still and like to use hardware efx as well as 02R stuff.
Thanks for any further info
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

Alecio

Try checking the guest moderator archives -Charles Dye's November session
will supply you with some excellent and interesting reading on plug-in's.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

THANKS!
in fact I have read almost all his site
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

Universal Audio has announced TDM versions of their plugins. When those ship, they would definitely be worth checking out in TDM-land. IMO, they are the best plugins I've used, specifically the LA-2 and Pultec.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

Interestingly I have never had a successful application for the BF comp/limit plugs. Not once. I can get very useable results from the c1 but as to the BF stuff, Nada.

Its a funny old world huh?
Old 9th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

CompressorBank is my favourite comp plug-in - the filtering options are very flexible. Couldn't finish a job without L2... other "essentials" would be BF PSA1 (mostly for drums), Lexiverb, Pitch "n" Time and DUY Wide... Waves you already have. Never buy a thing without using the demos on a job.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

thanks for remebering me!
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Addict

i also am not crazy about the c1...but i love the renassance compressor from waves....also mcdsp is great stuff...i have the bomb factory plugs but just never seem to use them....
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

I've recently fallen in love with the McDsp Multiband compressor. You can easily achieve anything you want on almost anything you start with on drums, from a "thwack" on the snare to a "thump" on a kick. I highly recommend McDsp products. (although I don't know about the synth plug in since I haven't tried it).
Old 20th January 2003
Mindreader

I need a plug in that monitors how long i have been in front of the computer after I have quit my music software, and if its longer than half an hour flashes up 'GO AND DO SOMETHING ELSE SOMEWHERE ELSE STOP STARING AT THIS FRIKKIN SCREEN YOU'VE BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY YOU NEED TO GO AND STARE AT SOMETHING FURTHER THAN 2 FEET AWAY OR YOU'LL GET EYE CANCER OR SOMETHING YOU FREAK'

This is so I can stop having to THINK this stuff while I'm lying in bed trying to remove the square white haze before me which the sheep are avoiding like mad.

So hurry up someone and invent it.
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Digital Egg timer.

seriously, it works.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

or before you start losing your girlfriend or start suffering from fibromialgy.
:(
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

I will be installing old AMP Farms on my G4 800 with PT mix 5.1.1. Possibly it will be version 1.0 or 1.5. Do they function fine with MAC OS 9.2.2 and PT TDM at 5.1.1?
thanks
(verybasic question I imagine...)
Old 30th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

AmpFarm 1.5 on OS9.2.2 with PT 5.1.3 is fine... so I don't see why 5.1.1 shouldn't work.

Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Smile

Thanks Rab! In fact I was gifted with both versions, one from local Digi and another from a north american friend.
Nice weekend

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search